The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 387 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 384Likes
post #11581 of 11591 Unread 06-06-2017, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
OT - partially :-): At the LA Show I went to a seminar on room correction/acoustic modification, and at each seat Kimber Kable had left a couple of 4 channel SACD's recorded using his "IsoMike." I thought nothing of the gifts, being freebies as they were.

Well it's a little past midnight and let me just say I am completely blown away by these 4 channel SACD's, played on my cherished Theta Casablanca, without further upmixing of course. (Set your OPPO to output SACD as LPCM, and its SACD's mode to multi-channel.) Dynamic, clean, superior imaging and soundstage. The 2 rear channels are subtle and appear to add ambience/atmospheric clues only, and therefore imaging rightfully belonging in front soundstage. No gimmicky violin floating in mid air behind me!

Not enough to convert me - I bought a couple of LP's as well (Reference Recordings Doug Macleod's There's A Time, being played and used for demo all over), but what a pleasant surprise these SACD's are, especially through the 'Blanca. That they seem to cost $40 each make me even happier LOL.

1. Dahl Martinu Husa Works for Clarinets and Strings http://www.isomike.com/
2. Romantic Album - Formosan Duo
3. Reference Recordings Doug Macleod's There's A Time CD A stunning demo CD of highest quality for practically nothing $14 :-). https://www.amazon.com/Theres-Time-D.../dp/B00B27WSXM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dahl.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2173762  

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca CBIII HD Mini-Review Uncontrolled obsession with music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 06-06-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11582 of 11591 Unread 06-08-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
To Clarify this AES/EBU question-

John Baloff took a Compli and connected it to a CB4 in the sound room at Theta.

He played a DVD with both Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 on it.

The system played all 5.1 channels from both formats.

This should clarify that AES can play 5.1 with Encoded formats like 5.1 over AES.

Now I want to let John get back to work and focus on CB4a so we can all celebrate soon

Craig
Theatermax LLC
Yes for all practical purposes AES/EBU is the same as SPDIF. Of course AES-1992 is balanced 110ohms at 5-7volts but the data stream is almost exactly the same in PCM and identical with DD and DTS. There is also AES-3 which is 75ohms but using a BNC connector, easily interchangeable with SPDIF via a simple RCA/BNC adaptor.

As for the PCM stream difference AES uses the channel status bits for various purpose. SPDIF was going to use the channel status bits for copy protection on consumer DAT machines but that never really took off. So except in some rare circumstances AES can be inter-mixed with SPDIF via proper adaptors and/or transformers.
post #11583 of 11591 Unread 06-13-2017, 04:56 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Its super quiet on here lately

Its sometimes said that its quiet before the storm

Craig

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
www.theatermax.com
Theta Digital, Trinnov, Datasat, Ayre, Sonus Faber, Aurender, ATI, Cardas, Melco Etc...

post #11584 of 11591 Unread 06-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Craig
Do I sense a veiled and cryptic message?
post #11585 of 11591 Unread 06-13-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Craig
I am not interested in a STORM SSP. I want Theta CBIVa!!!@@@
cannga likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #11586 of 11591 Unread 06-13-2017, 08:00 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I am not interested in a STORM SSP. I want Theta CBIVa!!!@@@
Haa good one Stevie Boy Very funny..

Things are progressing extremely well and very soon there will be great news.

What I can tell you guys is its pretty much almost there. Like when I say pretty much I mean like oh so close I can see the cup, the ball is rolling and oh its going to drop in oh maybe so close oh just about. GOLF Reference!

Keep in mind its going to be some new machines first and then followed up by upgrades probably a month later if I were to guess.

I don't want to speculate but hopefully later in the week we can start to chat about release dates.

Don't misinterpret this post Please !

Its not done so please dont start calling John and asking when.

They will probably put out a press release soon explaining the details and I will elaborate even more as we get closer.

The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel is what I am hearing !

Thanks
Craig
cannga and leeonet like this.

Craig Shumer
20 Years of Audio Video Excellence
President of Theatermax LLC
www.theatermax.com
Theta Digital, Trinnov, Datasat, Ayre, Sonus Faber, Aurender, ATI, Cardas, Melco Etc...
post #11587 of 11591 Unread 06-13-2017, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Haa good one Stevie Boy Very funny..

Things are progressing extremely well and very soon there will be great news.

What I can tell you guys is its pretty much almost there. Like when I say pretty much I mean like oh so close I can see the cup, the ball is rolling and oh its going to drop in oh maybe so close oh just about. GOLF Reference!

Keep in mind its going to be some new machines first and then followed up by upgrades probably a month later if I were to guess.

I don't want to speculate but hopefully later in the week we can start to chat about release dates.

Don't misinterpret this post Please !

Its not done so please dont start calling John and asking when.

They will probably put out a press release soon explaining the details and I will elaborate even more as we get closer.

The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel is what I am hearing !

Thanks
Craig
Craig thanks for the update and info. It is nice that you take the time to keep everyone informed.

I have a question, perhaps you have come across this- Are you able to use HDR 4k with the latest CB4 HDMI 2.0 card? I have HDMI-1 in coming from a Roku Ultra 4k and it refuses to see the CB's HDMI-1 as HDR compatible. The Roku Ultra will only go as high as 4k UHD to the CB4.

The HDMI out from the CB is going to a Sony 75" X940E (4k HDR compatible) which I just picked up last week to replace the Sharp Elite 70". Very nice display BTW. I can connect the Roku directly to the Sony and it will detect the Sony HDMI as HDR compatible, but not the CB's HDMI-1. Hopefully I explained this ok.

A/V Gear: Excessive.
post #11588 of 11591 Unread 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebowman View Post

1) Is it worth trying/buying a Berkeley Alpha USB and the corresponding cables to play music through the CB's AES/EBU? ([Mac Mini] -> USB -> [Berkeley Alpha USB] -> AES/EBU -> [CB IV])
I haven't tried a lot of converters. My first device was a Sound Devices USBPRE2. It's powered via USB. The Berkeley Alpha was a lot superior. I have the Lynx AES16e PCIe card in my server and it sounds good but still not a challenger to my Berkeley. The Lynx isn't a usb converter but provides AES/EBU out. The closest device I have to the Berkeley is a Tascam UH-7000 which I modified with a custom linear power supply that an engineer in Taiwan designed and built. Tascam says, "installed is a powerful TCXO clock generator with +/−1ppm precision," so the clocking should be good. The Tascam device is a very good product. Most would be very happy with it, UNLESS you heard the Berkeley Alpha USB.

The Berkeley "takes off, " where the Tascam stops. The deep notes and bass lines sound the same. Vocals and higher pitched instruments are dramatically better on the Berkeley. It's just cleaner from the mids up. It's not subtle and easy to hear. The music is more involving but if again if you had only heard my Tascam, you'd be happy with it. The review of the Berkeley USB in the Absolute Sound, states this, "The digital audio signal is clocked with one of two precision oscillators, one for the 44.1kHz family of sampling frequencies (44.1kHz, 88.2kHz, and 176.4kHz) and the other for the 48kHz family (48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz). To give you an idea of how meticulously designed and executed the Alpha USB is, consider that each oscillator is measured on a $90,000 instrument that creates a spectragraph of the oscillator’s phase noise. Only the best measuring parts go into the Alpha USB; the rest are rejected." This kind of attention to detail is likely why the Berkeley is an exceptional product.

Save yourself some time and just buy it. If not, just make sure you never compare the Berkeley with with a lesser converter as you'll never be happy with the other converter.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #11589 of 11591 Unread 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Speaking of Berkeley Audio Design - from Robert Harley, The Absolute Sound's 2017 LA Audio Show Report:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...es-audio-show/
Most Coveted Product
Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC Series 2 when MQA decoding becomes available for it later this year.

Sorry I keep posting OT, since Theta is not giving me anything to talk about, ~~YET~~.
post #11590 of 11591 Unread Today, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is anyone using the audio only HDMI output of the new Oppo UDP-205? Not sure if this has been discussed? Nice work by Oppo reducing HDMI jitter on the audio only output in 205 over the 203. Not sure how much an improvement it might be as Theta is already using some methods to reduce jitter. https://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledg...ProdID=UDP-205

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #11591 of 11591 Unread Today, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Is anyone using the audio only HDMI output of the new Oppo UDP-205? Not sure if this has been discussed? Nice work by Oppo reducing HDMI jitter on the audio only output in 205 over the 203. Not sure how much an improvement it might be as Theta is already using some methods to reduce jitter. https://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledg...ProdID=UDP-205
I've been wondering the same thing!!!! I've always found the Theta version of the Oppo player to sound somewhat better over HDMI.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)