Bryston BDP-1 for Theta Digital & Aerial Music and Home Theater System! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 137 Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The BDP-2 will....

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Doesn't the NAD C 390DD meet your prediction? The optional hdmi board adds three hdmi in, and one out.
I have a C 390DD on the way for a small stereo mediaroom. AES/EBU is what I was thinking for the BDP-1 connectivity. I'll still want the optional hdmi daughtercard, for the cable box and Bluray.

The NAD is an integrated digital stereo amp that will play music off of USB sticks connected to its USB ports.

The BDP-1 is a media player only, with simply Linux sofware, no moving parts, thus providing perhaps the "best" quality sound when paired with separate preamplifier and/or analog or digital amplifiers.

As one wanting the best quality sound in my current system at a reasonable price, I will continue living and being happy with my BDP-1.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #123 of 137 Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Will come out with a box that does what the BDP-1 does AND also adds to this:

One HDMI input.

One HDMI output."
Don't have the reference but IIRC, James Tanner has addressed this issue and said that Bryston engineers felt that HDMI didn't meet the standards for audio that they wanted for the BDP.

Steve
post #124 of 137 Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
The NAD is much more then how you describe it.

NAD C 390DD backside.jpg 82k .jpg file

I have a Bryston BDP-1 (+ IPad) and will be using a C 390DD as preamp for the BDP-1 shortly.
Dedicated music server to feed the Bryston. IPad as a manageable interface for a large music collection.

I am hoping this will meet my idea of "best quality sound at reasonable price". And deliver an excellent
user interface for a large database, and deliver user simplicity.
post #125 of 137 Old 08-04-2012, 04:10 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone found a piece of hardware that could be the equivalent "video brother" of the Bryston BDP-1, that is a piece that does what the BDP1 does for audio, but Bluray video/High Resolution codecs HDMI?
post #126 of 137 Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Latest BDP-1 firmware has NAS connectivity. Hopefully a full function internet radio function will be coming in the near future. Bryston has been very responsive to customer requests for software features.

Steve
post #127 of 137 Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Has anyone found a piece of hardware that could be the equivalent "video brother" of the Bryston BDP-1, that is a piece that does what the BDP1 does for audio, but Bluray video/High Resolution codecs HDMI?

Best I have seen thus far is the ability to rip DVDs and BDs to a "media file" for playback on something like an Oppo i.e. unfortunately with a lot of mechanical moving parts. There are programmes like XBMC out there but they don't offer the video processing. I am in the process of moving my entire DVD library to a hard disk.

Egglestonworks Andra III, Andra III Centre, Rosa (as surround). Rel Stentor II. Theta CB IV. Krell FPB 200 and two KAV 150a amps. Custom-built audio server. Oppo 103EU. Apple TV. Pioneer PDP-LX608D. Synergistic Research "Element Copper" front speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light bal interconnects.
post #128 of 137 Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandevantersh1 View Post

Latest BDP-1 firmware has NAS connectivity. Hopefully a full function internet radio function will be coming in the near future. Bryston has been very responsive to customer requests for software features.
Steve

????????!!

post #129 of 137 Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Steve, you've made your point again and again, you don't even own a BDP-1, so please. Enough is enough.
WE already know that James Tanner of Bryston doesn't know everything, and that for some things he defers to others
who work for him. But he's a great manager and Bryston is a terrific company. Sure, it would be neat if the BDp-2 had HDMI in and out
along with firmware that would decode multi-channel hi res audio. But that's a different product and a different market. Its not fair to
repeatedly criticize a company which comes out with an outstanding product like the BDP-1 about a product somewhat different that we wish they would come out with. Mebbe someday someone will?

There is a new firmware for the BDP-1 available as of last week!!@@@@
I have it of course!

The BDP-1 now supports gapless play over network. Previously, you had to connect
a USB external hard drive.

I have it on the cue that Bryston's software engineer has on his list a firmware revision
to play native DSD files (you still would need a DAC to do native DSD). However, this
is not a priority as Bryston is constantly working of improving its firmware and other items
(I didn't discuss them) have priority.

My BDP-1 was on the fritz for 2 days - it got "stuck" and wouldn't even work from the front panel.
It wouldn't even connect to my network. But I called Chris at Bryston, He took control of my
laptop and through programming genius was able to connect via my network to the BDP-1 and
fix it firmware wise, including the latest firmware!!@@@

During the interim 2 days my BDP-1 was down, I played a few DVD-Audio discs on my Theta
Compli Blu (modded Oppo 83) over HDMI into my CB3 HD. Once upon a time I thought they
sounded fantastic played in this manner. Now, after living with the BDP-1 since last December,
the DVD-Audio discs sounded only so so, not necessarily as good and certainly not better
than plain 'ol redbook via the BDP-1!!@@

I am a happy camper!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #130 of 137 Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 AM

"My BDP-1 was on the fritz for 2 days - it got "stuck" and wouldn't even work from the front panel."
FWIW, I had a similar problem several months ago. Rebooting, etc. didn't get it going, finally unplugged and replugged power cord and that corrected the problem.

Steve
post #131 of 137 Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandevantersh1 View Post

"My BDP-1 was on the fritz for 2 days - it got "stuck" and wouldn't even work from the front panel."
FWIW, I had a similar problem several months ago. Rebooting, etc. didn't get it going, finally unplugged and replugged power cord and that corrected the problem.
Steve

I tried unplugging, then repluggin power, too, but that wasn't my issue. My issue was that a startup file got corrupted. Chris at Bryston took remote control of my laptop and had my BDP-1 up and running fine in NO TIME!!@@@tongue.gif

post #132 of 137 Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM

" Chris at Bryston took remote control of my laptop and had my BDP-1 up and running fine in NO TIME!!@@@"
Good to know that is an option.

Steve
post #133 of 137 Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I should be taking delivery of my BDP-1 in a few days. It will feed into a Theta Casablanca III HD with an extreme DAC to a Theta Dreadnaught (4x250) biamping Aerial 7t mains. I'll be using a NAS drive (2TBx5).

From what I've read dbpoweramp is the way to go for ripping my current CDs. I still can't tell if there's been a definitive answer to what the settings should be in dbpoweramp when ripping. Can anyone help clear this up? Should I be ripping everything in native resolution?
post #134 of 137 Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post

I should be taking delivery of my BDP-1 in a few days. It will feed into a Theta Casablanca III HD with an extreme DAC to a Theta Dreadnaught (4x250) biamping Aerial 7t mains. I'll be using a NAS drive (2TBx5).
From what I've read dbpoweramp is the way to go for ripping my current CDs. I still can't tell if there's been a definitive answer to what the settings should be in dbpoweramp when ripping. Can anyone help clear this up? Should I be ripping everything in native resolution?

You always rip in native resolution. You then either keep the WAV file, or convert to a lossy format (e.g. MP3 - bad idea), or a lossless compressed format (e.g. FLAC). This conversion can typically by setup in the same ripping session, but it happens sequentially. Additionally, you can convert your 44/16 WAVs to anything up to 196/24 (Flacs and probably WAVs), using a different program (may be dbpoweramp can do this as well - not sure). There is no consensus about the best way to do this (other than obviously don't convert to lossy format). I personally tried upconverting and found no benefit, but hear no difference between WAV and FLAC (other have different experiences).
post #135 of 137 Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I use dBPoweramp to rip to FLAC uncompressed - FLAC will not lose metadata if you backup or otherwise copy the files. Do FLAC uncompressed, like me. I currently have a powered 3 TB Seagate GoFlex drive for all my music crapola, I've gotta lot!!@@

Use DVD Audio Extractor to extract DVD-Audio or now with an upgrade you can extract srereo PCM hi rez from blu ray discs (about to try this).

I have some DSD files that I am converting to 176-24 using Korg Audiogate, set to soft roll off, normalize album and Aqua dither - works great!

post #136 of 137 Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have ripped my library using EAC (exact Audio Copy) in the past, and this time I ripped the library using dbPower amp. I ripped in uncompressed WAV 's bot times. I cant tell the difference in two as they they both are extremely good programs. I find user interface of dbPoweramp much more than EAC , but I gues thats the reason its not free ..smile.gif
I always rip in WAV as memory is cheap , I see no reason to compress anymore..!!
post #137 of 137 Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I have some DSD files that I am converting to 176-24 using Korg Audiogate, set to soft roll off, normalize album and Aqua dither - works great!

There's a lot of debate out there on the quality of Audiogate versus Weiss Saracon.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page