post #7261 of 7264 Old Today, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
Let me guess, you are still stuck on Class A as well?
More like AB, but sure, and so do 90% of exhibitors at the last Los Angeles high end audio show.

But I will be the last person to tell anyone my way is the right way. If someone is happy with class D I have no criticism whatsoever.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; Today at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7264 Old Today, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As in Class AB is preferred to Class A or Class B or as in anything from Class A to B and between?

PS: you would enjoy the opening chapter of Douglas Self's "Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook" 6th ed. Worth the cover price for that chapter alone.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #7263 of 7264 Old Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
1. As in Class AB is preferred to Class A or Class B or as in anything from Class A to B and between?

2. PS: you would enjoy the opening chapter of Douglas Self's "Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook" 6th ed. Worth the cover price for that chapter alone.
1. Nothing complicated Steve, simply that the first few watts are class A, then amp switches to class AB. My Krell more than my Classe, because it is always steaming hot.

2. Quoting book and suggest reading? Are you kidding? No I wouldn't! One, my life is not that boring!!! Two, Holy Macaroni if you are implying (pardon me if you are not) reading book make you or me some expert at amp design or help to choose which amp, I am afraid not, at least not for me. I would just let the listening test be the arbitrator, but of course you already know this.

Are you switching to a class D amp? If so which one?

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; Today at 07:53 AM.
post #7264 of 7264 Old Today, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Switching to class D - nope; not yet anyway. But I am learning a lot about amp design and I have been following a design/build that I'm tempted to build myself as it's specs are frankly awesome (and schematics etc freely available for non-commercial purposes). Might be a fun project for the winter months.

BTW I just read this passage in the book I referenced above:

Quote:
Misinformation also arises in the purely technical domain, I have also found some of the most enduring and widely held technical beliefs to be unfounded. For example, if you take a Class-B amplifier and increase its quiescent current so that it runs in Class-A at low levels, i.e. in Class-AB, most people will tell you that the distortion will be reduced as you have moved nearer to Class-A condition. This is untrue. A correctly configured amplifier gives more distortion in Class-AB, not less, because of the abrupt gain changes inherent in switching from A to B every cycle.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page