The official "Theta" thread - Page 277 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
post #8281 of 8283 Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
?..All I do really care about is the resulting sound.
Same here.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 8283 Unread Today, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
...... All I do really care about is the resulting sound. My Krell Chorus amp was the only amp I had that was truly balanced from input to output. So I have no predestination for such a design. ......
Great way of looking at it. Like anything else in technology, you can have a very good unbalanced design and a crappy balanced design. The mere fact of a balanced amplifier technology does not automatically equate to a superior design.

My personal preference is an unbalanced design. Less complexity for the same achievable performance.

*Note that this has nothing to do with a balanced input stage (XLR connection). That is a different issue.

Also consider that any bridged amp is a balanced amp. So most "thumpers" (car stereos) are balanced amps!

The old "Ampzilla" circa 1974 was a balanced design, and a rather good one for those days.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8283 of 8283 Unread Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Balanced class D?

I doubt there are any balanced class D amps out there.

Yes it could be done, two PWM chains each acting on positive and negative portions of the input signal. But the resulting timing problems would be a challenge to resolve. Remember that a class D amp core operates in the hundreds of khz. And I can see no performance gain for all that extra cost and work.

Now if you operated two class D amps in a bridge mode, that would technically be a balanced amp. But as class D amps are capable of very high power at excellent efficiency, why would you need a bridged configuration in the first place?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page