Sim2 Mico 50 and EasyLED Calibration SW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've read several places that the Mico 50 can use the EasyLED calibration software via RS232. My Mico 50 didn't ship with the software and it's not available for download for the Mico 50 at the Sim2 site. It is for the Mico 60. What's the scoop? Did these sites saying it can use the software just keep repeating incorrect info?

The reason I'm interested is I find the Mico 50 CMS controls in the service menu almost incomprehensible. Maybe it's just me.....but I wound up just using its native gamut and using my RadianceXE's CMS controls (which I do understand) to make gamut adjustments. I sure would like to know how to use Sim2's or use the EasyLED software.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Try this:

Brightness = 48
contrast = 53
Color = 44
Sharness = Normal
Tint = 52
Filter = LTI off; CTI off
Detail Enhancement = 6-8
Aspect = Pixel to Pixel (for HD content)
Primaries = HDTV/Auto
white Point = D65
Gamma = 2.2
DynamicBlack = Movie/On

Display Mode = Normal (If you are pushing the limits on screen size or are having to deal with ambient light, set Display Mode to 'Overlap' for a brighter picture, but if you do use 'overlap', adjust color and tint to 50).
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Pete, but I don't need any help in the user menu settings. My settings are similar to yours in some areas but different in brightness and contrast in particular. I am feeding my projector RGB with video levels. If I feed it YCbCr my brightness and contrast are similar to yours but white is crushed above 90IRE and color decoding is way off. So, I have to run it with RGB. This has been reported elsewhere in this forum.
My problem is with the CMS in the service menu. I can easily get the coordinates of the primaries and secondaries perfect. In fact, they are pretty good out of the box. What I can't get right is the relative brightness L of each color. I have multiple meters, including the one they calibrate with at the factory (Konica Minolta CL200) and get very similar results with it and my i1Pro. I use CalMAN.
I don't think the built-in CMS is working properly, and that is why I have an interest in using the EasyLED program.

Here are my settings:
Brightness = 55
Contrast = 48
Color = 49
Sharpness = Softer, sometimes Normal
Tint = 50
Detail Enhancement = 6
Aspect = Pixel to Pixel
Primaries = Native, but corrected to HD Rec709 with Radiance XE CMS
White Point = D65
Gamma = 2.2
DynamicBlack = Off except for movies
Display Mode = Normal always

We have a lot of settings the same.

I'm going to call Sim2 tomorrow or Wed since apparently nobody knows the answer to my question, and I've posted on two forums and put PM's on both. I don't think there are too many owners of this pj. That's too bad, as the image is truly spectacular once I mated it with a DaLite HP screen. My screen is 64X113.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Try this:

Brightness = 48
contrast = 53
Color = 44
Sharness = Normal
Tint = 52
Detail Enhancement = 6-8
Aspect = Pixel to Pixel (for HD content)
Primaries = HDTV/Auto
white Point = D65
Gamma = 2.2
DynamicBlack = Movie/On

Display Mode = Normal (If you are pushing the limits on screen size or are having to deal with ambient light, set Display Mode to 'Overlap' for a brighter picture, but if you do use 'overlap', adjust color and tint to 50).

Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called Sim2 USA yesterday and got all my questions answered wrt to my MICO50. It turned out I had the original firmware in my unit which needed to be updated. They sent me the new firmware as well as the program and instructions on how to update the FW. My new FW is 509.10.47. We had a problem with my email provider rejecting the executable attachments but they worked with me and I finally got the items last night around 10PM. Kudos to Robin at Sim2 USA for working from home at 10pm to get me what I needed.

As for the MICO50 using the EasyLED calibration program, the factory is still developing the version for the MICO50. At present, only the MICO60 can use the program so I'll have to wait for the version for the 50. It's not so important after the firmware update as the color performance seems to be fixed with the new FW. I'm still evaluating the new FW, but so far so good.

Bob
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That is good news.

Do you know when the current firmware was released?

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Anyone with a MICO 50: I'm having a hard time with the description of the HORIZONTAL lens shift capability on pg 13 of the manual; i.e., it is 7.5% to the right or left, but 7.5% of what? E.g., how much could I shift a 128x72 (16x9) pic to the right or left? Is it 7.5% of the 128"width, i.e., 9.6", or what? TIA!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Anyone with a MICO 50: I'm having a hard time with the description of the HORIZONTAL lens shift capability on pg 13 of the manual; i.e., it is 7.5% to the right or left, but 7.5% of what? E.g., how much could I shift a 128x72 (16x9) pic to the right or left? Is it 7.5% of the 128"width, i.e., 9.6", or what? TIA!

This is pretty complicated to answer as the H lens shift available is dependent on the V lens shift used. For example, I just measured mine and got these measurements:

With no V lens shift, i.e., lens vertically centered on screen, total H lens shift is 29" of my 114" wide image or approx 25% of screen width. Or, 12.5% in each direction.

With V lens shift where I use it, i.e., lens approx 1 ft above screen center, total H lens shift is 21" or 18%. Or, 9% in each direction.

I suspect they have specified this in the worst case with max V lens shift used, giving 7.5% in each direction for the H lens shift. Seems reasonable to me based on my measurements.

Are you confused yet?

Bob
Old 07-07-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

That is good news.

Do you know when the current firmware was released?

I can't tell as the date on my firmware file is yesterday, the day I unzipped the file. I get the feeling it has been around for awhile though.

Bob
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

This is pretty complicated to answer as the H lens shift available is dependent on the V lens shift used. For example, I just measured mine and got these measurements:

With no V lens shift, i.e., lens vertically centered on screen, total H lens shift is 29" of my 114" wide image or approx 25% of screen width. Or, 12.5% in each direction.

With V lens shift where I use it, i.e., lens approx 1 ft above screen center, total H lens shift is 21" or 18%. Or, 9% in each direction.

I suspect they have specified this in the worst case with max V lens shift used, giving 7.5% in each direction for the H lens shift. Seems reasonable to me based on my measurements.

Are you confused yet?

Bob

Less confused! (Actually it's very helpful.) Tx, Bob, for going to the trouble to check it out.

PS You have a 114" W image? The screen is 110" W, right?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oops, you're right of course. My screen is 113" including the frame while the screen is 110" wide. So, with my 1/2" larger on each side gives 111" wide.

Recalculating my numbers:

No V lens shift, 29" of 111", or 26%, or +/-13%.

With 1ft V lens shift, 21" of 111", or 19%, or +/-9.5%.

I think the +/-7.5% is a conservative spec.

Good grief, I've got a Professor correcting my measurements! I think I'm going to have nightmares about this.

Bob
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just a quick question about Mico-50 brightness.

In your opinion, what's the largest screen size that I can use with Mico 50 and still get the best picture (with no lights on, pitch black) with it?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

Oops, you're right of course. My screen is 113" including the frame while the screen is 110" wide. So, with my 1/2" larger on each side gives 111" wide.

Recalculating my numbers:

No V lens shift, 29" of 111", or 26%, or +/-13%.

With 1ft V lens shift, 21" of 111", or 19%, or +/-9.5%.

I think the +/-7.5% is a conservative spec.

Good grief, I've got a Professor correcting my measurements! I think I'm going to have nightmares about this.

Bob

Thanks, Bob; this is even better! I think I would actually be able to use the MICO (or Vango, which seems to be the same, at least in this regard): in my case the pj will be very near the vertical center of the screen; thus +/- 13% of my 128" W pic would be ~ +/-16.5" of horizontal shift, and I should need no more than half this to make it work for me. (So I am looking forward more than ever to see your MICO this fall!)

However I still don't have my new screen, and I'm getting mighty tired of showing it on my wall, with a (blocked out) window frame right in the middle! Hopefully not much longer.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Just a quick question about Mico-50 brightness.

In your opinion, what's the largest screen size that I can use with Mico 50 and still get the best picture (with no lights on, pitch black) with it?

In my opinion 110" diagonal would be the max with a 1.3 gain screen. I started with that size and was completely happy with the brightness. I've now gone to a bigger high power (2.8 gain) 110" wide and I'm even more satisfied.

Bob