The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 373Likes
post #11521 of 11541 Unread Today, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For those of you like trying Roon and instead use Rock and for whatever reason does not like to purchase a SonicTransporter

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roc...vailable/26174

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Suggest NUC from Roon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/a...1&Quantity.3=1

Or this one:

And if you totally like to waste money: (in my opinion)

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...ucleus-server/

I can recommend HQPlayer and since Theta doesn't do DSD, almost any HW will do. There is a new HQPlayer embedded ongoing, that will make you run HQPlayer headless.

If anyone would try the Holo Spring DAC in order to test how DSD sound applied to Theta, I would be very interested to hear a report how that sounds.

Steve B, something for you to try ?
But you haven't gone the HQPlayer route yet, have you ?
Though you may did some upsamling using Roon itself ?

Last edited by ANRE; Today at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11541 Unread Today, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_lewis View Post
I decided to front end the Gustard U12 with a new small fanless pc. picked up this one from amazon and it is a real good deal. I usually build my own from a barebones case but this one was such a good configuration and form factor for the price, couldn't pass it up. It works work great right out of the box, easy setup- it even comes with an RF remote. And, it dual boots to android 5.1 or windows 10- All pre configured. Very well done. And the foot print is smaller than a CD case.
https://www.amazon.com/CHUWI-HiBox-x.../dp/B01N30SSAJ

So I have the Gustard connected, ASIO drivers and USB Audio 2.0 drivers set up, and using hifi bridge software to bypass the internal windows directsound and go from source (tidal, foobar etc) direct to the Gustard XMOS USB Audio 2.0 driver. the unit is outputting 24/384 from AES, but of course I am going to have to reduce this to 192 for input to the Theta CB's AES.

I did some very basic quick listening, and even at 44.1, the Gustard U12 is very black, open and silent. Wide stage. It's a freaking ridiculous bargain of an audiophile device for less than $200. The case, display, fit and finish are top notch. The pcb is done with pride. The linear power supply is well done. I would probably upgrade the caps with something better quality but that's about it.

Tomorrow will install Roon and get the rest of things set up.
Is that mini PC for Roon, or ment to have Linux (or "bad" windows) installed and the Roon Brigde SW on it ?

In any cause I suggest you purchase the ISO REGEN powered by an LPS-1 in addition in front of your Bastard DDC.
And use the USPCB's switch to remove the USB 5V, that I think you do not need.
post #11523 of 11541 Unread Today, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I'm bypassing the internal windows audio mapper by using VB hifi bridge/virtual cable software, sound goes direct from source (tidal etc) through the hifi bridge software, to ASIO, then direct to the USB2.0 Audio device (Gustard). This preserves the quality of the audio. the odd thing with USB 2.0 Audio is it dos not show up as an audio device in Windows sound devices- only the USB Audio 1.0 branch of it shows up, and if you use that it will restrict the sound. It took a bit of figuring out to get it working. At first it kept limiting me to 44.1/16.
Your Gustard is a USB to SPDIF converter. Not an endpoint.
The SoTM sms 200 and the MicroRendu (and UltraRendu) are small Linux computers that act as either Roon endpoint with RAAT or endpoint for HQPlayer among other possible configurations.

They have Ethernet input. Not USB. It's a whole different ballgame and hence an expected better lift in SQ 😀
Especially used together with the LPS-1 power. Or if you can afford the Vinni Rossie PS.

post #11524 of 11541 Unread Today, 04:49 AM

Deleted
post #11525 of 11541 Unread Today, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Roon is music only, not blu rays, not movies.
Important to mention Roon is multichannel as well. And AES/EBU supports 8 channels.

Though I haven't tested this myself, I expect Roon and CB will play multichannel together. Correct, did you test ?

Last edited by ANRE; Today at 05:31 AM.
post #11526 of 11541 Unread Today, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepappas View Post
hello all
anyone using aac multichannel video and audio files ? is there support for the non hd versions or only casa3 hd and above? thanks
I have a Six Shooter for sale. With your AC needs 😀
post #11527 of 11541 Unread Today, 05:20 AM

Quote:
As I am using my Theta CBIV SSP, it only does multichannel using HDMI in! So no I don't use the microrendu for multichannel and haven't tried it.
OK. You answers my question already. I suppose this is 100 % correct. I will check the user manual.

Also this feauture should be supported by Theta in my opinion.

Edit:
Read user manual. Something indicates that all digital inputs support multichannel. Though I can't be sure.

Have you actually tested a multichannel file via your MicroRendu ?
I expect your DDC has no limitations 😀

Last edited by ANRE; Today at 05:54 AM.
post #11528 of 11541 Unread Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
True True! But that is ok since this is a specific mainly 2ch solution. The best multi-channel solution I have found, is an Oppo 95 (or 105, 205 newer model) with audio over hdmi2 to the Theta. There may be other solutions but I have not tried them, other than using a six shooter back in the day.

You know what would be cool- is a high end hdmi output sound card that can carry the latest multichannel sound formats to the CB, for watching movies stored on a NAS.

PS - comment to all, in general- - the CBIV sounds sick. I mean, damn, it is heads above the IIIHD. Really. damn. And I am hard to impress with audio. Well done Morris on the PR3 card, your contribution to the Theta brand and hard work is duly noted.

I was particularly moved with movie watching, the entire cinematic audio experience is more fluid, more dynamic, cohesive, and the bass is much more integrated (down to 9hz, with my dual 18" bag end infrasubs!). Dialogue clarity and uniformity is vastly improved. The IV also really woke up my Dreadnaught II (7ch, 3x mono and 2x stereo blades). Music has been a real treat on the IV as well.
I've had a custom built CAPSv3 (Computer Audiophile Forum speced) with Sapphire/AMD video card for HDMI out which I've used for multi-channel over HDMI for several years now. "Cooler" and better sounding than the Oppo 105? Can't say as I haven't demod Oppo 105.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #11529 of 11541 Unread Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
For those of you like trying Roon and instead use Rock and for whatever reason does not like to purchase a SonicTransporter

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roc...vailable/26174

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Suggest NUC from Roon.

Or this one:

And if you totally like to waste money: (in my opinion)

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/20...ucleus-server/

I can recommend HQPlayer and since Theta doesn't do DSD, almost any HW will do. There is a new HQPlayer embedded ongoing, that will make you run HQPlayer headless.

If anyone would try the Holo Spring DAC in order to test how DSD sound applied to Theta, I would be very interested to hear a report how that sounds.

Steve B, something for you to try ?
But you haven't gone the HQPlayer route yet, have you ?
Though you may did some upsampling using Roon itself ?
I use ROON for upsampling. I demoed HQ Player and thought it was a total pain in the butt to figure out and as the CB4 SSP using Dirac Live processes at 96-24 no need to use HQ Player's possibly better sounding upsampling for DSD DACs, and it may not sound any better with Room v1.3 and how Roon continues improvements with software upgrades.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #11530 of 11541 Unread Today, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Important to mention Roon is multichannel as well. And AES/EBU supports 8 channels.

Though I haven't tested this myself, I expect Roon and CB will play multichannel together. Correct, did you test ?
I have nearly 800 multichannel albums on my server, almost all high resolution mostly ripped SACDs, and my CAPSv3 Sapphire/AMD video card HDMI multichannel plays fine thanks to ROON!

My home theater at:
post #11531 of 11541 Unread Today, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I use ROON for upsampling. I demoed HQ Player and thought it was a total pain in the butt to figure out and as the CB4 SSP using Dirac Live processes at 96-24 no need to use HQ Player's possibly better sounding upsampling for DSD DACs, and it may not sound any better with Room v1.3 and how Roon continues improvements with software upgrades.
Another reason to use Gen 8
post #11532 of 11541 Unread Today, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I have nearly 800 multichannel albums on my server, almost all high resolution mostly ripped SACDs, and my CAPSv3 Sapphire/AMD video card HDMI multichannel plays fine thanks to ROON!
OK, I will email Theata to get verified if the digital inputs (RCA & AES/EBU) supports multichannel as I don't have my CB available to test myself.

I think Steve, this is the first time you don't know if a possible feature in the CB will work or not 😂
post #11533 of 11541 Unread Today, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Another reason to use Gen 8

WRONG! I had three Gen 8s. Its simpler using the new internal Extreme D3 cards and I find my system sounds just as good as when I had the Gen 8s. And I'm talkin' two channel and multichannel! Audio and video! Of course, using Gen VIII on its own gives me 192-24 instead of 96-24 with CBIV SSP - but the latter also gives me Dirac and allows me to integrate my subwoofers - all so very simply!

My home theater at:
post #11534 of 11541 Unread Today, 12:19 PM

Quote:
OK, I will email Theata to get verified if the digital inputs (RCA & AES/EBU) supports multichannel as I don't have my CB available to test myself.

I think Steve, this is the first time you don't know if a possible feature in the CB will work or not 😂
They don't. That's why with the CBIII Theta developed the Six Shooter multi-channel preamp!

My home theater at:
post #11535 of 11541 Unread Today, 12:46 PM

For those looking for the best DDC for their Theta, may find this overview interesting:

1. Focusrite Rednet 3
  2. Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB
  3. Lynx E22 (Update: AES mode w/ AES out actually seems slightly superior on the Lynx vs. the Mutec above)
  4. Singxer SU-1
  5. Mutec MC-1.2
  6. CI Audio Transient MKII
  7. Singxer F-1
  8. Audio-GD DIU8
  9. ESI Juli@ XTe
  10. Audio-GD DI-2014
  11. Gustard U8
post #11536 of 11541 Unread Today, 03:43 PM

Quote:
They don't. That's why with the CBIII Theta developed the Six Shooter multi-channel preamp!
Thanks Steve.
Well at that time we didn't have SACD ripped etc.
And HDMI hardly existed, so we had to go the analog route.

I think I'm mixing what SPDIF vs FLAC, that support 8 channel.

AES/EBU. Or SPDIF is 2 channel lossless.

Sorry for the confusion.
post #11537 of 11541 Unread Today, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Your Gustard is a USB to SPDIF converter. Not an endpoint.
The SoTM sms 200 and the MicroRendu (and UltraRendu) are small Linux computers that act as either Roon endpoint with RAAT or endpoint for HQPlayer among other possible configurations.

They have Ethernet input. Not USB. It's a whole different ballgame and hence an expected better lift in SQ 😀
Especially used together with the LPS-1 power. Or if you can afford the Vinni Rossie PS.
I never said it was an endpoint- where did you see that? You are not correct about the Gustard's conversion formats. You don't need an ethernet-based device for better sound quality, although that may be an easier solution for some. There is more than one way to acheive the same high end result. There is only one ballgame as long as you do things correctly.

A/V Gear: Excessive.
post #11538 of 11541 Unread Today, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is that mini PC for Roon, or ment to have Linux (or "bad" windows) installed and the Roon Brigde SW on it ?

In any cause I suggest you purchase the ISO REGEN powered by an LPS-1 in addition in front of your Bastard DDC.
And use the USPCB's switch to remove the USB 5V, that I think you do not need.
Mini pc will be for Roon and can run any OS. Right now it has dual boot Android or Windows. Windows is not "bad" if you know what to do with it. Those who are comfortable with Linux should of course use that instead, or spend the extra money on a pre-made audiophile device. There is no "bad vs good" in regards to operating systems, so get over it. Each OS has it's strengths weaknesses and uses.

The ISO Regen and LPS-1 would be useless for me. The Gustard U12 has a very clean linear power supply. Why are you calling it a bastard device? Have you used the U12 and if so what was your experience with it?

post #11539 of 11541 Unread Today, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Ok folks. I actually bought and tried the LPS1. I sent it back. With the Sotm sms-200 in my system it didn't work for me. I felt that the lps 1 didn't have enough drive in my system. The sound stage collapsed and became not as real sounding. Not enough prat so to say. I was shocked after reading so many positive reviews. So again I do not qualify for expectation bias. I was fully expecting to love it. But that was definitely not the case. I tried it for a week continuously. I kept thinking something sounded totally wrong. So I tried switching back and forth between the stock and the LPS1 and every time came to the same conclusion. I consistently picked out blind which supply was being used. I did not like it at all. So I am a weirdo I guess. That is why I waited and have now pre-ordered the new Sotm sms-500 supply. If this doesn't work out I will just keep using the ifi ipower 12 volt I am using now. As it didn't have the same detrimental sound quality of the LPS1.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JVC RS4810 projector Stewart Cima 115" 2.35 screen, ATI 523 and 528 amps
7 mirror imaged 2 way DIY monitors. All matched to within 1db. All parts matched, 1 SVS SB16 ultra subwoofer
Emotiva XMC-1 processor Marantz UD5007 Bluray player
Furman sequencer ran off of a double 50amp breaker,Furman power conditioner
All in a dedicated 15x22x8 foot dedicated home theater.
post #11540 of 11541 Unread Today, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Among adiophiles the https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singxe...sd256-dop.html is the hot stuff for DDC

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/

I'm sure that device you bought is nice to.
I'm using the Singxer F1 myself.
Actually it is the same thing inside as the Gustard U12, except the U12 has a slightly nicer linear power supply. You're going to get the same sonic result with either one, except the X1 is going to cost you more money. Also the U12 has dual clocks whereas the X1 only has one clock (I think). The U12 is under $200, which IMO, is a steal for what it delivers.

post #11541 of 11541 Unread Today, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think you don't know, or have you ordered an upgrade ?

It seems to me you do not understand at all how Roon and network audio works, when reading your reply. Or you don't understood how the review was done and set up.
Accusing Michael Lavorgna to recieve payment for this review is a horrible accusation. You should know better.
Anre- I get my answers from Theta, there is no guessing.. E/g/ I pick up the phone and all them, ask a question, get an answer. That is the information I received so perhaps you should call Theta and tell them what you think is correct..

Reviewers review for either notoriety, compensation, free equipment, - some form of compensation whether it is monetary or personal recognition. There is nothing wrong with that. But the review leaves out a lot of technical detail and if the windows box was left in a default setup using the sound mapper, yes it would sound flat. If this guy is your friend, your idol or something, it was not my intention to insult. Basically just pointing out an obvious flaw or obvious mistake, or a biased approach. it happens and is common.

Just so you know, I have an email with the original text in your post here before you modified it. You really should learn some manners and behave like a decent person. Be nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)