The official "Theta" thread - Page 276 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #8251 of 8272 Old 05-12-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
Is the Dreadnaught D a fully balanced dual differential amp?
Ron:

It is not a fully balanced differential amp. It is class D using the N-Core NC-1200 modules we use in Prometheus. With even a small amount of good luck, we will be shipping the initial orders next week.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 8272 Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Great deal. I cant wait.
post #8253 of 8272 Old 05-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm ready for the "D" as well!

Dave
post #8254 of 8272 Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

The Dreadnaught D link is on the Theta website, but it's a broken link. I'm sure it will be fixed soon...

Dave
post #8255 of 8272 Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Wow. That is a lot of vinyl.

Most aren't vinyl - shellac. Except for a group of 78rpm vinyl microgroove discs, 99% of my collection is the hard and easily breakable discs when placed with too much weight on it. I don't think I've got much pre-1900, but I've got a large collection from 1900-1935 of early pop, blues and jazz, country, etc. The rest is the more mainstream pop from 1940s onwards until most 78s ended in the late 1950s. Many known artists and many unknown. It's been fun collecting and spinning them. This year I've got to catalogue it and deep clean them. Because of the quantity and my lack of time, they haven't been given the dignity they deserve. It's on my to-do list. It's my own little collection of preserving music history. Most of these would be destined for the garbage bin, which is a shame. The young generation now would never attempt to download Walter Van Brunt's 1910 recording of the then-popular song Any Little Girl, That's a Nice Little Girl, Is the Right Little Girl For Me, written by Fred Fisher. The music may be in the archives in the library where they've got several hundred thousand 78s sitting somewhere, but I feel my music collection is enriched with this early, innocent music, that I'd never be able to get anywhere ever other than the old folk who are dumping their 78s. It also looks like 78s is a great archival format. I doubt CD players will be around in 20 years making all CDs coasters for antique shops. I think people will still be spinning records 20 years from now.

What a contrast my playback system is - leading digital components driving music from discs over 110 years old. Crazy!

Last edited by Michael Osadciw; 05-12-2015 at 06:17 PM.
post #8256 of 8272 Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The Dreadnaught D link is fixed.
post #8257 of 8272 Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep, the link works, but the gallery is having issues. When clicking on one of the pictures, a window opens, but it just hangs there for me.

Dave
post #8258 of 8272 Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep me too. I want to see those internal photos along with the modules
post #8259 of 8272 Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually it's only "nearly" fixed. Specs, operator's manual and rear-panel renderings are good. Most of the front-page copy is yet to be written and the slide-show is not working. If you need pix, drop me a line: jeff at ati-amp dot com

Jeff
post #8260 of 8272 Old 05-16-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
Hey ok, so with this equipment upgrade and my recent hobby of collecting 78rpm records (I've got some 15 000 of them)...
That's a lot of records - put my humble collection to shame.
Sounds like A LOT OF FUN though.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)
post #8261 of 8272 Old 05-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hey cannga

1) From an older post, yes, it was I who inspired your "Casablanca Kisses". I may need to make my own now!

2) My vinyl 33.3/45rpm collection is small. No more than 100 good ones, bought new. Maybe 100 old ones passed down to me on top of that. The 78rpm shellac disc is a recent interest revived. A few years back I started collecting a few on the local used online ads because I was interested in hearing how they sounded. There was something very nostalgic about it, more so than the 33s. I didn't know much about it, so I probably paid too much for many of my initial ones. After a few runs to different houses, I stopped after I got my fill. Fast forward a few years and it wasn't until recently until I became acquainted with an older gentleman, a used record seller, who comes across 78s all of the time. When he gets them, he calls me.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have no interest in reselling these and I don't care about what people are trying to put as value on them. To me it's completely unimportant. I find it hilarious that people are eBaying each disc for $10. Whatever! Those are the people that sit on their junk forever and never get rid of it because they are asking too high. Who are they trying to sell to anyways? Sellers who won't pay that price? The one collecting person who may be looking for that disc as an art project? That market is super small. My frame of mind is to build a library of them for historical listening purposes only. Not relevant to most people, but relevant to me as I browse my music collection. I can pull a song from the new catalogue or go deep into the archives... Most importantly, I really enjoy the music from those eras and I'm not happy with most that's out today. It seems that I'm interested in amassing content from 1880s-1940s or so, and then anything else is after that is just my preference. I only have so much room I'm not even starting on 33rpm vinyl. If I want a song from that era, I can get a high rez download or off the CD for cleaner playback, providing its dynamics aren't squished beyond enjoyment. I will never have that option with the older stuff which is why I've just gone right to the shellac discs that people are dumping on a daily basis.

Last edited by Michael Osadciw; 05-18-2015 at 09:03 AM.
post #8262 of 8272 Old 05-18-2015, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Ron:

It is not a fully balanced differential amp. It is class D using the N-Core NC-1200 modules we use in Prometheus. With even a small amount of good luck, we will be shipping the initial orders next week.

Jeff
How many channels share a signal power supply?

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #8263 of 8272 Old 05-18-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Two transformers. Each has 4 independent secondary windings and outputs.

Jeff
post #8264 of 8272 Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok so 8 independent power rails for the main unregulated supplies? Do the signal stage and driver voltages share a supply? If they are all independent, that's quite feat squeezing all that in the box.

Demand greater honesty and transparency in high-end audio

With Theta, Egglestonworks and Krell since 1998!
post #8265 of 8272 Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any news on the new Xtreme DACs?
post #8266 of 8272 Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post
Any news on the new Xtreme DACs?
I'm curious about this as well. Hopefully, Jeff or Craig will respond, although, I left a voice mail for Craig last week and have not heard back from him. Vacation maybe, or just super busy I can imagine?

Dave
post #8267 of 8272 Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I'm curious about this as well. Hopefully, Jeff or Craig will respond, although, I left a voice mail for Craig last week and have not heard back from him. Vacation maybe, or just super busy I can imagine?

Dave
Doesn't appear to be happening until at least 4th quarter, or even later.
post #8268 of 8272 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If I've learned anything in life, the value of something is only what someone is willing to pay for it

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #8269 of 8272 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Xtreme D3 DAC's will be used in the Theta Digital room at the Newport Audio show beginning next week. We're in room 1310 driving Wilson Audio Sabrina's with a CB IV and a pair of Prometheus amps. We will also have a Dread D on-hand but do not currently expect to be using it for sound.

Jeff
post #8270 of 8272 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Xtreme D3 DAC's will be used in the Theta Digital room at the Newport Audio show beginning next week. We're in room 1310 driving Wilson Audio Sabrina's with a CB IV and a pair of Prometheus amps. We will also have a Dread D on-hand but do not currently expect to be using it for sound.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Sounds good, but when will those D3 DAC's be available for sale?

Dave
post #8271 of 8272 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

Dave
Leave Craig alone. He's in Florida on vacation!!!

As for the new Casablanca DACs, patience, patience. When I talked with several folks at Theta a few weeks ago, they could give no date yet, apparently still being worked on and/or supplier issue? As with the Dreadnaught D, when they get very very close, either Jeff or Craig/VGI will tell us, that's for sure!

I wonder what one does in Florida on vacation, other than Disneyworld or Universal Studios, or visiting Sim2 to see their projectors? See below for Florida activities:

http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/t....php?album=424
thezaks likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #8272 of 8272 Old Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Leave Craig alone. He's in Florida on vacation!!!

I wonder what one does in Florida on vacation, other than Disneyworld or Universal Studios, or visiting Sim2 to see their projectors? See below for Florida activities:

http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/t....php?album=424
Well we also have Swamp boats, Gator Land, Lego Land, Water Parks, Fishing, Scuba Diving/Snorkeling, Kennedy Space center to watch rocket launches, The Keys- for relaxing, South Beach/Orlando for partying, and Skin Cancer Beaches, race tracks, and boat shows. Even have Infocomm in Orlando.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)