The official "Theta" thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 7277 Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
tjk3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The south.
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yippee, dropped my CBIII off at FedEx for its trip to ATI tonight

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
tjk3030 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 7277 Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all!!

OK so my CB3HD arrived and I've been up all night rebuilding my system. I had a blown Dread channel so I had to do a load of work to get it all up again, along with rewiring everything.

First impressions of the CB3HD visually is W.O.W!!!!!!! They replaced the cover with a lovely new brushed aluminium and replaced the front face-plate (or at least the left side!). It is much heavier than before I think.

I have found a bug I think. Can anyone here with a CB3HD confirm? When I use a 12v trigger, the CB3 will turn on the amps now problem but when your turn them off it does not send the signal, so it does not turn off the amps. I am using the trigger ports numbered 1 and 2.

I am using an HTPC for my main audio source and since I have changed the sound card I am now not getting the correct sound out so I have been unable to properly test and calibrate yet. I was up until 1am and our beautiful PUNCTUAL little girl just woke us up at 6:45 so I guess I'll get back at it now. :-)

Update soon...
Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #183 of 7277 Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 View Post

Hi all!!

OK so my CB3HD arrived and I've been up all night rebuilding my system. I had a blown Dread channel so I had to do a load of work to get it all up again, along with rewiring everything.

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll love it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 View Post

I have found a bug I think. Can anyone here with a CB3HD confirm? When I use a 12v trigger, the CB3 will turn on the amps now problem but when your turn them off it does not send the signal, so it does not turn off the amps. I am using the trigger ports numbered 1 and 2.


Update soon...
Ken

Did you happen to go into the Global setting and then Remote Power and set your triggers to whatever is required, DC or Pulse and set the duration of the pulses correctly?

I use all 4 triggers and set them up the same way as they were when it was a CB-III and everything turns on and off and does it sequentially, just like I want it to. Except for the one that has it's own on/off button of course.

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #184 of 7277 Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM
VGI
Advanced Member
 
VGI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 View Post

Hi all!!

OK so my CB3HD arrived and I've been up all night rebuilding my system. I had a blown Dread channel so I had to do a load of work to get it all up again, along with rewiring everything.

First impressions of the CB3HD visually is W.O.W!!!!!!! They replaced the cover with a lovely new brushed aluminium and replaced the front face-plate (or at least the left side!). It is much heavier than before I think.

I have found a bug I think. Can anyone here with a CB3HD confirm? When I use a 12v trigger, the CB3 will turn on the amps now problem but when your turn them off it does not send the signal, so it does not turn off the amps. I am using the trigger ports numbered 1 and 2.

I am using an HTPC for my main audio source and since I have changed the sound card I am now not getting the correct sound out so I have been unable to properly test and calibrate yet. I was up until 1am and our beautiful PUNCTUAL little girl just woke us up at 6:45 so I guess I'll get back at it now. :-)

Update soon...
Ken


ken, I can't believe how fast it got to you !! Wooohoo

I emailed you the reason the triggers are doing what they are doing but it looks like Bigbrother has answered as well.

Some Amps are Pulsed and some are constant 12 volts, the Blanca can send either and should be set accordingly.

Let us know what you think !!

Thanks
Craig
VGI is offline  
post #185 of 7277 Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks guys - Sorry I've been away from the PC working on the setup! :-)

I'll change the global settings right away.

Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #186 of 7277 Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorted! Now my HTPC is pumping out full HD sound - BOOYA!

Photos and updates pending...

Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #187 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My bet is that you got all of the experiential opinions that are out there from folks who post on the web. Only a tiny percentage of CB3 owners even own a Six Shooter!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #188 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

My bet is that you got all of the experiential opinions that are out there from folks who post on the web. Only a tiny percentage of CB3 owners even own a Six Shooter!

I already got cold feet, so before committing any funds I have a buddy coming tomorrow with a 10K solid state preamp to hear for myself how the SS stacks up.
edorr is offline  
post #189 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Clinton,MS
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post

Then I wonder how the Gen VIIIv2 preamp compares to my Ayre K-1xe? Obviously there is no DAC in the Ayre...but would it be worth investigating to see if my Meridian 508.24 CD player sounds better as a transport to the Gen VIIIv2 than going balanced analogue to the Ayre? I currently use the Ayre for 2-ch and when I had the theater set up properly, I fed home theater as pass-thru.

That would be a good shoot out. Jim White who designs Aesthetix gear is a former Theta engineer who also designed the volume controls in the Gen VIII series 2. Charles Hansen of Ayre is also a former Theta designer. I noticed that the Aesthetix Romulus CD player uses the same Motorola DSP and Burr Brown dacs as the current Gen VIII. It makes me wonder if Jim White also designed the Gen VIII?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #190 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post

Then I wonder how the Gen VIIIv2 preamp compares to my Ayre K-1xe? Obviously there is no DAC in the Ayre...but would it be worth investigating to see if my Meridian 508.24 CD player sounds better as a transport to the Gen VIIIv2 than going balanced analogue to the Ayre? I currently use the Ayre for 2-ch and when I had the theater set up properly, I fed home theater as pass-thru.

I would separate the preamp shootout from the DAC shootout instead. For this you would first run the Meridian analog into both an Ayre and a GenVIII v2. This will tell you which is the best preamp. Should the Ayre turn out to be a better preamp you would get more improvement out of keeping it and upgrading your CD player or getting an outboard DAC and use the Meridian as a transport.

If the GenVIII v2 prevails as a preamp, next thing you would do is compare it analog into the GenVIII with digital into the GenVIII, which will tell you which is the better DAC. Just my 2c.
edorr is offline  
post #191 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

So far so good - the CB3HD sounds brilliant! I am hearing background sounds that I have never heard before!!!

I haven't had too much time watching movies yet so I will have more to report later.

I have found some weirdness that I hope someone can help me with:

I have my 3rd Xtreme DAC configured for Sub1, Sub2, Sub3, Sub4. I have 2 subs (connected to Sub1 & Sub2) so I have the subs configured for L+R.

I am not getting any sound on sub2.

Also, when I play the internal Theta test tone (white noise) to calibrate my levels, Sub1 plays always - for each individual channel and for the NoiseAll. Basically any time the test tone is playing, Sub1 is playing. I had to turn off power to the sub to calibrate my levels.

Is there a configuration item I am missing?

Any help you can offer would be a great help.

Cheers,
Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #192 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal region, Canada
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why do you want to change the six shooter? not satisfied?

My guess is that any change of component will give marginal differences at best, ex cept maybe if you put a lot of $$$.

You should know also that i was in the tiny % Steve was referring too.
audiman is offline  
post #193 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

Why do you want to change the six shooter? not satisfied?

My guess is that any change of component will give marginal differences at best, ex cept maybe if you put a lot of $$$.

You should know also that i was in the tiny % Steve was referring too.

Very satisfied with the six shooter. But theoretically a $2,000 MCH preamp (which is about 50% of MSRP of the the interconnect coming and 50% of the interconnect going out) should be the weakest link in my 2 channel chain, so I just want to see if a substantial improvement can be achieved for a reasonable outlay. If it turns out this is not the case, I can live happily with the Six Shooter and will be looking at other ways to apply the discretionary funds towards an upgrade of some sort.

If I may ask, what 2 channel preamp have you compared the six shooter with?
edorr is offline  
post #194 of 7277 Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So it seems that I have a channel not working in my 3rd Xtreme DAC. The Sub1 (top most output) is not putting out any sound.

Currently, so that both of my subs will output sound, I have configured the CB3HD for 3 subs, and moved the sub connections to Sub2 and Sub3. Now I am getting sound from them both.

I don't know if the problem is with the DAC or the fact that it is assigned to Sub1 (SubLT on the VSD) channel. What is the procedure for changing the DAC channel assignments so that I can test if that channel works as a Centre channel or something?

I don't mind using the processor as it is, since sending it back in for repair is totally out of the question due to cost. My only concern is this:

I have the subs setup so the I have the following connections; Sub2 (shown as SubRT on the ) and Sub3 (Shown as SubRS). Does it matter where the subwoofers are physically located in my listening area? They are physically located on the left and right of the room. Does the CB3HD process outputs to the subs at different levels based on if they are left, right, front and rear? They are currently not connected to the outputs that correspond to the real physical locations. Is that OK?
kenlong69 is offline  
post #195 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Senior Member
 
tjk3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The south.
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know everyone here has been focusing on the sound of new HDMI card. But how does the video pass thru look too? Any degradation from using HDMI versus a direct link from the source component to display device?

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
tjk3030 is offline  
post #196 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Absolutely no degradation, picture is crystal clear. I have run a number of High Def calibration test patterns and the signal seems completely unaltered. This is using my HTPC with a Radeon 5750 video card.

I know it has been mentioned before but the switching is smooth and fast too.

Cheers,
Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #197 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 View Post

So it seems that I have a channel not working in my 3rd Xtreme DAC. The Sub1 (top most output) is not putting out any sound.

Currently, so that both of my subs will output sound, I have configured the CB3HD for 3 subs, and moved the sub connections to Sub2 and Sub3. Now I am getting sound from them both.

I don't know if the problem is with the DAC or the fact that it is assigned to Sub1 (SubLT on the VSD) channel. What is the procedure for changing the DAC channel assignments so that I can test if that channel works as a Centre channel or something?

I don't mind using the processor as it is, since sending it back in for repair is totally out of the question due to cost. My only concern is this:

I have the subs setup so the I have the following connections; Sub2 (shown as SubRT on the ) and Sub3 (Shown as SubRS). Does it matter where the subwoofers are physically located in my listening area? They are physically located on the left and right of the room. Does the CB3HD process outputs to the subs at different levels based on if they are left, right, front and rear? They are currently not connected to the outputs that correspond to the real physical locations. Is that OK?

There is a procedure for using the front panel buttons to set up which speakerks and subs are from which DAC card outlets. Your dealer should be able to obtain this info and run you through this. (I have a handout how to do this but its from 2003 and who knows if it works now witht he new CB3 HD and its new software.)

But first, triple check the CB3 menu to ensure that you have speakers setup for three subs to be output. A mistake could have been made where you are only outputting two.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #198 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Steve, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I tried 1, 2, 3, and 4 subs configured. I am getting nothing from that DAC channel. :-( Even with a single sub configured, and connected to Sub 1...

Cheers,
Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #199 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, so I just watched Toy Story 3 in DTS Master 7.1 - WOW! It is simply stunning!!! I'm sure that even the fronts sound better than before, so much more clear and "alive". I also moved my subs to new locations based on some testing I was doing while awaiting the arrival of the CB3HD - they too sound much better although most likely due to the new locations...

I've been running the Isotek System Enhancer CD at all times when I am not watching something, to get a good burn in.

I am noticing a lot of pops and cracks when it switches audio formats, mostly form my rear channels. Does anyone else get these? They seem much more frequent than before.

Cheers,
Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #200 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Clinton,MS
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 View Post

I don't know if the problem is with the DAC or the fact that it is assigned to Sub1 (SubLT on the VSD) channel. What is the procedure for changing the DAC channel assignments so that I can test if that channel works as a Centre channel or something?

I don't mind using the processor as it is, since sending it back in for repair is totally out of the question due to cost.

Was that channel working before the upgrade? Is there any relation between the time of the blown Dreadnaught channel and the dac output? Have you tried resetting the CBIII by turning off the main power?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #201 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You have to read my earlier posts in this thread re the Gen 8 V2 DAC I picked up not quite two weeks ago to understand my below continuing comments:


2-19-2011

I have the PS Audio PWT and PWD each separately on Symposium Ultra platforms. Initially each component on a set of 3 Symposium Rollerblocks 2 over the Ultras. I connected PWT via digital coaxial, digital XLR, and IS2 to PWD, and PDW stereo analog XLR out to Gen 8 Series 2 DAC. But then I determined the sonics were better by placing a set of 3 rectangular Symposium aluminum couplers between the Ultras and the PWD and PWT. On to redbook CDs Jacintha “Here’s To Ben” and Acoustic Alchemy “The Very Best of”. Sonically, I2S was the best, with digital XLR close second, and digital coaxial a close but not quite third, in sonic quality – this was stereo analog XLR out from the PS Audio PWD DAC to the Gen 8 using the Gen 8 as analog preamp.

Next, I changed connections, to use digital coaxial from the Marantz UD9004 to the Gen 8. Immediately upon inserting the Jacintha CD, there was clearly better sonics across the board, especially vocals. And with the Acoustic Alchemy CD, again, clearly better. Made the slight differences using the PWT only with its digital coaxial, balanced and I2S connections
as essentially nothing, really, the Marantz is easily better using digital coaxial than using the PWT to PWD using any digital connection.

Next, I changed connections, to use stereo analog XLR from the Marantz to the Gen 8. And at the Gen 8, in the menu, I used the volume offset feature so that the volume or loudness of both the stereo analog XLR and the digital coaxial from the Marantz to the Gen 8 were equivalent. AND – the winner – seriously, so close that its very hard to tell.
So what does this mean? When I integrate the Gen 8 Series 2 with my soon to come back upgraded Theta CB3 HD, I’ll be able to use the coaxial digital of the Marantz to redbook CDs, use DPL2 or DTS Neo to expand to my 5.3 system which includes setting high pass and low pass crossovers for an even more natural “expanded” soundstage with appreciably better bass that one can both hear and feel. WOW!


Watched blu ray of “The Social Network”. Sounds good using either coaxial digital (outputs hi rez blu ray tracks at 48 kHz) or stereo analog XLR (Marantz’ internal DACs do DA conversion). Watched it using coaxial digital as that sounded better than the already excellent sounding stereo analog XLR. Now watching Austin City Limits with Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel, with DirecTV DVR set to PCM 2.0. WOW! No matter how good DD 5.1 via my CB3 has sounded, this is clearly better with less fatigue and hi rez inspiration!!!
Makes me even more excited for when I get back my upgraded CB3 HD integrated with the Gen 8 DAC!!!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #202 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Armand07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

So what does this mean? When I integrate the Gen 8 Series 2 with my soon to come back upgraded Theta CB3 HD, I'll be able to use the coaxial digital of the Marantz to redbook CDs, use DPL2 or DTS Neo to expand to my 5.3 system which includes setting high pass and low pass crossovers for an even more natural expanded soundstage with appreciably better bass that one can both hear and feel. WOW!

If you intend to play redbook cd through the CBIII I agree that it will be a nice feature to crossover some of the lowest bass to your subs. Even when I had Aerial 20T v2 in my system (about a year ago) I found that the subs were better below 40Hz.

Personally I am not crazy about using PLII for two channel music, always prefer to leave it as it was recorded. When I get my CBIII I will compare my Compli Blu-> CBIII for redbook playback against my Burmester reference combo (069cd/077 preamp). If it comes as much as a little bit close to it I will be impressed! The Compli Blu-Cary Cinema 11a combo I have today is far, far behind...

I intend to use my CBIII for multichannel SACD/DVD-As, movies and TV.
Armand07 is offline  
post #203 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Clinton,MS
Posts: 6,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post

If
P When I get my CBIII I will compare my Compli Blu-> CBIII for redbook playback against my Burmester reference combo (069cd/077 preamp). If it comes as much as a little bit close to it I will be impressed!

I will be impressed,well shocked if it does come close to a $100,000.00 combo.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #204 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post

If you intend to play redbook cd through the CBIII I agree that it will be a nice feature to crossover some of the lowest bass to your subs. Even when I had Aerial 20T v2 in my system (about a year ago) I found that the subs were better below 40Hz.

Personally I am not crazy about using PLII for two channel music, always prefer to leave it as it was recorded. When I get my CBIII I will compare my Compli Blu-> CBIII for redbook playback against my Burmester reference combo (069cd/077 preamp). If it comes as much as a little bit close to it I will be impressed! The Compli Blu-Cary Cinema 11a combo I have today is far, far behind...

I intend to use my CBIII for multichannel SACD/DVD-As, movies and TV.

When I used my CB3 and previous Theta Compli for redbook CD via coxial digital (prior to the PS Audio and Marantz gear), I liked Circle Surround as I found that it seemed to leave the front left and right alone and simply add a bit of ambience with the surrounds. I tried DPL2 but didn't feel it was as natural as Circle Surround. My understanding is that the CB3 HD doesn't have Circle Surround. I'll also have the option of using a Matrix mode, won't I, with the front left and right unchanged?

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #205 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

I already got cold feet, so before committing any funds I have a buddy coming tomorrow with a 10K solid state preamp to hear for myself how the SS stacks up.

Just did a shootoout between the Six Shooter and the $10K Jungson JA-10 solid state preamp. The differences were not subtle. The JA-10 was far more dynamic and "in your face" than the SS. Instruments had more "attack". On Paul Desmond's soprano saxophone even to the point of being fatiguing and making you want to turn the volume down. But, this being a live recording, I believe it was simply a more realistic rendition of what transpired on the stage. The dynamics on drums, bass and piano just made the music sound a lot more realistic. The best example was Clapton's "old love" on the 24 nights album. Never sounded as good before.

Interestingly, it could indeed be the case you are not getting these goodies (dynamics and low frequency slam) on a $5,000 tube preamp, and may have to look at more expensive tubes or high end solid state to best the six shooter. In any case, based on my experience, I'm definitely in the market for a preamp upgrade - just not sure if I should try something like an Aethetix Calypso or a Pass Labs XP-10 (or XP-20) first.
edorr is offline  
post #206 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Montreal region, Canada
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

so I just want to see if a substantial improvement can be achieved for a reasonable outlay.

It is usually the other way around

Quote:


If I may ask, what 2 channel preamp have you compared the six shooter with?

Mcintosh C-42. The SS was less colored than the MAC. I never heard a more dynamic sound from analog out to the SS, with the HT pre-amp that i've tried with HDMI.
audiman is offline  
post #207 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

Mcintosh C-42. The SS was less colored than the MAC. I never heard a more dynamic sound from analog out to the SS, with the HT pre-amp that i've tried with HDMI.

I just went back to listen on the SS to the tracks I listen to on the Jungson JA-10 earlier this afternoon, and the SS is smoother in the high frequencies, and indeed devoid of any coloring. However, in terms of dynamics and bass slam, the SS cannot hold hold a candle to the Jungson. The six shooter sounds like I would imagine a very good passive preamp would sound like, which is consistent with Bulldoggers experience who commented a while ago he could not distinguish it from the Placette passive.

I think if I get a 5K Solid State pre I will be giving up some transparency and get more dynamics in return. If I get a 5K tube I will keep the transparency without getting the dynamics (i.e. a lateral move). Getting the added dynamics without loosing some transparency may indeed require something more in the 10K+ MSRP range.
edorr is offline  
post #208 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

My understanding is that the CB3 HD doesn't have Circle Surround. I'll also have the option of using a Matrix mode, won't I, with the front left and right unchanged?

If you use PLII Music mode, and set Center Width to max, it leaves the front channels alone.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #209 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Member
 
kenlong69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Was that channel working before the upgrade? Is there any relation between the time of the blown Dreadnaught channel and the dac output? Have you tried resetting the CBIII by turning off the main power?

Hey Bulldogger,

Yes the channel was working before the upgrade. Yes, I tried hard booting the CB3HD. No change.

Does anyone know the new procedure for changing DAC assignments?

Cheers,
Ken
kenlong69 is offline  
post #210 of 7277 Old 02-19-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 View Post

Hey Bulldogger,

Yes the channel was working before the upgrade. Yes, I tried hard booting the CB3HD. No change.

Does anyone know the new procedure for changing DAC assignments?

Cheers,
Ken

If you PM me I will send you the document explaining how to do it. It is very easy and foolproof.
edorr is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off