The official "Theta" thread - Page 278 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #8311 of 8339 Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remote app with RS-232 feedback for Casablanca III?

I know Irule can give you feedback from a Casablanca over rs-232, but I have read that it takes some time learning and programming irule and that it is not very intuitive. I was wondering if there was any other remote app that allowed you to get feedback from a Casablanca?

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8312 of 8339 Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Agreed - in general, it doesn't seem to make sense. However, it depends upon the speaker. A dealer here in Phoenix, Celestial Audio/Video (open for 20 years and now closed), made their own speakers. They had a little $400/pair of speakers as the least expensive speaker in their lines of speakers. The speakers sounded amazing, considering their size and when put with lower priced electronics. I heard that speaker with many different systems in their store. However, one day, when they were put into a system with a $10,000 amp and a $9,000 preamp (Pass Labs equipment), they sounded huge and absolutely incredible. The improvement was unbelievable.

Hopefully, folks don't take these things too literally - for example the 1/3,1/3,1/3 thing (I know the post was not meant to be taken literally). If taken literally, then we'd never be able to pair the new Dreadnaught D at $10K with a CBIV+Extreme DACs at nearly $25K - a 2.5X difference.

Dave
Yes, Celestial Audio/Video were very talented!!!@@@ Every system they had no matter how expensive or inexpensive sounded nice!

You know, I started out circa 1993 with five Spica TC 60s on stands in my old basement theater. Those speakers were quite revealing.
Yet they MSRP I think about a grand a pair. You could hook up very expensive electronics, cables, etc and they continued to sound better.
But from a practical economic standpoint, if you "listen" (look) hard enough, you can always find some bargains in speakers which simply sound outstanding at their price point, yet I wouldn't recommend hooking up a $10k let alone a $20k SSP to these speakers.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #8313 of 8339 Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm sure some would also argue that the money should first be spent to get better speakers, rather than more expensive electronics.

Dave
post #8314 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I'm sure some would also argue that the money should first be spent to get better speakers, rather than more expensive electronics.

Dave
In some aspect, yes. IMHO, components that are electro-mechanical interface such as cartridges and speakers tend to sound *significantly* differently from each other (I always say they are all "equalizers" ) and hence arguably have the largest influence on overall sound.

And sure, rule of third is not to be taken literally; it's just a reminder that any system is only as good as its weakest component. There is even an explanation for it in my mind: cheaper components tend to make things sound the same due to their low so called "resolving power," as opposed to more expensive/better components, which tend to MAGNIFY differences. To use an extreme example, a $200 speaker will likely make Casablanca sound same as a receiver - no point in doing this.

BTW I think the reason Steve B and I tend to be saying the same thing is that we have just been through way too many components over the years LOL. You start with a 15k processor; next thing you WILL find out it demands 10k amp, 15k speakers, etc., etc. It shouldn't bed the rule, but it always tends to be that way. There is no short cut such as an Emotiva sounding the same as the Casablanca.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)

Last edited by cannga; 05-28-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #8315 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
...There is no short cut such as an Emotiva sounding the same as the Casablanca.
Have you heard the XMC-1? I would not discount it because of price. For me, it's already beaten $12K-$14K processors. That's why I'd like to see if I can get a loaner on a Casablanca (not to beat a dead horse, of course!)

Dave
post #8316 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Have you heard the XMC-1? I would not discount it because of price. For me, it's already beaten $12K-$14K processors. That's why I'd like to see if I can get a loaner on a Casablanca (not to beat a dead horse, of course!)

Dave
Sorry, but I've been around and used and demod enough audio electronics over the years to also know there are no "short cuts" to audio nirvana.

I guarentee in my system one would clearly hear the difference between the Emotiva and CB3HD or CB4. That's not to say that the Emotiva isn't an outstanding performer for the price. In more typical rooms and systems the Emotivq is at the right price point and particularly more appropriate pricewise than a CB if your 98% focus is movies/tv and your total system budget say is $10k to $20k; or perhaps you luv music but you have a separate preamp for music and limit your budget for movies/tv.

But just cause the CB may sound better even in your system, is buying one appropriate given your own/family financial concerns as well as your % focus movies/tv vs music, etc? Only you can determine this? ANd is the percentage of sonic improvement worth it to you given all the considerations you have to make?

Dave, in your system and room, as you have good "ears", I bet you would hear the sonic improvement with the CB3HD or CB4. But is it worth the extra bucks you would have to spend for the % of sonic improvement. That would be up to you!
thezaks likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #8317 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Sorry, but I've been around and used and demod enough audio electronics over the years to also know there are no "short cuts" to audio nirvana.

I guarentee in my system one would clearly hear the difference between the Emotiva and CB3HD or CB4. That's not to say that the Emotiva isn't an outstanding performer for the price. In more typical rooms and systems the Emotivq is at the right price point and particularly more appropriate pricewise than a CB if your 98% focus is movies/tv and your total system budget say is $10k to $20k; or perhaps you luv music but you have a separate preamp for music and limit your budget for movies/tv.

But just cause the CB may sound better even in your system, is buying one appropriate given your own/family financial concerns as well as your % focus movies/tv vs music, etc? Only you can determine this? ANd is the percentage of sonic improvement worth it to you given all the considerations you have to make?

Dave, in your system and room, as you have good "ears", I bet you would hear the sonic improvement with the CB3HD or CB4. But is it worth the extra bucks you would have to spend for the % of sonic improvement. That would be up to you!
Thanks Steve - great points as usual - and I very much appreciate it! (you know me well!) I guess I will only know the answers, if I ever have a chance to get a CB3HD or CB4 in my system for comparison. I don't think there's a chance of that, so I will continue to enjoy the XMC-1. Soon, I will have a Dreadnaught D to go with it too

Dave
post #8318 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Not to compare CB3HD or CB4 with XMC-1 since I have never heard them, but the strongest point of XMC-1 is music. Based on some tests by users XMC-1 is on the same level with Oppo 105. Really amazing SSP. If Emotiva was a boutique name like CB, Krell, Classe etc., this unit should have been easy in the 5 digit price point especially with Dirac Live.
post #8319 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Thanks Steve - great points as usual - and I very much appreciate it! (you know me well!) I guess I will only know the answers, if I ever have a chance to get a CB3HD or CB4 in my system for comparison. I don't think there's a chance of that, so I will continue to enjoy the XMC-1. Soon, I will have a Dreadnaught D to go with it too

Dave
What amp are you using now and would you give me your comparison with Dreadnaught D when you receive it.
Is there any news when they will ship the Dreadnaught D?
I thought based on some news they could ship it last week.
Thanks.
post #8320 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
What amp are you using now and would you give me your comparison with Dreadnaught D when you receive it.
Is there any news when they will ship the Dreadnaught D?
I thought based on some news they could ship it last week.
Thanks.
Currently, I have a 7 channel Krell S-1500 that has been upgraded by The Upgrade Company. I've also had the Cary 7.250, B&K Ref 200.7, Cary 500MB monos, Pass Labs X5+X350. I'll definitely be happy to share my experience with the new Dreadnaught D and how it compares to the others.

I think there's some show this weekend where Theta will be debuting the Dreadnaught D. My guess is that they can start shipping within a short time after this debut.

Dave
post #8321 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Currently, I have a 7 channel Krell S-1500 that has been upgraded by The Upgrade Company. I've also had the Cary 7.250, B&K Ref 200.7, Cary 500MB monos, Pass Labs X5+X350. I'll definitely be happy to share my experience with the new Dreadnaught D and how it compares to the others.

I think there's some show this weekend where Theta will be debuting the Dreadnaught D. My guess is that they can start shipping within a short time after this debut.

Dave
Yup - The SHOW in Newport Beach, CA!

My home theater at:
post #8322 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Dave
I would suggest not sending any equipment worthy of discussion in this forum to the Upgrade Company. While I firmly believe his hype is 100% BS on any gear, even cheap commodityBest buy stuff, why would you expose an expensive high end piece of gear to this hack shop?

I mean really, Theta, Krell left out performance that this non-engineer working out of a garage can implement?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #8323 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
I would suggest not sending any equipment worthy of discussion in this forum to the Upgrade Company. While I firmly believe his hype is 100% BS on any gear, even cheap commodityBest buy stuff, why would you expose an expensive high end piece of gear to this hack shop?

I mean really, Theta, Krell left out performance that this non-engineer working out of a garage can implement?
Interesting how folks with zero experience say things like this. I've had many items upgraded by TUC - always an improvement. But, it's better to discuss this in a PM or another thread. I don't want to take part in derailing this thread.

Dave
post #8324 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting how folks with zero experience say things like this.
Dave
Define zero expereince?

Yes I have absolutly no experience comparing his work to stock products.

But I have substantial experience with the technical claims he makes and find them abusively out of context with proven reality.

I just find it interesting that anyone would spend the money for the ultra products discussed here then subject them to these unauthorized modifications? I mean isn't the point of buying this high end pedigree gear so that you have the best build quality right out of the gate? After all, we aren't talking about $399 Denon AV receivers here.

Will Theta and Krell even service a product for T&M that has been modified by TUC? I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse to touch it.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #8325 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 03:26 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I don't want to take part in derailing this thread.
Probably best not to bring it up, then.
post #8326 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Probably best not to bring it up, then.
You always seem to show up when TUC is mentioned. Someone asked me about the amp that I have and I gave an answer - I simply answered the question. Someone else (Glimmie) then took things further.

Dave
post #8327 of 8339 Old 05-28-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You always seem to show up when TUC is mentioned. Someone asked me about the amp that I have and I gave an answer - I simply answered the question. Someone else (Glimmie) then took things further.

Dave
Ok I'll shut up.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #8328 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dave
What are your speakers????

My home theater at:
post #8329 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What are your speakers????
My speakers are Celestial Audio Rigels - meticulously crafted by Marcelino Lopez and Bill Goodman. Three-way, 8" woofer, 5 1/4" mid, and 120mm tweeter - piano black finish. They had 3-4 series of speakers, and the Rigels were in their top series of speakers.

Celestial Audio had their doors open for 20 years, but the downturn in the economy finally closed the doors - it's a shame these guys aren't still in business or utilizing their talents with another speaker manufacturer.

Dave
post #8330 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunately for your pocketbook my "gut", based on experience, tells me in your system, you will hear a noticeable improvement in sonics with the CBIV with Extreme
D-2DACs, more so when the new Extreme D-3 DACs are available. (And even more so if you used external Gen VIII DACs!) But only you could determine whether the expense is worth it to you!

My home theater at:
post #8331 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
CBIVA with Extreme D-3,DAC demo in a few days:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0
I wonder if the new HDMI board and D3 Extreme has been finalized since it is a premier event??? When I saw your post Steve I thought you were getting the Demo. I was so hoping to hear customer feedback on the new upgrades.
post #8332 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post
I wonder if the new HDMI board and D3 Extreme has been finalized since it is a premier event??? When I saw your post Steve I thought you were getting the Demo. I was so hoping to hear customer feedback on the new upgrades.
Nope - I am not getting the Demo. Theta has historically sometimes demod stuff which was still being worked on and not yet available for sale.
Theta has not formally announced yet that the new Extreme D-3 DAC cards for the CBIVA, or that the CBIVA (or the CBV for that matter) are available for sale now or in the near future at a certain or approximate date. So even if I wanted the new Extreme D-3 DAC cards I couldn't get them yet. Same for the CBIVA. But Theta has announced shipping of the Dreadnaught D multi-channel amplifiers so they are now available.

As discussed above, I'm sure the new Extreme D-3 DACs will be great sonically and the best internal DACs for any SSP - but I still bet that the best DACs which work with the CBIV's built in menu & volume control are the Gen VIII Series 3!!!

My home theater at:
post #8333 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately for your pocketbook my "gut", based on experience, tells me in your system, you will hear a noticeable improvement in sonics with the CBIV with Extreme
D-2DACs, more so when the new Extreme D-3 DACs are available. (And even more so if you used external Gen VIII DACs!) But only you could determine whether the expense is worth it to you!
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much! I thought so too, which is why I'm now entertaining the thought of a CBIV w/Extreme D-3 DACs. Much has happened, since I last came over to your place, so I'm looking forward to catching up in a few weeks.

Dave
post #8334 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Theta has not formally announced yet that the new Extreme D-3 DAC cards for the CBIVA, or that the CBIVA (or the CBV for that matter) are available for sale now or in the near future at a certain or approximate date. So even if I wanted the new Extreme D-3 DAC cards I couldn't get them yet.
Interestingly enough though, Theta does have the Xtreme D-3 listed in the MSRP Book (found under the DOWNLOADS menu on their website), in all three variations - 2 channel, 4 channel, and 6 channel.

Dave
post #8335 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much! I thought so too, which is why I'm now entertaining the thought of a CBIV w/Extreme D-3 DACs. Much has happened, since I last came over to your place, so I'm looking forward to catching up in a few weeks.

Dave
Me, too. I guarentee you will be blown out the door and into a hurricane when you hear my system now! HA!

My home theater at:
post #8336 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Interestingly enough though, Theta does have the Xtreme D-3 listed in the MSRP Book (found under the DOWNLOADS menu on their website), in all three variations - 2 channel, 4 channel, and 6 channel.

Dave
Yes theta does! But I talked with them a month ago and at that time, they could give no date, even approximate, when the Extreme D-3 would be available - same for CBIVA and CBV. Of course, that could change anytime! And when it does, you can bet Craig/VGI will likely be the first to know.

My home theater at:
post #8337 of 8339 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes theta does! But I talked with them a month ago and at that time, they could give no date, even approximate, when the Extreme D-3 would be available - same for CBIVA and CBV. Of course, that could change anytime! And when it does, you can bet Craig/VGI will likely be the first to know.
We'll have to see what happens, following T.H.E. Show this weekend!

Dave
post #8338 of 8339 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well Well - that describes my current system and latest upgrades!!!@@@

Over a month ago picked up two used Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs, so now have three of them for 5.1 channels, and use a DH Labs Silver Sonic analog balanced splitter from the Theta CB4 SSP to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers.

Less than two weeks my new Media Server arrived, a CAPSv4 Pipeline as sold by Small Green Computer with an outboard HDPlex linear power supply. Now I use my prior
CAPS3 Zuma (modded with larger case and an added Sapphire/ATI video card for multi-channel audio) only for multi-channel.

On two channel, the CAPSv4 Pipeline is even much better than what I had luved with my CAPS3! Appreciably quieter, one can turn up the volume on the CB4 "higher and higher". Drums, bass, everything simply clearly sounds better. Bottom line is the CAPSv4 has appreciably less power consumption and EMI/noise thus that cleaner background and greater dynamics. I played several recent jazz recordings all in hi rez - "Jazz Funk Soul"; "Hacienda" by Jeff Lorber Fusion; and two albums by David Chesky and the New Harmonic Jazz. Oh - also an old but goodie Billy Cobham album and the improvement in dynamics is beyond what I could have expected. Don't get me wrong - the CAPSv3 has been terrific for stereo - but once one hears the CAPS4 Pipeline, one cannot go backwards!

For two channel now I almost always listen with the CB4 in multi-channel DTS Neo6! I have matching top dog speakers (Aerial 7t), monoblock amps (Theta Prometheus),
and DACs (Theta Gen VIII Series 3) at each channel including subwoofer, and I am finding that the "extra" extrapolated speakers only enhance the otherwise two channel presentation without taking away!!@@@
nn

My home theater at:
post #8339 of 8339 Old Today, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky
Over a month ago picked up two used Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs, so now have three of them for 5.1 channels, and use a DH Labs Silver Sonic analog balanced splitter from the Theta CB4 SSP to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers. Less than two weeks my new Media Server arrived, a CAPSv4 Pipeline as sold by Small Green Computer with an outboard HDPlex linear power supply. Now I use my prior CAPS3 Zuma (modded with larger case and an added Sapphire/ATI video card for multi-channel audio) only for multi-channel. On two channel, the CAPSv4 Pipeline is even much better than what I had luved with my CAPS3! Appreciably quieter, one can turn up the volume on the CB4 "higher and higher". Drums, bass, everything simply clearly sounds better. Bottom line is the CAPSv4 has appreciably less power consumption and EMI/noise thus that cleaner background and greater dynamics. I played several recent jazz recordings all in hi rez - "Jazz Funk Soul"; "Hacienda" by Jeff Lorber Fusion; and two albums by David Chesky and the New Harmonic Jazz. Oh - also an old but goodie Billy Cobham album and the improvement in dynamics is beyond what I could have expected. Don't get me wrong - the CAPSv3 has been terrific for stereo - but once one hears the CAPS4 Pipeline, one cannot go backwards!
For two channel now I almost always listen with the CB4 in multi-channel DTS Neo6! I have matching top dog speakers (Aerial 7t), monoblock amps (Theta Prometheus),
and DACs (Theta Gen VIII Series 3) at each channel including subwoofer, and I am finding that the "extra" extrapolated speakers only enhance the otherwise two channel presentation without taking away!!@@@
Yesterday and this AM finished recalibrating audio/speaker levels in my sytem. This is pre-Dirac. Will recalibrate with Dirac in near future.

In the past, I had calculated delays for all of my CBIV audio modes based on speaker & subwoofer distance from the front center row (two rows, front row three leather recliners, back row two leather recliners, with the front center recliner and the back left recliner having “me” or whoever is sitting there right in front of the front center Aerial 7t or right in the center of the front & surround left and right Aerial 7ts). But I have found that I like watching DirecTV at center front, but I like listening to music at the back left. And sometimes I like watching blu ray movies from the back left, too. So I thought – why not setup CBIV modes with calibrating “delay” and “level” for the speakers for both the front center and back left (again, only two recliners in back row, and the left is actually in the center of speakers from left to right)? So I did.

In the past, I have preferred using DTS Neo 6 for converting my media server USB 2 channel music (which I have set at 80 Hz 24 dB crossover and I always use my subs for 2 channel and every other music, movie and tv source in my system) into multi-channel. But now, after the above recalibrations, and with my new CAPSv4 Pipeline 2Ch music server being clearly more dynamic than my CAPSv3 modded Zuma music server, I find that there is a loss of dynamics using those modes. But I find that “Special Matrix” is simply wonderful to derive multi-channel from 2 channel music! No loss of dynamics at all. In order to always be able to on the fly compare 2 channel USB vs derived multi-channel using “Special Matrix”, using my Radio Shack analog sound level meter, I listened and raised the 2 channel (plus subwoofer) CBIV source up by 5 dB for each speaker & subwoofer level. Its obvious that I have noticed the loss of dynamics using the Dolby and DTS modes due to (1) now having three Gen VIII DACs for all channels, not just front left and right; (2) new CAPSV4Pipeline music server simply more dynamic than the CAPSv3 modded Zuma music server for stereo; and (3) my setting speaker distance and levels for the left back row (actually center as noted above).

I like to use the start of the blu ray movie “Prometheus” to hear and evaluate bass on my system for movies! WOW! Interesting I found the bass overall not as loud as before. But the bass is deeper, more musical, and so much more REAL! When the spaceship is hovering over the waterfall, I now hear the waterfall like when I visited Niagara Falls some years ago! I’ve always liked the back row for movies, liking the bass I would feel and hear – bass is great in the front row, but even better in the back row. Now that I have made a source setting for the CBIV based on my position at left back row (actually center as discussed above), with the proper speaker delays for that position, I found that the subwoofer speaker level for the back is quite a bit higher than the front, so I lowered the back subwoofer level to about equal the other speakers. And the result in doing this that I can really hear my system in all its glory!

My home theater at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page