The official "Theta" thread - Page 266 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #7951 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Photos circa 2003. Much has changed in the rack room. Different equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View Into Equip Room.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	585265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Room Back.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	585281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Room Right.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	585289  

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7952 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Photos circa 2003. Much has changed in the rack room. Different equipment.
Forget all this babble about equipment, I love your dog!
post #7953 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
Yeah, he's long gone but there are five more in his place today! The Theater has a name, "The GMG HT." Some people think it's a cute play on MGM. But GMG means Gus, Misty, and Glimmer. The three dogs that helped build it in 2002.

Anyway I will be the first to say I am getting way off topic here. This is the Theta thread.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #7954 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Processor:

Lexicon MC8 modfied for 8 channel AES out. Only used for AC3 files from the Jriver player. All advanced audio (Bluray rips) is via discrete AES from a Lynx AES16 card.

LCR lows, 3x hafler DH220 modules with two power supplies (repackaged)

Subs: Yamaha P2700 (2 18in subs)

Speakers: All DIY but using Morel, ScanSpeak and other premium drivers.

Goodness, Glimmie, sorry but I think these 4 things I highlighted just about invalidate every opinion you have. The Ultra Forum's police sends people to jail for using Yamaha amps! :-)

Just teasing ok? I don't make fun of others' systems - it's what they enjoy and we all have different priorities, but you are here antagonizing owners in a Theta thread and the "unbelieveable" engineering prowess that you always flash; I can't resist. Expressing opinions is one thing, antagonizing and harping, and being an uninvited troll in a forum you don't belong is another. Is it the attention you crave (honest question to invite you to look "within yourself")?

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; Yesterday at 03:56 PM.
post #7955 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Goodness, Glimmie, sorry but I think these 4 things I highlighted just about invalidate every opinion you have. The Ultra Forum's police sends people to jail for using Yamaha amps! :-)

Just teasing ok? I don't make fun of others' systems - it's what they enjoy and we all have different priorities, but you are here antagonizing owners in a Theta thread and the "unbelieveable" engineering prowess that you always flash; I can't resist. Expressing opinions is one thing, antagonizing and harping, and being an uninvited troll in a forum you don't belong is another. Is it the attention you crave?
Note the P in the P2700 model number. This is a pro product. XLR input, fan cooled, rack mountable. Still I will agree the build quality is a bit low end but it does the job I need.

I have not harped on this Ncore anymore than others have. And I did not even start this linear power supply argument. But this whole linear power supply has been harped on here and the conclusions have no solid basis. We have people here saying the linear power supply is what makes the Promethius stand out past competing implementations yet we have no proof of that performance.

As for not being invited, who determines that? I don't see where ownership of a Theta product is a requirement to post in this thread. If you think it should be, then discuss that with the forum owners. BTW, who invited you?

Furthermore VGI is a leading sales rep for Theta. One could go so far to say his posting on this thread is a conflict of forum policy. I'm not saying that but that conclusion could easily be drawn.

People also come to this thread considering to buy a Theta product. Should misinformation therefore not be challenged. And consider that Theta themselves does not make these claims either. It;s the fan boys here.

Telling lurkers that Theta has some secret sauce on the Ncore product when neither Theta or Ncore has stated such is irresponsible.

Myself, Steve Kale, and Blazer are all questioning the linear power supply hype on it's technical merit. and nowhere have any of us said the Promethius is not a good product.

Glimmie's HT Page

Last edited by Glimmie; Yesterday at 05:08 PM.
post #7956 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I actually did first consider buying ncore modules and making my own stuff. I certainly have all the technical skills and willpower.

I have investigated ncore from the perspective of cost effectiveness and the NADM27 is the most cost effective price per channel (even better than DIY) I am not nearly as obsessive about my 88 and 92db sensitivity surround speakers as i am about 2 channel.

DIY ncore also has the problem of building rackmount cases (of which there are none that ive seen) and building circuits for 12v triggers etc.

I did like the idea of DIY since i could put Neutrik Speakon dual pole connectors on the amps which is what my theater is setup with already. This was not a major enough reason not to buy NAD.
Hypex has created two tier product and retail approach--you cannot build DIY NC1200 mono design (unfortunately) unlike NC400. So you have to purchase commercial NC1200 based design.

While the modules are Class D, they (module and not amp) run warm.

Regards,
Kishore
post #7957 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Anyway my philosophy on price is basically not to pay more than I have to for a similar if not equivalent product. I do have kids I need to put through college ...

Your kids college should be your priority. However, as you have admittedly purchased 21 channels for Dolby Atmos, does your wife question where your priority truly lies.

I agree that your position should be nothing is better than the current amps I have - because if you ever change your position, you have proven you are truly addicted and that money for the kids college will be raided for brand spankin' new Theta Dreadnaught D and/or Prometheus amps.

Admit that the substance of what may sound better is not your primary concern - now that you have 21 channels of amplification, your primary concern is nothing sounds better than what you have so your kids can go to college!!!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #7958 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah, he's long gone but there are five more in his place today! The Theater has a name, "The GMG HT." Some people think it's a cute play on MGM. But GMG means Gus, Misty, and Glimmer. The three dogs that helped build it in 2002.

Anyway I will be the first to say I am getting way off topic here. This is the Theta thread.
Yes, but your dribble continues to DOG this thread, doesn't it???

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #7959 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

Just teasing ok? I don't make fun of others' systems - it's what they enjoy and we all have different priorities, but you are here antagonizing owners in a Theta thread and the "unbelieveable" engineering prowess that you always flash; I can't resist. Expressing opinions is one thing, antagonizing and harping, and being an uninvited troll in a forum you don't belong is another. Is it the attention you crave (honest question to invite you to look "within yourself")?

Guess what Glimmie's favorite movies are. At first I was gonna say the hobbit movies - but they don't have trolls, do they.
Must be Thor - they have trolls! Just like we do here in the Theta thread. Who needs The Bland anyway!

My home theater at:
post #7960 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Guess what Glimmie's favorite movies are. At first I was gonna say the hobbit movies - but they don't have trolls, do they.
Must be Thor - they have trolls! Just like we do here in the Theta thread. Who needs The Bland anyway!
So I guess you, Canaga, and VGI do not want even the slightest question of Theta on this thread. This thread is solely for unconditional praise and mild operational questions? I guess even bug reports by "invited" users are frowned upon. After all, no Theta product has bugs. They are perfect upon shipment?

For the Nth time I have to point out that neither I or others these past few days has bashed the product. We are simply questioning claims made mainly by you Steve regarding the linear power supply.

If people can't question claims and ask for further clarification, what the point of a Theta thread on the AVS forum?

Glimmie's HT Page

post #7961 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been away for quite a while, having moved to Colorado, and building a new theater here. I see, reading the last page, not much has changed here in the last six months. Party on, Norm
post #7962 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
John,

I was going to say the exact same thing..

Glimmie, Your dog is awesome. Super cute !!!

Room is nice also my friend

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
20 years of high end audio/video
Theta Digitals World Supreme Dealer
732-616-1010
post #7963 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
a company re-purposing and re-using a design doesn't say much. every engineer knows that -uhm- borrowing established designed patterns and trying some innovation around them is what *every* engineer does. in audio you could claim pretty much every amp follows the exact same design lines, but it is the nuances that make the difference. i have evolved from an electrical engineer (but only designed two or three boards in my life ever, in a different industry), and am now more of a software person... where with open source and the engineering around established design patterns we do the same - sometimes marginal, sometimes significant -and always incremental- innovation, but always around stuff that we believe to work. let's just say that i doubt any company *ever* has fundamentally innovated around *every* aspect of the design... it'd be lunacy in engineering terms, really.

i love the NAD M22 with whatever Ncore is in there. love it. i could not care less about how much innovative engineering NAD did or didn't do around it. the fact is it is a wonderful product that works for me. i have unfortunately not listened to the Thetas (still paying of my ex wife doesn't allow me to entertain the thought of additional upgrades, plus i am happy with what i have for my needs), but would love to, because i have no doubt they have focused their engineering prowess on their own core expertise to find a differentiator that -clearly- their customers appreciate and declare a full success. no other proof is required as far as i am concerned, especially when Stereophile concurs with said customers and declares the Theta P stellar (i don't always agree with Stereophile but i always respect them). i think when they review the NAD M22 they will also declare it a piece of equipment that measures and performs very well, especially at the price.

as we speak i have been listening to the Benchmark AHB2 for 2 evenings, and for now i rank it behind the M22 in my setup. it's a tad too laid back and doesn't offer enough drama with my speakers, with a somewhat receded set of highs (i like some sibilance). which comes to prove that different (and extremely competent designs) work better based on people's setups, priorities and personal preferences.

if anyone in the Bay Area wants to arrange for a listening for their Theta Ps, i will bring along a $100 bottle of Barolo. i am well behaved. :-) would love to listen to them. i do think the Ncore designs have done something special for the industry, and the innovation around them will bring even more exciting stuff along.

System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher
Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e
post #7964 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
a company re-purposing and re-using a design doesn't say much. every engineer knows that -uhm- borrowing established designed patterns and trying some innovation around them is what *every* engineer does. in audio you could claim pretty much every amp follows the exact same design lines, but it is the nuances that make the difference. i have evolved from an electrical engineer (but only designed two or three boards in my life ever, in a different industry), and am now more of a software person... where with open source and the engineering around established design patterns we do the same - sometimes marginal, sometimes significant -and always incremental- innovation, but always around stuff that we believe to work. let's just say that i doubt any company *ever* has fundamentally innovated around *every* aspect of the design... it'd be lunacy in engineering terms, really.

i love the NAD M22 with whatever Ncore is in there. love it. i could not care less about how much innovative engineering NAD did or didn't do around it. the fact is it is a wonderful product that works for me. i have unfortunately not listened to the Thetas (still paying of my ex wife doesn't allow me to entertain the thought of additional upgrades, plus i am happy with what i have for my needs), but would love to, because i have no doubt they have focused their engineering prowess on their own core expertise to find a differentiator that -clearly- their customers appreciate and declare a full success. no other proof is required as far as i am concerned, especially when Stereophile concurs with said customers and declares the Theta P stellar (i don't always agree with Stereophile but i always respect them). i think when they review the NAD M22 they will also declare it a piece of equipment that measures and performs very well, especially at the price.

as we speak i have been listening to the Benchmark AHB2 for 2 evenings, and for now i rank it behind the M22 in my setup. it's a tad too laid back and doesn't offer enough drama with my speakers, with a somewhat receded set of highs (i like some sibilance). which comes to prove that different (and extremely competent designs) work better based on people's setups, priorities and personal preferences.

if anyone in the Bay Area wants to arrange for a listening for their Theta Ps, i will bring along a $100 bottle of Barolo. i am well behaved. :-) would love to listen to them. i do think the Ncore designs have done something special for the industry, and the innovation around them will bring even more exciting stuff along.
You are clearly the sanest of all of us posting in this thread!!!

My home theater at:
post #7965 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Guys -

I am going to keep this kind of short but I can elaborate a little more on the power supply as I have more info from a very reliable source..

So for starters

NCore 400 designed for much lower power output and one of its issues is that when fed with US 117 Volt power the power Sags great with the Switching supplies and to gain power the distortion goes up greatly.. Ncore 400 fed in Europe on 220 Volt supplies believe it or not will sound much better.. The Switching supplies being used by most companies are of course variable voltage and when they are fed with 220/240 they work decent and on 117 not so much.. This doesn't matter much for this thread as we are talking Ncore 1200 but a fun fact to know.. The feeling I got out of this part of the conversation was if you keep the output power low like 50-100 watts , the Ncore 400 can be very nice for low cost amps.

Ncore 1200 is an entirely different beast.. Designed for much higher output it requires alot more work to get it right.. Its funny you guys make it sound like you just buy a module and hook up power and voila you have an amp.. Not quite with Ncore1200.

The power supply to drive Ncore has to be more than a power supply.. It must have starting circuits and a Microprocessor to control the Amp Module.. This is a requirement and that you must have to control the Amp, regulate it , keep track of all kinds of things to keep the amp running and doing what it needs to do.. As power ramps the micro tells the module what to do. The sync between the Micro and the Amp module are key to its sonic signature and because Hypex custom builds the Theta Ncore1200 modules for Theta, the magic is the way Theta has dialed in the Control and Power feed to the Module itself..

I can tell you they tried switching supplies and never got to the sound level they achieved with the Reich Linear Supply. There is something that I don't quite understand but what I got from this conversation was that if a Switching Supply was really high end and included Power Factor Correction it could be a nice alternative to the linear solution but the cost of the Amp might be 50K.. Apparently there are serious regulations with switchers and how they dump noise back on the grid and this is a huge certification issue here in the USA apparently.

The bottom line is this isn't a case of buying a Power supply and plugging it into a hypex 1200 and you have a working amp. Its a whole lot more complicated than that and I am not going to try and teach amp design to you guys because I am not qualified to do so .. My friends in the industry don't want to teach you guys either because then they have more competition

So I see it like this - For lower powered requirements 50-100 Watts the Ncore 400 can do the trick for some people.. The 400 modules are popping up everywhere and from dozens of companies for prices that are amazing for what you get.. Nad's 7 Channel unit is 3995 on crutchfield.. Thats less that 600 per channel.. They rate it for 180 WPC and I can tell you that at 180wpc regardless of what they say the distortion will be very high..

For the high end Clients and by the way we are in the 20K and up forum last time I checked.. The Ncore1200 is what these people want.. It can be Mola Mola, Bel Canto has a 50K solution i hear, Jeff Rowland I am pretty sure is using it in their 925 monos but doesn't say so.. Read the specs , it looks like Rowlands using a high end switcher as it says its got PFC. I think those are 35-40K a pair.. There are quite a few guys doing the Hypex 1200 and I bet there will be plenty more to come.. Just so happens the Theta Solution is the least expensive out of the ones I've mentioned. More important is I don't know anyone doing a Multi Channel Hypex 1200 except for Theta with their new soon to be out Dreadnaught D !

Hypex Ncore as a AMP technology is amazing and I think over time everyone will agree with this. For High End people deciding to do Rowand or MolaMola or Theta , its all great and I am sure people will realize this when they get to hear them.. For others the Ncore 400 solution for a much lower cost solution is great as well.

Guys, I hope this sheds some light on what the Hypex Solutions are all about and for more detailed Hypex info, we probably should move that to a more detailed Hypex Thread if someone wants to start one..

This is the Theta Thread in the 20K and Up group and I am sending it back to that

Craig

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
732-616-1010
post #7966 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablolie View Post

Yay Pablo - Well said my friend.. Ahh someone that gets it .. Thank you Thank you !

Pablo, maybe Call Jeff Hipps (Theta) and see if he has anyone up there that can get you a demo or if possible take a quick plane ride to Bruzonskys house and get a real world demo. I of course am offering Steves house without asking but I can tell you Steve loves to blow minds and his system can blow minds..

Its funny that the guys that don't know me (Glimmie, Blazar etc) think I do this for the money I laugh because I really don't..

Craig

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
732-616-1010
post #7967 of 7969 Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Guys -

I am going to keep this kind of short but I can elaborate a little more on the power supply as I have more info from a very reliable source..

So for starters

NCore 400 designed for much lower power output and one of its issues is that when fed with US 117 Volt power the power Sags great with the Switching supplies and to gain power the distortion goes up greatly.. Ncore 400 fed in Europe on 220 Volt supplies believe it or not will sound much better.. The Switching supplies being used by most companies are of course variable voltage and when they are fed with 220/240 they work decent and on 117 not so much.. This doesn't matter much for this thread as we are talking Ncore 1200 but a fun fact to know.. The feeling I got out of this part of the conversation was if you keep the output power low like 50-100 watts , the Ncore 400 can be very nice for low cost amps.

Ncore 1200 is an entirely different beast.. Designed for much higher output it requires alot more work to get it right.. Its funny you guys make it sound like you just buy a module and hook up power and voila you have an amp.. Not quite with Ncore1200.

The power supply to drive Ncore has to be more than a power supply.. It must have starting circuits and a Microprocessor to control the Amp Module.. This is a requirement and that you must have to control the Amp, regulate it , keep track of all kinds of things to keep the amp running and doing what it needs to do.. As power ramps the micro tells the module what to do. The sync between the Micro and the Amp module are key to its sonic signature and because Hypex custom builds the Theta Ncore1200 modules for Theta, the magic is the way Theta has dialed in the Control and Power feed to the Module itself..

I can tell you they tried switching supplies and never got to the sound level they achieved with the Reich Linear Supply. There is something that I don't quite understand but what I got from this conversation was that if a Switching Supply was really high end and included Power Factor Correction it could be a nice alternative to the linear solution but the cost of the Amp might be 50K.. Apparently there are serious regulations with switchers and how they dump noise back on the grid and this is a huge certification issue here in the USA apparently.

The bottom line is this isn't a case of buying a Power supply and plugging it into a hypex 1200 and you have a working amp. Its a whole lot more complicated than that and I am not going to try and teach amp design to you guys because I am not qualified to do so .. My friends in the industry don't want to teach you guys either because then they have more competition

So I see it like this - For lower powered requirements 50-100 Watts the Ncore 400 can do the trick for some people.. The 400 modules are popping up everywhere and from dozens of companies for prices that are amazing for what you get.. Nad's 7 Channel unit is 3995 on crutchfield.. Thats less that 600 per channel.. They rate it for 180 WPC and I can tell you that at 180wpc regardless of what they say the distortion will be very high..

For the high end Clients and by the way we are in the 20K and up forum last time I checked.. The Ncore1200 is what these people want.. It can be Mola Mola, Bel Canto has a 50K solution i hear, Jeff Rowland I am pretty sure is using it in their 925 monos but doesn't say so.. Read the specs , it looks like Rowlands using a high end switcher as it says its got PFC. I think those are 35-40K a pair.. There are quite a few guys doing the Hypex 1200 and I bet there will be plenty more to come.. Just so happens the Theta Solution is the least expensive out of the ones I've mentioned. More important is I don't know anyone doing a Multi Channel Hypex 1200 except for Theta with their new soon to be out Dreadnaught D !

Hypex Ncore as a AMP technology is amazing and I think over time everyone will agree with this. For High End people deciding to do Rowand or MolaMola or Theta , its all great and I am sure people will realize this when they get to hear them.. For others the Ncore 400 solution for a much lower cost solution is great as well.

Guys, I hope this sheds some light on what the Hypex Solutions are all about and for more detailed Hypex info, we probably should move that to a more detailed Hypex Thread if someone wants to start one..

This is the Theta Thread in the 20K and Up group and I am sending it back to that

Craig
Who told you this nonsense?

Quote:
As power ramps the micro tells the module what to do. The sync between the Micro and the Amp module are key to its sonic signature and because Hypex custom builds the Theta Ncore1200 modules for Theta, the magic is the way Theta has dialed in the Control and Power feed to the Module itself..
This makes absolutely no sense at all. It's sales goobly gook!

Starting circuits? Do you mean a soft start? Well one issue with torriods is high inrush current so no doubt the Promethius has a soft start circuit. And these day why not use a microprocessor for housekeeping. Three of my amps do as well. The micro controls the fans and monitors the power supply current. They're so cheap these days and even the freeware development tools are quite powerful. Soft starts are very common on large power amps.

But all this talk of the microprocessor regulating power between the supply and the amp module makes no sense at all. Class D amps do not use variable power dissipation. It's a PWM design, the audio is carried in time intervals, not voltage variations such as in a linear amplifier. The last thing you want to do is to vary the DC supply rails. That's not how class D works. You want a constant rail voltage. Regulation may not be necessary but you sure as hell don't want to modulate the power supply.

Here read the white paper!
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf

Switching power supplies dumping noise back into the power grid? Well yes, that's an issue but it has long since been dealt with. Do you realize how many switching power supplies are in a typical household these days? And btw, it's the Europeans that have the tough EMI standards. The USA is rather lax about that. In fact the Europeans require PFC on switch mode supplies so this is nothing exotic.

Wow this was quite a fantasy ride! There are some excellent texts out there on power amplifier designs. look up Douglass Self and Randy Sloan to start. There are also some good class D primers as well.

Quote:
The bottom line is this isn't a case of buying a Power supply and plugging it into a hypex 1200 and you have a working amp.
I'm sorry but that's exactly what it is!

Glimmie's HT Page

Last edited by Glimmie; Yesterday at 11:59 PM.
post #7968 of 7969 Old Today, 01:43 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Glimmie

I am sorry to say this but seriously man.. Your on the Theta Thread in the 20K and up forum and why ? We don't get it ?

I am sure your doing this on more than just this thread and we are not really sure why you are here.. You do not own a piece of Theta gear and I am sure based on your list of equipment you have no plans on owning any.. Can you please leave this thread to the Theta Advocates and the people who are interested in Theta products and not the inner workings of each resister and cap in their devices.

You are using a Lexicon MC8 Pre pro Glimmie and Hafler amplifiers in repacked metal.. Buddy, people here are really not interested in someone who has completely built a frankenstein system and actually one of he craziest frankenstein systems Ive ever heard of. I see you have your own dac farm you call it installed in your own home made speakers and volume controls you made and designed yourself.. This is great stuff in the DIY forum but no relevancy in the Theta Thread...

Please goto Brunos thread and pick on his Mola Molas and the Rowlands and all the other amps that you can build for 1/100 the price. Thats not what we are about here and I have to ask you to excuse yourself..

Your badgering and picking and asking questions about products you have no interest in makes no sense and you have too much time on your hands.. If you are going thread to thread policing the world of Audio well thats great but you've issued your citation with your wealth of knowledge and we get it believe me we get it.

I would like to return the thread to its Theta Centric Interest and please stop this nonsense... Its not necessary.. I am sure alot of people will agree with me..

Ill see you on the DIY thread..

Thx
Craig
Boonyarat likes this.

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
732-616-1010

Last edited by VGI; Today at 01:49 AM.
post #7969 of 7969 Old Today, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here is some info I got from a local Hypex retailer:

The NC400 and NC1200 modules are the original nCore modules with integrated input buffer and SMPS power supplies. These were designed to have the lowest possible distortion. But Hypex has also started to make down scaled OEM models of these modules. These come without input buffer and power supply and is a pure power module. I think it may be a down scaled NC400 in the NADs. I am not sure what Theta use, but probably a NC1200 with their own input buffer and power supply. It is also possible that Hypex make an own NC1200 version for Theta. I know from trusted ears that the Promitheus sounds excellent. But so does other nCore amplifiers. All oem nCore versions can do a little work with the input buffer and power supply to tweak the sound, but the genius here is Bruno Putzey and his mathematicly analysis and implementation of the full audio spectrum feedback loop. Anyway the Theta products are fantastic and very, very good sounding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page