post #5221 of 7192 Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post

My CB3HD is now working ok. Thanks for the advice from EDORR & finally John Baloff whom confirmed it.
It was caused by one of the top circuit (small) boards coming off from the Extreme Dac. It was stuck in the bottom of the cabinet. I managed to get
it out with out having to dis assemble things, Plugged it in & all fine now. Lucky it didn't cause any shorting out while I was using it.

I had a lot of trouble trying to update my CB3HD to V 420, My up to date Windows 7 computer kept asking for a file FT232R USB UART which
was very hard to find on its own. I have it now so if anyone wants a copy let me know.

Has Any one compared the best - say PS 12s-12 HDMI cable (or better) against a cheapo one as a lot of people on the net say there is no difference in AUDIO
quality with any of them. I have done some comparisons here (but not with expensive one) and can hear absolutely no difference, unlike coaxial I can.

Pity the CB3HD doesn't have 2 HDMI out so that I could have a small monitor for the OSD.

The CB3 HD is simply a pass though, whereas the CB3 had an on screen display, the CB3 HD doesn't! (Or has my memory gone bad in all the time I've had my HD upgrade?)biggrin.gif

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 7192 Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

The CB3 HD is simply a pass though, whereas the CB3 had an on screen display, the CB3 HD doesn't! (Or has my memory gone bad in all the time I've had my HD upgrade?)biggrin.gif

Your memory is good enough...fer yer age eek.gif

All of the Casablanca's had OSD capability, "IF" you had a video output card.

Not every Casablanca ever built before the CB-III HD had video output as it was still an option and could cost you about $500+ (depending upon type of the various video cards) just to get OSD.
Expensive option if your main video bypassed your Casablanca!
Bulldogger likes this.

TURN IT UP!
post #5223 of 7192 Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone describe the EDID problem that has been mentioned in the thread? I've been having some strange behavior from my center channel. It seems to turn itself off. To get the center back I have been going into the setup menu and adjusting the center gain in the DTS menu and then it comes back. Very strange. With the center not playing with the BR disc, I can go into the noise generator and have the pink noise coming out but when I return to the movie track I get nothing until I mess with the cgain in the DTS menu. Could this be related to this EDID issue?

Thanks for the help.
post #5224 of 7192 Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The EDID issue I've encountered is related to the way the CB presents its capabilities to a connected device, in this case a Windows computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

When the CB is connected to a computer it doesn't present itself as multichannel capable, only stereo. Therefore when one goes into Playback Devices and selects Configure you can't select a multichannel output. Therefore, when you try to send multichannel audio to it from a programme like JRiver, JRiver says it's not possible with your hardware setup. I don't think this is related to the problem you are experiencing.

On another note, anyone heard anything new re the Prometheus amp? I've been intrigued by the Hypex NCore NC400 builds people are doing.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #5225 of 7192 Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 AM

Liked: 14
Quick , and likely stupid question. If I upgrade to a Sony vw1000es 3d projector, the theta should handle it no problem right? Since its straight pass through? And I can still use the Sony 2d to 3d conversion ?

Thanks
post #5226 of 7192 Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

The EDID issue I've encountered is related to the way the CB presents its capabilities to a connected device, in this case a Windows computer. When the CB is connected to a computer it doesn't present itself as multichannel capable, only stereo.
You might be able to solve that with a Geffen HDMI Detective.

Or better yet, get Theta to change the EDID to correctly report its capabilities. Since the capabilities do not change, it makes no sense to tell the PC something different than other sources.
post #5227 of 7192 Old 08-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

LOL! Yes. I know.

Theta are currently testing a new software version which fixes the issue. I've been discussing the problem with John for a number of weeks. Else I would buy the Geffen. Wander back a bit and you'll see this mentioned awhile back. ;-)

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #5228 of 7192 Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am considering upgrading my silver casablanca 2 for the newest version (CB3-HD). Can you all please tell me a few things?

1. I have a silver faced CB2, with a BLACK cover/chassis - If I do the upgrade, will the unit be returned with the SILVER cover/chassis to match my faceplate just as I see in the pics on the website?

2. Will my remote control be upgraded/exchanged to the new backlit remote control?

**These questions are specifically as to whether "they are included with the upgrade price". Or "If they are an additional fee on top of the upgrade price from CB2 to CB3HD".

I know dealers prowl this site too so hopefully they can confirm this. They do not need to specifiy any prices, just hoping they will list specifics to what is included in the upgrade.

Thanks!
post #5229 of 7192 Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

I would wait for the new PR3 board

post #5230 of 7192 Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro2be View Post

2. Will my remote control be upgraded/exchanged to the new backlit remote control?

I didn't know there was a new remote available? If so, I would like one too! smile.gif

As Steve said, I would wait until Theta finally launch the new PR3 processing card before sending your CB2 in for the upgrade. Unfortunately, it is tough to say when this card will be available.
post #5231 of 7192 Old 08-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Liked: 12
I will be telling all about my experiences with my purchase of a secondhand CB3HD as mentioned above a bit later as I have still some testing to do.

As a newbie to all this media server / flac files etc I am getting the idea that this method holds greater audio synergy than the basic CD and if so I want in on it.

From what I can understand so far is that you can get / buy albums etc over the net and the highest quality is in the form of a flac file.
How do I get that flac file that's on my computer to play through my CB3HD?.

My CD player is the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD which looking at the instruction manual is a copy of the Compli Blu 3D.

Can I use this to play the flac files that are on my computer, however the Azur 751BD manual says it can only play WMA and MP3 files . The Compli Blu manual does not say anything.

So with this in mind what do I do and if I need to get other hardware what would be the best cost effective way and to use my CB3HD.

Thanks for all your help and this thread is great.
John
post #5232 of 7192 Old 08-25-2013, 05:33 PM

If you don't mind me asking, would there be a direct benefit to me waiting (financially) to upgrade to the newest PR3 when it comes out? I have never been part of the upgrade processes before as I have always kept only my CB2. Is it your belief that waiting on the upgrade, will yield me a better dollar for dollar savings on the entire upgrade process? I just want to be completely educated before I make my decision.

Thank you so much for the responses!
post #5233 of 7192 Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post

I will be telling all about my experiences with my purchase of a secondhand CB3HD as mentioned above a bit later as I have still some testing to do.

As a newbie to all this media server / flac files etc I am getting the idea that this method holds greater audio synergy than the basic CD and if so I want in on it.

From what I can understand so far is that you can get / buy albums etc over the net and the highest quality is in the form of a flac file.
How do I get that flac file that's on my computer to play through my CB3HD?.

My CD player is the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD which looking at the instruction manual is a copy of the Compli Blu 3D.

Can I use this to play the flac files that are on my computer, however the Azur 751BD manual says it can only play WMA and MP3 files . The Compli Blu manual does not say anything.

So with this in mind what do I do and if I need to get other hardware what would be the best cost effective way and to use my CB3HD.

Thanks for all your help and this thread is great.
John

I'm a few months ahead of you on this journey so I can give you a few tidbits of experience.

I think the first decision you need to make is your choice of source. You can go with Digital Media Adapter (DMA) or a device that integrates the DMA like a Blu-ray player. You could go with a Home Theater PC (HTPC); Steve Bruzonsky has a nice tread covering his experiences. Or you could go with something like the Dune which is kind of in between the two.

I already have an Oppo BDP-103, which has a pretty robust set of DMA capabilities, so this is how I've gone. I use my standard home-office PC to rip my discs to a NAS that the Oppo accesses over my wired home network. The Oppo can access the NAS from it's home menu or you can use the Oppo mobile app to play the files to the Blu-ray player. The HTPC or Dune options have a more sophisticated user interface and can have enough storage capacity to alleviate the need for a NAS, at least for a while.

You will need to go to the "Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming" sub-Forum and learn about formats, containers, and associated topics, it will take some effort but the folks over there are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Good Luck.
post #5234 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

It's not FLAC that gives the file quality. That's merely a lossless, compression algorithm. It's the sample rate and bit depth, and most importantly the mastering, that gives the file quality. ALAC is Apple's equivalent of FLAC. FLAC isn't compatible with iTunes while ALAC is. That's good if you also want your music library to be portable to iDevices. You can always transcode between file types without loss.

Check the spec of your CD player. If based on the Oppo it will play FLAC files. Just stick them on a USB drive and navigate to Media in the menu system.

post #5235 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro2be View Post

If you don't mind me asking, would there be a direct benefit to me waiting (financially) to upgrade to the newest PR3 when it comes out? I have never been part of the upgrade processes before as I have always kept only my CB2. Is it your belief that waiting on the upgrade, will yield me a better dollar for dollar savings on the entire upgrade process? I just want to be completely educated before I make my decision.

Thank you so much for the responses!

If you upgrade now, you get a machine that's only 44.1kHz/48kHz capable. The current digital inputs can only handle these resolutions. The HDMI inputs can handle higher sample rates but everything is down-res'd. The PR3 will replace the entire digital input card and bring the CB up to 192kHz capability. The hardware is ready. They're working on all the software programming that goes with it. The PR3 upgrade will also allow for the installation of a Dirac Live module.

post #5236 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Thanks again Steve for the important information. I heard rumor that the upgrade coming, would possibly be a "field upgrade" meaning you can just plug in the new cards yourself. Not sure if that includes the card you are talking about, or is only for the DIRAC card potion of it.
post #5237 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

I understand the PR3 module is field upgradeable. It is basically an exchange of the Digital In card.

post #5238 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM

Hello,

How much will the PR3 cost ?

Vincent.
post #5239 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The only announced pricing is $3,995 MSRP for the PR-3 with Dirac Live digital room correction including the Dirac measurement kit.

Jeff
Bulldogger likes this.
post #5240 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Thanks Jeff !

I will buy the pr-3 and Dirac .wink.gif

Vincent.
post #5241 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post

Quick , and likely stupid question. If I upgrade to a Sony vw1000es 3d projector, the theta should handle it no problem right? Since its straight pass through? And I can still use the Sony 2d to 3d conversion ?

Thanks

Bump smile.gif
post #5242 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

The only announced pricing is $3,995 MSRP for the PR-3 with Dirac Live digital room correction including the Dirac measurement kit.

Jeff
Quote:

I understand the PR3 module is field upgradeable. It is basically an exchange of the Digital In card.

The PR 3 Card Assembly is quite a bit more then a replacement for the Digital Input card and the ability to add Dirac Live capability.

The PR 3 will actually replace the Main and Aux Digital In cards, The 12 Channel Processor, and the Dolby/DTS card.
And the PR 3 has memory ability the Casablanca never had before.

And also, the USB data port will then be located on the new card, a better spot then where it is now in my opinion, squeezed next to the AC power input, where my AC plug covers half of it.
Of course the Vol. Data ports are on the card as well.

Every digital input should sound better from the new card then it currently does. At least, that is my hope and no doubt Theta's as well.

And this is what she should look like! Enjoy all of you picture hounds biggrin.gif

TURN IT UP!
post #5243 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Jeff

And if one doesn't want Dirac? Or Dirac without the measurement kit? (I already have a high-end mic and pre-amp for this sort of measurement).

post #5244 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

The PR 3 Card Assembly is quite a bit more then a replacement for the Digital Input card and the ability to add Dirac Live capability.

The PR 3 will actually replace the Main and Aux Digital In cards, The 12 Channel Processor, and the Dolby/DTS card.
And the PR 3 has memory ability the Casablanca never had before.

I meant in terms of its field upgradeability i.e. one swaps out a card (or two). But perhaps you can explain in more detail what would be involved with installation.
Quote:

And also, the USB data port will then be located on the new card, a better spot then where it is now in my opinion, squeezed next to the AC power input, where my AC plug covers half of it.

But still not an asynchronous USB input :-(
Quote:

Every digital input should sound better from the new card then it currently does. At least, that is my hope and no doubt Theta's as well.

Let's hope so. I'd like to finally here what 96kHz material sounds like.

post #5245 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And if one doesn't want Dirac? Or Dirac without the measurement kit? (I already have a high-end mic and pre-amp for this sort of measurement).

Jeff already gave you the only "announced" pricing for the card as you see it.

When/if Theta has other options available to announce, I'm sure he'll tell us.

TURN IT UP!
post #5246 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Announced January 2012

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=348933485117603&id=167169956627291

"Available June 2012"

Delivered [tbd]

I know the guys are working hard but I really think there's something to be said for keeping these in the same year. Now we are teased with photos of the hardware yet we know the software has been the delay. How much longer for PR3?

post #5247 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I meant in terms of its field upgradeability i.e. one swaps out a card (or two). But perhaps you can explain in more detail what would be involved with installation.

There should be not much more involved with the installation then you were expecting to do, except to pull more cards, which also opens the Casablanca up for further future expansion.

Quote:

But still not an asynchronous USB input :-(

Nope, still no USB audio input on this card. They are quite aware that we'd like one though smile.gif
Quote:

Let's hope so. I'd like to finally here what 96kHz material sounds like.

I have that same goal, 96k on all channels but I use the Gen. Viii for the front 2 channels of 5.1 surround music and the CB-III HD downrezzes the rest of em, so I get by just fine right now.

I'm sure we'll all be happier once the card is actually installed though.

Bulldogger likes this.

TURN IT UP!
post #5248 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

We should all get a massive discount for having held our breath for so long...I'm turning purple biggrin.gif

post #5249 of 7192 Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We should all get a massive discount for having held our breath for so long...I'm turning purple biggrin.gif

My personal take on that.

The upgrades have been fairly reasonably priced. And for that propose alone, I sometimes wait longer then I would like.

I get it, but it still sounds good now, you just want to use it's full capability! Not an unreasonable request.
Bulldogger likes this.

TURN IT UP!
post #5250 of 7192 Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

On a different topic, how do you guys find lip-sync with HDMI connected devices (e.g BD player) and the CB III HD. I swear my audio is delayed too much. Even with Master Delay set to zero.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page