The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 378 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 321Likes

post #11311 of 11329 Old 02-05-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11329 Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I just realized, as Bulldogger was using a non-MQA DAC - the Gen VIII Series 3 - I assume he was using the brand new ROON upgrade to version 1.3 which includes MQA decoding.
With software thats ROON enabled, MQA files can only unwrap to 96-24. You need a MQA DAC to unwrap to 192-24.

I personally think if MQA makes it, it will do so for streaming services. Memory is cheap whether for 96-24, 192-24, heck, even for up to 4XDSD! And I'm not surprised that Meridian's "tinkering" with the original audio file, despite Meridian's bragging that their proprietary "lossless" compression doesn't negatively impact audio quality, might not for some of us crazy long-term audiophiles result in sonics not quite what Meridian wants to sell us! Nonetheless, for those who want the ease and expense of Tidal, etc with streaming, MQA can be quite a good thing - but I do not need it in my system as far as I am concerned!

Yea, I have listened to that LA Woman "The Doors" SACD - its awesome sounding!
The Roon 1.3 is does not have MQA decoding yet. The only way to decode in SW at the moment is to use the Tidal desktop app.

I actually find 24/41 or 48 sounds worse at the moment through Roon.

So at this moment you can't do a 100 % correct comparison of MQA with your Theta DAC, unless you only use Tidal Desktop app.
And then you can't play any local hires files.

When Roon implement MQA decoding, it will be more fair and correct to compare the different formats.

Use a MicroRendu and the Uptone LPS-1 for best SQ.

I've also have an Explorer2 DAC connected to my Gen8 for some MQA testing.

Last edited by ANRE; 02-06-2017 at 01:52 AM.
post #11313 of 11329 Old 02-06-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta and Mc's View Post
Looking at the Aurender X100 or N10. What do people think or recommend? Are these units worth the money or is there a better option? By the way hooking up to a Casablanca IIIhd with 3 extreme ver 2 dacs. All of my current music files are ripped flac playing through a Crestron adms g2. Thanks for any help in advance!
If you like to use Roon. Maybe controlled by an iPad (with 64 bit OS), you should be very happy with SonicTransporter. Topped up with a MicroRendu powered by a LPS-1

You can't swap SSD internal yourself, so you must decide where you like to keep your music before purchase.

Also the SonicTransporter only supports the use of one USB for storage.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/i...MO9dPGU0m9J.97

post #11314 of 11329 Old 02-06-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
If you like to use Roon. Maybe controlled by an iPad (with 64 bit OS), you should be very happy with SonicTransporter. Topped up with a MicroRendu powered by a LPS-1

You can't swap SSD internal yourself, so you must decide where you like to keep your music before purchase.

Also the SonicTransporter only supports the use of one USB for storage.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/i...MO9dPGU0m9J.97

I was one of the first to get the Microrendu, and also an early one to get the Sonic Transporter i5 (after using a CAPSv3.0 for ROON Core previously).

Actually I have the Sonore Signature Power Supply which may be even better sounding than the LPS-1 - but admittedly, the LPS-1 is much cheaper and performs admirably!

If one has the CBIV (or CBIIIHD) but doesn't have the new Extreme D3 DACs, then I wouldn't even consider spending more for the power supply than the LPS-1.

For ROON with an iPad, you've got to have an iPad Air 2 or newer! I srongly recommend what I moved up to, from the iPad Air 2 to the iPad Pro. the larger screen is so much better for ROON's graphic display, its amazing!

Assuming you can like I do connect by hard wired ethernet cable your network server or USB drive (with network connection, like the WDMYCloud), just get an inexpensive WDMyCloud and connect the Sonic Transporter and Microrendu and the WDMyCloud each by ethernet cable to your network router or access point!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 02-06-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #11315 of 11329 Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM

There exist nothing better than the LPS-1...

..but there are many good LPS that can replace your SMPS 😀

So Steve I disagree a bit with there. The technology behind LPS-1 is unique. Only Winni Rossi have somthing similar.

But of cause replacing possible noisy smps with linear power supplies is normally a good idea, but in my opinion more a waste of money.

Then a good conditioner and or a isolation transformer may serve you better. Many bad ones exist. So I will not make any recommendations 😀

I would like to just tip you and others on something else:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...rorendu-31110/
post #11316 of 11329 Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So does this look right?

1) SONICTRANSPORTER I5 MICRORENDU IFI BUNDLE

2) Sonore Signature Series Power Supply.

3) Roon subscription.

4) How is everyone transferring usb audio output into our Theta's?
post #11317 of 11329 Old 02-08-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
So does this look right?

3) Roon subscription.

I use the Berkely Audio USB to digital converter (using a digital AES/EBU cable to CBIV). Sounded great both with my previous external Gen VIII Series 3 DACs and my now internal D3 DACs.

My only caution is that if your DACs for front stereo are only D2 or less, I wouldn't spend all the moola$$ on the better more expensive power supply

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #11318 of 11329 Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
I have different USB-S/PDIF converters that I use for different systems at home: a cheap Chinese model, Musical Fidelity, Halide (one of the original converters that brings attention to the word asynchronous - good review by Stereophile's John Atkinson here http://www.stereophile.com/content/h...d-da-converter), and Bel Canto.

The Musical Fidelity converter is very good and available readily on ebay. There are two versions IIRC so you want the newer more expensive one. The biggest jump in quality IMHO is when the converter has its own power supply (Bel Canto Reference Link).

The Berkeley unit that Steve uses is widely considered to be the "best" btw.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-review CBIII HD - the processor for music lovers: clarity and richness, stunning imaging, off-the-chart dynamics.
High-End Speaker Impressions & Audio Comments Vinyl and tube preamp = completion of a fantastic audio journey.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #11319 of 11329 Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
LKS Audio another small Chinese DAC Firm makes some decent Sabre DACs. Not bad for the price but obviously cant compete with the big boys.
post #11320 of 11329 Old 02-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am currently running a Mac mini to the CBIV (Xtreme D3 DACs) via HDMI. Prior to the owning the CB, I was using the Ayre QB-9 USB DAC. I am considering switching to a setup similar to Steve Bruzonsky (sonictransporter,microrendu, Berkeley USB converter) but my question is this. Has anybody done an A/B comparison of USB vs HDMI on the CBIV for their music server? If so, is there an audible difference and if so, does the difference warrant the extra $$$?
post #11321 of 11329 Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
I am currently running a Mac mini to the CBIV (Xtreme D3 DACs) via HDMI. Prior to the owning the CB, I was using the Ayre QB-9 USB DAC. I am considering switching to a setup similar to Steve Bruzonsky (sonictransporter,microrendu, Berkeley USB converter) but my question is this. Has anybody done an A/B comparison of USB vs HDMI on the CBIV for their music server? If so, is there an audible difference and if so, does the difference warrant the extra $$$?
If you have Theta's internal D3 Extreme Dacs, or external Gen VIII Series 3 DACs (which I used to have), and use the Berkley USB converter, all as I do, at least with my front end (Aerial 7s, 2 JL Audio f212 subwoofers, Theta Prometheus monoblocks), there is a stark sonic improvement particularly on 2 channel for 2 channel. Period. No doubt about it.
Molasar likes this.

My home theater at:
post #11322 of 11329 Old 02-14-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
So does this look right?

3) Roon subscription.

!) Yes
2) Start without. You do not need it at all. And if you like to have one, it should be used for the SonicTransporter. Paul Hynes PS may be an other choise. Or possible even better Vinnie Rossi. But you may pay a lot for little improvement.
3) Yes. The absolutly best !!!!. Buy lifetime.
4) Buy the Singxer F1. around $199. You will be very happy. Very !!!! (Holo Audio). Later you can test version that accept LPS-1 (buy a second one) power requirements. And use a Vbus isolator on your USB cable. And experiment with expensive USB cables. And have fun with Ethernet cables, switches, FMC's and Ethernet isolators. The options and variations are endless.....

5) Use the LPS-1 to power your MicroRendu. It's a must. The best upgrade you will ever get. I testet the LPS-1 on a Squeezebox Touch. It was night and day. You will not believe before you hear

What ever others may say about a LPS supply for the MicroRendu I will disagree. And it's totally useless in combination with the LPS-1. In my opinion replasing your SMPS with LPS will in some cases raise the SQ, becuase you may reduse the AC noise from those SMPS into your other equipment. Which also a good conditioner will do. So probably better to put your money into one of those. I'm sure if you ever test a recomended one, you do not see the need of adding extra expensive LPS. Adding LPS should be on the bottom of you list. If you can afford, purchase Vinnie Rossi for you Sonic Transporter.

(Yes a LPS only on you MicroRendu will most likly be better than a SMPS, but what a vaste of money over a LPS-1).

And Even today you can just install Tidal on your PC, do the correct settings, add a Singxer F1, and have fun with MQA.

Let us know how you proceed.

Last edited by ANRE; 02-14-2017 at 06:37 AM.
post #11323 of 11329 Old 02-14-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I have different USB-S/PDIF converters that I use for different systems at home: a cheap Chinese model, Musical Fidelity, Halide (one of the original converters that brings attention to the word asynchronous - good review by Stereophile's John Atkinson here http://www.stereophile.com/content/h...d-da-converter), and Bel Canto.

The Musical Fidelity converter is very good and available readily on ebay. There are two versions IIRC so you want the newer more expensive one. The biggest jump in quality IMHO is when the converter has its own power supply (Bel Canto Reference Link).

The Berkeley unit that Steve uses is widely considered to be the "best" btw.
A hiFace EVO II with LPS-1 is also a option if you like as an example. I've already verified that the EVO can accept 7 VDC.

The best may as well be this one. https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/
Then remove the internal PS and add a Uptone Audio LPS-1. It has been done with great success. Just google it.

You may not start with spending to much money on a converter yet. Things may soon change. Your Theta will one day get USB interface. Rates above 24/192 may soon be the new standard. (Not that it has to be that much better).
Singxer use new technology, and thats why some or many rank this cheap converter above or equal to the Berkely. Google and see for your self.
post #11324 of 11329 Old 02-14-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
You can start with upgrading your Mini
https://uptoneaudio.com/collections/...roller-kit-mmk

And have you installed Roon on your Mac ? or Tidal ?

....and again test with a cheap usb/spdif converter, I'm sure you will find this better. But you are not telling us if you are uing LMS, Roon, Tidal or what ever. That is importat as well.

Then you can add a MicroRendu or similar.

With the SonicTransporter you get a 60 days free Roon account. But I guess you know you can test both Roon and Tidal for free for a couple of weeks.

Before copy Steve you should decide where you want to keep your music. Also you may like to decide of you like to use upsampling or not. Most like the upsampling in Roon PCM to 192. But you can even go further and upsample to DSD 512, which then would require a Holo Spring DAC in front of your Theta (as an example).
Then the SonicTransporter i5 is probably not powerfull enough. Then you may like this overpriced? one. https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/c...r-roon-1-3-dsp
Why not do better than Steve

Remeber the SonicTransporter i5 only supports one USB disk. And you can not upgrade the SonicTransporter i5 your self with more storage. For the i7 I do not know if that is the same case. But you should check.

Your MAC will probably sound quite good compared to a SonicTransporter i5. You should test it's USB capabillities.
Also there may come a new SonicTransporter soon with two network interfaces. The second RJ45 for you Ethernet/USB converter like the MicroRendo or a SBT, or any RAAT ready device you choose.

Why two RJ45:
post #11325 of 11329 Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You can start with upgrading your Mini
https://uptoneaudio.com/collections/...roller-kit-mmk

And have you installed Roon on your Mac ? or Tidal ?

....and again test with a cheap usb/spdif converter, I'm sure you will find this better. But you are not telling us if you are uing LMS, Roon, Tidal or what ever. That is importat as well.

Then you can add a MicroRendu or similar.

With the SonicTransporter you get a 60 days free Roon account. But I guess you know you can test both Roon and Tidal for free for a couple of weeks.

Before copy Steve you should decide where you want to keep your music. Also you may like to decide of you like to use upsampling or not. Most like the upsampling in Roon PCM to 192. But you can even go further and upsample to DSD 512, which then would require a Holo Spring DAC in front of your Theta (as an example).
Then the SonicTransporter i5 is probably not powerfull enough. Then you may like this overpriced? one. https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/c...r-roon-1-3-dsp
Why not do better than Steve

Remeber the SonicTransporter i5 only supports one USB disk. And you can not upgrade the SonicTransporter i5 your self with more storage. For the i7 I do not know if that is the same case. But you should check.

Your MAC will probably sound quite good compared to a SonicTransporter i5. You should test it's USB capabillities.
Also there may come a new SonicTransporter soon with two network interfaces. The second RJ45 for you Ethernet/USB converter like the MicroRendo or a SBT, or any RAAT ready device you choose.

Why two RJ45:
Anre, folks need to get into this gradually. All you are gonna do is scare him into getting a worse sounding poor software prepackaged unit like an Aurender. Let him go "simple" as he starts into "computer"/music server and get more tweaked/complex as time goes on like us!!! Don't confuse him! He will get great sound going "simple" like I suggested above
and certainly he can go with the less expensive external power supply as you suggested - though neither you nor I know which one sounds "better" in our system, you because you never demoed the Sonore Signature Power Supply, me because I had that power supply many months before the LPS-1 at a much cheaper price became available. Certainly I tend to "counsel" folks that going the LPS-1 route should give them great performance at a fantastic price!

My home theater at:
post #11326 of 11329 Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 PM

No LPS-1 ?

Steve

Is my understanding that you don't have a LPS-1 is you system correct ?

Now I'm scared
post #11327 of 11329 Old 02-14-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Steve

Is my understanding that you don't have a LPS-1 is you system correct ?

Now I'm scared
You should be!!!

I got one of the very first Microrendus to come out. And I quickly got one of the first Sonore Signature Power Supplies tuned for the Microrendu. I had a previous HDPlex
(from my CAPSv4, shortly thereafter sold), but it was an earlier model which did not have an output adjustable, so I had to use its 9v output. the Microrendu sounded great, appreciably better than my previous CAPSv4. But then I got the Sonore power supply and I was in another world. I never got the LPS-1 to try - it came out many months later.

My home theater at:
post #11328 of 11329 Old 02-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I never got the LPS-1 to try - it came out many months later.
If you decide to try the LPS-1, and find it doesn't add anything, I purchase it from you at full price. (Including the $15 Meanwell smps).

I like to try the Singxer SU-1, but powered by an LPS-1, so I will most likely need a second one.

Actually have two here now as I'm still testing my old hiFace EVO vs the Vbus powered Singxer F1. (Borrowed my friends LPS-1).

If Theta announces RAAT and USB support, things may change 😀
post #11329 of 11329 Old Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Paul Hynes PS may be an other choise.
Oh please don't. Such a basic regulator design flogged to people who know no better.

But let's please also remember we are talking about powering a digital device here. There is zero going on in the analogue domain. I built this supply for my audio server. It features a fully discrete 'super regulator' for each of 12V, 5V and 3V3 each capable of at least 5A. I also designed a circuit to manage the power-on sequencing required by the motherboard. Does it make a difference? Dunno. Quite possibly not. Is it possible to design a better power supply - most likely not with that current capability. For current needs up to 1A my BJT variants of this work will out perform it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATX PSU 3.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	1992585  

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!

Last edited by stevekale; Today at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)