The official "Theta" thread - Page 272 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Just setup our Kef Blade 2's with the Prometheus Mono's and did a listening session tonight and OMG was this awesome.. They only have 60 hours on them so we need to break them in a little more but I can tell you Prometheus and Kef is a wonderful pairing.. We are going to be doing demos in the next few weeks if anyone is interested.. Just bring a change of underwear because after you hear the Blades with Prometheus you will need it..

Craig
http://theshownewport.com/exhibitor-list/
Hope to see/hear them at The High End Show Newport Beach next month 5/2015. KEF doesn't seem to be on the list of exhibitors. And... neither is Theta??

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Hope to see/hear them at The High End Show Newport Beach next month 5/2015. KEF doesn't seem to be on the list of exhibitors. And... neither is Theta??
KEF's been there every year for the past several, though not always with Blades. Theta has not.

If you're there on Friday the 29th, I'll stand you a drink. Seriously.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Cannga

You have to listen to Blade 2 and if you get a chance also the new Kef Reference 1, 3 or 5.. I haven't been moved like this with speakers in a very long time..

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
20 years of high end audio/video
Theta Digitals Supreme Dealer
732-616-1010
Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
KEF's been there every year for the past several, though not always with Blades. Theta has not.

If you're there on Friday the 29th, I'll stand you a drink. Seriously.
Thanks for the invite; appreciated it. Won't be there on Friday though - must work that day for $ in preparation for this expensive 3D upgrade . 4 speakers plus amp plus upgrade do add up - 10k easily. This is the kind of number that make "normal" people/colleagues want to check my temperature.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Old 04-10-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Cannga

You have to listen to Blade 2 and if you get a chance also the new Kef Reference 1, 3 or 5.. I haven't been moved like this with speakers in a very long time..
Will definitely look for them. I had the cheap, really cheap Kef coaxial way back before I found religion (Absolute Sound and Stereophile); they had this polite English sound. But I am sure they can't compare to what you are hearing - I trust your ears.

BTW, who is the nice young man in those blade pictures? You?

Regards, Can
Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Thanks for the invite; appreciated it. Won't be there on Friday though.....
No worries, maybe next time.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So today is the day. Finally, I get to showoff my new Blade 2s

We decided to have a listen in today and we invited one of our most critical listener - Chris Lehner. Chris is one of the most die hard audiophiles we've ever met and we have the utmost respect for his ears.

Chris drove from Maryland to NJ to our audiophile listening event and we had a blast! Also here was Craig Shumer of Theatermax and some of you may know that him and I are involved in some Audio endeavors together. Craig is Authorized Kef, Theta, Aesthetix and lots more and of course helps us get the most amazing products at attainable prices.. We sat and played for hours drooling over what was going to blow our minds next. When a system reaches this level of sonics you can’t wait to put on another track to see what it can do. Time was flying and before we knew it we wanted to hear some other components in the system which Chris has brought with him.. We tested some Wyred for Sound Mono’s which are much less expensive and they did very well. They drove the Blades surprisingly well for the money and kept the sound stage really nice. Not quite like the Prometheus Monos but very very nice.

As a reference we stuck with the Theta Prometheus Mono's, the KEF Blade 2 and the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC. For Chris, this was the first time hearing the Blade 2 and I think he's really blown away. He seemed to have a big smirk on his face. We listened to a variety of Different tracks. Chris brought up a nice selection of DSD files in addition to my music library. As they continue to break in our excitement grows as we can not believe what comes out of these speakers. Lets not forget we have the Theta Prometheus Mono’s using the Hypex Ncore 1200 amp modules with Linear power which not only does Stereophile love but its our Reference Amplifier at this point. I am not sure there is a better amp on the market but thats just us and Stereophile saying that

We have had Aerials and Josephs and others as well on these amps but we have never heard anything like the Blade 2 and Prometheus combo. I'm sure Chris will be posting something as soon as he gets home.

Chris also had another reason for his trip and this is super exciting as well. He came up to get from Craig his long awaited KEF Reference 1 Speakers. The Reference 1 from what we read is going to be amazing and if we had more time we probably would have opened them and gave them a try but time flies when your having this much fun. Chris also had a long trip back and I know he wanted to get home to start to break in his new Ref 1s. I am sure he will be posting about that as well.

I'll keep updating as the speakers break in.

Last edited by saxguy; 04-12-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My CBIV is on it's way home after being upgraded from a CB3HD. So Jeff(The Bland), here is another customer that upgraded to Dirac with Theta. What I really can't wait for... is the new Ultimate DACs.

So my upgrade path has been: Casa Nova upgraded to Casablanca III(Evelyn), to Casablanca III HD to Casablanca IV. Not bad for not having to buy 3 high end processors from scratch, huh Jeff?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
So today is the day. Finally, I get to demo my new Blade 2s for my buddy Craig from Theatermax and one of our new audiophile friends, Chris Lehner. Chris drove up from Maryland to NJ to have a little audiophile listening event and we had a blast! We had the three of us here and we listened to them for a few hours, playing with some different amplifiers and things but as a reference we the Theta Prometheus, the KEF Blade 2 and the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC. For Chris, this was the first time hearing the Blade 2 and I think he's really blown away. He seemed to have a big smirk on his face. We listened to a variety of Different tracks. Chris brought up a nice selection of DSD files in addition to my music library. We're just getting more and more excited to listen to these and really enjoy them. I'm sure Chris will be posting something as soon as he gets home. I'll keep updating as the speakers break in.
Well what different amps? And which one sounded the best? Inquiring minds are nosey.[emoji12]
Old 04-12-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Well what different amps? And which one sounded the best? Inquiring minds are nosey.[emoji12]
Either:

(1) They have been non-stop listening now for two days straight without even bread and water and certainly without sleeping. Maybe quite sometime before they get to post here about their listening session; or

(2) The BLADE vampire has struck them down for listening to BLADE speakers. Vampires are very jealous!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Blu-ray/30384/

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Lol must be it.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
As a reference we stuck with the Theta Prometheus Mono's, the KEF Blade 2 and the Aesthetix Pandora Signature DAC. For Chris, this was the first time hearing the Blade 2 and I think he's really blown away. He seemed to have a big smirk on his face. We listened to a variety of Different tracks. Chris brought up a nice selection of DSD files in addition to my music library. As they continue to break in our excitement grows as we can not believe what comes out of these speakers. Lets not forget we have the Theta Prometheus Mono’s using the Hypex Ncore 1200 amp modules with Linear power which not only does Stereophile love but its our Reference Amplifier at this point. I am not sure there is a better amp on the market but thats just us and Stereophile saying that
What a super nice system - congrats and thanks for the fun report. I have not heard the Prometheus but all these reports from people with reasonable good ears (yeah including Steve B.) are making a believer out of me.

I really want to audition an Aesthetic component one of these days. Jim White from all indications is a super talented designer. Maybe the phono stage... hmmm the mind is churning :-).

Regards, Can
Old 04-14-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post
My CBIV is on it's way home after being upgraded from a CB3HD...
Very nice - congrats. Especially if you use the Casablanca for 2 channel music, I consider the move from CBIII HD to CB IV a must, for the reason that using "Matrix" mode to get true stereo in CB III HD seems to be so "dodgy." :-)

Regards, Can
Old 04-15-2015, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Very nice - congrats. Especially if you use the Casablanca for 2 channel music, I consider the move from CBIII HD to CB IV a must, for the reason that using "Matrix" mode to get true stereo in CB III HD seems to be so "dodgy." :-)
I do use it for 2 Channel with my Lynx AES16 sound card. My motivation for the upgrade was the better processing board. No more speaker snaps in rear surround with Dolby Digital. And from what I read there may even be benefits to ATMOS and DTS:X due to it's object based location of speakers. Depending on how it is implemented; might make the room better... TBD.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Matrix Switch in Conjunction w Casablanca?

Do any of you use a HDMI or HDBT Matrix switch in conjunction with your Casablanca? If so, can you provide a recommendation on best brand/models? Do you put it upstream or downstream from the Casablanca?

I will be using it in conjunction with a 4k Sony VW600ES and FMP-X10 media server so HDCP 2.2 would be highly desirable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,
Vector
Old Today, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector54 View Post
Do any of you use a HDMI or HDBT Matrix switch in conjunction with your Casablanca? If so, can you provide a recommendation on best brand/models? Do you put it upstream or downstream from the Casablanca?

I will be using it in conjunction with a 4k Sony VW600ES and FMP-X10 media server so HDCP 2.2 would be highly desirable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,
Vector
I have used Atlona HDMI stuff, but I don't have 4k yet. Google search their website as they might well meet your 4k needs.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431