The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 395 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 463Likes

post #11821 of 11826 Old Today, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 View Post
I'll get the disc, thanks! Great idea. Now I have a great idea: I live in Brentwood, you live PV...maybe we should do BOTH together...hahahaha...well, at least more than half serious. I'm targeting Saturday or Sunday....my brain needs a REST....
Me too I need a rest, but from upgrading my wireless router yesterday. So stressful LOL. It seems we are both borderline hopeless when it comes to this? OTOH that stack of Dirac manuals and the USB stick are looking at me, begging.

Ok seriously, first basic question for Dirac please: I have several laptops, either Windows 7 or Windows 10. Which one is "better"? Does Windows 10 work? My more powerful laptops are Windows 10, but the manual does not mention Win 10 as a choice. TIA

Last edited by cannga; Today at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 11826 Old Today, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Me too I need a rest, but from upgrading my wireless router yesterday. So stressful LOL. It seems we are both borderline hopeless when it comes to this? OTOH that stack of Dirac manuals and the USB stick are looking at me, begging.

Ok seriously, first basic question for Dirac please: I have several laptops, either Windows 7 or Windows 10. Which one is "better"? Does Windows 10 work? My more powerful laptops are Windows 10, but the manual does not mention Win 10 as a choice. TIA
Yes, semi hopeless...and obsessed. Oh, and if you successfully upgraded your wireless router...then the DIRAC should be a piece of CAKE!!!! I had to have Magnolia finish up my home network install...

I'm a MAC guy, so I had to borrow a laptop from John at Theta with the DIRAC software preloaded....I've been avoiding starting like the plague, altho I know it won't be THAT BAD when I do....
cannga likes this.
post #11823 of 11826 Old Today, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

You can relax. Dirac Live for the 'Blanca and Windows 10 are perfectly compatible.

Jeff
cannga likes this.

post #11824 of 11826 Old Today, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
And this is the goal because midrange most accurately reflect perceived loudness?
Yes.

Quote:
Yep my disc's THX Optimizer test states strictly for location only. Will run test tonight. BTW the Optimizer shows the first bug that I found in Casablanca IVa: with lossy Dolby Digital, the back channels of lossy 7.1 are not reproduced in my back speakers, instead appearing on the side speakers. Will recheck setting but so far it's silent back there. In both direct and upmix mode.
Looking forward to your findings with Optimizer.

I do not think there is any bug. When playing 5.1 test tones, the Ls/Rs should only come from the side surround speakers. And the upmixer should do exactly what you found – nothing. Now if the surrounds of the 5.1 source had signals at the same time, then you’d hear something from the rear speakers.
cannga likes this.

Deadwood II Theater
Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #11825 of 11826 Old Today, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Will the extreme D3 6 channel dac work in the casablanca 3hd?
post #11826 of 11826 Old Today, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
You folks are making this a million more times complicated than it is!

Yes, Roger has tons of experience professionally with Dolby and practically. However, he does not own or play with a Casablanca, does he? His expertise and wealth of knowledge is astounding, but frankly is enough to scare anyone away from a CBIV-A thinking its a bitch to setup - and its not at all hard to set up!
My apologies to anyone if I am making their life and enjoyment of their new CBIV-A baby anything but what it should be, a joyous event.

Quote:
K-I-S-S ("Keep It Simple Stupid") - my audio video motto - every time I have strayed from this (too frequently) it almost always ends up being the simplest explanation!
I’m with you on the KISS principle. That’s why bandlimited pink was first adopted by Dolby in 1987 for Pro Logic. Test discs have always posed problems, as it is difficult to get them right even with knowledgeable people involved. I have the AIX, the Goldline, and the Explore Our World DVD from Dolby, and all of them have level errors here and there among their test signals. Discs with no errors, THX Optimizer and Spears&Munsil. There may be others. These are just examples.

It is much simpler, safer, and consistent to use the processor’s internal noise – assuming it is implemented correctly. That means band-limited pink, and that it is post-processed by any room EQ the system supports. Thus far I have seen no objective evidence that the CBIV-A noise is incorrect in the slightest.

Quote:
Roger, out of curiosity, what is your surround processor these days? When are you going to get a Casablanca or one of its sister companies' Datasat SSP??? Or do you already have one?
I appreciate the generous and cheeky offer to GoFundMyCasblanca.

I’ve been out of the Atmos game for a couple years due to new home/new theater cycle. Now that theater is finished, I’m about to add Atmos again, but it will not be any high end processor since none support PLIIx (not Theta, nor Datasat, nor Lyngdorf, nor Trinnov). Most of my theater use is playing stereo music on 7.1 speakers, and no other upmixer does it for me. So it would be pointless to buy a Theta only for movie playback. The Marantz AV7702 did well enough for Atmos, but I’m curious about Anthem Room Correction so there’s an AVM 60 on the way. It will play through the 7.1 bypass of the SSP-800. Not the most elegant, but it will serve my requirements for 7.1 PLIIx. If the CB adds PLIIx, we'll talk.

Deadwood II Theater
Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs

Last edited by Roger Dressler; Today at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page