Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #2431 of 7341 Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Her siblings, including the Krell HTS that she's replacing. Yes Sanjay , that's my turntable with Koetsu Rosewood (talk about an equalizer!).
Camera: Canon 1D, lens: Canon 35mm 1.4.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 7341 Old 09-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Congrats and enjoy!! You beat me, hope to have mine soon.

Ps. Nice camera you have too!
post #2433 of 7341 Old 09-21-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

OTOH, if something like the "Dirac" curve is widely judged to be sounding "right" or "accurate" (give or take a few Db), there may not be that much variance in engineering intent.

Some big assumptions to consider:

1. All engineers are capable enough to create the curve.

2. All engineers calibrate the sound of the studio (to match the desired curve) before they start recording, mixing and equing (otherwise their applied eq will ignore the effects of the speakers and room).

And then there is the question of the target curve...Universal???

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #2434 of 7341 Old 09-21-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:

I think you are drawing the wrong conclusion from the genelec data. The 164 wildely different response curves do not reflect "the engineer's intent". They are simply the "in room" respone curve for the same speaker in 164 different spaces before any EQ has been applied.

"A total of 372 loudspeakers in 164 professional monitoring rooms around the world have been measured after acoustical calibration." That's the very first line from the Genelec research paper that the graph comes from: http://www.genelec.com/pdf/aes19th.pdf

As RUR said, studios typically use equalization during mixing, not for room correction (which is recent technology). And, unlike the film industry, the music business has no standardization. That's why some CDs are noticeably louder than others: there isn't even a reference level for recording. Think about that. Forget everything else about being accurate to the engineer's intent, something as basic as setting the correct volume level during playback is impossible because it's an unknown.
Quote:

The problem is that wihout EQ in the studio they would produce vastly different mixes to express that intent, depending on which studio they worked in. They would compensate for the room response curve with their ears, and a mix created in the bass shy studio would come out very bass heavy. What it would sound like in a random listeners room would be a complete crapshoot.

Exactly. Crapshoot indeed. You're describing the very reasons why so much variation exists from CD to CD. And that was the whole point of Genelec's paper and Sean Olive's article.
Quote:

OTOH, if something like the "Dirac" curve is widely judged to be sounding "right" or "accurate" (give or take a few Db), there may not be that much variance in engineering intent.

Who judged the tilted response to be "accurate"? Audio researchers would know better than to make such an unsupportable claim. DTS arrived at a tilt based on how much reflected energy listeners heard (more in the low frequencies, less in the high frequencies). Lyngdorf found that listeners thought a tilted response sounded more natural in timbre. When Harman did listener tests, they discovered that not only was a tilted response preferred, but it was also perceived as flat. In the research I've seen on this topic, an abstract notion like "accuracy" hasn't even been mentioned.

Sanjay
post #2435 of 7341 Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

Yes Sanjay , that's my turntable

I was about to ask why you had such a weird looking laserdisc player. Actually, I spent most of my life listening to vinyl, which included frequent trips to the local Rhino Records store when I live in West Los Angeles. Meanwhile, congrats on the CB3HD.

Sanjay
post #2436 of 7341 Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sanjay,

"Forget everything else about being accurate to the engineer's intent, something as basic as setting the correct volume level during playback is impossible because it's an unknown."

And when volume is known (movies) how many people knowingly deviate from that reference volume level?

Shawn
post #2437 of 7341 Old 09-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Got my baby in the system finally and did some preliminary setup per the Quick Start manual, at 2 am last night! Still no listening test yet .

Here are more siblings:
Front row: Dan D'Agostino - Krell 600 and Araron 4004 - for main and subwoofer.
Back row: David Reich - Classe DR 10's and Classe CA 400 - for surrounds and alternate main. I switch between Classe 400 and Krell 600 per my mood (personal preference , I would admit). Note how the Krell dwarfs even the Classe 400 in physical size.
The little blue thing in the corner is a Cotter step up transformer - very rare and an early audiophile artifact :-). Google it for some fun reading.

Sanjay, note how far away my front speakers are from the front wall - 5-6 feet. You gave me the explanation for why I have preferred my speakers so far from front wall (front reflections = bad). I like it that I had "achieved" that approach by listening - and now have an explanation.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 & 3914
post #2438 of 7341 Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Question for the Theta experts regarding setup please. It seems like speaker levels and delays are setup twice. First in the general setup, then repeated again in Dolby and DTS setup. The levels are then added together. I don't understand this at all.

Page 27 of manual - general setup section: The center and left/right surround speaker levels and delays can be different for Dolby Digital and DTS sources. There are separate setup submenus designed just for those modes. When the mode is Dolby Digital or DTS, the center and surround delays will work together with changes made in the above Delays submenu. The values of the levels set in the Dolby Digital and DTS Setup submenus will be added to (or subtraced from) the level values in the SETUP/INP/LVLS submenu.

Page 67 of manual (Dolby setup section): For example: if the center level in this (Dolby) submenu is set to -2 and the center level in the (general) Setup/Inp/Levels submenu were set to +3, the overall center level, when the Mode for the currently input is Dolby Digital would be +1.

Why would you want to have different delays and loudness levels for Dolby and DTS, in addition to your basic setup? Your basic setup is done with an SPL meter already, why would you want different values under Dolby?

Regards, Can
post #2439 of 7341 Old 09-22-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Why would you want to have different delays and loudness levels for Dolby and DTS, in addition to your basic setup? Your basic setup is done with an SPL meter already, why would you want different values under Dolby?

Not sure but there are 2 different decoders and both have to be set. You can copy the settings from I believe input 1.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #2440 of 7341 Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Not sure but there are 2 different decoders and both have to be set. You can copy the settings from I believe input 1.

Thanks, besides the above question, looks like I might have to go into a deeper diagnostic mode. I don't seem to have any output from my Extreme card (main l & r, sub, and center). I got sound only in the surround channel, which is the Premium card.

I have no problem with lock up with any input, the HDMI passes through to projector the image just fine, just got no sound from the Extreme card, either by using music cd, dvd disc, or blu-ray.
I've tried the internal noise generator - same thing.
I use same cables that I've tested out with the Krell HTS - so cabling is not a problem.

Is there a hard reset button anywhere? Otherwise - good thing I am just a drive away from Theta central.
Also, on a *typical* digital source, what is the *typical* ballpark numerical range of the volume control? Just don't want to blow my speakers accidentally. TIA

Regards, Can
post #2441 of 7341 Old 09-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

I was about to ask why you had such a weird looking laserdisc player. Actually, I spent most of my life listening to vinyl, which included frequent trips to the local Rhino Records store when I live in West Los Angeles. Meanwhile, congrats on the CB3HD.

Thanks. Small world: In the 90's my "playground" was Aron's on Highland, West Hollywood. On breaks, my colleagues would have lunch, etc., I knew I was heading elsewhere. Hours at a time!

Armand, thanks. Too bad I won't be able to take a listen yet - something might be loose inside. :-)

Regards, Can
post #2442 of 7341 Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Go to post 1603 and see if that helps

post #2443 of 7341 Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Liked: 10
Can,

Hope you assigned inputs fine :-) You can talk to Theta support. If it means your unit has to go to Theta-Jeff is pretty quick and he can arrange for a time for you to drop it off and get someone to take a look while you are there

Regards,
Kishore
post #2444 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

looks like I might have to go into a deeper diagnostic mode. I don't seem to have any output from my Extreme card (main l & r, sub, and center). I got sound only in the surround channel, which is the Premium card.

I would first check to see what channels the Casablanca reports seeing in the DAC 1 slot.

Press setup button on remote once.
Button 5 should be the DAC CONFIG button, press once to read your Extreme card in slot one.
You can press the A/D button to read slot two and once again to read slot 3

It sounds like your DAC 1 slot should read LEFT, RIGHT, CEN, SUB 1
This being the case, if it reads anything other then this, your first slot may need to be reconfigured.
It is also possible that the DAC card may not be seated properly.

Quote:

is there a hard reset button anywhere? Otherwise - good thing I am just a drive away from Theta central.

That would be the on/off switch on the back panel.
Typically, I think most users turn this switch off for 15 seconds or more when attempting to perform a reset.

Quote:

, on a *typical* digital source, what is the *typical* ballpark numerical range of the volume control? Just don't want to blow my speakers accidentally. TIA

This is difficult to say since there is actually no "typical" volume.
The master volume control goes to 72 or 73 but the volume itself is relative to the Speaker LVL control and DD & DTS levels you mentioned in your previous post.

For instance, with the Speakers LVLs set to "0" and the master volume set to 60 you may get 75db from your speakers.
But with the Speaker LVLS set to +10 and the master volume set this time to 50, you may also get 75db.
So, the master volume level is dependent upon where the Speaker Levels are set.
The DD and DTS level settings will also add or subtract db's from the master volume level.

With your Krell amp for instance, a master volume level on the CB-IIIHD in the upper 60's, and with the speaker levels set to "0" or higher, you are almost certain to blow a tweeter on various different brands/models of speaker.
I've limited the "max" master volume level control on my CB-IIIHD to 60, just to be safe on my particular system.
Your setup may be able to handle more or less volume, but figuring out your max and where you feel safe will be part of your personal learning curve.

Given your current problem, I would leave the speaker level controls, DD & DTS levels set to "0", the default, and not raise the master level past the low teens until the problem is resolved.
That is more then loud enough to hear if the speakers are working and hopefully not loud enough to hurt a tweeter in the unlikely event that something really strange happens.

I'd almost bet your problem will be easy to sort out relatively quickly without bringing it back to Theta. At any rate, good luck wit it bud

TURN IT UP!
post #2445 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

1. I would first check to see what channels the Casablanca reports seeing in the DAC 1 slot.
It sounds like your DAC 1 slot should read LEFT, RIGHT, CEN, SUB 1
2. That would be the on/off switch on the back panel.
Typically, I think most users turn this switch off for 15 seconds or more when attempting to perform a reset.
3. With your Krell amp for instance, a master volume level on the CB-IIIHD in the upper 60's, and with the speaker levels set to "0" or higher, you are almost certain to blow a tweeter on various different brands/models of speaker.
I've limited the "max" master volume level control on my CB-IIIHD to 60, just to be safe on my particular system.

1. Did this alread; Extreme card is reported with correct names.
2. Did this; no change.
3. This is what I need, thanks.
4. BTW, any comment on my question above in post 2438 regarding why you would need to set Dolby and DTS speaker level and speaker delay to add to the general setup using SPL meter already?
Thanks for you help.

Kishore and BD - thanks. I've checked both speaker on/off and input assignment, pretty sure neither is the problem. BTW, front left and right speaker cannot be turned off (off is not an option for the front left and right). Re. input, on blu-ray input with HDMI assigned for example, I hear the rear channel and "DTS Master Audio" reported on the display, so it seems I am ok with the input. I hope I am not committing a "noob's mistake," but I've been through everything a few times already and don't see any error. The only other thing unusual is when I turned on the Theta for 1st time and before I did anything, there was that small clicking noise in surround channel, but I don't hear that anymore.

Regards, Can
post #2446 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried both coax and hdmi inputs?

post #2447 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks, besides the above question, looks like I might have to go into a deeper diagnostic mode. I don't seem to have any output from my Extreme card (main l & r, sub, and center). I got sound only in the surround channel, which is the Premium card.

Very likely a card issue, but you can conclusively determine if this is a card problem or a CBIII HD problem by swapping the cards - if your Premium does not produce sound in the Xtreme slot, it is a CBIII HD problem, if it does it is a card problem. Instead of physically changing card slots, you can also try changing the assigments in the setup menu. In the very unlikely event this gives you sound on your surrounds from the Xtreme card and nothing on the Premium, this would indicate a CBIII problem. However, if this does not give you sound on the Xtreme, it could still be a CBIII problem (with the physical connection in the current Xtreme slot). Only way to rule this out is to swap the cards.
post #2448 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Try the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach once more.

Go into the menu and make sure the front left and right speakers are turned on to whatever crossover you want.

Also in the menu make sure the Six Shooter is set to off, since you have no Six Shooter.

Then turn off from the front (puts unit in standby). Then turn off from the rear. Leave off 30 seconds. Turn back on from rear. Turn back on from front. Pray for 10 seconds. Put something on. And good luck!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #2449 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Didn't you make your cables? Are you sure they are correct?

Shawn
post #2450 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfogg View Post

Didn't you make your cables? Are you sure they are correct?

Shawn

That certainly fits my "KISS" theory of what to do when you have AV problems!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #2451 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Shawn/BB52/EdOrr/BD/Steve/everyone for trying to help. It wasn't me after all - couldn't be, I am a 20 year veteran of cable shootouts, cartridge shootouts, etc., the works! Dave Reich emailed and suggested what EdOrr mentioned: assign the channels of the so far silent Extreme card to the working Premium card and see what happens. Boom I had the diagnosis: the Extreme Card is malfunctioning and that's why those channels are silent. BTW above sounds simple but you don't know the *hours* I've spent trouble-shooting my poor Theta baby and reading that thick *&^%$#@ manual. I am probably expert level now LOL & will have more questions to ask later.

Preliminary test therefore was done using left, right, center, & subwoofer on Premium card, without surround speakers. Rest of my system: Thiel speakers all around, 2 Apogee subwoofers, each the size of a small refrigerator :-), and the old processor, a Krell HTS that costs 6-8k (don't remember exact #) when new 10 years ago. I tested 2 channel music using a simple, quiet song to evaluate voice/piano: Cat Stevens - Morning Has Broken, with all processing and subwoofer off. I tested hometheater performance using opening sequence of Gladiator, first simple music, then voice, then all hell breaks loose. Both discs extremely familiar to me. This is a very preliminary first impression (sometimes the most reliable - as you switch from one long term component to another) so please take with a grain of salt. I am sure I will have more to add, or even correct myself, once I have more time and with both cards functioning.

Hometheater - initial impression using DTS 5.1 (*non* HD) on DVD for comparison to old Krell:
1. The Casablanca is an extremely "powerful" and "full" sounding processor, even with the least expensive card in the lineup, the Premium card. In this aspect the Theta is overwhelmingly better than my poor Krell - which sounds quite thin in comparison. Really and truly the subjective sense of "dynamics" is off the charts. The bass sounds deep & gives that queasiness sensation, yet remains "clean" and doesn't muddle the sound. Low frequency sounds like it comes from the center of the earth, powerful to the point of taking on a threatening character (opening sequence of Gladiator). In other words, not like the lump thump thump one note cheap bass of a poorly designed small subwoofer.
2. Voice is very very "full bodied" and isolated in space without harshness, yet has good details.Voice through Krell HTS could sometimes sound thin and take on a nasal tone. I am very happy to report that the Theta is a huge improvement: the voice of the Roman general giving signal for his soldiers to "unleash hell" sounds fuller, less "electronicy," more real. I do realize the word "thin" has appeared many times in my Theta vs. Krell comparison. It's a revelation.
3. Soundstage: breathtakingly 3D. Perhaps more than any other aspect, thi

2 channel music (I like to test w/ 2 channels so evaluation is not muddled by so many speakers/variables.): If you have compared a great high end processor to a cheaper mass market cd player, then I don't need to add anything here. Poorly designed players tend to have more upper-mid and high frequency character in their sound, tend to smear the image, tend to make piano sound clangy and de-focus other instruments, etc. OTOH, a good processor may at first sound less exciting, but shines with long term listening: smooth, full bodied voice, clean non-smearing image, 3 dimensional sound stage (I've found this observation to hold true with "good" vs. "bad" power amps as well.), That is how I would describe a comparison between the Krell HTS and Theta Casablanca.

Many years ago the original Theta processors, Theta Pro and Pro Basic, shook the high-end world with their silky smooth voice, startling 3 dimensional sound-stage with pin-point imaging, and off-the-charts low frequency response - both quality and prodigious quantity. It doesn't look like much has changed. I recall reading that the secret to the Theta sound is that the great digital design is matched with an ultra high-end approach to the power supply (always un-usually robust) and outstanding analog output stage - in other words, the analog design contributes just as much to the sound. With a talented designer like David Reich at the helm (for those who don't know, Classe's well respected DR series of amps bear his initials - see my pictures above), I am fairly certain this approach has not changed. Whether the explanation is true, the result is very much the same: extraordinary sound quality. I regret waiting this long to get a Casablanca.

Regards, Can
post #2452 of 7341 Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can, I'm new to AVS Forum, but not new to Theta. I, have a CBIII (Non-HD). I'm sorry to hear about ur set-back. This will taste even better upon replacement of ur Extreme DAC. I started out with just 2 Standard Balanced DACs when I purchased my CBIII. Man, I thought that I was cookin' after firing up my new CBIII. Little did I realize that there was yet, more and better to come. I have since upgraded one of my DACs to 1 Extreme. WOW!!! I have Dynaudio speakers in my theater driven by Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) VK-6200, ML Sub, AQ cables (Volcano up front w/Wild Blue Yonder for interconnects. Any idea of ETR (Estimated time of repair)? As u probably know, the DACs are fairly easy to install. And, with all of the collective knowledge on line, there will be nothing to it! Good luck. Looking forward to hearing the outcome.
post #2453 of 7341 Old 09-24-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Does anyone know the cryptic decoding of the formats with the new HDMI upgrade?

It would be nice to display how many channels are being input. Is it Mono, 2 channel, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1
post #2454 of 7341 Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my baby in the system finally and did some preliminary setup per the Quick Start manual, at 2 am last night! Still no listening test yet .

Here are more siblings:
Front row: Dan D'Agostino - Krell 600 and Araron 4004 - for main and subwoofer.
Back row: David Reich - Classe DR 10's and Classe CA 400 - for surrounds and alternate main. I switch between Classe 400 and Krell 600 per my mood (personal preference , I would admit). Note how the Krell dwarfs even the Classe 400 in physical size.
The little blue thing in the corner is a Cotter step up transformer - very rare and an early audiophile artifact :-). Google it for some fun reading.

All good stuff!

post #2455 of 7341 Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

It would be nice to display how many channels are being input. Is it Mono, 2 channel, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1

I think, the owners can confirm, you get that. It does 7.1 discrete if that's what's on the Blu-ray. The post processing is the issues for stuff that's 5.1 and expanded to 7.1, well 6.1 in the CBIIIHD.

post #2456 of 7341 Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Shawn/BB52/EdOrr/BD/Steve/everyone for trying to help. It wasn't me after all - couldn't be, I am a 20 year veteran of cable shootouts, cartridge shootouts, etc., the works! This is a very preliminary first impression (sometimes the most reliable

Yes, you asked a lot of questions. I assumed the problem was something with the Casablanca. With the Xtreme dacs, you will get a stronger, "presence," with the sound. It's like there is more "there" there. I also noticed better note decay with the Xtremes. I switched from the Superior II which I liked. The Xtremes pushed the sound past a line that so far no other processor I have owned can cross.

post #2457 of 7341 Old 09-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

A few notes on CBIII HD's setup tricks/issues/questions:

Having gone through CB3 HD's manual too many times, endured a few too many a-ha moments, and having to do too many various checks and tests of combinations of settings so I could understand what's going on, I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience here, while the headache is raging and the memory fresh.
I hope this will be helpful to other first timers like me. Please don't even try to read this unless you're sitting in front of one with a remote in your hands. Anyone pls correct me as needed - I'll update it to reflect correction.

Reset to Factory Default: Page 80 of manual. Turns out there is one in case you want to go back to factory settings. The sequence of buttons to push: Setup/3 (Macros)/3 (Restore Factory). Then you could reset either Input(s), or Global, or Everything.

Status: Not important, just neat. If you want to see what signal exactly your CB is seeing, this button shows how many channels are being received, sampling rate, etc. Buttons: Status/and then A-D for more.

Message Displaying: Page 49 and 79 of manual. Not turned on in factory default mode. To turn on, Setup/2 (Global)/A-D/2/arrow up or down. Good to turn it on because then the Theta gives you a message when it receives Dolby Digital, or DTS Digital, or what have you.

Lock Light: Doesn't light up with HDMI signal (eg my Oppo blu ray player's HDMI cable) even when there is a lock. Only lights up with Coax or Optical digital signal (eg my Sonic Frontiers cd transrport's digital RCA cable).

Default Mode: Setup/1 (Input)/5 (Mode). Confusing at first. This "default mode" applies only when your input is good old "regular" 2 channel, not Dolby Digital 2 channel, not Dolby Digital 5.1, not DTS 5.1, not DTS HD, etc. While the factory sets this at "Matrix," I would change it to "Stereo," simply because it's less confusing during initial setup and testing. Change it to something else later once you are used to the system and know what's going on.

Six Shooter: Page 74 of manual. Curiously, factory default is "3" - probably should be "off" instead. The strange thing is, even when set to 3, it's not a problem: I have sound coming out of the Theta. In other words, either of these 2 settings (3 or off) seems ok; but I did turn it off for safety. Comments welcome as I've never had a 6 shooter.

Delay Settings:
If you recall a few post ago, I asked why it is that there are two separate settings for individual speaker levels: 1. global, and then 2. Dolby Digital. (The final level that you hear is actually a sum of these 2 settings. Probably this is done for those who want to super tweak their system.)
Same thing with delays: there is a global setting, and then there is a Dolby Digital setting. It's also a little tricky to understand at first and was a big a-ha moment for me once I realize what was going on. But first, go to your Casa 3HD and try the following 2 sequences:
1. Setup/1 (Input)/3 (Delays): What you see are the default delay settings, zero for every speaker, except the surround, which is at plus 15. You cannot go below 15 on surround, and you cannot go negative on the other speakers (Think about this and it will make sense, bottom line: the reference point is 15 of the surround speakers, adjust the *other* speakers around this 15, anywhere from 0 to 30.).
2. Setup/1 (Input)/A-D/2/A-D: What you see are the default delay settings for Dolby: only 2 parameters are available, center and the surround. The center is set at zero, the surround is set at minus fifteen..
I could see that there is a deliberate attempt to make the surround speakers's global delay of plus 15 be canceled out by the dolby digital minus 15. But what I don't understand is how then do you set up, say, the main speakers. If the main speakers are 2 ms further from listener than the surrounds, do you set it at 2, or do you set it at 17? This doesn't make sense to me and I think I will have to call Theta on this.

Regards, Can
post #2458 of 7341 Old 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Cannga did you get your Casablanca working for all channels?

post #2459 of 7341 Old 09-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Cannga did you get your Casablanca working for all channels?

No. Theta will have to send me another Extreme card. When they do, I would like to set up so that I could A:B compare. This is my plan:

Assign same channels, L-R-Center-Sub to both Premium and Extreme cards.
2 stereo cables, one from Premium to my CJ preamp, another from Extreme to another input on my CJ preamp.
Feed cd signal and compare the 2 cards by switching inputs of CJ.

Is it ok to assign the same channels to both cards?

Regards, Can
post #2460 of 7341 Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Jim, I don't know if this answers your question, but look at my post above, the part about "Status."

Regards, Can
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page