The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 380 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 334Likes

post #11371 of 11388 Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Some Roon inspiration for Theta and everybody else;

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...u-have-to-buy/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 11388 Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I used the stock cords in the first audition. To answer your question yes I have changed the power cords. I received a low price for buying all at once. I believe Steve has changed his out also? I have only changed one 20 amp in my system and that was for my preamplifier.
My power cords were changed years ago and I don't feel like demoing and spending $$ on newer ones. I'm not gonna say the name of the company because for other reasons I can't recommend that company anymore.
Sharp1080 likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #11373 of 11388 Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
1. So you will have to buy one of the new P2 cards for Atmos's ceiling speakers to work?
2. The standard Premium cards will not work for Atmos's ceiling speakers?
1. Correct (with my blue addition).
2. Correct.

All cards work for the lower speakers.
Need new cards (D3 or P2) for the upper ceiling speakers

post #11374 of 11388 Old 03-17-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
My power cords were changed years ago and I don't feel like demoing and spending $$ on newer ones. I'm not gonna say the name of the company because for other reasons I can't recommend that company anymore.
Ok thanks folks. I appreciate it. I just ordered my diy parts. Those 20 amp iec plugs are unbelievably expensive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #11375 of 11388 Old 03-17-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Ok thanks folks. I appreciate it. I just ordered my diy parts. Those 20 amp iec plugs are unbelievably expensive.

I have a 20 amp audiophile power cord that I used years ago on what I can't recall - haven't used it in many many years - will be using it with the ATI multi-channel amp for my Dolby Atmos/DTS-X!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #11376 of 11388 Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Marktunis on Audiogon....makes great power cords...can do anything you want. I've used him for years...not only beautiful...but they sound great.
post #11377 of 11388 Old 03-18-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok thanks for the info. I will look him up in the future.

I went ahead and bought some Neotech 11 gauge OCC copper wire, and Neotech OCC copper male plugs. And Wattgate 20 amp female IEC plugs for the amp ends. I am doing three cords. Two for the two amps. And one going from my sequencer to a custom made wall plate with audio grade IEC jack's. The cord plugs into my sequencer and the other end plugs into this IEC plug. Then I have 12gauge Romex going from this to the front plug. All my equipment is on one double 50amp breaker. Even my plugs in the front of my room. They are built into my stage floor. The sequencer uses a 50 amp plug and some huge wire. My buddy custom modified this thing.

Nyal Mellor likes this.

7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
post #11378 of 11388 Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I will look him up in the future.

I went ahead and bought some Neotech 11 gauge OCC copper wire, and Neotech OCC copper male plugs. And Wattgate 20 amp female IEC plugs for the amp ends. I am doing three cords. Two for the two amps. And one going from my sequencer to a custom made wall plate with audio grade IEC jack's. The cord plugs into my sequencer and the other end plugs into this IEC plug. Then I have 12gauge Romex going from this to the front plug. All my equipment is on one double 50amp breaker. Even my plugs in the front of my room. They are built into my stage floor. The sequencer uses a 50 amp plug and some huge wire. My buddy custom modified this thing.

With products as high end as theta, do these modifications really make a difference? I would think that you would get a pretty good power cord with a $10-$20K preamp or amplifier.
post #11379 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
With products as high end as theta, do these modifications really make a difference? I would think that you would get a pretty good power cord with a $10-$20K preamp or amplifier.
You get a basic power cord with pretty much all gear including high end. Yes power cords can make a difference. But one must be judicious regarding how high the sky one spends!

My home theater at:
post #11380 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 43
When I was younger and much more foolish I 'upgraded' my power cords. But now that I have spent a good deal of time learning more about electronics, designing power supplies and building amps, I have realised that spending money on a power cord is about as foolish as it gets in this hobby. Common mode noise filters and DC blockers (to stop transformers buzzing), by all means. But fancy plugs and thicker copper is a complete waste of money. So you buy some big fat copper for your cable and a cool looking plug. Do you upgrade the IEC inlet of your amp? What about the wiring from the amp's IEC inlet to the PSU circuit board? Oh and that's even before we look at your wall socket, your house's internal wiring and your local electricity supplier's grid. Seriously, spend your money elsewhere until you've got nothing else to spend it on.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #11381 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well at this point Steve I am at that spot where I am just basically let's say modifying my system as I am waiting for new components to arrive. I know that it won't be a huge difference if at all. But I wanted to build them myself. I saved tons of money.
And yes I have thought of every thing you just mentioned. And actually considered it.

I am waiting for components to come out that are long overdue. And at this point getting a little bored with my system. So figured for very little cash layout I could jumpstart my system with my love for tweaking.

post #11382 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Nothing wrong with that and it can be fun. I was just responding to Jrunr.

I am building another mono version of the dual mono amp I completed late last year. It's for my centre channel just so that my entire front sound stage is powered by the same amp. Then it will be a hiatus until we have settled into Miami.

I was thinking the best upgrade for an audio system that is yet to be invented is a cloaking device so that it is all completely invisible to the wife. Mine simply doesn't understand that sound requires the movement of air and wants to jettison my Eggworks speakers. I think she'd be happy if the cargo container simply went overboard...

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #11383 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
Nothing wrong with that and it can be fun. I was just responding to Jrunr.

I am building another mono version of the dual mono amp I completed late last year. It's for my centre channel just so that my entire front sound stage is powered by the same amp. Then it will be a hiatus until we have settled into Miami.

I was thinking the best upgrade for an audio system that is yet to be invented is a cloaking device so that it is all completely invisible to the wife. Mine simply doesn't understand that sound requires the movement of air and wants to jettison my Eggworks speakers. I think she'd be happy if the cargo container simply went overboard...
Lol. That is to funny. Mine wishes Emotivas factory would just burn down. Lol

I was showing her prices in the Music Direct catalog last night. She was in shock. And it's not as if I haven't spent a ton. Heck I have bought a Krell Foundation, Chorus, Theta Dreadnaught D, and now two of these new ATI amps. But it's not Bat and DCS. And that Esoteric CD spinner. Her jaw dropped. And some of them power cables, Geez. I would really like a Cassablanca. But I know she would put me in front of the FedEx truck when it got here.

If I just made more money. Steve, do you need a personal assistant? Lol I have no idea what I am doing but I can sure make it all sound real good.

post #11384 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I really feel for you guys trying to enjoy your systems

I remember well the sacrifices of audio given up for the sake of being married. I am obviously divorced now (17 years) since I retrieved my testicles. I do recall silencing my then wife when questioning her shoe purchases. It's all about controlling you. My ex wife told me the day she moved out, "now you can fix your room up the way you want to"! Such a big difference now in my life.
post #11385 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I remember well the sacrifices of audio given up for the sake of being married. I am obviously divorced now (17 years) since I retrieved my testicles. I do recall silencing my then wife when questioning her shoe purchases. It's all about controlling you. My ex wife told me the day she moved out, "now you can fix your room up the way you want to"! Such a big difference now in my life.
Funny!!!@@@

Yea I now have total freedom within what I want to spend. But my wife unexpectedly passed away going on 5 years now, after 30 years of marriage. I miss her and having to sneak new stuff into the side door of my audio/home theater addition. She knew what I was doing!

Ok Theta luvers, time for everyone to chip in how their marriages/significant others/lack of significant others affect their Theta habit. HA!
Sharp1080 and thezaks like this.

My home theater at:
post #11386 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Funny!!!@@@

Yea I now have total freedom within what I want to spend. But my wife unexpectedly passed away going on 5 years now, after 30 years of marriage. I miss her and having to sneak new stuff into the side door of my audio/home theater addition. She knew what I was doing!

Ok Theta luvers, time for everyone to chip in how their marriages/significant others/lack of significant others affect their Theta habit. HA!
I remember it all Steve! We had just started to communicate a bit.
Another story! I remember sneaking in the house a pair of race seats for my car trying to figure out how to break it to her. I hid them in the attic for a week! She hated those seats. Not as bad as the stereo in our home because she would listen to music occasionally.

Last edited by Sharp1080; Yesterday at 03:36 PM.
post #11387 of 11388 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mine really isn't bad. She really let's me buy anything. She may give me a little grief if it isn't reasonable​. Which sometimes I am not. But she has actually agreed for me to buy stuff that I really can't afford before. I just start feeling guilty and sell it when money gets tight.

Sharp1080 likes this.

post #11388 of 11388 Old Today, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have made the switch to ROON from J River for music. I will be getting a new server shortly, so presently Roon is running only on the media PC via HDMI.

I have an issue with Roon that I can't resolve. I want stereo albums to be matrixed to 7.1 on the CBIV, but they play stereo only regardless of what output options I choose on the CBIV.

No issue here with J River. All stereo albums or concerts play as 7.1. Not a huge deal as I play very little 2 channel, however it would be preferable to keep all music in Roon and not have to switch to J River for 2 channel.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page