Sonus Faber Elipsa's coming... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is the good the bad and the ugly on them. We can take ugly out, in my opinion.

Should I use my JL subs or let them run naked??
Room is circa 20x20x8. It's not square but close.
I am aware of the square room issues.

Thanks!

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That's an excellent speaker. I avoid using subs with music when possible. For movies, it's a must. If your pre-amp does not have any EQ, then I would a crossover at 80hz and use the subs to help with room modes. A lot is also going to depend on the type of music you play. Some of the stuff that I enjoy would require a sub with the Elipsa.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

That's an excellent speaker. I avoid using subs with music when possible. For movies, it's a must. If your pre-amp does not have any EQ, then I would crossover at 80hz and use the subs to help with room modes. A lot is also going to depend on the type of music you play. Some of the stuff that I enjoy would require a sub with the Elipsa.

Just 2 channel music.
I have a media room for movies and subs.

Thanks

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
post #4 of 7 Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Forget about the subs at least until you are happy with setting up the speakers within the room and found the best possible location for them (adding subwoofers in the beginning just adds too many variables to deal with at the same time in my opinion). Once you have played with their toe-in and specific locations, then think about subwoofers. Depending on the room needs, the subwoofers could be placed such that they cancel out some bass issues at the listening position, or for whatever needs you have...
post #5 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 03:00 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I plagued with a similar problem 18 x 20 x10. Wished it was different frown.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
At the risk of offending my fellow members, if you run two JL subs and they are set up correctly (emphasis here), one for each speaker, there is aboslutely nothing inherently wrong with combining them with a full range high performance speaker for music playback. You will not only give the music more foundation, but you will also deepen and widen the soundstage, one of the often overlooked benefits of adding two subs to your system.

In addition, running two JL subs will tend to minimize the difficulties you can encounter with room integration when running a single sub. It's my experience that people say that adding two subs is one of the single most satisfying music system upgrades they have made.

Since you already have the subs, it costs you nothing to try. Just remember that how you set them up can make or break the sound.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post

At the risk of offending my fellow members, if you run two JL subs and they are set up correctly (emphasis here), one for each speaker, there is aboslutely nothing inherently wrong with combining them with a full range high performance speaker for music playback. You will not only give the music more foundation, but you will also deepen and widen the soundstage, one of the often overlooked benefits of adding two subs to your system.
In addition, running two JL subs will tend to minimize the difficulties you can encounter with room integration when running a single sub. It's my experience that people say that adding two subs is one of the single most satisfying music system upgrades they have made.
Since you already have the subs, it costs you nothing to try. Just remember that how you set them up can make or break the sound.

I used 2 x JL 113 with my avalon eidolons. Worked like a charm. Avalons ran at full range, subs crossed over at natural drop off. Also used stereo sub EQ unit (SVS).
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page