The official "Theta" thread - Page 273 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #8161 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Wow sounds like a wild awesome time. Something like this would be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8162 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Oh some great news on Dread D - Here are the First pics and some Preliminary Specs -

Enjoy -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theta Digital Dreadnaught D preliminary specifications.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	680265  

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
20 years of high end audio/video
Theta Digital, Datasat, Devialet, Kef Ref
732-616-1010
post #8163 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 22
And to think - Steve just got new Aerials within the last year (I think)... I'm looking forward to the Dreadnaught D!

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #8164 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Me too. And why is the big black rectangle over the specs darnit. Lol Craig where did you get this info?
post #8165 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Looks like it might be part of the Owner's Manual. Any chance we can see the rest of it? We're not anxious or anything like that ...

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #8166 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Everything was going great until Brunzonsky so rudely interrupted our session I haven't talked to Steve in some time and he called in right during this amazing session which made us think his ears were ringing from 3000 Miles away and I figured he'd have his Aerials up for sale by now

Guys - In All seriousness- This was an amazing day for us.. Johan Coorg from Kef UK came in to visit a few dealers and we were lucky enough to spend what turned out to be 5 Hours with him and Jason from Kef USA. We had such a good time. First to understand what Kef is all about and hear it from a 25 Year Veteran like Johan was awesome. He has stories that are so incredible about the early days and the advancement of UniQ and the ups and downs and it was just great to hear such passion.. He is Kefs brand ambassador for the world and travels the world essentially talking about KEF.. Google his name and watch some of the videos on youtube.. The guy is an internet sensation and a pisser to spend time with.. His Ears and ability to listen and pick out details are amazing. He helped George and I tweak the Blades even further and once we did , what we thought was sick over the top great became even more incredible.

The Prometheus as we spend more and more time with it is proving to me and ask George he will tell you the same that this is the Pinnacle amp for us.. I have never had an Amp that drives and drives and continues its open air and clarity until you can't turn it up any louder because you get scared. I can't wait for more people to hear this setup. Its simple and nice and yea the Blade 2 costs a little bit but I am telling you that for 4X this price you can not get this performance. Engineering is what KEF is made of and it takes serious Engineering of the Entire speaker to get to this Level. Same goes for Theta.. I have always admired and represented companies with real world stories of Passion and Design and KEF has created a Standard of Speaker with Reference and Blade 2 that changes the game for us.

A room like Bruzonsky's with Blade 2 in it and Ref around the rest would be the most incredible thing I can imagine. Steve, Get your butt on a plane and come listen to Blade 2 and I am telling you your life will change. Your half way there with the Prometheus Amps , All you need is Blades and VOILA !!

George was an Aerial guy and a Joseph guy and he is a changed man now and understands the importance of a company that is 100% engineered in house and built in house. There are too many Speaker companies who are just buying drivers from all over the place and stuffing them into their own cabinet which a lot of the time isn't their cabinet either.. When buying a Speaker today I would strongly suggest you ask if they design and build the components themselves including the DRIVERS... You will be very surprised how many don't do it.. I am not going to start a list of who does it in house and who just buys and stuffs but you can easily ask.

After 5 hours and a lot of fun and 2 large pizza's which of course we all split although I could have polished off 1 myself we decided to take Johan and Jason out for a Ride in Georges Awesome AUDI RS7.. George claims about 700HP in this puppy and the 4 of us got in for a ride. George decided to pounce on the pedal and had the 3 of us screaming like little girls.. Johan video'd the ride and once we get it from him we will post it.. You should have heard the screams.. 0-60 in about 3.3 seconds or so makes you scream trust me..

What a day and I can't wait to do it again. Please accept our invitation to all to hear these speakers on the amazing Prometheus amps.

THX
Craig
The Blade 2's sort of look like a taller version of the "Monoliths" in a "Space Odyssey 2001"!!!

I am gonna wait a year as George goes through another 3 pairs of speakers before I upgrade to be "like George". HA!!@@@ Its a lot of work to crate and sell stuff. Not ready yet. HAAA!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #8167 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
And to think - Steve just got new Aerials within the last year (I think)... I'm looking forward to the Dreadnaught D!

Dave
Feb 2014 and for now I am quite happy and they are stayin'! I have no doubt that the Blade 2's are phenomenal but even I have budgetary, time, physical and practical constraints.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #8168 of 8183 Old 04-22-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh some great news on Dread D - Here are the First pics and some Preliminary Specs -

Enjoy -
Craig are the specs top secret? Do we need secret decoder screens to see whats behind the black blob?
post #8169 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Feb 2014 and for now I am quite happy and they are stayin'! I have no doubt that the Blade 2's are phenomenal but even I have budgetary, time, physical and practical constraints.
Actually I have height constraints.

KEF Blade 2:

Dimensions - with plinth (H x W x D) 1461 x 338 x 475mm
57.5 x 13.3 x 18.7 in.

I have 12 foot ceiling in my theater room. Screen has been moved a foot higher than before, and is totally a bit above my five Aerial 7ts and two JL Audio Fathom f212 subwoofers (which are raised another 15" by ASC subtraps). The Aerial 7ts work well aesthetically, for my video,
and with my rather unique Michael Green Pressure Zone Controller room treatments, which have been adjusted (tuning bolt in front may be turned to adjust absorption vs reflection) so that my front left and right speakers can be close (2 feet) from the side walls yet have fantastic phantom center image; and the front and surround 7ts as a whole are equidistant in a rectangle with outstanding holographic imaging.
I have had Aerial 10T, then Aerial 9, and now Aerial 7t, and Michael Kelly's Aerials work fantastically in my room configuration/acoustic treatments for my purposes.

Now if I ever decide to do a dedicated music room, then who knows? But not now.

I'm sure the KEF Blade 2's are great and lotsa fun!! (And U should have heard Billy Cobham - second feature Al Di Meola) at Talking Stick Resort, Scottsdale last night. Cobham, 71, may still be the very best drummer of all time. Jazz and sonics were simply amazing. No home audio system no matter how great can duplicate the imaging, dynamics and reality of particularly Billy Cobham live!)

My home theater at:
post #8170 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I'm sure the KEF Blade 2's are great and lotsa fun!! (And U should have heard Billy Cobham - second feature Al Di Meola) at Talking Stick Resort, Scottsdale last night. Cobham, 71, may still be the very best drummer of all time. Jazz and sonics were simply amazing. No home audio system no matter how great can duplicate the imaging, dynamics and reality of particularly Billy Cobham live!)
I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with you on this. I have the Scheffield recording of Keltner's Improvisation that will make your jaw drop. I've played next to drummers all my life. The Blade 2 and Theta Prometheus will make you do a double take. The kit is in the room.
post #8171 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
We had an incredible day of listening with the Blade 2 and Prometheus. Johan Coorg from KEF International and Jason Caprarola from KEF USA were along for the ride, and what a ride it was! Between the two of them, they have over 40 years of experience at KEF. We are more and more impressed with the Blade 2 as we continue to put in serious listening time. When Craig says that it is mind blowing, it is unfathomable just how incredible this combination is. The idea of using symmetrically positioned bass drivers around a concentric mid/tweeter unit to create a single apparent source is implemented with perfection in the Blade 2. Real world bass response is, well, as the chaps at Rolls Royce used to say - "adequate." In reality, it is far more than adequate - deep, tight and tuneful. The integration of the four bass drivers per side with the UniQ is seamless. Let's not forget that the Prometheus is "sitting quietly in the background," controlling the speakers in a completely effortless manner. The Thetas produce stunningly convincing macro and microdynamics, detail and texture without ever losing the natural quality of the music. We are very much looking forward to comparing the Blade 2 to the Reference Series.

BTW, Steve Bruzonsky called in the middle of the session - the universe sends messages in mysterious ways. I see a pair (or quintet) of Blade 2s in Steve's future

Good one. They did quote power figure as "adequate," didn't they (referring to 400 plus hp engine - just to be cheeky)?

And your system is of course, one better: "extremely adequate" :-). Very nice report. How are you lucky enough to have such KEF heavy-weights come to your house? Any need for subwoofer?

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)
post #8172 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Good one. They did quote power figure as "adequate," didn't they (referring to 400 plus hp engine - just to be cheeky)?

And your system is of course, one better: "extremely adequate" :-). Very nice report. How are you lucky enough to have such KEF heavy-weights come to your house? Any need for subwoofer?
No need for a sub in the room, which is about 350 sq ft. I suspect they will work fine in rooms that are a bit larger as well. They go much deeper than we were expecting.
post #8173 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thet Kef´s are overrated in my opinion. Yes, you can be happy with your 7Ts
post #8174 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a friend who has the 7Ts. Nice speakers with amazing cabinetry.
post #8175 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
Thet Kef´s are overrated in my opinion. Yes, you can be happy with your 7Ts

I've owned the 7t as well as had the 6t and 9 in the room. The Blade 2 is not overrated in any sense of the word. Listening to the Aerial against the KEF will immediately reveal that there exists a recess in the vocal range on the Aerials. Male vocal performances will expose this in rapid fashion. There is only so much a builder can do by taking another company's drivers and building a cabinet and crossover around them, no matter how beautiful the cabinetry. If I put an Audi engine in a Ferrari, it is still stunning - but it's not a Ferrari. KEF has both engineering and acoustic teams that can develop the drivers within the company and implement them into their loudspeakers in a flawless fashion. There is an enormous amount of research an innovation within the brand. The 7t can't be compared to the Blade 2 in terms of dynamic range, imaging, soundstaging and tonality. I've had both speakers in the same room with Theta amplification. Others who have had Aerials (there have been a few who have already listened the speakers set up in the room) agree.

The Reference line is also using the same concept of the concentric tweeter/midrange with symmetrically arranged bass drivers, albeit it in a more conventional front firing configuration. Again, we're dealing with an engineering company, creating an entire product from start to finish. No stuffing boxes here, just good science and engineering validated by a large acoustic team. Many of the top engineers are also classical music aficionados. There is a "house sound" with KEF speakers, and part of the core philosophy of the company is the ability to produce human voice with startling realism. It is a merit to the engineers that there is nothing left to want from the rest of the audible spectrum. Listening to KEF speakers properly set up is an eye opening (ear opening?) experience.
post #8176 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Of course, the Blade 2s retail for nearly 3 X the price of the Aerial 7ts!!!

Heck, last year, prior to my hip replacement, I had a whole bunch of crowns done. My dentist made enough to almost by a pair of 7ts!!!@@@

I am sure the Blade 2s are wonderful speakers!!@@@ Yet the 7ts are also very wonderful speakers especially for the price!

ENJOY!

My home theater at:
post #8177 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The Reference line is also using the same concept of the concentric tweeter/midrange with symmetrically arranged bass drivers, albeit it in a more conventional front firing configuration. Again, we're dealing with an engineering company, creating an entire product from start to finish. No stuffing boxes here, just good science and engineering validated by a large acoustic team. Many of the top engineers are also classical music aficionados. There is a "house sound" with KEF speakers, and part of the core philosophy of the company is the ability to produce human voice with startling realism. It is a merit to the engineers that there is nothing left to want from the rest of the audible spectrum. Listening to KEF speakers properly set up is an eye opening (ear opening?) experience.
I agree that there is something to the point source / crossover-less concept. I've been a fan of the German Physiks speaker line for quite a while and I've never heard any speaker image the way the DDD drivers do. I've always thought that the lack of a crossover was the key to making the vocals sound correct/natural. I hope I can hear the KEF's soon.
post #8178 of 8183 Old 04-23-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 584
I tried 6Ts. I don't know; for the longest time, I thought it was break-in. I could never get them to sound cohesive...top to bottom. It's like saxguy said; things were too congested and "chesty" in the middle.

Solid bass...and nice cabinet work, for sure; but I heard George's Blade IIs. I'm not a guy given to hyperbole; but I've never heard, as live and dynamic a sound! As some have pointed out...the price difference doesn't make it a fair fight; and it wasn't. IMO, there is NO comparison between Blade IIs and 6/7Ts.

Not trashing Aerial; it's all good. Let's just not trash KEF

District Account Representative - Mid-Atlantic
Theater Max, LLC

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #8179 of 8183 Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 AM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Steve

You hit the nail on the head. The blades are much more expensive and of course should outperform anything at 10k all day which they do.. It's not just blade going on here , it's their new reference as well.. Their new reference series 1,3 and 5 are all hand built start to finish in house. 1 man is given all the parts to build one set of speakers and he does nothing but that. He then tests them against the reference unit and it must match the reference precisely. Serious engineering my friend.. Once I dove in and understood the uniQ driver technology and heard the LS50 the little 1500 reference bookshelf my world changed.. The uniQ is an engineering marvel and whats interesting although it looks similar thoughout the line, it's different in blade and reference for instance as well as Ls50.. The inner workings and motor are different but yet performs brilliantly in each design. The open sound and accuracy of concentric drivers is something I always enjoyed with my tannoys I had many years ago but this is a whole new level.

Now back to theta !!

What we can't forget about these listening sessions is that the Prometheus are driving the show.. What we don't understand is how in the world does this amp produces such unflawed volume with perfect clarity and a sound stage this big ? This design of Ncore1200 is so over the top that i really believe this amp is going to set trends. The fact it drives everything so well is what's turning out to be so impressive.. Imagine an amp that sounds great on every speaker ? Never possible but this seems to break the mold.

Im hearing from theta that the dreadnaught D is on par with Prometheus and keeping up very well. They tell me the sonics are wonderful and it sounds just like the Prometheus as far as the signature of the ncore theta linear design. Between Casablanca 4 , the new Prometheus Mono blocks and the coming soon multi channel Draadnaught D. I would say theta is having a pretty good year..

We are starting a very cool trade in for Ncore program starting may1st.. We are going to take trades on any working amplifier towards the purchase of a Theta ncore 1200 amplifier. Either the Prometheus or the new DreadnaughtD. Of course theta trades will bring the most credit but it's going to allow a lot of people to get into ncore quite easily.. I will be announcing more about that on the web site.

Thanks
Craig
post #8180 of 8183 Old 04-24-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Agreed that at this level of skill and experience in design, I expect both KEF and Aerial to be outstanding speakers. And yes also to the fact that price difference makes a difference - no surprise there. I do hope to run into KEF at the upcoming High End Show - all these discussions are piquing my interest.

It does not surprise me that KEF and Aerial have very different sound signatures. IMHO, *ALL* electro-mechanical transducers (speaker, mic, cartridges) are nothing but equalizers . How else do you classify audio components that sound so significantly different from each other? You just have to pick your poison and decide which equalizer fits your preference best. (It is for this reason that even though I am a die-hard, nutty, purist-type (uh oh :-)) audiophile, I am open to the practice of using equalizer, as long as it doesn't mess up the sound character badly elsewhere.) Come to think of it, even non electro-mechanical transducers such as preamps, amps, etc. all have their sound signatures, just maybe to a lesser degree. All equalizers :-).

Regarding the "chestiness" of Aerial: if I understand this correctly, I too hear a hint of that (makes male voice sound deeper, more like jazz announcers), but that's what makes me *LOVE* the Aerial sound :-). Aerial vs. Thiel for example: Aerial is warm, punchy, dynamic to the extreme in the low end; Thiel is bright, more layered, more focused, but lacking the punch. For movies I would pick the Aerial equalizer, for music probably the Thiel equalizer :-), and even this depends on which album is spinning on the turntable.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)

Last edited by cannga; 04-24-2015 at 09:53 AM.
post #8181 of 8183 Old 04-24-2015, 10:46 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Steve

You hit the nail on the head. The blades are much more expensive and of course should outperform anything at 10k all day which they do.. It's not just blade going on here , it's their new reference as well.. Their new reference series 1,3 and 5 are all hand built start to finish in house. 1 man is given all the parts to build one set of speakers and he does nothing but that. He then tests them against the reference unit and it must match the reference precisely. Serious engineering my friend.. Once I dove in and understood the uniQ driver technology and heard the LS50 the little 1500 reference bookshelf my world changed.. The uniQ is an engineering marvel and whats interesting although it looks similar thoughout the line, it's different in blade and reference for instance as well as Ls50.. The inner workings and motor are different but yet performs brilliantly in each design. The open sound and accuracy of concentric drivers is something I always enjoyed with my tannoys I had many years ago but this is a whole new level.

Now back to theta !!

What we can't forget about these listening sessions is that the Prometheus are driving the show.. What we don't understand is how in the world does this amp produces such unflawed volume with perfect clarity and a sound stage this big ? This design of Ncore1200 is so over the top that i really believe this amp is going to set trends. The fact it drives everything so well is what's turning out to be so impressive.. Imagine an amp that sounds great on every speaker ? Never possible but this seems to break the mold.

Im hearing from theta that the dreadnaught D is on par with Prometheus and keeping up very well. They tell me the sonics are wonderful and it sounds just like the Prometheus as far as the signature of the ncore theta linear design. Between Casablanca 4 , the new Prometheus Mono blocks and the coming soon multi channel Draadnaught D. I would say theta is having a pretty good year..

We are starting a very cool trade in for Ncore program starting may1st.. We are going to take trades on any working amplifier towards the purchase of a Theta ncore 1200 amplifier. Either the Prometheus or the new DreadnaughtD. Of course theta trades will bring the most credit but it's going to allow a lot of people to get into ncore quite easily.. I will be announcing more about that on the web site.

Thanks
Craig
Craig:

I sent you off an email regarding the above
post #8182 of 8183 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Tough to dislodge long held beliefs based upon marketing and bling vs. facts and data. It seems only yesterday that "audiophiles" viewed EQ and Class D amps as anathema in a "high end" setup.
And videophiles, digital projectors... Time changes things and technology marches on. I opposed the older room corrections systems because they were not effective. The Harmon Study and proved what I and others had said all along. The technological reasons like it wasn't the right curve or whatever, don't matter to me. They didn't work and that was enough. Audiophiles like myself largely rejected the analog to digital then back to analog conversions in some approaches. Further room correction systems like Dirac are not EQ in the traditional sense.

Bruno didn't like class D himself, that's why he improved it. So I guess you might have to lump him into the crowd that did not like class D.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Last edited by Bulldogger; Today at 10:21 AM. Reason: grammar
post #8183 of 8183 Old Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I must concur that the Blade 2 sounds spectacular. Here's a few more shots:

Thanks guys for taking the time to post pics! Nice set-up!

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page