The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 387 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 394Likes

post #11581 of 11607 Old 06-06-2017, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
OT - partially :-): At the LA Show I went to a seminar on room correction/acoustic modification, and at each seat Kimber Kable had left a couple of 4 channel SACD's recorded using his "IsoMike." I thought nothing of the gifts, being freebies as they were.

Well it's a little past midnight and let me just say I am completely blown away by these 4 channel SACD's, played on my cherished Theta Casablanca, without further upmixing of course. (Set your OPPO to output SACD as LPCM, and its SACD's mode to multi-channel.) Dynamic, clean, superior imaging and soundstage. The 2 rear channels are subtle and appear to add ambience/atmospheric clues only, and therefore imaging rightfully belonging in front soundstage. No gimmicky violin floating in mid air behind me!

Not enough to convert me - I bought a couple of LP's as well (Reference Recordings Doug Macleod's There's A Time, being played and used for demo all over), but what a pleasant surprise these SACD's are, especially through the 'Blanca. That they seem to cost $40 each make me even happier LOL.

1. Dahl Martinu Husa Works for Clarinets and Strings http://www.isomike.com/
2. Romantic Album - Formosan Duo
3. Reference Recordings Doug Macleod's There's A Time CD A stunning demo CD of highest quality for practically nothing $14 :-). https://www.amazon.com/Theres-Time-D.../dp/B00B27WSXM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dahl.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2173762  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-Review Uncontrolled obsession with music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 06-06-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 11607 Old 06-08-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
To Clarify this AES/EBU question-

John Baloff took a Compli and connected it to a CB4 in the sound room at Theta.

He played a DVD with both Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 on it.

The system played all 5.1 channels from both formats.

This should clarify that AES can play 5.1 with Encoded formats like 5.1 over AES.

Now I want to let John get back to work and focus on CB4a so we can all celebrate soon

Craig
Theatermax LLC
Yes for all practical purposes AES/EBU is the same as SPDIF. Of course AES-1992 is balanced 110ohms at 5-7volts but the data stream is almost exactly the same in PCM and identical with DD and DTS. There is also AES-3 which is 75ohms but using a BNC connector, easily interchangeable with SPDIF via a simple RCA/BNC adaptor.

As for the PCM stream difference AES uses the channel status bits for various purpose. SPDIF was going to use the channel status bits for copy protection on consumer DAT machines but that never really took off. So except in some rare circumstances AES can be inter-mixed with SPDIF via proper adaptors and/or transformers.
post #11583 of 11607 Old 06-13-2017, 04:56 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Its super quiet on here lately

Its sometimes said that its quiet before the storm

Craig

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
www.theatermax.com
Theta Digital, Trinnov, Datasat, Ayre, Sonus Faber, Aurender, ATI, Cardas, Melco Etc...

post #11584 of 11607 Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Craig
Do I sense a veiled and cryptic message?
post #11585 of 11607 Old 06-13-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Craig
I am not interested in a STORM SSP. I want Theta CBIVa!!!@@@
cannga likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #11586 of 11607 Old 06-13-2017, 08:00 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I am not interested in a STORM SSP. I want Theta CBIVa!!!@@@
Haa good one Stevie Boy Very funny..

Things are progressing extremely well and very soon there will be great news.

What I can tell you guys is its pretty much almost there. Like when I say pretty much I mean like oh so close I can see the cup, the ball is rolling and oh its going to drop in oh maybe so close oh just about. GOLF Reference!

Keep in mind its going to be some new machines first and then followed up by upgrades probably a month later if I were to guess.

I don't want to speculate but hopefully later in the week we can start to chat about release dates.

Don't misinterpret this post Please !

Its not done so please dont start calling John and asking when.

They will probably put out a press release soon explaining the details and I will elaborate even more as we get closer.

The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel is what I am hearing !

Thanks
Craig
cannga and leeonet like this.

Craig Shumer
www.theatermax.com
Theta Digital, Trinnov, Datasat, Ayre, Sonus Faber, Aurender, ATI, Cardas, Melco Etc...
post #11587 of 11607 Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Haa good one Stevie Boy Very funny..

Things are progressing extremely well and very soon there will be great news.

What I can tell you guys is its pretty much almost there. Like when I say pretty much I mean like oh so close I can see the cup, the ball is rolling and oh its going to drop in oh maybe so close oh just about. GOLF Reference!

Keep in mind its going to be some new machines first and then followed up by upgrades probably a month later if I were to guess.

I don't want to speculate but hopefully later in the week we can start to chat about release dates.

Don't misinterpret this post Please !

Its not done so please dont start calling John and asking when.

They will probably put out a press release soon explaining the details and I will elaborate even more as we get closer.

The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel is what I am hearing !

Thanks
Craig
Craig thanks for the update and info. It is nice that you take the time to keep everyone informed.

I have a question, perhaps you have come across this- Are you able to use HDR 4k with the latest CB4 HDMI 2.0 card? I have HDMI-1 in coming from a Roku Ultra 4k and it refuses to see the CB's HDMI-1 as HDR compatible. The Roku Ultra will only go as high as 4k UHD to the CB4.

The HDMI out from the CB is going to a Sony 75" X940E (4k HDR compatible) which I just picked up last week to replace the Sharp Elite 70". Very nice display BTW. I can connect the Roku directly to the Sony and it will detect the Sony HDMI as HDR compatible, but not the CB's HDMI-1. Hopefully I explained this ok.

A/V Gear: Excessive.
post #11588 of 11607 Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebowman View Post

1) Is it worth trying/buying a Berkeley Alpha USB and the corresponding cables to play music through the CB's AES/EBU? ([Mac Mini] -> USB -> [Berkeley Alpha USB] -> AES/EBU -> [CB IV])
I haven't tried a lot of converters. My first device was a Sound Devices USBPRE2. It's powered via USB. The Berkeley Alpha was a lot superior. I have the Lynx AES16e PCIe card in my server and it sounds good but still not a challenger to my Berkeley. The Lynx isn't a usb converter but provides AES/EBU out. The closest device I have to the Berkeley is a Tascam UH-7000 which I modified with a custom linear power supply that an engineer in Taiwan designed and built. Tascam says, "installed is a powerful TCXO clock generator with +/−1ppm precision," so the clocking should be good. The Tascam device is a very good product. Most would be very happy with it, UNLESS you heard the Berkeley Alpha USB.

The Berkeley "takes off, " where the Tascam stops. The deep notes and bass lines sound the same. Vocals and higher pitched instruments are dramatically better on the Berkeley. It's just cleaner from the mids up. It's not subtle and easy to hear. The music is more involving but if again if you had only heard my Tascam, you'd be happy with it. The review of the Berkeley USB in the Absolute Sound, states this, "The digital audio signal is clocked with one of two precision oscillators, one for the 44.1kHz family of sampling frequencies (44.1kHz, 88.2kHz, and 176.4kHz) and the other for the 48kHz family (48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz). To give you an idea of how meticulously designed and executed the Alpha USB is, consider that each oscillator is measured on a $90,000 instrument that creates a spectragraph of the oscillator’s phase noise. Only the best measuring parts go into the Alpha USB; the rest are rejected." This kind of attention to detail is likely why the Berkeley is an exceptional product.

Save yourself some time and just buy it. If not, just make sure you never compare the Berkeley with with a lesser converter as you'll never be happy with the other converter.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #11589 of 11607 Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of Berkeley Audio Design - from Robert Harley, The Absolute Sound's 2017 LA Audio Show Report:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...es-audio-show/
Most Coveted Product
Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC Series 2 when MQA decoding becomes available for it later this year.

Sorry I keep posting OT, since Theta is not giving me anything to talk about, ~~YET~~.
post #11590 of 11607 Old 06-23-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is anyone using the audio only HDMI output of the new Oppo UDP-205? Not sure if this has been discussed? Nice work by Oppo reducing HDMI jitter on the audio only output in 205 over the 203. Not sure how much an improvement it might be as Theta is already using some methods to reduce jitter. https://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledg...ProdID=UDP-205

post #11591 of 11607 Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Is anyone using the audio only HDMI output of the new Oppo UDP-205? Not sure if this has been discussed? Nice work by Oppo reducing HDMI jitter on the audio only output in 205 over the 203. Not sure how much an improvement it might be as Theta is already using some methods to reduce jitter. https://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledg...ProdID=UDP-205
I've been wondering the same thing!!!! I've always found the Theta version of the Oppo player to sound somewhat better over HDMI.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #11592 of 11607 Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Casablance III HD question.

In a 7.1 speaker setup, are the surrounds the rears or sides.

Thanks
post #11593 of 11607 Old 06-24-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post
Casablance III HD question.

In a 7.1 speaker setup, are the surrounds the rears or sides.

Thanks

IIRC (it's been a while since I did this):
In 5.1 speaker setup: "surround" outputs go to side speakers (~100 degrees).
In 7.1. speaker setup: "surround" outputs go to the rear speakers (~140 degrees), "side" outputs go to side speakers (~100 degrees).

It's just another "interesting" quirk of Casablanca setup - part of the "charm" . If you are brave and have nothing better to do, you might want to check out my detailed III HD setup thread where I listed the above, as well as some other quirks:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Theta Casablanca Owners' Thread: Setup Help and Wish List :-)
Second idiosyncrasy/interesting point: When you go from 5.1 to 7.1, you are adding the rear speakers right? So you would think in the Theta menu there is a button that says "Rear Speakers"?
Answer: not so! The button actually says "Side Speakers." So... to inform the Casablanca of existence of rear speakers in your system, you turn on a label called the "Side Speakers." This is a mind twister that is somewhat counter-intuitive IMHO, but I don't mind it.

Last edited by cannga; 06-24-2017 at 06:58 PM.
post #11594 of 11607 Old 06-25-2017, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I have both a 203 and a 205 here. I hear no difference. Between my CBIV and my GenVIIIs, there's already so much jitter reduction anything Oppo has done I can't hear it.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/v...player-review/
Bulldogger likes this.
post #11595 of 11607 Old 06-25-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
I have both a 203 and a 205 here. I hear no difference. Between my CBIV and my GenVIIIs, there's already so much jitter reduction anything Oppo has done I can't hear it.

I've had an Oppo 93 also an 83 and the corresponding Theta blu ray players and at those times I easily heard a nice sonic improvement even on movies!

If would be interesting if you'd try an Audioquest Diamond HDMI cable and redo the test and tell us what you hear (you can buy one with 30 day return from the Cable Company online)
(VGI/Craig Shumer is an Audioquest dealer - get it, good deal, but no return like The Cable Company). I am using one for my HDMI multi-channel music player AND also for my Theta Compli Blu 3d blu ray player. HA! (Bucko Bucks though!)
Michael Osadciw likes this.

My home theater at:
post #11596 of 11607 Old 06-26-2017, 01:15 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

It's not snowing outside but it feels like Christmas for Some Reason !

This week is a very good week for Theta Digital my friends !

The first Casablanca 4A new build units will leave this week.

We actually have a client that will go to Montebello Wednesday and pick his brand new Shiny Cb4A up in person !

It gives me great pleasure to tell you guys its functioning very well with no bugs they know of.

Atmos and Dts:X are both fully functional.

Soon they will start to offer upgrades and I know my phone will be blowing up with requests. We are going to pace things so we don't overwhelm them but they can probably do quite a few per week once they start.

Not sure what date the upgrades will start so please relax and take a deep breath listen to some great tunes and shortly we will get the upgrades rolling !

Thx
Craig
Theatermax LLC
732-616-1010

Craig Shumer
www.theatermax.com
post #11597 of 11607 Old 06-26-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
This week is a very good week for Theta Digital my friends !

We actually have a client that will go to Montebello Wednesday and pick his brand new Shiny Cb4A up in person !

It gives me great pleasure to tell you guys its functioning very well with no bugs they know of.

Atmos and Dts:X are both fully functional.

Soon they will start to offer upgrades and I know my phone will be blowing up with requests. We are going to pace things so we don't overwhelm them but they can probably do quite a few per week once they start.

Not sure what date the upgrades will start so please relax and take a deep breath listen to some great tunes and shortly we will get the upgrades rolling !

Thx
Craig
Theatermax LLC
732-616-1010
SWEET! Maybe this will get SI model Brooklyn Decker to my theatre room!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07_jbuffett_04.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	2205641  

My home theater at:
post #11598 of 11607 Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Great review especially the comparisons to your other audio components.
Michael Osadciw likes this.

post #11599 of 11607 Old 06-26-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I love you man. And don't think I've ever said this to an audio dealer before.

Reiterating my place in line, right after Bruzonsky :-): Upgrade from IIIHD to 4a with Atmos/DTS:X/Dirac. Plus one Premium III card for heights.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-Review Uncontrolled obsession with music, and sound.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
post #11600 of 11607 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does not make any difference to me, as long as I have Atmos, but just curious: Does anyone know if Momentum Data Systems is responsible for the Atmos/DTS:X board? Cannot think of anyone else that could/would do this in small scale. @Bulldogger ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.mds.com/products/audio-2/apm-89l/
APM-89L Dual-DSP Module

APM-89L (Audio Processing Module w/ Linux): Texas Instruments’ DA830 and DA810 DSP-based

OEM solution for Dolby ATMOS & DTS:X object-audio decoder systems.

Related EVM-APM-89xx demo and evaluation system for APM-89L, with image of EVM host-environment board. See datasheet for details.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; Yesterday at 04:15 PM.
post #11601 of 11607 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Open up your hearts and let the sun shine in :)

Morris just sent us some great photos of the 4a's !

Guys just so you know and this is important - The 4A is not just an Atmos and DTS:x upgrade to the Cb4. They have spent a long while developing this upgrade and its more than just new surround modes. This upgrade is a sonic improvement as well across the board. They have made significant changes to the operating system and how things are processed digitally and have opened up an entire new level of sonic improvements. More direct digital signal paths within the PR3 card that have never been utilized before and the list goes on and on.

The Casablanca 4a is going to sound incredible I can promise you guys this !

Here are some pics !!

Craig
Theatermax LLC
Theta Master
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0585.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	2207177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	2207185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	2207193  

Craig Shumer
www.theatermax.com
post #11602 of 11607 Old Today, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oh no, Mr Craig. Yet another Theta tower change. Just curious, what does Theta do with all the old towers from CB's sent back for updates? Do they somehow recycle them into new ones? Wish they could return them, since you paying for a new one. Wish I had all the old ones would make a nice display, since I bought mine in 10/97.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #11603 of 11607 Old Today, 11:23 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post
Oh no, Mr Craig. Yet another Theta tower change. Just curious, what does Theta do with all the old towers from CB's sent back for updates? Do they somehow recycle them into new ones? Wish they could return them, since you paying for a new one. Wish I had all the old ones would make a nice display, since I bought mine in 10/97.
A collage of old Cb towers would be quite cool I think they scrap them or recycle the metal I am sure.

Craig

Craig Shumer
www.theatermax.com
post #11604 of 11607 Old Today, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think I'd frame them. Point out to visitors, over there on the wall, next to my dogs playing poker painting, right next to my Farrah Facett poster, there's another piece of artwork, cost me $12k.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #11605 of 11607 Old Today, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Doug Blackburn reviewed the Oppo 203 and now the 205 in the latest issue. He does not subjectively compare the 203 hdmi vs the 205 hdmi sonic. He does state that the 205 hdmi audio only output w extra jitter reduction sounds better on non-video music than the other Ava hdmi output, but that he couldn't hear any difference on movies!

My home theater at:
post #11606 of 11607 Old Today, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Morris just sent us some great photos of the 4a's !

Guys just so you know and this is important - The 4A is not just an Atmos and DTS:x upgrade to the Cb4. They have spent a long while developing this upgrade and its more than just new surround modes. This upgrade is a sonic improvement as well across the board. They have made significant changes to the operating system and how things are processed digitally and have opened up an entire new level of sonic improvements. More direct digital signal paths within the PR3 card that have never been utilized before and the list goes on and on.

The Casablanca 4a is going to sound incredible I can promise you guys this !

Here are some pics !!

Craig
Theatermax LLC
Theta Master

Craig do I still have to keep this a secret? 🤗😍😜

My home theater at:
post #11607 of 11607 Old Today, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Does not make any difference to me, as long as I have Atmos, but just curious: Does anyone know if Momentum Data Systems is responsible for the Atmos/DTS:X board? Cannot think of anyone else that could/would do this in small scale. @Bulldogger ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.mds.com/products/audio-2/apm-89l/
APM-89L Dual-DSP Module

APM-89L (Audio Processing Module w/ Linux): Texas Instruments’ DA830 and DA810 DSP-based

OEM solution for Dolby ATMOS & DTS:X object-audio decoder systems.

Related EVM-APM-89xx demo and evaluation system for APM-89L, with image of EVM host-environment board. See datasheet for details.
I think I recall Charles Hanson of Ayre saying that one of the largest obstacles and cost of developing a prepro is the operating system. Theta's operating system had to be reworked by MDS during the first HDMI upgrade. Making the processor work seamlessly with all of the technology likely required the most work. That alone would make it almost certain that they will handle future upgrades. The two companies MDS and ATI/Theta being about 30 miles apart certainly makes cooperation easy as well.

There are engineers that could handle hardware design. Getting it all to "play nice," together would be the challenge. Some of the hardware Theta is using is also utilized by other companies. As you know Classe used MDS for its SSP800. At least one other company is using a similar approach to Jitter Jail II to reduce HDMI jitter. There is even one company that is developing an active HDMI cable to do much of what some prepros are doing. http://www.google.nl/patents/US9001275
None of this should be a surprise as you know, the "high-end" doesn't really invent a lot of technology, but rather perfects or brings it to a higher level of fidelity. Theta seems to be using all of the current tech and then perfecting it with it's own engineering.

I remember Lyonsounds was a company that was doing digital design work but now defunct. Dan Donnelly, https://www.linkedin.com/in/daniel-donnelly-34a3a74 is the former designer at California Audio labs and Adcom started that company I believe. I'm not aware of many companies, that do this kind of work. I'm of course just a consumer but I have asked a lot of questions about the design of prepros over the years. Some times, engineers will mentioned others they have worked with and where they are now. That has given me some clues to what firms are doing this kind of work. I really though, have no idea as to what other company might do such work for Theta on a contract basis.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)