The official "Theta" thread - Page 275 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes
post #8221 of 8233 Old 05-05-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I haven't taken the 2 Extreme DAC cards out of my CBIV (to sell) yet..
They will make a great deal for someone. I see on the new Jan. 2015 price list at Theta they list a 2 channel version of the new Xtreme D3 dac for $2995. Someone, especially someone doing 5.1, could buy a used Xtreme D2 dacs and then maximize their stereo with one of the new 2 channel D3 Xtreme cards. There is also a 4 channel card and of course the 6 channel card.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8233 Old 05-05-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post
Finally got around to working with iRule. Here's screenshot of my CBIV remote page. Looking for ways to improve if anyone has suggestions.
Hey it's looking good. I am just not good at graphic interfaces. There is still a lot to be done with variables. Most of the stuff with variable seems to be aimed at modifying the GUI. For example when you are using the stereo mode of the CBIV you could have the background change to show a stereo set-up and replace the home screen you have now. The ideas are countless. I'm just too limited in that area. All I want to do is have it look, "decent," and adjust the volume. I have a firm grip on feedback from using docklight scripting to actually capture the codes the CB puts out and a firm grip on the commands. I am enthused whenever I see better looking GUI. Keep up the good work!

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #8223 of 8233 Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
They will make a great deal for someone. I see on the new Jan. 2015 price list at Theta they list a 2 channel version of the new Xtreme D3 dac for $2995. Someone, especially someone doing 5.1, could buy a used Xtreme D2 dacs and then maximize their stereo with one of the new 2 channel D3 Xtreme cards. There is also a 4 channel card and of course the 6 channel card.
Where can I find a price list for Theta 2015??
post #8224 of 8233 Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel217 View Post
Where can I find a price list for Theta 2015??
Theta provides MSRP on their website. They can be found under their "downloads" tab.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #8225 of 8233 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

My dedicated theater/audio room is setup with my front left and right and surround left and right Aerial 7ts in a perfectly square formation equidistant from each 7t on the square (or one might say on the circle). This provides for outstanding holographic imaging. My many Micheal Green Pressure Zone Controllers are adjusted in a manner that permits the 7ts to be closer to the side walls (18' 3" room width, with outer edge of each 7t about 2' from side wall). I have always had Aerials in this room (first 10ts, then 9s, now 7ts) as the Aerials always seem to image well in my setup and are wonderful sounding dynamic speakers. I bet the KEF and Magico speakers sound awesome, though whether such speakers would image well enough as a five set combo in my "peculiar" setup is open to question.

My latest endeavor is adding a second Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DAC a week ago! For the center and subs. All I can say is - f---k---g unbelievable. You do not know what a totally seamless soundstage is up front in your home theater system until you have done this! My third Gen VIII Series 3 for my surrounds will be here Tuesday. I can't wait!!! (Yea, I got the one on Audiogon from a guy here local; and I scooped up the other one on Audiogon from Craig/VGI as well.)

Here is the BIG surprise of using a Gen VIII for subwoofer, vs using the CBIV's Extreme DAC prior: First, as this is low bass, you wouldn 't think that the Extreme vs Gen VIII DAC would make that much of a difference! At least I didn't. My purpose of a Gen VIII was primarily for the center channel! My bass, mid and low, was already fantastic using the Extreme DACs and my JL Audio f212 subwoofers! But now movies with routine soundtracks are blowing me away with deep, deep, low, low bass, both sonically and feelingwise/tactically, like I have never heard before (with one exception - at the Billy Cobham concert 11 days ago, the live bass was blowing me away and I almost had to tie myself to the leather booth seat to avoid the bass that I felt under my but and going up my spine forcing me to take off like the space shuttle). Now the bass is sort of like that at times where I normally would not expect it. Last night I watched the blu ray of "The Drop" and the bass just blew me away just like this!!!@@ (Keep in mind I am using the CB4's 80 Hz 24 dB crossover to the JL Audio f212 subwoofers.)

Again, can't wait to add my third Gen VIII for my surrounds on Tuesday when it arrives! I also have some Cardas Clear 1.5M AES/EBU digital cables coming (upgrading from my current, the now "old"model of Cardas Lightning AES/EBU).

ALso, I just got the early 80s "Spectrum" hi rez Billy Cobham album with some of the songs he played in concert the other night - the ones with bass up the you know what. Gotta play that shortly!!!

OK!!! My gift to myself for my youngest daughter graduating ASU with honors next week (my older daughter graduated ASU with honors several years ago) is two freshly used Theta Digital Generation VIII Series 3 DACs, some Cardas Clear digital AES/EBU cabling, and a CAPSv4 Pipeline stereo media server. As discussed above, I installed the 2nd Gen VIII for center/subs the other weekend and WOW! Well, I received the 3rd Gen VIII and Cardas digital cabling yesterday and of course I quickly installed them (still waiting on the CAPSv4).

With a multi-channel movie and music system set up with equidistant front and surround left and right full range speakers (even more in my current system, add the center same full range Aerial 7t as well), the "problem" is that when any of the main sonic dimensions (channels) are appreciably better sonicwise than another, your ear/brain tends to "collapse" the soundfield and concentrate to mainly hear the best sounding dimensions/channels. Overall the system sounds better say when you upgrade the front left and right, but the cost is losing some of the holographic imaging.

Through 2007, I had five Bryston 7B monoblocks, four Aerial Acoustics 10Ts, and an Aerial CC5 center. Holographic imaging was great!
In 2007, I replaced the Brystons with even better sounding Theta Digital Enterprise monoblocks. Holographic imaging even better with better sounding/imaging monoblocks. E.G. multi-channel hi resolution SACD and DVD-Audio, from my then Theta Compli analog 5.1 channel out into the Theta Six Shooter, controlled by my then Theta Casablanca 3, sounded wonderful!

Oh but I got upgraditis. In early 2011, I upgraded not only to Theta Casablanca 3HD, but also Theta Citadel 1.5 monoblocks AND Theta Generation VIII DAC for front left and right. Yes, my overall sonics were significantly improved. But what about my holographic imaging?
Although I have luved and marveled at the sonics the past few years, in the back of my head, I "knew" that my sonics were forward leaning with multi-channel hi rez music in particular.

Well, I am "crippled" no longer. First, nine months ago a right hip replacement - doing great now! And second, NOW, sonically, adding two more Gen VIIIs to the mix, so I now have three Gen VIIIs, for front left/right; center/sub; surround left/right!!!!

Yesterday I listened for several hours to multi-channel music from my media server, and then several hours of tv shows in plain ol Dolby Digital. WOW! Not only is the holographic imaging the best best ever along with the best best ever sonics - but my music's "blending meter" is now at 100%! My sense is that adding the Gen VIII for the surround left/right not only gives me 100% holographic imaging, but its so amazing how the channels blend together into one seamless all surrounding/blending sonic presentation. Voices and music are the clearest such that multiple sounds and voices at the same time can be distinguished at lower volume level yet be appreciably clearer - and for HDMI multi-channel hi rez music from my media server, its like I'm in another world. I listened to cuts here and there, and the entire Moody Blues
"Seventh Sojourn" DSD album (ripped from SACD ISO, ripped from physical SACD) first in multi-channel, then some in stereo. I also listened to some of Shelby Lynn's DSD album via HDMI (CBIV expanding 2 to multi-channel) and also straight 2 channel (not using HDMI, but using USB into Berkeley USB to digital converter). With the Moody Blues multi-channel, I felt like I was transported to another world in another dimension, my multi-channel via HDMI has never sounded like this before! Technically, the USB stereo converted to multi-channel version sounded better in terms of clarity, but it was more upfront - whereas the HDMI multi-channel - even though perhaps not as focused and "clear" as the HDMI - simply I found to be easily preferable because again, I felt transported to another world/dimension of sound, my own lovely sonic "Twilight Zone"! With Shelby Lynne, although HDMI sounded very nice, whether 2 channel or expanded to multi-channel, the USB stereo or expanded to multi-channel version was easily superior. And I listened to lotsa other music, too. Bottom line - in my current system:
If the original recording is stereo; listen via USB whether original 2 channel or expanded to multi-channel; If the original recording is multi-channel done well, I'll listen via HDMI in multi-channel and be very, very happy! As for TV shows last night - NCIS, The Flash, etc -I noticed the same holographic imaging and blending that I noted on my music listening, of course the sonics were overall a lower but still enjoyable quality in Dolby Digital!

So my upgrade is a resounding success!

What does this tell me about Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D, etc? Cool. But my 5.1 (split with 2 JL Audio subs) system to me sounds much better than a system with many more speakers and appreciably less sonic quality. If I add more channels/speakers to comply with Dolby Atmos, etc, heck, even I can't afford to add more Gen VIII DACs. And my experience tells me I will hardly hear the new channels/speakers because their sonic quality isn't up to par with my Gen VIII DACs. So I think enough is enough - unless someone wants to give me a bunch more of Gen VIII DACs for free, then I'd consider.

I got a great deal on the two used Gen VIII Series 3 DACs - as to what I paid, I am sworn to secrecy. But after this review, I betcha when a Gen VIII comes on sale, its used price will go up some. Because Gen VIII's are wonderful!!@@@

Dave/Thezaks, give me a call. You wanna come over after work on Friday? Next week I'll be swamped with my younger daughter's college graduation.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #8226 of 8233 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a photo of my readjusted component racks, the rack on the left with the three Gen VIIIs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Gen VIIIs All Decked Out in a Row!.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	702874  

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #8227 of 8233 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Bodes well for the 6 channel Xtreme-3 i.e. the upgrade benefits more than the two main channels

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #8228 of 8233 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Theta provides MSRP on their website. They can be found under their "downloads" tab.
Only if you are in the US. If their website detects a foreign ISP it's blocked.

Is the MSRP on the 6 channel version still as announced initially?

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #8229 of 8233 Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post
Only if you are in the US. If their website detects a foreign ISP it's blocked.

Is the MSRP on the 6 channel version still as announced initially?

From Theta Digital website:

THETA DIGITAL
MSRP Book
January 1, 2015

CASABLANCA MUSIC & CINEMA CONTROLLERS
MANUFACTURER’S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE LIST
January 1, 2015
Preamplifier/Processor MSRP
Casablanca III HD base model: 4 x 1 HDMI 1.4, Lossless $ 13,745.00
Audio, and more
Silver 117V PN: 7704; Silver 230V PN: 7896 Black 117V PN: 7894; Black 230V PN: 7898
As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate $ 13,995.00
Silver 117V PN: 7893; Silver 230V PN: 7897 Black 117V PN: 7895; Black 230V PN: 7899
Casablanca IV base model: 4 x 1 4k HDMI 1.4; Lossless Audio; $ 16,245.00
192 kHz; Dirac Live®; Jitter JailTM II
Silver 117V PN: 8102; Silver 230V PN: 8106 Black 117V PN: 8100; Black 230V PN: 8104
As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate $ 16,495.00
Silver 117V PN: 8103; Silver 230V PN: 8107 Black 117V PN: 8101; Black 230V PN: 8105
Casablanca IVa base model: Adds Dolby Atmos decoding to $ 17,995.00
Casablanca IV, upgradeable to Auro-3D and DTS:X Silver 117V PN: xxxx; Silver 230V PN: xxxx Black 117V PN: xxxx; Black 230V PN: xxxx
As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate $ 18,245.00
Silver 117V PN: xxxx; Silver 230V PN: xxxx Black 117V PN: xxxx; Black 230V PN: xxxx
Casablanca V base model: Adds 8 x 2 HDMI 2.0, 32-channel $ 21,995.00
motherboard, Auro-3D, DTS:X
Silver 117V PN: xxxx; Silver 230V PN: xxxx Black 117V PN: xxxx; Black 230V PN: xxxx
As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate $ 22,245.00
Output Card
Digital Output Card: 12-channel AES-EBU PN: 7808 $ 1,995.00
Xtreme D-2*: four channel balanced D/A PN: 7248 $ 4,995.00
Superior II: three channel balanced/unbalanced D/A PN: 7247 $ 3,125.00
Premium*: four channel balanced D/A PN: 7246 $ 1,875.00
Xtreme D-3 6-Channel balanced D/A $ 4,995.00
Xtreme D-3 4-Channel balanced D/A $ 3,995.00
Xtreme D-3 2-Channel balanced D/A $ 2,995.00
Other options
4k compatible 4 x 1 HDMI 1.4a Input/Output card PN: 8138 $ 600.00
4k compatible 8 x 2 HDMI 2.0 Input/Output card $ 1,200.00
Six Shooter, Robot Analog Preamplifier 117V PN: 6322; 230V PN: 6323 $ 2,500.00 Rack Mount face plate (ordered later) Silver PN: 7712; Black PN: 7711 $ 500.00
Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Copyright 2015 Theta Digital.
Theta Digital
1749 Chapin Road, Montebello, CA 90640, USA
T: +1 (323) 278-0001 F: +1 (323) 278-0083 www.thetadigital.com Email: info.thetadigital@gmail.com A division of Amplifier Technologies Incorporated

CASABLANCA UPGRADES
January 1, 2015
Preamplifier/Processor Upgrades MSRP
Casablanca III to Casablanca III HD $ 4,995.00
Adds new power supply, new operating system, HDMI 1.4 card,
lossless Audio DSP card, new metal tower to CB III
Silver 117V PN: 7734; Silver 230V PN: 7903
Black 117V PN: 7732; Black 230V PN: 7905
As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate
Silver 117V PN: 7731; Silver 230V PN: 7904
Black 117V PN: 7733; Black 230V PN: 7906
Casablanca III HD to Casablanca IV
Adds 192kHz; Dirac Live®; Measurement Kit; Jitter JailTM II, etc. $ 4,995.00
Silver 117V PN: xxxx; Silver 230V PN: xxxx
Black 117V PN: xxxx; Black 230V PN: xxxx
Casablanca III HD to Casablanca IVa
Add Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D,upgradeable to DTS:X $ 6,995.00
Casablanca IV to Casablanca IVa
Add Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D,upgradeable to DTS:X $ 2,995.00
Casablanca III to Casablanca IV
New power supply, HDMI 1.4, 192 kHz, lossless audio, Jitter JailTM II, $ 9,995.00
Dirac Live®, Measurement Kit, more.
Casablanca III with CB I chassis to CB III HD $ 6,195.00
As above with new chassis
Silver 117V PN: 8001; Silver 230V PN: 8005 Black 117V PN: 8002; Black 230V PN: 8006 As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate
Silver 117V PN: 8003; Silver 230V PN: 8007 Black 117V PN: 8004; Black 230V PN: 8008
All upgrades must be performed at the factory.
Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Copyright 2013-2015 Theta Digital.
Theta Digital
T: +1 (323) 278-0001 F: +1 (323) 278-0083 www.thetadigital.com Email: info.thetadigital@gmail.com A division of Amplifier Technologies Incorporated

CASABLANCA UPGRADES
January 1, 2015
Preamplifier/Processor Upgrades MSRP
Casablanca III with CB I chassis to Casablanca IV $ 10,195.00
As above with new chassis
Casablanca II to Casablanca III HD $ 6,995.00
Silver 117V PN: 8008; Silver 230V PN: 8012 Black 117V PN: 8009; Black 230V PN: 8013 As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate
Silver 117V PN: 8010; Silver 230V PN: 8014 Black 117V PN: 8111; Black 230V PN: 8015
Casablanca II to Casablanca IV $ 10,995.00
Silver 117V PN: xxxx; Silver 230V PN: xxxx Black 117V PN: xxxx; Black 230V PN: xxxx As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate
Casablanca Ito Casablanca III HD including new chassis $ 8,495.00
Silver 117V PN: 7900; Silver 230V PN: 7913 Black 117V PN: 7902; Black 230V PN: 7914 As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate
Silver 117V PN: 7911; Silver 230V PN: 7915 Black 117V PN: 7912; Black 230V PN: 7916
Casablanca Ito Casablanca IV including new chassis $ 12,490.00
Silver 117V PN: xxxx; Silver 230V PN: xxxx Black 117V PN: xxxx; Black 230V PN: xxxx As above with Rack-Mount Face Plate
All upgrades must be performed at the factory.
Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Copyright 2013 Theta Digital.
Theta Digital

GENERATION VIII SERIES 3
January 1, 2015
D to A Converter MSRP
Generation VIII Series 3 $13,995.00
Upgrade from Series 1 to Series 3 (upgrade
includes 192/176.4 kHz input board) $ 2,375.00
Upgrade from Series 2 to Series 3 (adds 192/176.4 kHz $ 500.00
input capability to Series 2)
Upgrade from all previous $11,125.00
“Generation” Series
Available in Black or Silver
Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Copyright 2013-2015 Theta Digital
Theta Digital

COMPLI BLU 3D
MANUFACTURER’S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE LIST January 1, 2015
Digital A/V Transport MSRP
Compli Blu 3D $3,995.00
3D-Blu-ray Universal Transport with lossless audio, Blu-ray 3D, SACD, DVD-A, Dual-HDMI 1.4a outputs, component and composite video outputs, digital audio outputs, Internet streaming, eSATA Port, USB Port, and HDMI CEC.
Rack-mount or standard faceplates. Available in Black or Silver

Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Copyright 2012-2015 Theta Digital
Theta Digital

CITADEL 1.5
Amplifier MSRP
Pair $25,000.00
Silver 117V PN: Silver 230V PN:
Black 117V PN: Black 230V PN:
Each (Please specify right or left) $12,500.00
Silver 117V Left PN: Silver 117V Right PN:
Silver 230V Left PN: Silver 230V Right PN:
Black 117V Left PN: Black 117V Right PN:
Black 230V Left PN: Black 230V Right PN:
Second Binding Post, per amplifier PN: $ 360.00
(for passive biamplification)

Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Copyright 2012-2015 Theta Digital
Theta Digital
T: +1 (323) 278-0001 F: +1 (323) 278-0083 www.thetadigital.com Email: info.thetadigital@gmail.com
A division of Amplifier Technologies Incorporated

CITADEL TO CITADEL 1.5 UPGRADE
Amplifier Upgrade MSRP
Base Upgrade for Citadel with Serial $ 2,900.00
Numbers between 25584 and 28102, per amplifier
Base Upgrade for Citadel with Serial $ 3,000.00
Numbers below 25585, per amplifier
Citadel Serial Numbers 28103 or above are already version 1.5 and do not need this upgrade.

Theta Digital
T: +1 (323) 278-0001 F: +1 (323) 278-0083 www.thetadigital.com Email: info.thetadigital@gmail.com
A division of Amplifier Technologies Incorporated

PROMETHEUS
January 1, 2015
Amplifier MSRP
Pair, each with dual Cardas Binding Posts $12,000.00
Each, with dual Cardas Binding Posts for $ 6,000.00
passive bi-wiring. Please specify left or right.
Specifictions
250 Watts RMS, 20 Hz-20 kHz with less than 0.01% THD+N, 8 ohms 500 Watts RMS, 20 Hz-20 kHz with less than 0.01% THD+N, 4 ohms 850 Watts RMS, 20 Hz-20 kHz with less than 0.01% THD+N, 2 ohms SN/Ratio: 128 dB ref. rated output, "A" weighted.
Frequency Response: +0, -.5 dB, 0 Hz to 20 kHz at any impedance Damping Factor: Greater than 2500, 0 Hz to 20 kHz
Efficiency: 93%
Dimensions: 8 13/16” W x 13 1/2” H x 18 1/2” D (224 x 343 x 470 mm)
Available in Black or Silver
Theta Digital

DREADNAUGHT D
January 1, 2015
Amplifier & Assemblies MSRP
Chassis (Includes Panel-grade Alloy Cover, Dual Toroidal
Transformers, 4 Amplifier slots) $ 4,249.95
Silver 117V PN: Silver 230V PN:
Black 117V PN: Black 230V PN:
Stereo ATI N-Core module (225W RMS @ 8 , 350W RMS
@ 4 ohms, <0.1% THD, 20-20 kHz) PN: $ 1,600.00
Mono ATI N-Core Module (225W RMS @ 8 , 350W RMS
@ 4 ohms, <0.1% THD, 20-20 kHz) PN: $ 950.00
Bridged ATI N-Core Mono Module (400W RMS @ 8 , 600W RMS
@ 4 ohms, <0.1% THD, 20-20 kHz) PN: $ 1,600.00
Up to 4 modules may be added in any combination Popular Configurations:
400W x 3 plus 225W x 2 (8 ) $ 10,649.95
400W x 4 (8 ) $ 10,649.95
225W x 8 (8 ) $ 10,649.95
225W x 7 (8 ) $ 9,999.95
225W x 6 (8 ) $ 9,049.95
225W x 5 (8 ) $ 8,399.95
225W x 4 (8 ) $ 7,449.95
400W x 2 (8 ) $ 7,449.95
225W x 3 (8 ) $ 6,799.95
Rackmount Faceplate $ 625.00
Silver PN: Black PN:
Panel Grade Alloy Cover $ 360.00 $
Silver PN: Black PN:

Note: If purchased initially with fewer than 4 modules, additional modules can be added in the field by a Theta-authorized technician.
Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Copyright 2011-2015 Theta Digital
Theta Digital
T: +1 (323) 278-0001 F: +1 (323) 278-0083 www.thetadigital.com Email: sales@ati-amp.com A division of Amplifier Technologies Incorporated

My home theater at:
post #8230 of 8233 Unread Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
From Theta Digital website:

Casablanca III HD base model: 4 x 1 HDMI 1.4, Lossless $ 13,745.00

Casablanca IVa base model: Adds Dolby Atmos decoding to $ 17,995.00

Traditionally for Theta, does this imply the upgrade from III HD to IVa would be about same as the difference in prices of respective new units?

Meaning, upgrade from III HD to IVa with Atmos should be around $4250 +/- $1000?

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)

Last edited by cannga; Yesterday at 08:02 PM.
post #8231 of 8233 Unread Yesterday, 08:21 PM
VGI
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The Dreadnaught D is getting close !!!

Guys - Units are being built and things are progressing nicely.

They are waiting for the Front Panels from the Metal Fabricator and they hope to possible have them in the next week or two which means if everything goes well they could ship them by months end..

You guys know that things can go wrong but we are excited to get these in your hands so sit tight and very soon they will start to ship.

Thx
Craig

Craig Shumer
Theatermax.com
20 years of high end audio/video
Theta Digital, Datasat, Devialet, Kef Ref
732-616-1010
post #8232 of 8233 Unread Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I will finally break my silence...

This thread has been interesting recently, nonetheless. After years of monitoring this forum with my targets set on high fidelity stereo, multichannel music, and home theatre in one package, I determined Theta was the road to that audio nirvana.

I'm now the owner of a complete Theta home theatre preamp package: Theta Casablanca IV and four Generation VIIIs3 DACs.

Many of you regulars know I've been lurking in this forum for years. Theta equipment wasn't new to me; I've owned two 5x200 Dreadnaughts since 2006, loved the sound, and desperately wanted to mate it with a HT preamp that would complement them. I've been long thinking about a Casablanca III but was put off by the high price of a processor with no upgrades/HDMI and the uncertain future of the company didn't help. In the meantime, this forum pointed me in a direction to try other products (e.g. the Integra 9.8 as an interim processor) and my first venture into monoblocks, a pair of Theta Enterprises. Influenced by Steve's all-Enterprise monoblock system (at the time), I felt that with the pair I had, the performance improvement was large enough to move beyond the Dreadnaughts and I'd willingly catch the upgraditis bug. Not long after, 7 Enterprises graced my system and both Dreadnaughts found caring homes. Thanks to Steve's experiences, I joined the same listening pleasure!

Even though home theatre sounded great, my love for music equaled if not surpassed it... Since 2006 I've been using the unity gain setting on the fantastic Ayre K-1xe stereo preamp by twisting the volume knob, but that solution wasn't family friendly. Knowing about the Theta Gen8 and all of the good things said in this forum, the prospect of mating a high-end two channel preamp/DAC with a surround processor like many users here was too good to pass by. So in September 2013, I sold my Ayre to try the Theta Gen8s3. What did I have to lose? Once the Theta shipped, I compared the two and they were close...very close...using my Ayre D-1xe CD player as a source. So the Ayre permanently rejoined a Dreadnaught at my friend's home and the Generation VIII stayed in my system as my new stereo DAC/pre.

WOW. What an amazing piece the Gen8s3 is. It sounded so good, I hallucinated with thoughts of using four of these units to cover all of my home theatre channels. In 2014 the opportunity came to purchase three more units at a fair price (although somewhat higher then what they most recently sold for on A-gon, something none of us saw coming - and I'm sure it'll be the only time). While most people on this forum echoed that using multiple Gen8s would have been overkill, I saw it differently and wanted to be the first to test it out here and report my findings. What was the worst case scenario? I felt safe buying the Gen8s back then since the Casablanca 3HD was still a mix of new and old technology and CB4 was recently fulfilling orders - I waited out the processor...somewhat. Last year I got my hands on a local CB2 with an Xtreme DAC in it, so I took the opportunity to get familiar with the technology and architecture despite it being only lossy audio. It completely mopped the floor with the Integra I had so I gave it the boot ASAP.

Upgraditis kicked in again recently...I felt that now was the time to tie my package of 7 Enterprises and four Gen8s3s together with the main mother head unit, the Casablanca 4. At this point I can only speculate what it sounds like, but based on my CB2 experience and CB4 users here, I won't be disappointed. Having the Gen8s ready to go makes it also even more exciting. Upgraditis has gone away. I'm not entertaining amplifiers changes...at least not in the near future

After committing to all of my Gen8s, I found it INSANE that several people dumped their Gen8s because of the announcement of the new 6-channel Xtreme DAC that is supposed to "bring some of the magic of the Generation VIII into the new Xtreme card". But 6 channels on a card is not a Generation VIII. I think people got scared by the announcement, put them up for sale online thinking that the new card would equal the separate box, and lowered their prices to record lows when no one bit. If I only had an extra $8000 lying around over the last few weeks...

For my Casablanca 4 I dealt with Craig at Theatermax. I'll echo the many statements listed in this forum. He's a pleasure to deal with through and though. I bought four of my Enterprises from him a few years back and knew I'd stick with him on my CB4 purchase. He's kind and accommodating and listens to concerns. He's patient and helpful to your needs. If you haven't dealt with him and you are a lurker of the forum debating on whether to give Theta a chance, I recommend giving him a call even if it's to ask a few questions. It took me a few years to get it all together and he was patient with me, but patience brings joy!

My CB4 should be shipped shortly. I can't wait to integrate the whole system together. I'll post my impressions once the system is connected. For those of you thinking of adding more Gen8s, act quickly because like stock prices, Gen8s are on the rise again!!

Last edited by Michael Osadciw; Yesterday at 08:55 PM.
post #8233 of 8233 Unread Today, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
I will finally break my silence...

This thread has been interesting recently, nonetheless. After years of monitoring this forum with my targets set on high fidelity stereo, multichannel music, and home theatre in one package, I determined Theta was the road to that audio nirvana.

I'm now the owner of a complete Theta home theatre preamp package: Theta Casablanca IV and four Generation VIIIs3 DACs.

Many of you regulars know I've been lurking in this forum for years. Theta equipment wasn't new to me; I've owned two 5x200 Dreadnaughts since 2006, loved the sound, and desperately wanted to mate it with a HT preamp that would complement them. I've been long thinking about a Casablanca III but was put off by the high price of a processor with no upgrades/HDMI and the uncertain future of the company didn't help. In the meantime, this forum pointed me in a direction to try other products (e.g. the Integra 9.8 as an interim processor) and my first venture into monoblocks, a pair of Theta Enterprises. Influenced by Steve's all-Enterprise monoblock system (at the time), I felt that with the pair I had, the performance improvement was large enough to move beyond the Dreadnaughts and I'd willingly catch the upgraditis bug. Not long after, 7 Enterprises graced my system and both Dreadnaughts found caring homes. Thanks to Steve's experiences, I joined the same listening pleasure!

Even though home theatre sounded great, my love for music equaled if not surpassed it... Since 2006 I've been using the unity gain setting on the fantastic Ayre K-1xe stereo preamp by twisting the volume knob, but that solution wasn't family friendly. Knowing about the Theta Gen8 and all of the good things said in this forum, the prospect of mating a high-end two channel preamp/DAC with a surround processor like many users here was too good to pass by. So in September 2013, I sold my Ayre to try the Theta Gen8s3. What did I have to lose? Once the Theta shipped, I compared the two and they were close...very close...using my Ayre D-1xe CD player as a source. So the Ayre permanently rejoined a Dreadnaught at my friend's home and the Generation VIII stayed in my system as my new stereo DAC/pre.

WOW. What an amazing piece the Gen8s3 is. It sounded so good, I hallucinated with thoughts of using four of these units to cover all of my home theatre channels. In 2014 the opportunity came to purchase three more units at a fair price (although somewhat higher then what they most recently sold for on A-gon, something none of us saw coming - and I'm sure it'll be the only time). While most people on this forum echoed that using multiple Gen8s would have been overkill, I saw it differently and wanted to be the first to test it out here and report my findings. What was the worst case scenario? I felt safe buying the Gen8s back then since the Casablanca 3HD was still a mix of new and old technology and CB4 was recently fulfilling orders - I waited out the processor...somewhat. Last year I got my hands on a local CB2 with an Xtreme DAC in it, so I took the opportunity to get familiar with the technology and architecture despite it being only lossy audio. It completely mopped the floor with the Integra I had so I gave it the boot ASAP.

Upgraditis kicked in again recently...I felt that now was the time to tie my package of 7 Enterprises and four Gen8s3s together with the main mother head unit, the Casablanca 4. At this point I can only speculate what it sounds like, but based on my CB2 experience and CB4 users here, I won't be disappointed. Having the Gen8s ready to go makes it also even more exciting. Upgraditis has gone away. I'm not entertaining amplifiers changes...at least not in the near future

After committing to all of my Gen8s, I found it INSANE that several people dumped their Gen8s because of the announcement of the new 6-channel Xtreme DAC that is supposed to "bring some of the magic of the Generation VIII into the new Xtreme card". But 6 channels on a card is not a Generation VIII. I think people got scared by the announcement, put them up for sale online thinking that the new card would equal the separate box, and lowered their prices to record lows when no one bit. If I only had an extra $8000 lying around over the last few weeks...

For my Casablanca 4 I dealt with Craig at Theatermax. I'll echo the many statements listed in this forum. He's a pleasure to deal with through and though. I bought four of my Enterprises from him a few years back and knew I'd stick with him on my CB4 purchase. He's kind and accommodating and listens to concerns. He's patient and helpful to your needs. If you haven't dealt with him and you are a lurker of the forum debating on whether to give Theta a chance, I recommend giving him a call even if it's to ask a few questions. It took me a few years to get it all together and he was patient with me, but patience brings joy!

My CB4 should be shipped shortly. I can't wait to integrate the whole system together. I'll post my impressions once the system is connected. For those of you thinking of adding more Gen8s, act quickly because like stock prices, Gen8s are on the rise again!!
Michael,

Congrats. You will luv the Gen VIIIs. Though I must say, the sonic improvement over the Extreme DACs in the CBIv are marginalized using the
Enterprise monoblocks - you next upgrade will be to Prometheus and/or Dreadnaught D amps. Oh well. Upgradeitis never ends!

But you will have one more Gen VIII than me!! I "only" have 3.

Yea, I think after my sterling report here this week on my 2nd and 3rd Gen VIIIs, the market for used Gen VIIIs will cwrtainly go up some in price.

Tell us about your room dimensions, speakers, subwoofers, etc!!!

The CBIV is a real sonic improvement over the CBIIIHD. With the CBIIIHD, I found myself listening to music only via the Gen VIII in stereo with no Gen VIII crossover to subwoofers available. The CBIIIHD had a "buggie" such that using digital coax or AES/EBU into the CBIIIHD, the mid and low bass were just "off" sonically. I didn't have thie dilemma using the CBIIIHD HDMI input - but I simply found the Gen VIII alone to sound most musical. But not with the CBIV, I run everything thru the CBIV, even though stuff higher rez than 96-24 gets "downsampled" to 96-24 for CBIV processing, I like using the CBIVs bass management, let alone DIRAC. So I use now my three Gen VIIIs only being linked and controlled by the CBIV.

My home theater at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page