21Likes

post #7471 of 7484 Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
I know this isn't what you want to hear but if ease of use and a state-of-the-art application are priorities then JRiver and JRemote can't be beaten.

I've used my Oppo in the manner suggested by jjwinterberg and it unfortunately bears no comparison. A dedicated PC (Windows motherboard with HDMI out) left running or, if you prefer, set so that JRiver launches on boot up and you don't need to worry about flicking between applications etc. If you are uncomfortable building the PC (it's surprisingly easy even for someone like me that had never done it before) then there are places which will do it for you. I believe Steve here had a good experience with one such service.
I have a notebook PC here, that I bought for the Casa IV upgrade. I didn't owe PC...so I bought one.
It has an HDMI out...nothing fancy.
But your saying in JRiver and the JRemote...once I take it out of sleep, I can run everything in the JRemote?
Even volume? On the Casa? With most all apps, I have to switch between apps to control the music, and another app, which is iRule, to control the volume.
I love iRule...and they do have plugins.....but I don't know if thay have a plug in for JRivers?
I can build a stand alone box for this...I've done it....again, I was looking for ease, everything being controlled thru the iRule app....no going to the other room for
equipment control at all.

And JRivers will play DSD, and imput that to the Casa through the HDMI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7484 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Correct. I only use the PC in conventional fashion when it requires administration (and even then mostly via my iPad). Set JRiver to open on boot up. (I'm not a Windows guy as I generally prefer Macs and so can't recall how to do this off the top of my head but it isn't hard.) Volume can be controlled from JRemote but I prefer to control the volume via the Casablanca so I'm not the guy to ask re that (on my setup the volume control in JRemote doesn't do anything). If your wife can manage your CB and system via iRule she's way ahead of me. I do that manually. JRemote controls JRiver from an iOS device. At most she/you would select content via JRemote and then flick to iRule on the iPad/iPhone to manage volume and CB settings. Easy peasy and way better than the Oppo - any other device will have to be controlled the same way.

Yes, JRiver will play a DSD ISO out of the PC mobo HDMI. I'm doing exactly that with mine. Set JRiver to convert it on the fly to LPCM and the CB detects multichannel LPCM and cooks with gas. (I've also ripped my old DVD collection to my Synology NAS and JRemote can be used to manage JRiver playback of all those files. Bulldogger here is uber excited about video via JRiver. Personally, I rarely look at those old movies and prefer the newer higher res Blu Ray for which I haven't bothered to rip.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #7473 of 7484 Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
Thank...I forgot about that.
When I researched that a while back...the iPad app was not all the great....but I'm guessing it has been updated.
Can you make playlist....and arrange tracks in a playlist with the Oppo App?
Hey Dan,

I don't know if you can create play lists. The Oppo forums have a wealth of very knowledgeable people who could help you.

The streaming apps for the Oppo continue to improve but are not the focus of the Oppo development team so it's somewhat of a crap shoot. I will tell you that the latest 3.03 version of the Media Control app is quite stable and works well.

I'm sure that a dedicated PC with JRiver would be a more feature rich solution but for me, since I wanted a dedicated disc spinner the streaming features were a great bonus and satisfy my needs. I have ripped all of my music onto my NAS using Windows Media Player and for non-critical listening find the Oppo solution to be very convenient and low maintenance.

Good luck whichever way you go.
post #7474 of 7484 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I know this isn't what you want to hear but if ease of use and a state-of-the-art application are priorities then JRiver and JRemote can't be beaten.

I've used my Oppo in the manner suggested by jjwinterberg and it unfortunately bears no comparison. A dedicated PC (Windows motherboard with HDMI out) left running or, if you prefer, set so that JRiver launches on boot up and you don't need to worry about flicking between applications etc. If you are uncomfortable building the PC (it's surprisingly easy even for someone like me that had never done it before) then there are places which will do it for you. I believe Steve here had a good experience with one such service.
Yes, I used Small Green Computer, following ideas from the Computer Audiophile Form, which recommends them.100% positive experience.

JRemote for the iPad is a fantastic easy to use program that I also highly recommend!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #7475 of 7484 Old Today, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
If you guys haven't done so, read the Widescreen Review interview with Morris Kessler of ATI. He discusses this very issue (interference in multichannel amps due to proximity) in that article and there are all kinds of other tidbits. For example, I didn't know that ATI manufactured many amps which were sold under various labels including Adcom, Datasat, and now Theta. He actually hinted that he thought that the ATI branded amp was better than the Theta that he made. SB would not be pleased.
Yes, I have read it several times. It's a great article.I am sure that the Datasat amplifier reviewed in Widescreen Review is some variant of this design as well. That review is also a rave review. All subject reviews as well of the specs are very favorable.
The Signature amps basically operate as monoblocks with separate power cords if you by the stereo versions. With this being the 20K forum, I'd hope that one could by several pair if "interference," from multichannel designs is a such a great concern. It's difficult to have a prospective without context. That context is the specs of similar amplifiers in the price range.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #7476 of 7484 Old Today, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bulldogger here is uber excited about video via JRiver. Personally, I rarely look at those old movies and prefer the newer higher res Blu Ray for which I haven't bothered to rip.
Nope that's not the only reason. The 4K upconversion is my major motivation. The consensus seems to be that even with 1080p sources and front projection, 4K looks better. Here's just one review but you don't have to look far to find the same sentiment http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...tor_review.htm . Further, with a couple of devices, you can input, satellite or cable TV, into the your PC and considerably improve the picture. You will need a powerful GPU to do this however to see the largest benefit with the highest settings in madVR, but the "bang for the buck," is huge. I have never personally compared a Lumagen video processor, to madVR but many claim that it is better. Perhaps a bit of ignorance is at play here but even with 1080p source material chroma upscaling is done within the device. How well that is done, is a factor in picture quality. "With Blu-Ray the luma (brightness) information is stored in 1920x1080 pixels, however, the chroma (color) information is only stored in 960x540 pixels. So someone somewhere has to upscale those 960x540 chroma information to 1920x1080. There are a multitude of upscaling filters available, all have their advantages and disadvantages. That's why different renderers produce different results. madVR uses a very soft upscaler for chroma to get rid of jaggies. I don't think you can get much better results than what madVR already does right now for chroma upsampling." http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228&page=2 If this really were not true, why waste money on an Oppo when you can get 1080p playback for a fraction of the cost? I could not match the Oppo for picture quality, even with 1080p until, I upgraded to a powerful GPU.

Last edited by Bulldogger; Today at 01:26 AM.
post #7477 of 7484 Old Today, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
This is the 20k forum. Quit worrying about great multichannel amps. Get great monoblock amps. HA!
+1

post #7478 of 7484 Old Today, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Recently, I purchased a Sound Devices Usbpre 2 to use with my Earthworks M30 mic. Previously I was using a power M30bx mic. I am very impressed with the Usbpre 2. It is really has an extensive array of features. It's a USB to SPDIF convertor that outputs all the popular sample rates over coax, great little headphone amplifier, can even drive an amplifier directly, analog to digital convertor, as well as it's primary purpose a computer interface/mic preamp. Perhaps many may see the investment in better gear than the supplied mic with the Dirac upgrade not really worthwhile because it's not like you would be doing a lot of measurements. I have found that I like the Usbpre 2 so much, that I am using it more for other stuff than as a mic preamp. Recently for example, I brought it along and used it with my laptop and Jriver to listen to some DSD files while at my in-laws for the holidays. There are even two headphone outputs, one is a smaller plug I use for earbuds and the other a larger one for standard headphones. The sound is very clean and dynamic.

Last edited by Bulldogger; Today at 01:52 AM.
post #7479 of 7484 Old Today, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you can use that with DL and the CB IV. The CB IV expects direct input to its USB port from the microphone i.e. it needs a USB mic and the CB is the "pre-amp". I use a Roland pre-amp and an iSemcon mic for REW. Of course you have to profile the pre-amp's impulse response behaviour to rule out its influence on results but these devices are typically very flat. Of course, you can use a cheaper, less flat pre-amp, profile it and get exactly the same results because you will profile its behaviour and the profile curve will adjust for lack of flatness. When you start doing this sort of analysis you quickly realise that there are bigger variables at play that totally swamp the precision of the mic (the impulse response of which has been calibrated anyway).

post #7480 of 7484 Old Today, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

For those running multiple subs, how are you splitting/duplicating the sub channel from the CB? (My CB has its Xtreme DACs configured for 7.1 even though I am only running 5.1. I guess I could reconfigure the DACs for 2 subs - not sure how - but then the same question would present itself if I moved to 7.1 and multiple subs.)

post #7481 of 7484 Old Today, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The other thing that might be interesting to hear people's views on is the "ideal" frequency response curve. One thing I have noticed is that the "auto" Dirac Live curve is very flat with a mere sub-5dB slop between 20Hz and 20 kHz. What are people using on their CB IV calibrations?

post #7482 of 7484 Old Today, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
The 4K upconversion is my major motivation. The consensus seems to be that even with 1080p sources and front projection, 4K looks better.

If content is mastered into 1080p like my resolution/sweep video test patterns, then all 1080p signals can benefit from being displayed on a 2160p display with good video upconversion.

1080p sweep patterns are not displayed with full resolution on 1080p TVs. How can a 1080p television pixel grid resolve information in a 1080p signal that is 1.5 pixels wide? 2.5 pixels wide? 3.75pixels wide? It can't. Aliasing happens. The information is somewhat muted on a 1080p display, but fully visible on a 2160p display (except for some details at the extreme end). The information that is 1.5 pixels wide is easily distinguished on a 2160p set because there are three rows of pixels that can resolve that information clearly at full amplitude. This is easy to demonstrate. In fact, a 2160p display still doesn't resolve all of 1080p's finest details if we are referring to still images and horizontal/vertical resolution. I'd suggest a 4320p (8K) panel would be needed to resolve those finest details (in the horizontal direction, a single 2K pixel width is broken into 2 for 4K and 4 pixels in 8K - I'm not including the same thing that happens in the vertical direction, which would have 4 new pixels in 4K and 16 new pixels in 8K). How much we'd appreciate the 8K panel for 1080p material is a different story...we'd rather be watching 4K content at that point.

Mark my words...I'll make the point that a 4K panel is required to fully appreciate all of the details in 1080p video and an 8K panel is required for 4K material...assuming that the content is good and rest of your video controls (contrast, brightness, grayscale, gamma) is all set correctly first!!

(current 4K content is a bit of a joke - especially that being demonstrated in stores via USB sticks provided by manufacturers. While impressive at first glance, we're far from delivering. Upon closer inspection, details are very smudged due to compression or whatnot...there is so much more to see!!)
post #7483 of 7484 Old Today, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
The other thing that might be interesting to hear people's views on is the "ideal" frequency response curve. One thing I have noticed is that the "auto" Dirac Live curve is very flat with a mere sub-5dB slop between 20Hz and 20 kHz. What are people using on their CB IV calibrations?

Is it true that the ideal response is not flat, but rather slightly curved with a bit of boost in the bass and a slight taper off in the treble? That seems to be what HAA recommends. I'm not sure how many people follow this methodology.
post #7484 of 7484 Old Today, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
Is it true that the ideal response is not flat, but rather slightly curved with a bit of boost in the bass and a slight taper off in the treble? That seems to be what HAA recommends. I'm not sure how many people follow this methodology.
For music I run flat from 120hz to 2khz, and go linearly down 3 db at 20k. I run 3db "hot" at 20hz, with a gentle curve from 120hz to 20hz. For movies I subtract 2db more at 20k and add 2db more at 20hz.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)