Datasat RS20i BETA test and comparison with ADA Rhapsody/Trinnov TEQ-12!!!! - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1419 Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Edorr,

What software are you using as your media server? Did you tell it to use the Dirac Live virtual audio driver? If you did not purposely set the output of your music server to use the Dirac Live virtual driver it most likely is bypassing the filters that you created. A green LED symbol marked 'streaming' will show at the top of the Dirac Live runtime dialog (top PIC) when it is in the audio path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1419 Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post

Edorr,

What software are you using as your media server? Did you tell it to use the Dirac Live virtual audio driver? If you did not purposely set the output of your music server to use the Dirac Live virtual driver it most likely is bypassing the filters that you created. A green LED symbol marked 'streaming' will show at the top of the Dirac Live runtime dialog (top PIC) when it is in the audio path.

Carl, problem solved. Turns out I had not selected the Dirac as the output device in JRiver, so my output was bypassing the processor and I was hearing nothing. I got it working now and the processor is "streaming". So now it is back into the basement and another round of listening. Thanks so much!
post #1353 of 1419 Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Aah Great! I am glad that I could help.
post #1354 of 1419 Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what do you think about old AP20, comparing new RS20i? The price difference is big (5k to 20k)
I need AV processor for full digital domain sound home theatre: [HTPC>>LynxAES16e (AES/EBU)] (decoding surround format by J River)>>or[SAT reciever HDMI] >>??AP20>>Genelec dsp (AES/EBU) monitors
post #1355 of 1419 Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why don't you consider Trinnov MC...It is a great unit. I am using like you want...HTPC> Trinnov...all digital via DB25. You can check my thoughts in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1366849/datasat-rs20i-beta-test-and-comparison-with-ada-rhapsody-trinnov-teq-12/1320

Presently I am using the ADA Mach 4 and I can tell you with Trinnov you get cleaner sound. Also, the Remapping puts you in different domain. Still very happy with my combo.
post #1356 of 1419 Old 06-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJankovsky View Post

what do you think about old AP20, comparing new RS20i? The price difference is big (5k to 20k)
I need AV processor for full digital domain sound home theatre: [HTPC>>LynxAES16e (AES/EBU)] (decoding surround format by J River)>>or[SAT reciever HDMI] >>??AP20>>Genelec dsp (AES/EBU) monitors

Unfortunately the AP20 is no longer available for purchase if you are not an established commercial Cinema account. The RS20i adds bass management and modern Dolby and DTS decoding that the AP20 will never have.
post #1357 of 1419 Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post

Why don't you consider Trinnov MC...It is a great unit. I am using like you want...HTPC> Trinnov...all digital via DB25. You can check my thoughts in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1366849/datasat-rs20i-beta-test-and-comparison-with-ada-rhapsody-trinnov-teq-12/1320

Presently I am using the ADA Mach 4 and I can tell you with Trinnov you get cleaner sound. Also, the Remapping puts you in different domain. Still very happy with my combo.
Thanks for link! Start read about this device. It's look like the best choice is MC and it cost less that rs20i. Will ask questions in your post.
post #1358 of 1419 Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJankovsky View Post

Thanks for link! Start read about this device. It's look like the best choice is MC and it cost less that rs20i. Will ask questions in your post.

I just finished a write-up of the MC to appear in September Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1359 of 1419 Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 PM

If you don't mind, your opinion in short...
post #1360 of 1419 Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I can undertand if Kal responds with 'buy the magazine'smile.gif
post #1361 of 1419 Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I do mind.  It is not possible to comment on an article that has not yet appeared. 

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1362 of 1419 Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Edorr,

Carl, problems with Dirac again.

I just created some filters for Dirac Live on my Windows 8 machine, with the MSB Signature DAC, also running the new MSB Windows 8 drivers.

On native 96/24 files (or real time converted DSD at 96/24) everything works fine, but when switching to a 44/16 file, I am getting highly distorted unlistenable sound though Dirac (both with Filter On and Filter Off). If I shut down Dirac and set my MSB DAC as output device and 44/16 worked fine again.

it appears Dirac is having problem with the 16 bit files. However, I am playing Jriver in WASAPI mode (with autoselect bit depth), and the DAC is showing 44/24, when I play a 44/16 file, so JRiver does convert to 44/24. If I select any other mode than WASAPI, the 44/16 won't play at all, or Dirac does not show up as output device (in Asio mode).

I had no problems with Dirac on my Windows 7 machine and the Windows 7 version of the MSB drivers.

I am completely at a loss about what can be going wrong. Any suggestions?
post #1363 of 1419 Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

"I am completely at a loss about what can be going wrong. Any suggestions?"

I suggest that you email the Dirac crew direct. http://www.dirac.se/en/contact/headquarter.aspx

They are very good at resolving such issues. Let me know if you do no get a timely response from them as I know they are very busy right now.

post #1364 of 1419 Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suggest that you email the Dirac crew direct. http://www.dirac.se/en/contact/headquarter.aspx

They are very good at resolving such issues. Let me know if you do no get a timely response from them as I know they are very busy right now.

Thanks. Just shot them an email.
post #1365 of 1419 Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM

"If I select any other mode than WASAPI, the 44/16 won't play at all, or Dirac does not show up as output device (in Asio mode)."

I had similar problem with my Trinnov and W8.
Does Dirac support ASIO? If it does, you should try the drivers. I am using RME card which came with a Hummer SW where you can see the output channels and accordingly adjust them.
post #1366 of 1419 Old 07-10-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"If I select any other mode than WASAPI, the 44/16 won't play at all, or Dirac does not show up as output device (in Asio mode)."

I had similar problem with my Trinnov and W8.
Does Dirac support ASIO? If it does, you should try the drivers. I am using RME card which came with a Hummer SW where you can see the output channels and accordingly adjust them.

I am selecting the MSB Asio driver as the output device in Dirac. However, in JRiver, if I use Asio mode, the Dirac processor does not show up as an output device, so I use WASAPI. The Dirac processor also shows up when I select for example Kernel Streaming in JRiver, but if I select that and Dirac as (virtual) output device, I get an error message and my 44/16 files won't play.
post #1367 of 1419 Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dirac tech support has been quite responsive, but unfortunately unable to solve the problem. The issue is sample rate / not bit deth. Dirac won't play 44Khz files correctly. If I upsample to 96Khz, the problem goes away. I prefer to play in native sample rate, but at least I can play music. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot / resolve this are still welcome.
post #1368 of 1419 Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that right,that should allow you to work with up to 4 subs. thank you kkcY
post #1369 of 1419 Old 09-11-2013, 04:44 AM

I was in Chicago yesterday and decided to go to dans place to demo his home theatre and learn about the differences he found between datasat and ada.i was really impressed by the knowledge he has of everything audio / video.the Titan projector was like looking out of the window.the difference between acoustic optimisation on and off in the ada Mach 4 was like night and day .as soon as dan switched off the optimisation the entire soundstage just collapsed .i have never heard any other room correction software which makes such a huge difference in sound quality.although I am yet to hear dirac in action.
post #1370 of 1419 Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 AM

that right,Sound is sound, whether from a movie or music....it should be as good as possible. thanks 25.gif
post #1371 of 1419 Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdeep View Post

I was in Chicago yesterday and decided to go to dans place to demo his home theatre and learn about the differences he found between datasat and ada.i was really impressed by the knowledge he has of everything audio / video.the Titan projector was like looking out of the window.the difference between acoustic optimisation on and off in the ada Mach 4 was like night and day .as soon as dan switched off the optimisation the entire soundstage just collapsed .i have never heard any other room correction software which makes such a huge difference in sound quality.although I am yet to hear dirac in action.

Are you talking about the Reference? Mach 4 doesn't have Room optimisation..It comes from Trinnov which is embedded in the Reference.
post #1372 of 1419 Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I should say that there are a couple corrections necessary:
1.) it is indeed the Cinema Reference Mach IV that rajdeep listened to in our room

2.) the projector that he saw is the Display Development HD5, we have removed the Titan Reference and placed it on the secondary market.

Thanks rajdeep for the comments, I'm glad you liked the system

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #1373 of 1419 Old 09-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Dan thanks for correcting .i don't know why I was thinking it was the Titan projector.
post #1374 of 1419 Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
OK, this is an aside;

I just looked at when I started this thread, and I honestly can't believe that it's been almost 2 years and 95,000 views and this thread has never left the first page of the 20k+ forum, not once.

I'm pretty astounded by that.

I figured that by now what I did here would have been passed-over as being yesterday's news.

I guess that Acoustic correction truly is the way of the future.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #1375 of 1419 Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM

post #1376 of 1419 Old 09-23-2013, 12:35 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Ouch expensive!

My humble Cinema
post #1377 of 1419 Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You may be in the wrong forum

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #1378 of 1419 Old 03-05-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I read through like half this thread and my brain hurts... but has anyone looked into the Datasat LS10 plus Trinnov? Seems this might be a good option for those that want the benefits of a Datasat pre-pro coupled with Trinnov room processing if they preferred that.

Honestly I am having a hard time understanding if Trinnov or Datasat is "superior". It almost seems that it "just depends"... I do love my Pass Labs XA30.8 and the "Class A" sound it produces... maybe Dirac will be good for me?

I don't think most of us would be able to make a choice based on listening to both options. What was the conclusion of this thread's "shootout"?

Lastly, is there a SUB EQ that will literally run simulations on multiple subs with different settings and optimize the room via trial and error? I have 6 subwoofers where this kind of approach should be able to get a very good bass response. I really only do "critical" listening from the sweet spot. The rest of the folks watching movies in the house couldn't care less...

Blazar!
post #1379 of 1419 Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Perhaps the EQ and room correction are equal on both. Likely the Trinnov is more sophisticated and tweak-able. Dan Francis is a good person to ask.. Hard to say. But the secret sauce is the remapping which is not a part of DIRAC. That to me, as I have on e in my theater, is the game changer. Unless I am wrong, I look at DIRAC as a very nice EQ/Room correction software similar and perhaps superior to most others. The DATASAT is a nice piece but really it is a very sophisticated, high quality SSP with built in room correction and HDMI inputs - but very upgradeable. I'm still considering it but I know I'll take a step down in sonics / no remapping in doing so. I hate to even say step down as it implies it is deficient. I'm sure it is excellent but it doesn't offer that very impressive remapping.

Then again, a 16 ch Trinnov with no decoding, no HDMI, etc cost the same as a full on Datasat RS-20i with Dirac (minus Auro). It is ALL room correction and not an SSP (like Datasat). Also, add the price of a modded Oppo and you are very, very expensive for just Trinnov processing, no decoding and switching. Very few owners here.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1380 of 1419 Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Clarify the mod for the oppo if you would please

Blazar!
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page