8Likes
post #7321 of 7341 Unread 09-30-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I have five Aerial 7ts, plus 2 JL Audio f212 subs.

I know you have two Aerial 20ts and several Aerial subs. What are your center and surround speakers?
CC5 and 4x SR3s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7341 Unread 09-30-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnickuk View Post
Thanks.

So if you were in my position and listen to mainly movies and tv 99 % multichannel content! would you still add a gen 8 or should I spend the money else where.
I tend to agree that without a lot of music listening, the Gen VIII is of lesser value. I absolutely love mine for music. It's the best sound I have ever had. It will add dynamics to your system like nothing else I have heard.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #7323 of 7341 Unread 09-30-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
CC5 and 4x SR3s
If you have a chance, post some pics. I remember the last pics you posted! Awesome great at that time as well.

post #7324 of 7341 Unread 09-30-2014, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeyers View Post
I believe Gary Reber (Widescreen Review) now has a IV in his possession. Perhaps his magazine will run an equipment review of this preamplifier/processor/equalizer.
Awesome! He will most certainly review it. That magazine is really what first directed me to try the Casablanca.

post #7325 of 7341 Unread 09-30-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
I just have an observation....
I subscribe to all the audio magazines..and just opened one with the 'Top' components in it...
They list Bryston, Meridian, Krell..etc...but no Theta! No in the A, B, C or D List!
I have noticed this time and time again...no Casablanca, or Dreadnaught..nothing.
It's like Theta doesn't exist! WHY?
I would like to see the new Prometheus amps reviewed by Stereophile. Considering, what these amps represent in the advancement of class D, I think it's almost an obligation to have them reviewed. The last review of the Casablanca that was in the Absolute Sound was way back when the Six Shooter was relevant.

post #7326 of 7341 Unread 09-30-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
If you have a chance, post some pics. I remember the last pics you posted! Awesome great at that time as well.
Thanks, I did post pictures in the Aerial thread few weeks ago. See here.
post #7327 of 7341 Unread 09-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I use GenVIII also for the Center channel and thereĀ“s no turning back...
A true "assault" on the state of the art. Congrats; I am green with envy :-).

Thanks for the pics. Your home theater looks *fantastic*, really. Clean, elegant, and menacing with those side facing subwoofers; very beautiful to my eyes!

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles! My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; 10-01-2014 at 12:47 AM.
post #7328 of 7341 Unread 10-01-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I would like to see the new Prometheus amps reviewed by Stereophile. Considering, what these amps represent in the advancement of class D, I think it's almost an obligation to have them reviewed. The last review of the Casablanca that was in the Absolute Sound was way back when the Six Shooter was relevant.
We agree. Review is already well underway.

Jeff
post #7329 of 7341 Unread 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bulldogger (Or anyone who knows)

Does the iRule already have a library with all the RS232 for the CB available in its library ?
The release notes for iRule version 4 looks quite nice by the way. Seems almost "everything" should bee possible now.

Last edited by ANRE; 10-01-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #7330 of 7341 Unread 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
This is a very good point and the answer is no, not in my opinion. Timbre matching for the front 3 of a video system, at least to my ears and of course IMHO, is at a gross ("macro") level, whereas the nutty audiophilia differences, that come with the Gen VIII, tend to be at a minute level, yet equally significant, for 2 channel music audio. (Except for the bass, which is just out of this world for any Theta stand alone DAC.)

In my own experience: I happen to have 2 center speakers that I alternate, Thiel MCS vs. Aerial CC5, as far as timbre matching for smooth panning, etc., it has been extremely hard for me to tell between when the Aerial CC5 is there vs. Thiel MCS. Timbre matching is not an easy issue: even within a speaker line, I've found that my small Thiel speaker has different timbre than my Thiel tower, and the old Thiel sounds different than the new Thiel. Thankfully, my ears do not detect these differences well.

And yes I did make a distinction between audio vs. video. *Not* to say at all that I am right, just how I do it: my standard when evaluate 2 channel audio (image focus, front soundstage layers, transparency) is at a totally different level, and in many ways much more stringent, than video. The picture of a video system tends to overwhelm the minute differences that are so important in an audiophilia evaluation. Taking us back to your original question, and my answer: IMHO, no, Gen VIII for those so lucky is not going to hurt anything!

whole heartedly agree
post #7331 of 7341 Unread 10-05-2014, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I would like to see them do a head-to-head comparison of them versus the Mola Mola. It would be very interesting for those with linear PSU biases...

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #7332 of 7341 Unread 10-05-2014, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting place to put the subs. In a small room it's very interesting to place the sub(s) right next to our just behind the listening position. I moved my Rel Stentor II to directly behind my listening couch. The result was simply awesome.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #7333 of 7341 Unread 10-05-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Jeff
Jeff, please ensure there's good coverage of the rationale for the PSU, any of the options Theta elected to take from the Hypex's modules standard options list or any other "custom' elements requested by Theta. The usual 'marketing-wishy-washy-hyperbole' reviews aren't worth the paper they occupy. Get into the detail, the drivers of design choices and it will have value.

Cheers

Steve

post #7334 of 7341 Unread 10-05-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
Interesting place to put the subs. In a small room it's very interesting to place the sub(s) right next to our just behind the listening position. I moved my Rel Stentor II to directly behind my listening couch. The result was simply awesome.
I have two subs in the rear also, on the sides, behind each corner of the couch.
post #7335 of 7341 Unread 10-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Reporting a (quick) sonic comparison between Crossover choices and roll-off rate when applied to the main speakers. I prefer to run my main LR Thiel towers full range, but some of these blockbusters such as Gravity, Super 8, and recently Serenity, are threatening to send my Thiel woofers into orbit :-), so I started to play around with crossover type and the roll off rate. Below are the 2 that I chose to compare, arbitrarily. I found the result interesting; keep in mind that this is for LR main speakers, NOT the surrounds.

1. Phase Perfect, low pass at 40 hz, 6 dB per octave roll off.
2. Linkwitz Riley, low pass at 40 hz, 24 dB per octave roll off.

My first attempt was Phase Perfect at 6 dB roll off. I immediately could hear that there is an additional warm/full character to the front soundstage when I AB switched between LR full range and LR crossover'ed with Phase Perfect 6 dB. It took a while for me to identify what was going on with the sound, but basically there is a subjective increase in mid and upper bass, that in turn decreases clarity and transparency of the front soundstage. The atmospheric "air" space around actor's voice (not in my head :-)) seems cut off.
Switching to Linkwitz Riley at 24 dB roll off, the muddiness of front soundstage and voice is much improved, to the point that it was hard for me to tell when AB switching between full range and crossover at 40 hz. I preferred this faster roll-off, by far!

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - THE processor for audiophiles! My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; 10-06-2014 at 09:12 PM.
post #7336 of 7341 Unread 10-06-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Can, you need to upgrade...send it in tomorrow!

post #7337 of 7341 Unread 10-07-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like your layout. It's very elegant. It seems all your arrangements are. Looking at it made me also realize that Dirac live gives you more freedom to place speakers closer to boundaries. You and lose a lot of your space achieving good sound if you have to be so far away from boundaries as in the past.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 10-07-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar
post #7338 of 7341 Unread 10-07-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post
Bulldogger (Or anyone who knows)

Does the iRule already have a library with all the RS232 for the CB available in its library ?
The release notes for iRule version 4 looks quite nice by the way. Seems almost "everything" should bee possible now.
Yes. If you see something that you want that is not there, let me know. It is possible to control almost every parameter of the CB. There is quite a bit of feedback there as well for status. I did most of the stuff there and others copied it and added some more.

Last edited by Bulldogger; 10-07-2014 at 07:53 PM.
post #7339 of 7341 Unread 10-07-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
I like our layout. It's very elegant. It seems all your arrangements are. Looking at it made me also realize that Dirac live also give you more freedom to place speakers closer to boundaries. You and lose a lot of your space achieving good sound if you have to be so far away from boundaries as in the past.
Thank you, and yes, Aerial 20T in this position with a huge screen in middle was simply not possible before Dirac Live.
post #7340 of 7341 Unread 10-07-2014, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Jeff
I am happy to hear this. Can you give us some more information on the Interpid AV? I saw the announcement on Facebook today.

post #7341 of 7341 Unread 10-07-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Buldogger:

Intrepid AV is the Theta Digital distributor for Norway. I posted a copy of an ad they are running. They also distribute Aerial.

Jeff
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List