The official "Theta" thread - Page 277 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #8281 of 8286 Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
?..All I do really care about is the resulting sound.
Same here.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 8286 Old Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
...... All I do really care about is the resulting sound. My Krell Chorus amp was the only amp I had that was truly balanced from input to output. So I have no predestination for such a design. ......
Great way of looking at it. Like anything else in technology, you can have a very good unbalanced design and a crappy balanced design. The mere fact of a balanced amplifier technology does not automatically equate to a superior design.

My personal preference is an unbalanced design. Less complexity for the same achievable performance.

*Note that this has nothing to do with a balanced input stage (XLR connection). That is a different issue.

Also consider that any bridged amp is a balanced amp. So most "thumpers" (car stereos) are balanced amps!

The old "Ampzilla" circa 1974 was a balanced design, and a rather good one for those days.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8283 of 8286 Old Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Balanced class D?

I doubt there are any balanced class D amps out there.

Yes it could be done, two PWM chains each acting on positive and negative portions of the input signal. But the resulting timing problems would be a challenge to resolve. Remember that a class D amp core operates in the hundreds of khz. And I can see no performance gain for all that extra cost and work.

Now if you operated two class D amps in a bridge mode, that would technically be a balanced amp. But as class D amps are capable of very high power at excellent efficiency, why would you need a bridged configuration in the first place?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8284 of 8286 Old Today, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
I doubt there are any balanced class D amps out there.

Yes it could be done, two PWM chains each acting on positive and negative portions of the input signal. But the resulting timing problems would be a challenge to resolve. Remember that a class D amp core operates in the hundreds of khz. And I can see no performance gain for all that extra cost and work.

Now if you operated two class D amps in a bridge mode, that would technically be a balanced amp. But as class D amps are capable of very high power at excellent efficiency, why would you need a bridged configuration in the first place?
Thank you! This is the simple yet definitive Rick-Steves type answer I was looking for.

I was just curious as Jeff's answer appears to imply same as yours: there is no such animal. Really was not looking to comment on sonic quality or anything like that.

FWIW, I have many various components with balanced vs single ended outputs over the years. I do use balanced connections if there is a choice, but don't tend to hear any difference either.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)
post #8285 of 8286 Old Today, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 108
This is all good to know. Thanks people for easing my mind until the Dreadnaught D gets here. Then I will be able to listen for myself.
post #8286 of 8286 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 426
the Ncore based design does not benefit any further from being "fully balanced" in the classic sense since the ncore design inherently rejects noise. This is how I understand it... You could email Bruno and I'm sure he would fill you in.

Last edited by blazar; Today at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page