The official "Theta" thread - Page 279 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 57Likes
post #8341 of 8364 Old 05-30-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I keep looking for write ups about it. Haven't found anything yet.

It does say now shipping on the Theta site. But I haven't been notified yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 8364 Old 05-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Their web has been updated ahead of time to reflect the start of shipping next Monday 6-1-15.
post #8343 of 8364 Old 05-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a preference to using spades or banana's on the Dreadnaught? I'm using banana's now on this dread II, and will get upgrading to the Dread D later. I'm investing in new speaker wire, and before I got them terminated I wanted to ask
post #8344 of 8364 Old 05-30-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Here is some info from "THE SHOW"
The Theta Room had the following gear.

Electronics:
Casablanca IV w/Extreme D-3 DACs
PC Music Server running J-River
Compli Blu 3D
Dreadnaught D
Prometheus x 2

Speakers:
Wilson Sabrina

Here are some pics...enjoy

Later
RayJr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010968.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	746745   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010970.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	746753  
post #8345 of 8364 Old 05-30-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

Electronics:
Compli Blu 3D
Dreadnaught D
Prometheus x 2

Speakers:
Wilson Sabrina

Later
RayJr
Zooming into the Casablanca it looks like the Display has a red DTS:X logo already.
post #8346 of 8364 Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancjodanc View Post
Does anyone have a preference to using spades or banana's on the Dreadnaught? I'm using banana's now on this dread II, and will get upgrading to the Dread D later. I'm investing in new speaker wire, and before I got them terminated I wanted to ask
Ask the cable company that you are buying from what they recommend - though I suspect they will recommend spades. Its rare to see speaker wire for us "audiophiles" terminated with bananas. What you want is what terminator/connector will give you the best contact for the audio signal to pass from cable to amp and speaker binding posts.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #8347 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Save your money, 3D-audio "trinity" is coming to Casablanca for sure.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube preamp a try - the sound from heaven! :-)

Last edited by cannga; Yesterday at 08:20 PM.
post #8348 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Electronics:
Compli Blu 3D
Dreadnaught D
Prometheus x 2

Speakers:
Wilson Sabrina

Later
RayJr
How did dreadnaught D sound to you?
post #8349 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
It made sound...

This is actually an impossible questions to answer.
It was a room that I had no experience with and speakers that I have never heard before....
So the most truthful answer I can give you is.."It made Sound"

Sorry
RayJr
post #8350 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It made sound...

It was a room that I had no experience with and speakers that I have never heard before....

Sorry
RayJr
Well, I was not looking for a comparison between the show and your room.
I was looking for sound characteristic of amp in the that particular room in the show.
post #8351 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
It made sound...

Sorry
RayJr

While I agree with the aspect of unfamiliarity, I entirely disagree with not being able to provide a subjective opinion of how it sounded overall to you. Even if I hear a system with totally unfamiliar electronics, speakers, and room, I can still have an opinion about it. "It made Sound" is not at all helpful - in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it caused some folks to cancel their order for the Dreadnaught D. Not me though - I will give it a chance at home.

Dave
post #8352 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
So the most truthful answer I can give you is... "It made Sound"

Ray, I had a friend who once said that years ago when describing audio gear. He's gone now, but you've resurrected that memory and a smile for a moment.
Welcome to the Theta thread. If you stick around long enough we might convert you
post #8353 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
While I agree with the aspect of unfamiliarity, I entirely disagree with not being able to provide a subjective opinion of how it sounded overall to you. Even if I hear a system with totally unfamiliar electronics, speakers, and room, I can still have an opinion about it. "It made Sound" is not at all helpful - in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it caused some folks to cancel their order for the Dreadnaught D. Not me though - I will give it a chance at home.

Dave
I am sorry if my answer offended anyone, I guess a better answer would be "It sounded fine"
I can't give a realistic answer as to how the "Dreadnaught D" sounded as it was a combination of room, speakers and electronics that I was listening to.

Sorry
RayJr
post #8354 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It made sound...

Sorry
RayJr
Ray, agreed. You sound like a seasoned veteran of audio shows.

The speaker dominates any system's sound - it's very difficult to evaluate just the sound of preamp or amplifier. Equally important is the other major variable - the software (demo software is *everything* IMHO). In this particular case it's doubly difficult because I could not play my own CD of material that I am very familiar with.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
post #8355 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Dave
Dave, I will give it a try but as mentioned keep in mind there are multiple variables at work here, most of all the speakers, and equally important the music material. Jeff's demo was fantastic but unfortunately I could not play my own CD, making any kind of review nearly impossible. (Playing my own music material is THE most important thing for me in evaluation any system - software makes or breaks any system, no matter the cost.)

That said, I do have some perhaps minor advantage: I am extremely familiar with the house "sound" of Wilson speaker, the house "sound" of Theta Casablanca, and the house sound of David Reich previous amp designs, at Classe (I have had a few Classe amps.).

1. Using Jeff's own audiophile quality material (Jeff is a pro and his music selection understandably is top notch.), the overall sound of the system is Häagen-Dazs® smooth in the top end, with fantastic holographic and pin point imaging (hallmarks of Wilson speaker). Wilson is a very bright speaker best used with tube gears and it is great that this solid state system makes the sound listenable.
2. Dynamics and low frequency was good but this is more character of the speakers and the room, not as much the amp. This part of the review could only be reliably done with the amp at home and for example in direct shoot-out with another amp.
3. I was able to compare this room with 2 other Wilson speaker rooms: one with tube amplification, one with Krell which is of course solid state, so I do have some idea of this amp's sound, but only certain aspect of it.

The conclusion: probably, even likely, very smooth and detailed high end (hallmark of David Reich previous Classe amp, an extremely desirable character for solid state amp ), excellent soundstage if the speakers allow it, excellent imaging if the speakers allow it. No idea of low end response, but judging from Prometheus review, Dreadnaught should have excellent dynamics and bass response. This amp I believe is going to be a winner, just like big brother Prometheus. Hope this help.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; Today at 08:37 AM.
post #8356 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I for one think it helps a bunch. Has anyone received a request for the remainder of the money for the Dreadnaught D? I haven't yet. Just curious of how they do this? Since they are supposed to start shipping tomorrow I am anxious for the invoice.
post #8357 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Already paid in full just waiting for the tracking
post #8358 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...I can't give a realistic answer as to how the "Dreadnaught D" sounded as it was a combination of room, speakers and electronics that I was listening to.

Sorry
RayJr
I agree completely! Thanks RayJr!

Dave
post #8359 of 8364 Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks so much Can!

Dave
post #8360 of 8364 Old Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here's my brief note: we made wonderful music during the Newport show. Imaging of the Dirac enabled CB IV with the new DAC's, Wilson Sabrina's and our amps was so good the speakers disappeared and all that was left was the music. IMO, this is exactly what all of us wanted when we embarked on this hobby. For amplification, we used a pair of Prometheus and two channels of an 8-channel production Dreadnaught D off and on. As to the sound of the new Dreadnaught, on Saturday afternoon when I changed from Prometheus to Dreadnaught D, Sanjay Durani remarked, "Thank you. I'd been craving to hear the D again."

Jeff
post #8361 of 8364 Old Today, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Here's my brief note: we made wonderful music during the Newport show. Imaging of the Dirac enabled CB IV with the new DAC's, Wilson Sabrina's and our amps was so good the speakers disappeared and all that was left was the music. IMO, this is exactly what all of us wanted when we embarked on this hobby. For amplification, we used a pair of Prometheus and two channels of an 8-channel production Dreadnaught D off and on. As to the sound of the new Dreadnaught, on Saturday afternoon when I changed from Prometheus to Dreadnaught D, Sanjay Durani remarked, "Thank you. I'd been craving to hear the D again."

Jeff
Jeff, Congrats on what was obviously a great show for Theta Digital!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
post #8362 of 8364 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

And thanks for the delightful information. Are they shipping yet?
post #8363 of 8364 Unread Today, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
How did dreadnaught D sound to you?
I didn't hear it but isn't it using the same Ncore 1200 module as the Prometheus? If so, then I would expect it to sound exactly the same at normal volume levels. The Prometheus should do better at higher power levels as it's a monoblock design - single power supply.

I also agree that speakers and room treatment contribute immensely to the sound of a system. You need to get that right before you can really judge the subtle differences in high end amplifiers.

P.S. missed the New Port show as I had Hollywood Bowl tickets for Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett. Great live audio to be heard there! The BluRay should be good system demo material.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Last edited by Glimmie; Today at 11:25 AM.
post #8364 of 8364 Unread Today, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
I didn't hear it but isn't it using the same Ncore 1200 module as the Prometheus? If so, then I would expect it to sound exactly the same at normal volume levels. The Prometheus should do better at higher power levels as it's a monoblock design - single power supply.

I also agree that speakers and room treatment contribute immensely to the sound of a system. You need to get that right before you can really judge the subtle differences in high end amplifiers.

P.S. missed the New Port show as I had Hollywood Bowl tickets for Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett. Great live audio to be heard there! The BluRay should be good system demo material.
Yea, the Hollywood Bowl is pretty awesome. About ten years ago my wife and I saw James Taylor with the LA Philharmonic Orchestra there on the evening of July 4th. Great fireworks after, too!

My home theater at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page