The official "Theta" thread - Page 258 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #7711 of 7718 Old 01-23-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Steve Kale, well if you are counting, that makes the dacs in the new Xtreme cards 2 years newer than the ones Datasat is using. I bet Trinnov too.

""Mini Gen 8," ?! : D If you truly believe that, sounds like you do, it will be true, at least for you anyway.
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 7718 Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Lastly, and separately, can someone summarise for me the various revisions to the Gen VIII from 2007? A unit for sale is advertised as 'new 2007 and updated 2010' but I see a press release dated July 2011 from Theta saying they are shipping the S3. The upgrade from S2 to S3 is advertised as costing $500. Only the input board was changed? No refreshing of PSU components or other components? (I'm trying to get a sense for what's 4 years old versus 7/8.)
If you are looking at buying a used Gen VIII, get the serial #, then call Theta and they can tell you if the unit is fully the latest or what upgrade and cost it requires. Theta can also give you dates of upgrades and what was done!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #7713 of 7718 Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2012 View Post

If you read some of the frequent posters in this thread (in 2013/2014)- you would think (older/current) xtreme DAC is best thing since sliced bread It is easily humbled by Oppo 105 DACs (with six shooter)- and yeah you are limited in no: channels.
CB3HD with SW update should be the basis for a valid comparison to that of Oppo- I have done so (just 2 channel without 6 shooter) and there was not much difference IMHO. I do agree new xtreme DACs is a welcome development.

Regards,
Kishore
post #7714 of 7718 Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
Lastly, and separately, can someone summarise for me the various revisions to the Gen VIII from 2007? A unit for sale is advertised as 'new 2007 and updated 2010' but I see a press release dated July 2011 from Theta saying they are shipping the S3. The upgrade from S2 to S3 is advertised as costing $500. Only the input board was changed? No refreshing of PSU components or other components? (I'm trying to get a sense for what's 4 years old versus 7/8.)
Steve K,

If seller does not know Gen VIII is a S2 then chances are it is not . Gen VIII S1 to S2 was a significant overhaul (and pricey ~$2.5K) , while S2 to S3 update was to change to input receiver-input board to accept hi-rez signals. You can check Jason V detailed posting on S2 HERE

If Theta has records they may be able to validate with serial no:, but most likely internal pics have to be taken to confirm updates.

You will be pretty happy with Gen VIII- go for it.

regards,
Kishore
post #7715 of 7718 Old 01-23-2015, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Cool When are orders for the 12 channel dac being taken?

Hey Jeff, here is a perfect oportunity to start getting Theta gear into atmos mix rooms. This one is 34 channels, id like to spec three of the 12 channel dacs. It would be connected to the cp-850 processor and a bss blulink to aes converter or fed from NEVE console. But how would the volume be controlled on the dacs rs-232 (special interface to neve console?

Inquiring minds want to know....

You may also want to (engage FLAK shield) keep the look more Spartan and less Cherubim Palladian as a rack mount pro option for atmos/dtsx mix rooms.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 01-23-2015 at 03:53 PM.
post #7716 of 7718 Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
jeeze.
post #7717 of 7718 Old 01-24-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cineramax, take such directly with Theta. I can't see this has anything to do in this thread.
post #7718 of 7718 Old Today, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'll try to get the serial number. At the moment the item is listed at far too high a price and the seller doesn't even bother to return voicemail messages which is, well, ___ [you fill in the blank]

Also, precisely how is volume attenuation done between the CB and the Gen VIII? Is it that the CB attenuates the digital voltage signal passed to the Gen VIII or is it that the CB passes volume control commands to (what I understand to be voltage attenuation in the analogue domain of) the Gen VIII?

(BTW a must read for all those who think running big uber-W amps at low (relative) volumes is the way to go:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyau...structure.html )

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)