The official Theta Owners Thread - Page 401 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 483Likes

post #12001 of 12009 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
UPMIX is sketchy in my experience so far.

For lossy Dolby source, if you want to upmix (IMHO you **do** if you have 7.1, to get sound in the 180 degree rear field, irrespective of top channels), best to have fresh turn-on on correct input. ie If you need to switch input after signal has locked in, upmix won't be active even if the display says so. If there's any doubt, the one sure thing to do is to get to the correct input, switch Theta off and then on.

WOW, VERY VERY interesting....always learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 12009 Old Today, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
To keep things in perspective, I should list the many significant improvements of CB IVa. The new CB makes the convoluted menu of CB III HD appear almost barbaric :-). For a difficult customer who likes to complain like me, it's absolutely uncanny what the people of Theta have done with respect to my P&M list for CB III HD.

It's as if some engineer has printed my dirty laundry list and put it under his pillow for nighttime reading! I am moved to tears.

Theta Casablanca Owners' Thread: Setup Help and Wish List :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
CBIII HD Wish List:
1. Upmixed mode needs to be displayed: Right now Dolby TrueHD 5.1 upmixed to 7.1 is simply displayed as "Dolby TrueHD". It needs to be "Dolby TrueHD + PL2MV". CHECKED!
2. Default Mode needs to have a mode called "Native" Currently the choices are "PL2MV," "Neo6C", but why are native modes, or at least "Native" not available?! ....IOW since the display (#1 ) is not giving you information about upmixing, the lack of "native" mode (#2 ) leaves user in the dark as to what exactly is playing . This is why I think this is priority one to be fixed in next gen Casablanca.... CHECKED!
3. Upmix PCM 3 and 5.1 & Merge the different "brains" in Casablanca: Casablanca acts like it has 3 separate brains: one for old/lossy AC-3 Dolby Digital and one for new/lossless Dolby TrueHD, then a third brain for LPCM 3.0 and 5.1 (from SACD), which doesn't upmix at all. My wish is for the Mode setting to become more logical, and more "integrated." CHECKED!
4. Dirac filter: more than 1. Ummmm - pls explore. For example, option of paying extra for a second filter. Important for choosing among A/B choices of target curves, etc.
5. Display of resolution, 96/24 etc. of at least main LR channels. We are flying blind right now and we shouldn't be. Top line of display has room to show this. Not that important, but still, Not yet accurate
6. Auro an option to save owners $. This codec is unlikely to survive - $ 1k is too much, let alone 2k. CHECKED!

Bug List:
Encoded Dolby Digital 2 Channel Stereo (from Cable Box, DVD, etc.) is processed automatically to 5.1 even when mode is set to Stereo . I think I understand why Theta did it, but this is an extremely confusing bug and should be eliminated ASAP. BTW, the "bandaid" fix: to hear Stereo, set Dolby Digital 2 Channel mode to Matrix instead. This is the one and only time that I think Matrix mode should be used. CHECKED!

Last edited by cannga; Today at 08:41 AM.
post #12003 of 12009 Old Today, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
No one is using other than 48 kHz for movies.

ETA: Maybe I need to be specific: Hollywood movies. There's always an exception out there somewhere: Link. But even this is not using 192 kHz.
Yea!!! I've have a few blu ray movies which are higher than 48k, but its rare.

Last night on "Concussion", the "status" showed 192k, and although sounded marvelous, I guarentee it ain't higher than 48k per channel. The blu ray before that also showed 192k. The "status" display also has been showing 192k for two channel 44-14 source over digital balanced as well.

Keep in mind that apparently before there were two sample rate converters in the CBIV, now there is only one - I assume in the new DSP chip - for the CBIV-A. My educated guess is that the DSP chip and/or CBIV-A software/firmware regarding "status" got more messed up with this change. I say more because with the CBIV, on occasion I noted errors with "status" as well.

To my mind not a biggie since the sound is what counts!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431

post #12004 of 12009 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Late last night watched the blu ray of "Concussion".

Actually, I had the movie on HBO and had started watching it on my basement tv while on the treadmill. On my old 5.1 in wall system with a 65" plasma. Liked it, and decided to get it to watch in my theatre, particularly as it has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack!

Glad I did. HBO misses half of the picture almost in changing aspect ration from 2:35 to 16:9 to fit the screen. And the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Phenomenal. Best soundtrack of the Dolby Atmos or DTS-X movies I've watched so far. And a really excellent movie, too with a phenomenal portrayal by Will Smith! If you want to really hear what your new CBIV-A can sound like, get this movie! Makes me really glad I did t his upgrade to CBIV-A!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #12005 of 12009 Old Today, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Yea!!! I've have a few blu ray movies which are higher than 48k, but its rare.

Last night on "Concussion", the "status" showed 192k, and although sounded marvelous, I guarantee it ain't higher than 48k per channel. The blu ray before that also showed 192k. The "status" display also has been showing 192k for two channel 44-14 source over digital balanced as well.
If you happen to use an Oppo player, the Info button will display the audio format and sample rate. Others might do the same.

Deadwood II Theater
Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4, MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve 115"W x 49"H 2.35 screen
post #12006 of 12009 Old Today, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If you happen to use an Oppo player, the Info button will display the audio format and sample rate. Others might do the same.
Thanks for the reminder, as I am now using an Oppo UDP-205!

My home theater at:
post #12007 of 12009 Old Today, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The official Theta Owners Thread

Quote:
No one is using other than 48 kHz for movies.

ETA: Maybe I need to be specific: Hollywood movies. There's always an exception out there somewhere: Link. But even this is not using 192 kHz.

I have some music blu-rays that use 96 kHz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Goff
post #12008 of 12009 Old Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
I have some music blu-rays that use 96 kHz.
Yes, me too. I was referring to typical movies not being made in other than 48 kHz.

Deadwood II Theater
Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4, MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve 115"W x 49"H 2.35 screen
post #12009 of 12009 Old Today, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
For this weekend, my movie menu includes The Pacific, a series made prior to the advance of 3D audio, but here converted to be so with DTS Neural:X Upmixer. I am happy to report that for the last few hours the Casablanca has repeatedly rocked :-) my hometheater, with the incredible violence and chaos of Guadalcanal warfare, bombardments, and those mighty guns of US battleships.

That said, IMHO the value of 3D audio is not necessarily only in all out violent demos such as War of the Worlds, but especially also in quiet scenes that have rain drops, bird calls, etc. This is when the "transport" to the scene likely occurs. And here is where my Theta baby really, really, shines. Miraculously the birds somehow knew to go to the ceiling speakers , and so did the rain drops, making for an unbelievably realistic soundscape. Where 3D wins, IVa over IV and III HD, is the clarity of these effects.

The only bad side to the ultra realistic sound is the rather gruesome gun fights & killings were even harder to stomach. The Pacific has a lot of the B's that make for impressive surround effects: bombs, birds, bugs, bullets. Very highly recommended, but only with Casablanca IVa. Just kidding LOL. Up next: Games of Thrones!

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa Setup Help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; Today at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page