4Likes

post #3001 of 7188 Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger; View Post

Yes you can run them all in 2 channel mode. Widescreen Review ran 5 Cal amps in stereo. They were modified to be only 2 channel. The processor was the Casablanca. I will send you a PM this evening with some control options. I use Irule . If you have an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or something running Android that would be the easiest and most economical method.

I look forward to the PM as I have an iPhone and an iPad I could use. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that even without doing any modification to the amps internally and basically only using 2 of the 5 channels from each amp I will get more output or cleaner output than I would if I was connecting more channels? Aren't I just wasting 3 of the remaining channels from each amp?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 7188 Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullerj7 View Post

I look forward to the PM as I have an iPhone and an iPad I could use. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying that even without doing any modification to the amps internally and basically only using 2 of the 5 channels from each amp I will get more output or cleaner output than I would if I was connecting more channels? Aren't I just wasting 3 of the remaining channels from each amp?
Thanks for the help.

Yes the output is cleaner. When you switch to 2 channel mode, the other channels are muted. You will get cleaner output of that I am certain. You have to decide it you want more power or cleaner power. It is possible that the difference may not be that great. It was for me. The channels of the amp are actually designed to deliver 1500 watts into 4ohms. The fuse prevents the amp from actually producing that much power.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #3003 of 7188 Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Reloaded OS. No difference. Bypassed Lumagen, no difference (went TiVo elite to cb3hd direct via hdmi 1).

Anyone else watch x-factor? If so do you hear "break-up"?

Breakup is on all front 3. Rear and sides are disconnected to help focus on issue during testing.

Have you had to send it back to Theta?

post #3004 of 7188 Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Yes the output is cleaner. When you switch to 2 channel mode, the other channels are muted. You will get cleaner output of that I am certain. You have to decide it you want more power or cleaner power. It is possible that the difference may not be that great. It was for me. The channels of the amp are actually designed to deliver 1500 watts into 4ohms. The fuse prevents the amp from actually producing that much power.

That sounds like plenty of power. Almost too much power even. I'd shoot for clean power at this point - but then it's not my system.
post #3005 of 7188 Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you had to send it back to Theta?

Not yet. I am going to run a stereo cable between TiVo and cb3 to bypass dacs to listen for any changes in sound.
post #3006 of 7188 Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Not yet. I am going to run a stereo cable between TiVo and cb3 to bypass dacs to listen for any changes in sound.

The sound you describe, I have heard before with a Six Shooter. One of the volume control cards had slipped up a bit. I removed it and reseated the card which fixed the problem. Might be worth a try on the Xtreme card.

post #3007 of 7188 Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

The sound you describe, I have heard before with a Six Shooter. One of the volume control cards had slipped up a bit. I removed it and reseated the card which fixed the problem. Might be worth a try on the Xtreme card.

And that sound also is consistent somewhat with the issue I had that was traced to my Gen VIII, which required replacement of the 4 volume cards therein. (My Gen VIII was originally a Series 1 at the local dealer circa 2002, upgraded to Series to by a private party, which I purchased earlier this year used on Audiogon, and then I upgraded to Series 3)

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #3008 of 7188 Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
wow - I haven't unpacked my units yet. They're sitting in my LR waiting on me. But I'm sure picking up a lot of interesting points on things to look for when I do. Great discussion guys.
post #3009 of 7188 Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've got my Bryston BDP-1 today. Sounds phenomenal/remarkable. See the Bryston BDP-1 thread I started at this forum on this.

Note: Just like I found that the CB3 HD wouldn't play DTS MA (or was it HD) tracks 192-24, or HRX 176.4/24, I find that it won't play from the
BDP-1 the 192-24 tracks, either. Plays 96-24 tracks fine. Note when I use only the Gen VIII Series 3 DAC, it plays everything and then some!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #3010 of 7188 Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Read on in the Bryston BDP-1 thread here at this forum!

I LUV this medial player.

Its a solid match for the CB3 HD and/or the Gen VIII Series 3 DAC!!!!
The Bryston DBP-1s gotta be the by far the best music value for the buck in high end audio!!!@@ And of course, the Theta products are a lot more $$$, but their performance for home theater, and audio in particular with the BDP-1, is simply amazing!!@@

I now can use either my Windows 7 laptop Or my Ipad2 as a controller, too!

post #3011 of 7188 Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Saw the movie "9" over the weekend and just want to recommend it for the fantastic sound in DTS Master Audio 5.1. I listened to the movie in both 5.1 and 7.1 mode to test. The plot itself is only ok, but the animation and sound of this movie were among best I have ever experienced. http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/De...=9_25195054584
I am impressed by the percentage of movies with "audiophile" grade sound, unlike music cd's where a large percentage has trashy sound forcing long suffering audiophiles :-) to a few demo favorites, and this movie is another with great sound.

The speakers did a disappearing act, both front and rear. Front imaging and effects hang in mid air way out in the room, spooky and wonderful.
The room boundaries decided to follow the speakers and disappeared also. Voice was warm and full bodied, not harsh. I loved it.

I think the movie sound itself is excellent to start with, and then with the Theta, magic is made. My Conrad Johnson Premier 16 pre-amp has finally met its SSP match. An SSP on equal footing with a "serious" all tube preamp, no apology needed.

Regards, Can
Theta sound: Powerful and full-bodied, stunning 3D soundstage, spooky imaging in "clean & quiet" soundfield. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
Give vinyl and tube pre-amp a try - the sound from heaven!
post #3012 of 7188 Old 12-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Read on in the Bryston BDP-1 thread here at this forum!

I LUV this medial player.

Its a solid match for the CB3 HD and/or the Gen VIII Series 3 DAC!!!!
The Bryston DBP-1s gotta be the by far the best music value for the buck in high end audio!!!@@ And of course, the Theta products are a lot more $$$, but their performance for home theater, and audio in particular with the BDP-1, is simply amazing!!@@

I now can use either my Windows 7 laptop Or my Ipad2 as a controller, too!

Steve,

It's great that you are so thrilled with the BDP-1. I recently received and installed my Theta Compli-Blu and it's quite amazing. More to follow once it's warmed up and I get some quality playing time with it.

Sam
post #3013 of 7188 Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post

Steve,

It's great that you are so thrilled with the BDP-1. I recently received and installed my Theta Compli-Blu and it's quite amazing. More to follow once it's warmed up and I get some quality playing time with it.

The Compli Blu is a top drawer Universal player including blu ray. Though now the BDP-1 is so darn good on stereo redbook, HDCD and hi rez audio that I may only use the Compli Blu occasionally for a multi-channel SACD
(probably not for stereo SACD, as the stereo redbook track via the Bryston BDp-1 sounds better than the Compli Blu playing the SACD track via HDMI into the CB3 HD. But the Compli Blu is worth its weight in gold simply as a top drawer blu ray player! I watch lotsa blu rays!!@@

post #3014 of 7188 Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

Saw the movie "9" over the weekend and just want to recommend it for the fantastic sound in DTS Master Audio 5.1. I listened to the movie in both 5.1 and 7.1 mode to test....

Similarly to Toy Story 2, the difference between 5.1 and 7.1 is significant, overwhelmingly in favor of 7.1. I don't know the technicalities of what actually happens, but it just seems the improvement is as much about relative front/rear loudness (rear soundfield is louder in 7.1) as it is about improved steering.

Rear loudness: I would have thought in principle, as you add 2 rear speakers in 7.1, to be "fair" to original 5.1 intent/content, the loudness of all 4 rear speakers in 7.1 would be reduced so that overall rear loudness "equals" that of the 2 speakers in 5.1, but it seems this is not the case, at least not in my (calibrated) system with the Theta and per my ears.
The result is this:
1. 5.1 soundfield collapses to the front screen. 7.1 nicely brings front soundfield out to the middle of the room, expanding depth.
2. Sound effects have more tendency to appear way out to the middle of the room, beyond the plane of the front spearkers. Very nice.

I didn't notice the above until I tried 7.1, and now that I have, I couldn't listen to 5.1 anymore! And this is done with 2 cheap speakers I got for the ceiling (B&W 682, a 2 way 8 inch + 3/4 inch; I have no other way of adding side speakers for now.). I would highly recommend those with 5.1 to give 7.1 a try. The difference is much more significant that I thought.

Regards, Can
Theta sound: Powerful and full-bodied, stunning 3D soundstage, spooky imaging in "clean & quiet" soundfield. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
Give vinyl and tube pre-amp a try - the sound from heaven!
post #3015 of 7188 Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I just tried DD compression and did not notice any change, my thoughts are it is not functional

Thanks.

post #3016 of 7188 Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post

Yes, the Bryston is a good choice!

Re the GenVIII, thanks for the input, but I've done all this, also as stand alone dac. I have owned a GenVIII v1 six yrs ago, so I am quite familiar with all the menus. The lock light is lit, but no sound. When I get home from work soon I will try to reset firmware to see if that helps.

Any success?

post #3017 of 7188 Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:

The Compli Blu is a top drawer Universal player including blu ray. Though now the BDP-1 is so darn good on stereo redbook, HDCD and hi rez audio that I may only use the Compli Blu occasionally for a multi-channel SACD
(probably not for stereo SACD, as the stereo redbook track via the Bryston BDp-1 sounds better than the Compli Blu playing the SACD track via HDMI into the CB3 HD. But the Compli Blu is worth its weight in gold simply as a top drawer blu ray player! I watch lotsa blu rays!!@@

Agree completely Steve! The BDP-1 will be my music source/player for a long time and the Compli-Blu will be my movie source. I don't own but a few SACDs and have never cared for multi-channel (more than 2) music.

Sam
post #3018 of 7188 Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Any success?

Unfortunately not. The GenViii was a couple of days at my dealer and with support from Theta, reinstalling firmware etc it was still not working so now it is back in the U.S., but ATI/Theta said they would look into it immediately.

The good thing in the midst of this is that I think my CBIII has improved since I got it after some use and with the Bryston BDP1 this is sounding really really good!
post #3019 of 7188 Old 12-07-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post

Unfortunately not. The GenViii was a couple of days at my dealer and with support from Theta, reinstalling firmware etc it was still not working so now it is back in the U.S., but ATI/Theta said they would look into it immediately.

The good thing in the midst of this is that I think my CBIII has improved since I got it after some use and with the Bryston BDP1 this is sounding really really good!

Yea, the BDP-1 is marvelous!!!@@@

I betcha all the Theta luvers luvin' the Bryston BDP-1 is giving Theta thoughts about doing their own media player!!!@@@

post #3020 of 7188 Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
For those interested, there are a few Compli Blu's remaining in Black/Rackmount only. When they're gone, that's all. A new 3D version is in the works but quite some time off. Norm
post #3021 of 7188 Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

For those interested, there are a few Compli Blu's remaining in Black/Rackmount only. When they're gone, that's all. A new 3D version is in the works but quite some time off. Norm

Cool!

post #3022 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Will a Theta CBIIIhd work with only extern Dacs?

Gr

Alex
post #3023 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas25 View Post

Will a Theta CBIIIhd work with only extern Dacs?

Gr

Alex

Yes - with the Theta Gen VIII DAC, you can use the CB3 HD's volume control with external DACs. However, is you use other DACs, then you need to use each DAC's volume control, or get the many years ago discontinued
Theta external volume controller.

post #3024 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

After owning several SACD players,one Marantz before the SA7, I finally settled on the SA7. It just seemed more natural sounding than any of the Sony SACD players. Esoteric makes great stuff and I considered the SA-60 after a local demonstration as well. The Marantz however has just brought such enjoyment to CD which is ironic as it was initially SACD which motivated my purchase. No matter how much I like SACD, there is no denying that most of my favorite recordings are still Red Book. I am so happy with the SA7, that I did not bother comparing my Gen VIII series one, as I was certain of the outcome. it has basically sat in my closet for the last 6 months. I decided it might be best if I waited after I upgraded the unit to series 3,to give the Gen VIII a fair chance.

However, a friend, a long time audiophile, suggested that I bring it to his place, just to have some fun. At my recommendation and because of my enthusiasm, he also owns the Marantz SA7. We used his SA7 as the transport. He's been extremely happy with the SA7 as well. It's a much newer design, one of the most current, and well reviewed. The Gen VIII series 1 is a much older design, ancient compared to the Marantz. It took ONLY 30 seconds for my friend to reach a conclusion as to which offered the better sound quality with Red Book. I thought that too soon for a fair assessment but my friend had reached his conclusion that quickly. I am just not comfortable making such a snap assessment and I suggested we wait a bit longer to decide. A lot of component selection is just personal preference so I wanted to reserve judgement. Secondly, I needed some time to adjust to his set-up as it had been some time since I critically listened.

What my friend had decided after only 30 seconds was clear from his statement,"A F**&ing UPGRADE!" I have never seen him smile so quickly or ever become so enamored with a product as he was with the Gen VIII series 1. It was a complete shock. But at the end of the day, the assessment held. He has owned a ton of gear and currently has the PS Audio Perfect Wave, so the snap decision was a surprise in light of that as well.

The Gen VIII series 1 was just so much more dynamic than I have ever heard his system sound. The sound is just powerful but not so much from a raw level perspective. What was really impressive is how much more alive the sound became. Typically, on a jazz track, there is a lot happening. The Gen VIII was able to really add snap and thus realism to performances.

It is difficult to describe and convey the differences between the sound of live music and what one hears in a typically high-end audio set-up. A drum solo for example is difficult to make realistic. While, many set-ups are dynamic and do an excellent job, it is still just difficult to reproduce. At least, that is the case with myself, after hearing hundreds of live musical performances with that as a reference. The friends whose home, I was visiting, is also a former jazz musician. The actual event is simple. You have a musician, sharply striking a taut drum head.

As a second generation martial artist, the amount of control of the stick that some drummers possess frequently has caught my attention. For example, to break a brick with ones hand it is not so much about raw power as it is about control. What you have to do is accelerate your hand so that the impact generates a resonance in the brick that cause it to break. Although it make look like a "raw power," event, it is not. It's actually much easier to break a brick if you stop your hand upon contact to allow the resonance to break the brick,though the force of initial contact must be great. If you continue to push your hand forward that actually dampens the impact and reduces the resonance. The fleshy hand is still soft in overall terms compared to the brick.

The same type of technique also appears to be happening with a drummer. The drummer is really accelerating the speed of the stick for initial contact and controlling the resonance of the drum head by how much he allows the head of the stick to remain in contact with the drum head and speed of the "attack" of the drum stick. There is a lot happening there and it is difficult to convey with most audio systems. My wife's uncle was recently voted one of the top 5 jazz drummers in the last 50 years in New Orleans. I have heard quite a bit of excellent drumming.

Where the Gen VIII appears to excel is that it actually can convey that kind of "micro" control. If you think further about what is happening with a jazz or any musical performance and the combined of event of several musicians playing at the same time, it logical that it would be difficult to hear the subtleties of individual musicians. Yet, it is quite easy to do with a live performance but often difficult with high-end audio,at least in a realistic manner. There are many things that distinguish a live event from an artificially reproduced one. The control that I hear with the Gen VIII is not so much about raw power and overall control but control within the reproduced events micro details. Of course the dac in the the only factor if the recreation of the event. I think you need a powerful amplifier capable of conveying the signal and controlling the drivers. He had that in the form of a Musical Fidelity KW750. One must also have a capable pre-amp. His is the Audio Research Ref. 5. Both excellent pieces of gear but I am always reminded that every component matters.

The series 1 that I have is fixed volume and can not be used as pre-amp. It therefore used solely as a dac. My friend had no interest at any rate in hearing it used a preamp. He's extremely happy with his preamp. While the other gear in his system is great stuff, the addition of the Gen VIII series 1 still elevated the system. Some of the preference for sound comes from experience. Where an inexperience listener, at least with the high-end can quickly decide that two components are equal, it takes experience to hear the levels of refinement that may not be obvious . My friend, an audiophile for over 30 years, noticed that quality immediately but it was his systems. This reminds me of how important an at home demonstration really is.

Read Kal's Stereophile review, http://www.stereophile.com/digitalpr...eta/index.html . That review is still an accurate assessment of the Gen VIII series 1.

post #3025 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After owning several SACD players,one Marantz before the SA7, I finally settled on the SA7. It just seemed more natural sounding than any of the Sony SACD players. Esoteric makes great stuff and I considered the SA-60 after a local demonstration as well. The Marantz however has just brought such enjoyment to CD which is ironic as it was initially SACD which motivated my purchase. No matter how much I like SACD, there is no denying that most of my favorite recordings are still Red Book. I am so happy with the SA7, that I did not bother comparing my Gen VIII series one, as I was certain of the outcome. it has basically sat in my closet for the last 6 months. I decided it might be best if I waited after I upgraded the unit to series 3,to give the Gen VIII a fair chance.

However, a friend, a long time audiophile, suggested that I bring it to his place, just to have some fun. At my recommendation and because of my enthusiasm, he also owns the Marantz SA7. We used his SA7 as the transport. He's been extremely happy with the SA7 as well. It's a much newer design, one of the most current, and well reviewed. The Gen VIII series 1 is a much older design, ancient compared to the Marantz. It took ONLY 30 seconds for my friend to reach a conclusion as to which offered the better sound quality with Red Book. I thought that too soon for a fair assessment but my friend had reached his conclusion that quickly. I am just not comfortable making such a snap assessment and I suggested we wait a bit longer to decide. A lot of component selection is just personal preference so I wanted to reserve judgement. Secondly, I needed some time to adjust to his set-up as it had been some time since I critically listened.

What my friend had decided after only 30 seconds was clear from his statement,"A F**&ing UPGRADE!" I have never seen him smile so quickly or ever become so enamored with a product as he was with the Gen VIII series 1. It was a complete shock. But at the end of the day, the assessment held. He has owned a ton of gear and currently has the PS Audio Perfect Wave, so the snap decision was a surprise in light of that as well.

The Gen VIII series 1 was just so much more dynamic than I have ever heard his system sound. The sound is just powerful but not so much from a raw level perspective. What was really impressive is how much more alive the sound became. Typically, on a jazz track, there is a lot happening. The Gen VIII was able to really add snap and thus realism to performances.

It is difficult to describe and convey the differences between the sound of live music and what one hears in a typically high-end audio set-up. A drum solo for example is difficult to make realistic. While, many set-ups are dynamic and do an excellent job, it is still just difficult to reproduce. At least, that is the case with myself, after hearing hundreds of live musical performances with that as a reference. The friends whose home, I was visiting, is also a former jazz musician. The actual event is simple. You have a musician, sharply striking a taut drum head.

As a second generation martial artist, the amount of control of the stick that some drummers possess frequently has caught my attention. For example, to break a brick with ones hand it is not so much about raw power as it is about control. What you have to do is accelerate your hand so that the impact generates a resonance in the brick that cause it to break. Although it make look like a "raw power," event, it is not. It's actually much easier to break a brick if you stop your hand upon contact to allow the resonance to break the brick,though the force of initial contact must be great. If you continue to push your hand forward that actually dampens the impact and reduces the resonance. The fleshy hand is still soft in overall terms compared to the brick.

The same type of technique also appears to be happening with a drummer. The drummer is really accelerating the speed of the stick for initial contact and controlling the resonance of the drum head by how much he allows the head of the stick to remain in contact with the drum head and speed of the "attack" of the drum stick. There is a lot happening there and it is difficult to convey with most audio systems. My wife's uncle was recently voted one of the top 5 jazz drummers in the last 50 years in New Orleans. I have heard quite a bit of excellent drumming.

Where the Gen VIII appears to excel is that it actually can convey that kind of "micro" control. If you think further about what is happening with a jazz or any musical performance and the combined of event of several musicians playing at the same time, it logical that it would be difficult to hear the subtleties of individual musicians. Yet, it is quite easy to do with a live performance but often difficult with high-end audio,at least in a realistic manner. There are many things that distinguish a live event from an artificially reproduced one. The control that I hear with the Gen VIII is not so much about raw power and overall control but control within the reproduced events micro details. Of course the dac in the the only factor if the recreation of the event. I think you need a powerful amplifier capable of conveying the signal and controlling the drivers. He had that in the form of a Musical Fidelity KW750. One must also have a capable pre-amp. His is the Audio Research Ref. 5. Both excellent pieces of gear but I am always reminded that every component matters.

The series 1 that I have is fixed volume and can not be used as pre-amp. It therefore used solely as a dac. My friend had no interest at any rate in hearing it used a preamp. He's extremely happy with his preamp. While the other gear in his system is great stuff, the addition of the Gen VIII series 1 still elevated the system. Some of the preference for sound comes from experience. Where an inexperience listener, at least with the high-end can quickly decide that two components are equal, it takes experience to hear the levels of refinement that may not be obvious . My friend, an audiophile for over 30 years, noticed that quality immediately but it was his systems. This reminds me of how important an at home demonstration really is.

Read Kal's Stereophile review, http://www.stereophile.com/digitalpr...eta/index.html . That review is still an accurate assessment of the Gen VIII series 1.

Gee Whillakers!!!@@@

Now upgrade from the Gen VIII Series 1 to Series 3, which does 192-24.
And add the Bryston BDP-1! And the sonics are unbelievably sensational on redbook alone, even better on hi rez audio. Simply amazing. I spend hours last night just listenin' to music of all different resolutions and simply enjoying my now most remarkable audio sonics!!! Thank you Theta (CB3 HD & Gen VIII Series 3) and Bryston BDP-1!!!

post #3026 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gee Whillakers!!!@@@

Now upgrade from the Gen VIII Series 1 to Series 3, which does 192-24.
And add the Bryston BDP-1! And the sonics are unbelievably sensational on redbook alone, even better on hi rez audio. Simply amazing. I spend hours last night just listenin' to music of all different resolutions and simply enjoying my now most remarkable audio sonics!!! Thank you Theta (CB3 HD & Gen VIII Series 3) and Bryston BDP-1!!!

I did note that, this performance came with a very expensive transport. It's just a kind of first glance at the Gen VIII. I will go back and try it with a lesser transport to see how much of a factor this is. The beauty of the Bryston is that it takes the need to buy an expensive transport out of the equation.

post #3027 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did note that, this performance came with a very expensive transport. It's just a kind of first glance at the Gen VIII. I will go back and try it with a lesser transport to see how much of a factor this is. The beauty of the Bryston is that it takes the need to buy an expensive transport out of the equation.

Absolutely! I found that sonics were equivalent using the Marantz UD9004 (sold months ago) and the Theta Compli Blu as transports (which I preferred over the PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport. But the Bryston BDP-1 Medial Player simply pulverizes them. Like your karate chop slicing a brick in half!

post #3028 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM

BD, your friend can buy Gen8 for $3500 HERE :-) Series2 is a significant step up from Series 1.
post #3029 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 AM

"And add the Bryston BDP-1! And the sonics are unbelievably sensational on redbook alone, even better on hi rez audio."
Are you able to up-rez redbook from the BDP-1? If so how does it compare to native rez from the BDP-1?

Steve
post #3030 of 7188 Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post

BD, your friend can buy Gen8 for $3500 HERE :-) Series2 is a significant step up from Series 1.

That's scary if the series 2 is that much of a step-up from the series one, just as a dac. I know about that one and showed it to my friend. He actually decided to get it. I left my coat and was about 15 mins away and had to turn around. He has a lot of property and drove to the entrance to give it to me. As he jumped out of his truck, his wife speed into view. There are a lot of speed bumps into his subdivision so I was amazed that she could go that fast. I swear it looked like she speed up even more when she saw me. I was supposed to be there and gone before she got back. As far as his wife is concerned, he is a recovering addict and I am the drug pusher. The Marantz SA7 that he has had for 2 years now is supposed to be mine that he is ,"just borrowing." He's "borrowing," my Gen VIII right now, which is black. The swap will have to be another black one. He's still borrowing,"my," Musical Fidelity KW750 several years later. I thought the wife would have given up after 20 years of this. He called me on my cell. "Did you see how mad *&&& was? She's going to kill me!" When I send mine in for the upgrade,that's about the time we will make the switch,hopefully next month.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page