Who's converting to iRule remote control? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Had dinner and a few beers with Itai last night and now I'm convinced. iRule here I come ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
iRule by duress.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Now now ... these are not the A-lens wars you know ... the control business is much more gentlemanly !
Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

I'm looking forward to seeing Itai again at CEDIA. He'll probably win me over, too
Old 06-28-2011, 03:30 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Im new to this irule to get started what else do I need ( apart from the obvious ) to control my equipment. For instance with the pronto we have the RFX9600 extender what extender does the Ipad use to control RS232 equipment?

I ended up buying a Samsung smart tv 64" for the family room which the Iphone know controls via the wireless access point does the Irule work in that simiar fashion?

Frank
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im new to this irule to get started what else do I need ( apart from the obvious ) to control my equipment. For instance with the pronto we have the RFX9600 extender what extender does the Ipad use to control RS232 equipment?

I ended up buying a Samsung smart tv 64" for the family room which the Iphone know controls via the wireless access point does the Irule work in that simiar fashion?

http://www.smarthome.com/8115/Global...er-8115/p.aspx. There is also wifi to serial units http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2slspecs/

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Thank you. I just found out that irule is not availble for us here in Aus anymore is that true?

Frank
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I just found out that irule is not availble for us here in Aus anymore is that true?

Yes. Looks like somebody named Alex has all of the right in Aus and New Zealand and you have to go through him and his guys. So much for 50.00 bucks and a couple of hundred for a gateway. It looked like Pronto was trying to shut us out too before they went down. Sure Alex is planning to charge multiples for what you could do yourself. Otherwise, why would he have to go to such lengths to insure they have a monopoly? Not buying the development cost position. How about the U.S market? Did he pay to develop that too? Think not. Sounds like what he paid for was exclusive rights. Seems like a lot of guys start stuff here as DIY and use AVS then go commercial. Hope AVS is getting some advertising if is any indication of where things are heading. DIY is one thing but when companies start selling right to entire countries, it's no longer a DIY venture.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Yes. Looks like somebody named Alex has all of the right in Aus and New Zealand and you have to go through him and his guys. So much for 50.00 bucks and a couple of hundred for a gateway. It looked like Pronto was trying to shut us out too before they went down. Sure Alex is planning to charge multiples for what you could do yourself. Otherwise, why would he have to go to such lengths to insure they have a monopoly? Not buying the development cost position. How about the U.S market? Did he pay to develop that too? Think not. Sounds like what he paid for was exclusive rights. Seems like a lot of guys start stuff here as DIY and use AVS then go commercial. Hope AVS is getting some advertising if is any indication of where things are heading. DIY is one thing but when companies start selling right to entire countries, it's no longer a DIY venture.

Thanks Bulldogger.

I will just have to let it go I'm certainly not going to pay an installer to setup my system when I can learn to do it myself as I did with the pronto. We upgrade all the time in this hobby and I couldn't keep calling them cost me too much.

Frank
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks Bulldogger.

I will just have to let it go I'm certainly not going to pay an installer to setup my system when I can learn to do it myself as I did with the pronto. We upgrade all the time in this hobby and I couldn't keep calling them cost me too much.

Too bad. You know I'm a big pronto user and am running iRule in parallel. It frankly is nowhere near as powerful with the current production version, but does work quite well. My pronto has very fast two way communications which most of us have yet to see with iRule. The level of integration with the pronto is very impressive, but you sure can run a lot of other things on an Apple device! This seems to be the future of system integration IMHO. I am even looking at changing out our home automation displays with wall mounted iPads You may want to just call the guy. He may give you a fair price and has stated that for avsforum folks he would allow you to make changes, etc. after the install SJ
Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

The issue I have is all of the guys adding graphics and commands for IR and RS232 and sharing only to have some guy who is NOT sharing have a monopoly in two countries and use it for profit. Basically, he gets a great deal and watches the system grow with a lot of free labor.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Too bad. You know I'm a big pronto user and am running iRule in parallel. It frankly is nowhere near as powerful with the current production version, but does work quite well. My pronto has very fast two way communications which most of us have yet to see with iRule. The level of integration with the pronto is very impressive, but you sure can run a lot of other things on an Apple device! This seems to be the future of system integration IMHO. I am even looking at changing out our home automation displays with wall mounted iPads You may want to just call the guy. He may give you a fair price and has stated that for avsforum folks he would allow you to make changes, etc. after the install SJ

SJ how do you run it parallel? You have me curious there.

Frank
Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

The issue I have is all of the guys adding graphics and commands for IR and RS232 and sharing only to have some guy who is NOT sharing have a monopoly in two countries and use it for profit. Basically, he gets a great deal and watches the system grow with a lot of free labor.

That's not fair!!

Frank
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I've told him he can't use my images in a commercial product without my permission.

Steve Goff
Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SJ how do you run it parallel? You have me curious there.

Use gc100 in addition to the rfx9600 for my equipment. The denon AVP which we both run actually has two Rs232 inputs. I've had to alternate in using IR for one system and rs232 for some components. In a couple of cases I've just used two IR transmitters. Of course the best way would be to input into an IR distribution block and then run the outputs to the device. Lots of options including network control which also works for some components. I can actually increase the volume using iRule and watch the volume numbers change on the pronto (networked two-way)!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Use gc100 in addition to the rfx9600 for my equipment. The denon AVP which we both run actually has two Rs232 inputs. I've had to alternate in using IR for one system and rs232 for some components. In a couple of cases I've just used two IR transmitters. Of course the best way would be to input into an IR distribution block and then run the outputs to the device. Lots of options including network control which also works for some components. I can actually increase the volume using iRule and watch the volume numbers change on the pronto (networked two-way)!

So if you had to choose between running pronto vs Ipad(irule) which would you prefer?
Thanks SJ

Frank
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:

I don't understand. How can they restrict a software app from Apple to a country? Once the app is on the device, what's to stop you?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if you had to choose between running pronto vs Ipad(irule) which would you prefer?
Thanks SJ

IMHO Pronto at this point. I have (like you), a 9800 for our dedicated theater (9600 and 9400s elsewhere in the home for other systems). I still like the size and form factor of the 9800 vs the larger iPad. The 9800 has a very slick and fast two-way communication with several components. The most important being the Denon AVP. I can see the volume, source, surround mode, transducer volume, etc. I'm still using PEPV2, but it is more powerful than ibuilder. I have run into some strange things in using ibuilder Things disappearing, etc Also, my home automation can be controlled and a bunch of other things. The pronto with it's native pronto script (and integration modules) is very efficient and fast. I'm sure iRule will evolve, but is not there yet and doesn't have the integration Now, an iPad can do so much more ( I am writing this response on it) and my family likes using their iPhones to control. They really understand the interface because it works just like other things that they are used to IRule types of software will certainly be the future. You can also use your apple device to control things away from the home. Having an iphone in your pocket and being able to control various aspects of your home is cool. I'm doing the iRule just mainly as a side project at this point because it is frankly one of the cheapest HT projects I have ever done. . Also, pronto is now out of business and I'm looking ahead. SJ
Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I don't understand. How can they restrict a software app from Apple to a country? Once the app is on the device, what's to stop you?

If the app is not on the AUS App store then you can't get it. Each country gets a different App store. There are several apps that are available in the UK that are not available here in the US.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

They are also somehow blocking the access to ibuilder using country IPs or something. SJ
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

They are also somehow blocking the access to ibuilder using country IPs or something. SJ

Looks like the the Australian dealer bought exclusivity for Australia. Not surprising... iRule has some major promise and at $49 (USA), it's the deal of deals!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

IMHO Pronto at this point. I have (like you), a 9800 for our dedicated theater (9600 and 9400s elsewhere in the home for other systems). I still like the size and form factor of the 9800 vs the larger iPad. The 9800 has a very slick and fast two-way communication with several components. The most important being the Denon AVP. I can see the volume, source, surround mode, transducer volume, etc. I'm still using PEPV2, but it is more powerful than ibuilder. I have run into some strange things in using ibuilder Things disappearing, etc Also, my home automation can be controlled and a bunch of other things. The pronto with it's native pronto script (and integration modules) is very efficient and fast. I'm sure iRule will evolve, but is not there yet and doesn't have the integration Now, an iPad can do so much more ( I am writing this response on it) and my family likes using their iPhones to control. They really understand the interface because it works just like other things that they are used to IRule types of software will certainly be the future. You can also use your apple device to control things away from the home. Having an iphone in your pocket and being able to control various aspects of your home is cool. I'm doing the iRule just mainly as a side project at this point because it is frankly one of the cheapest HT projects I have ever done. . Also, pronto is now out of business and I'm looking ahead. SJ

Thanks for that SJ.

Frank
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Looks like the the Australian dealer bought exclusivity for Australia. Not surprising... iRule has some major promise and at $49 (USA), it's the deal of deals!
Definitley! Lets hope they dont do the same to you guys as they did with us here in Australia.

Frank
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

If the app is not on the AUS App store then you can't get it. Each country gets a different App store. There are several apps that are available in the UK that are not available here in the US.

I wonder is there is a way to able to be able to purchase via the U.S store?

Frank
Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I wonder is there is a way to able to be able to purchase via the U.S store?

Since it is tied to your billing address and IP address at the time of purchase... it should be possible to create an account while visiting the US and purchase the app while in the US. The only thing would be the billing address but that could easily be fixed by having a friend or family member letting you use their home address (or business addy).
Old 06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Since it is tied to your billing address and IP address at the time of purchase... it should be possible to create an account while visiting the US and purchase the app while in the US. The only thing would be the billing address but that could easily be fixed by having a friend or family member letting you use their home address (or business addy).

You'll still have the issue of using ibuilder from your home country. Crazy. I'd call them and make a deal before they get rolling. SJ
Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There are ways to get around country restrictions.

http://www.cultofmac.com/get-a-u-s-i...d-how-to/43040
Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

You'll still have the issue of using ibuilder from your home country. Crazy. I'd call them and make a deal before they get rolling. SJ

If it's the correct ones they have packages starting from $1199.

I'll stick with my pronto.

Frank
Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What gateway would I need to control 6 RS-232 devices?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

What gateway would I need to control 6 RS-232 devices?

None of the Global Cache boxes can do 6 in a single box. Only solution is a box not supported that would require you to be able to configure on your own.