post #271 of 290 Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Yes generally the industry is turning away from 3d . Box office from converted films is not really measuring up given the potential degradation that conversion now represents to even the average cinema goer.

2d to 3d conversion techniques are getting more and more procedural and automated to the extent that the difference between a high end convertor and the manual labour techniques means it hard to justify employing thousands of people for in practice a 10% improvement in quality to the average cinema goer.

Its going . The industry knows it and is already diversifying into other areas.

2-3 years tops then its gone I reckon.

Gaming will use it but I think the stereo conversion side will be something that gets applied more and more in hardware as a user preference at the display end rather than to the material itself.

You may be right, but if you go to the over $3,000 projector section you'll find more and more people who are buying new projectors are now trying out the 3D and are buying 3D movies. It will be very interesting if this niche continues to grow. LD survived as a niche for many years until DVD killed it. With movies like the Hobbit coming to theatres and Hugo coming out on 3D BD relatively soon it may just give 3D another much needed push. Titanic will be another one hyped to the ends of the earth and those already having a 3D ready TV or projector are probably going to buy it. I think that the fact that so many "hate" it may just be enough of a reason for it to survive, if just out of spite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 290 Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I personally love 3D, when it's done by those interested in more than the financial gains of the format. I agree that most every 3D conversion to date has been disappointing. I am looking forward to watching Titanic 3D to see what Cameron's post-production standards are. Hopefully they'll lead to higher quality work in the future by other film makers and studios.

Luckily, this year we have two movies that will prove what the capabilities of 3D are: Prometheus and The Hobbit. Both are being shot with high res Red Epic cameras and by extremely competent directors: Ridley Scott and Peter Jackson. Directors who care about story telling and their art. Scott proclaimed his love for the format and stated that he'll only shoot in 3D from now on.

I got a chance to experience The Hobbit trailer in 3D before a screening of Journey 2 on a Barco projector (RealD) and it was absolutely spectacular! No exaggerations. I watched Avatar eight times in most of the available formats (IMAX 3D, RealD 3D on Christie and Barco projectors, 2D) and the footage I saw surpassed Avatar's in depth and separation. As the camera panned around characters, there's a very tangible feeling of moving around that person, with no "cardboard cut out" effect. There's a far more distinct window quality to this than any other 3D experience I've had to date, and the image didn't feel like it suffered from lack of light.

With the positive reaction from Hugo and some high quality 3D presentations in our future, things are looking up for the reborn format.

P.S. Those Red Epic cameras sure do capture a beautiful image. I want one badly!

David Budo
post #273 of 290 Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I believe 3D will once again be a passing fab IMO. After all I'm one of the many that spent thousands of dollars so I didn't have to wear contacts or glasses. the glasses take me out of the experience and make my eyes hurt after a while. Now I know they are working on glass free solutions but I still think it will fail. It's too bad they didn't focus on 4k and 8k more and then attempt a new 3D experience the 8k simulators I've seen are surreal and if they were 3D that could very well be a game changer. Of course there is the other issue; lack of good content it just seems like hollywood is going through an uninspired period of remakes and formula based crap. I long for the golden age where films had stories that sucked you in, when it was more of a craft than a way to just get rich, it used to be an experience now it just seems it's just formula based crap to try to get a demographic, or teen movies that have so much sugar and cuteness that it gives you diabetes, again IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #274 of 290 Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can't wait for the release of "Hugo 3D" (Feb 28th). It would be interesting to know how many advance orders Amazon has racked up for this title. I'm sure Hollywood will be looking at that metric. And I bet IMAX wouldn't be selling so many BDs were it not for their really spectacular 3D documentaries.
post #275 of 290 Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
We may have a generational issue at play here (among other things). When Martin Scorcese decided he was going to make a movie his kids could watch, his kids (and their friends) requested he make it in 3D. When I take my kids (13 and 10) and their friends to films, they also express a preference for 3D. As long as that generation also expresses that preference, I think 3D will be more than a fad.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #276 of 290 Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How many times has "3-D" been revived? I think at least 3 times. Kinda reminds me of the saying:
Insanity is doing the same thing over again, expecting different results.
Boy, if that doesn't perfectly describe Hollywood.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #277 of 290 Old 02-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Liked: 12
I love 3D. If the movie has a 2D and 3D version, I always go to the 3D version. Just like with imax, if there's an imax version and a regular one, I go to imax. But I'm just paying for myself, and god-willing a date from time to time. I can definitely understand that in todays economy taking a family of 4 to a movie can get expensive and paying extra for 3D can be too much. Afterall, you're only in the theater for about 2 hours so dropping 32 bucks is quite a bit, add in 3D which (in philly) adds about 3 bucks and puts the final tally at 44 bucks with no refreshments.

I rarely go to the movies cause 8 or 11 bucks for 2 hours just doesn't jive well with me when the bluray comes out and is 20 bucks. If the price of 3D blurays would drop it might entice more people cause so far the only movies I'd buy at 44 bucks for the 3D version is Avatar and Transformers 3. And I can't even buy the first one.

A theater in NJ has Journey 2 in 3D and with Dbox seats.

The 2D is 10.50, 3D is 14.25, 3D with Dbox seat is 22.25. Try taking a family out and you'll spend 100 bucks for a 94 minute movie.

post #278 of 290 Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

How many times has "3-D" been revived? I think at least 3 times. Kinda reminds me of the saying:

Very well said. Not only applies to 3D but to films (Hollywood) in general.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #279 of 290 Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

3D is probably here for the long run. If anything it will grow in the next couple of years. Overseas 3D is going strong. What you are saying makes no sense because they are not reviving the same old 3D. Technology is changing and 3D is in its infancy because even now we don't have the technology to make 3D really shine. How do you explaing the rerelease of The Lion King in 3D. If 3D was not excepted as some say then why was a film you could watch at home stay #1 at the boxoffice for 2 consective weeks.? It made close to $100 million and only because it was in 3D. If they had rereleased Star Wars Episode I in regular 3D do you think anyone would want to watch such a horrible movie again? Wait till Titanic comes out and everyone will be talking about 3D and how great it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes Avatar for the top spot and it probably will.
post #280 of 290 Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Gee, maybe we'll get a 3D re-release of 'Ishtar'
post #281 of 290 Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
post #282 of 290 Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hugo looks great in 3D -- it just does and that's obviously the way it is meant to be seen. I enjoyed the story and the 3D. There will more and more movies like Hugo with 3D that enhances the film and just like the CRT owners who slowly moved over to digital the 2D proponents will slowly move over to 3D -- but not without lots of gnashing and grinding of teeth.
post #283 of 290 Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Maybe neither of you is much of a sci-fi fan?

From the second that I heard that Cameron was doing Avatar and that it was "about some guy in a wheelchair and some blue guys" then thats when I said yawn I know what the super secret movie script is about.

Call me Joe.
Science Fiction story about a guy in a wheelchair who uses an blue avatar on an alien planet(Jupiter) and who then does not want to go back to the wheelchair.............

Yeah..... Call me Joe meets Ferngully is the "story"??? lol of Avatar.

DIY beats store purchased.
post #284 of 290 Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Gee, maybe we'll get a 3D re-release of 'Ishtar'

Please no since I rather see Plan Nine From Outer Space in 3D than be subjected to Ishtar.

DIY beats store purchased.
post #285 of 290 Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

There will more and more movies like Hugo with 3D that enhances the film

I would imagine it will be frequently used in films that try to visualize a description ( eg. Three Kings, and CSI when they describe the mechanics of an injury) or a dream sequence (eg. the Dali sequence in Spellbound), or scenes trying to affect your sense of orientation (eg. Vertigo or the stabbing scene in the stairwell in Psycho). Also consider Sci-Fi films like Fantastic Voyage or battle scenes in space. The technology can create a sense of immersion 2D could merely simulate.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #286 of 290 Old 03-03-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Its going . The industry knows it and is already diversifying into other areas.

2-3 years tops then its gone I reckon.

You're that sure of yourself?

Where is the industry headed then? What areas hasn't it explored already?
post #287 of 290 Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
With 3-D, Cameron Raises His 'Titanic'
Technological refitting steers clear of flashiness, deepens spectacle and emotional power
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...077335890.html
post #288 of 290 Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
So, do I now have to guess who will live and who will drown again, but in 3D?

I have found I much prefer animation in 3D, but not us humanoids (except Avatar which was a combo).
post #289 of 290 Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
The people eagerly pointing to the very few examples of successfully done 3D are only tending to confirm Sturgeon's Law: That 90% of everything is crap, and this applies especially to 3D, the vast majority of which represents a "let's squeeze more money out of the suckers with a half-assed tacked on effort" mentality. I'll go with technology with a much higher success rate, thank you.
post #290 of 290 Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I saw Titanic in 3D yesterday and I have to say it was well done. most parts that stood out was when Rose was trying to kill herself in the first part and over the stern end of the ship and same on the bow and overlooking for forecastle.

Also at the end when the stern was in the air and the guy who jumped hit the ship's blade.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page