Hearing loss - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I woke up on Tuesday with almost complete hearing loss of the upper octaves in my left ear, tinnitus, and fullness in my left ear. It completely destroys the ability to localize higher frequency sound, but fortunately doesn't impair my ability to recognize speech.
I immediately sought medical attention. Diagnosis is "Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (ISSHL)". There a 2 in 3 chance I'll have some improvement with treatment. I'll likely be stuck with tinnitus, or should I say a higher level of tinnitus that I've experienced before. Fortunately, I sought medical attention early, because response to therapy is twice as good with early intervention. The bad news is high doses of steroid for at least two or three weeks.
My 'high end' days may be over. No point in expensive audio gadgets if you can't localize sound to even close to the right location. The good news is that I caught it early enough that with any amount of luck it shouldn't cause hearing loss in the speech frequencies. Thus, likely my career is safe, and I'll have no 'impairment'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

I woke up on Tuesday with almost complete hearing loss of the upper octaves in my left ear, tinnitus, and fullness in my left ear. It completely destroys the ability to localize higher frequency sound, but fortunately doesn't impair my ability to recognize speech.
I immediately sought medical attention. Diagnosis is "Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (ISSHL)". There a 2 in 3 chance I'll have some improvement with treatment. I'll likely be stuck with tinnitus, or should I say a higher level of tinnitus that I've experienced before. Fortunately, I sought medical attention early, because response to therapy is twice as good with early intervention. The bad news is high doses of steroid for at least two or three weeks.
My 'high end' days may be over. No point in expensive audio gadgets if you can't localize sound to even close to the right location. The good news is that I caught it early enough that with any amount of luck it shouldn't cause hearing loss in the speech frequencies. Thus, likely my career is safe, and I'll have no 'impairment'.

I have had hearing problems over the last year and I can't tell you enough how good it is you went early. If you went within 3 days you have a much better chance of getting things good again.

My only other advise is get some Vitamin B and high dose Magnesium supplements and take them ASAP. The Magnesium is supposed to help with hearing and I found it has made mine a lot better.

Goodluck and I hope things get better.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #3 of 28 Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

I have had hearing problems over the last year and I can't tell you enough how good it is you went early. If you went within 3 days you have a much better chance of getting things good again.

My only other advise is get some Vitamin B and high dose Magnesium supplements and take them ASAP. The Magnesium is supposed to help with hearing and I found it has made mine a lot better.

Goodluck and I hope things get better.

It couldn't hurt. Any specific B vitamin or dose of Magnesium?
post #4 of 28 Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I received a PM asking more about the disease. I decided to post for all interested parties to read.

ISSHL is an idiopathic disease, which means that the cause (or etiology) is unknown. The usual suspects are viral infection, auto-immune, vascular. The standard presentation is tinnitus (ringing in ears), fullness, and decreased hearing. The vast majority of cases are unilateral, (one sided) although 2% of cases affect both ears. It can happen at any age, but is most common in the 35-55 age group. The hearing loss can be minor or profound.
A significant minority of cases are self limiting, that is gets better on it's own. The average time to improvement is 4 days in those cases. There are some reasonably good studies that show that early treatment with high dose prednisone markedly improves outcomes, and generally that means treatment starts within 72 hours of presentation. Patients with profound hearing loss (more than 60db of loss across 3 standard measurement frequencies) do not respond as well as those with lessor impairment.
The addition of a inner ear steroid injection may or may not help, the studies are mixed. Patients with more than two weeks of hearing loss generally have permanent hearing loss. Persistent tinnitus is common in all groups.

In my case, I had a 40-50db loss at 6K and 8K compared to my other ear. Audiologist don't measure beyond 8K because there is no functional impairment with hearing loss above those frequencies. Hearing loss in freq below 6K is extremely important understanding language. Thus, from a truly functionalal aspect, I was sort of lucky. Although, there is one caveat, in that I called my ENT first thing in the mourning, literally within hours of my presentation, and started steroids immediately because they were readily available. I had my hearing tested much later that day, and had already noted some improvement in lower pitched sounds.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
The docs sure it isn't Meniere's? No dizziness or balance issues? The onset would be atypically rapid but it isn't unheard of.

post #6 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Taking the steroids are a given with ear problems, I was just suggesting something you can do.

As for doses, I take 400mg a day, but twice that for a few days should not hurt. And a the dose for vitamin B, twice the daily allowance should be ok. I would cheak with your Dr to make sure that you can take them. It is fine for me, but everybody is different.

My build thread

post #7 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

The docs sure it isn't Meniere's? No dizziness or balance issues? The onset would be atypically rapid but it isn't unheard of.

No vertigo, no dizziness, no gait disturbance.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i lost my right ear (hearing and balance organ) almost 3 years ago after i have this
problem 3 times in my live but THIS time the hearing not comes back
and tinitus is 105 db today after 3 years!

but even worse than lost hearing and that means no surround any more as you
cant detect where the sound comes from is that i also lost my balance organ.

i had seasick for more than 1 year 24 hours a day cant walk need a wheel chair
and vomit about 10 times a day for over 1.5 years.

however seams my brain learn to deal with it and after 2 years most of the balance
problems are gone.

no way to treat this inner ear infact i try everything.
i contac a germay professor that works at nasa and do there the vertigo
training for the astronauts.
he told me that there is no way that i will get my hearing or the balance organ back
after i lost it over 3 months.
he was right about this and right about that he told me as i was below 50
90% my brain will to learn to reprogramm itself to learn to live with one balance organ.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Wow, that is not good. I hope things get better.

My build thread

post #10 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 04:42 PM

I hope you regain all of your loss best wishes for a speedy recovery, and as for the Tinnutis well if you are stuck I just hope you can learn to deal I have had Tinnutis for ten plus years now and as I type this the ringing is louder than the keyboard, some days I just try to tune it out but other days it is down right annoying like tonight for example we are getting a low pressure weather system that is wreaking havock with my whole persona due to the Tinnutis,I have been using Niacin as a regular supplement to my diet and I believe it helps greatly.
Interesting that W Mayer says he has a level of 105 db when it is immeasurable as far as I know, hmm, very interesting indeed.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post

Interesting that the OP says he has a level of 105 db when it is immeasurable as far as I know, hmm, very interesting indeed.

That was not the OP, but Tinnutis is measured subjectively. They play sounds a certain levels until it drowns out the Tinnutis. They then measure the Db that the sound drowned it out and that is about the level that you hear Tinnutis. Hope that helps?

My build thread

post #12 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM

Liked: 10
Another sufferer here. When it happened to me, I also suffered problems with balance and had to retire to bed for 3 days unable to move without throwing up. The balance improved gradually although it's still not brilliant. I also have permanent hearing loss of about 50% and Tinnitus in my left ear after 2+ years so I don't expect any improvement now. PET and MRI scans failed to find any kind of cause so now all I can pray is that it doesn't happen to the other ear.

At least there is no point investing in additional DAC channels for my CB3 even if I do opt for the HDMI upgrade!
post #13 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhitehouse View Post

Another sufferer here. When it happened to me, I also suffered problems with balance and had to retire to bed for 3 days unable to move without throwing up. The balance improved gradually although it's still not brilliant. I also have permanent hearing loss of about 50% and Tinnitus in my left ear after 2+ years so I don't expect any improvement now. PET and MRI scans failed to find any kind of cause so now all I can pray is that it doesn't happen to the other ear.

At least there is no point investing in additional DAC channels for my CB3 even if I do opt for the HDMI upgrade!

I think you will hear dynamic range with Tinittus. I have moderate tinnitus in the left ear after a certain traumatic night in October 16? 2004, I blame what must have been a stress related mini-stroke, Boy would I love to sue the group of people that caused it.

Your life is not the same with it.
post #14 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I think you will hear dynamic range with Tinittus. I have moderate tinnitus in the left ear after a certain traumatic night in October 16? 2004, I blame what must have been a stress related mini-stroke, Boy would I love to sue the group of people that caused it.

Your life is not the same with it.

Mild tinnitus doesn't really have a detrimental effect on hearing. Having one ear that partially deaf is a totally different situation.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I understand sorry to hear.....
post #16 of 28 Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

That was not the OP, but Tinnutis is measured subjectively. They play sounds a certain levels until it drowns out the Tinnutis. They then measure the Db that the sound drowned it out and that is about the level that you hear Tinnutis. Hope that helps?

Fixed that typo, thanks.
post #17 of 28 Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM

I have had tinnitus plus severe hearing loss on my right ear for the past five years. My life changed greatly after that and especially at the beginning it was true torture, which made everyday sounds difficult to bear. I have taken every vitamin or prescription drug there is in order to reduce the high-pitched noise in my head, but nothing worked. Has anyone given hypnosis or low level laser therapy a shot? Any positive results? I just wish I had more appreciation of the sound of silence, when I could actually still enjoy it!
post #18 of 28 Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM

I'm not a regular, especially in this forum, but I saw the post and had to respond. I wish you the best with your hearing. Due to tmj I have alot of high frequency (about 9khz or so) in both ears, mostly my left. Also tinnitus that is pretty unbearable at times. I'm 25 now, but this started right around my 17th birthday. It's a struggle some days but what isn't, right? I hope things get better for you. The main thing is your proactive and caught things early. Can't make up a better reason for huge subwoofers, I guess.
post #19 of 28 Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a follow-up hearing test today to measure my response to treatment. My hearing had greatly improved. The tinnitus is a bit worse but I only hear it in very quite environments. I also can start tapering the steroid.
post #20 of 28 Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by humax View Post

I have had tinnitus plus severe hearing loss on my right ear for the past five years. My life changed greatly after that and especially at the beginning it was true torture, which made everyday sounds difficult to bear. I have taken every vitamin or prescription drug there is in order to reduce the high-pitched noise in my head, but nothing worked. Has anyone given hypnosis or low level laser therapy a shot? Any positive results? I just wish I had more appreciation of the sound of silence, when I could actually still enjoy it!

Unfortunately, once the damage is done and time passes, there is not much that can be done.

These days, there are promising studies that are suggesting that if you act quickly, at least within 72 hours of the incident your chances of hearing improving greatly increases. Steroids are the first line of attack, but it is also promising that taking high does's of magnesium supplements within the first 72 hours have been documented to help with hearing loss. Also taking magnesium in regular recomended does's with help hearing sensitivity and hearing loss prevention.

I hope this helps.

My build thread

post #21 of 28 Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I had a follow-up hearing test today to measure my response to treatment. My hearing had greatly improved. The tinnitus is a bit worse but I only hear it in very quite environments. I also can start tapering the steroid.

Good to hear. The benefits of catching something like this early.

My build thread

post #22 of 28 Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, once the damage is done and time passes, there is not much that can be done.

These days, there are promising studies that are suggesting that if you act quickly, at least within 72 hours of the incident your chances of hearing improving greatly increases. Steroids are the first line of attack, but it is also promising that taking high does's of magnesium supplements within the first 72 hours have been documented to help with hearing loss. Also taking magnesium in regular recomended does's with help hearing sensitivity and hearing loss prevention.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer. I have tried magnesium and vitamin B and did not notice any real improvement. I guess results vary with everyone. The reason I ask again is because I found this link on the web that got me intrigued and just thought I'd ask what everyone thought about low level laser therapy devices. I am really itchy to try one, but I have not found any hands-on reports they do work plus they don't come cheap.

http://www.tinnitool.com/en/therapie...iten/index.php
post #23 of 28 Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 PM

While the animal and cellular studies of low level laser therapy suggest potential, virtually all of the human studies looking at LLL for a variety of different applications showed no clinical effect (just do a search on low level laser on the NIH's database Pubmed.) The web site you found refers to "clinical studies" that are mostly crap, with low numbers and poor methodology, and of course they did not mention the studies with LLL and tinnitus that did not show any difference. My opinion is to save your money. Interestingly, a recent 2007 meta analysis of studies looking at the use of steroids for this only found two that were randomized and placebo controlled, one was positive, the other negative, despite the fact steroids are the standard of care for this problem.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoar View Post

. Interestingly, a recent 2007 meta analysis of studies looking at the use of steroids for this only found two that were randomized and placebo controlled, one was positive, the other negative, despite the fact steroids are the standard of care for this problem.

A short course of steroids is fairly benign. In my case my hearing is reasonably close to what it was before it happened. I acknowledge that it may have resolved without the steroids, but why take the chance.

Regards,
post #25 of 28 Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This happened to me several years ago, also idiopathic. They tested for everything, including a tumor, and could not definitively find the cause. After several days I regained hearing in my ear but the drugs(including nose spray) completely screwed up my sense of taste for a time.

Steve Goff
post #26 of 28 Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have been living with 'sudden sensorineural hear loss' since April 2010, I fell asleep with earbuds playing at very low level and woke up in the morning with one still in my left ear. I immediately knew something was wrong since my the majority of my hearing was replaced by tinnitus, sounds like your holding a sea shell up to your ear.

Being hardheaded I gave it a few days before I went to the doctor, I did not like what the first ENT had to say and wanted a second opinion beside being told to take prednisone and learn to live with it. So I went to the California Ear Institute in Palo Alto, ran numerous test and steriod injection which made no difference. The hearing test revealed that the inner ear hair cells responsible for 1khz and below were non-responsive. I had a MRI as well, all the doctors say that the earbuds could not of caused it. As the first doctor mentioned, I have learned to live with it.

Initially it made life tough and the tinnitus was unbearable, I drastically changed my diet and cut out fast food, soda, ect., that made a huge difference in the noise and made it very manageable.

With all that it still has not hurt my HT enjoyment and the brain is very adaptable, I know I still have hearing loss but the brain has adapted to where bass now sounds non-directional unlike initially when I could only hear it in my right ear. It feels as tough my conductive hearing has ramped up to take place of the sensorineural hearing loss. I still hear pretty well if I plug my ears.

Long story short, I own it, it does not own me...

The cheese fell off my cracker a long time ago...
post #27 of 28 Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Whew, that's a major dip in hearing loss swampfox. I'm glad it's getting better!

A friend of mine is a guitarist, music fanatic and an audiophile (I'm an ex keyboardist, music fanatic and audiophile myself). He has very bad hearing in his left ear from all the abuse it took but it has never stopped him loving music and appreciating different high end audio gear. It's amazing what we can adjust to.

In my case I developed Tinnitus first when I was playing in a band, about 20 years ago. That sucked. But about 13 years ago I also developed Hyperacusis - a heightened sensitivity to sound. When it started all sound was irritating and it was if I was listening to everything, especially upper mid frequencies, through an amplifying bull horn. Even simply turning pages of a book while reading was irritating....let alone the idea of ever being in a loud place. Given my whole world was "sound" - a musician, an audiophile, and I did sound effects for a living, you can imagine how mortifying this was to me.

Mercifully the condition has become much more livable, and the hyperacusis is only acute occasionally. In fact despite my fears it has not impacted my ability to work in sound at all, thank goodness. Even after a 24 hour shift editing sound I never end with any problems. So I can still do what I love.

But the fact the hyperacusis and tinnitus act as a tag-team, if one isn't being bothersome the other is, is a bummer. Sometimes I lie in bed astonished at how loud the ringing in my ears is. It can feel like I'm at a concert where the sound system has been cranked only with white noise and loud ringing. But I decided long ago not to resort to band-aids like noise masking etc. I always thought then I'd become dependant upon them, and what if I had to sleep somewhere I couldn't have a sound masker? So I just got used to the sound and I can almost always ignore it, so it very rarely affects my sleep. Studies show that the degree that these issues affect one's life depends on your attitude much more than the actual hearing issue (some people can be driven nuts by slight tinnitus, others can ignore extremely loud tinnitus).

Luckily also my hearing is actually fantastic for my age, which is helpful for my sound work and for enjoying music and movies on my home theater.

But no more loud concerts for me.

Anyway, just emphasizing...

It'll get better.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you happen to develop HBP, the tinnitus can be an organic meter to alert you.

The day I ran into the emergency room with HBP, they injected me with medication, then I noticed that the tinnitus in my right ear dissapered and the high pitch on the left as well , what was left was a mid high cricket like GRGRGRRRRR noise , this is my tinnitus noise floor.

I now know when to take my medication, both ears ringing and it is medium high, cricket in the left moderately high, I can't seem to ever get a healthy reading though.

But point is the tinnitus alarm could be a life saver....
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page