Teranex 2D>3D -Not just for Millionaires any More - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #121 of 157 Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
HDCP needs to go..

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 157 Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
But what I want to know is can the Teranex stack up against a T A W Rock processor???
post #123 of 157 Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I'm joking... biggrin.gif I have used the Black Magic product line in my editing suite and the capture cards & devices I've had (none as frickin awesome as the VC1000) are reliable. I mainly used the hdmi to upconvert footage from various digital cameras... But as has been alluded to, we all know the work arounds to pass all hdmi signals.
post #124 of 157 Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
A user name from the past, greetings!
post #125 of 157 Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Yessir. Back in the saddle. Don't worry, I've been lurking smile.gif I was really hoping to give you a call tomorrow Peter, but my numbers didnt hit for the Fla Lottery OR the Powerball. wink.gif
post #126 of 157 Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

HDCP needs to go..
That is easy and inexpensive to do, so not really a problem.

Now who has bought a 3D teranex?

DON'T feed the troll.
post #127 of 157 Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

We have one in house to test with the tower cam, Ill report later when I return from ALBIORIX overseas...
post #128 of 157 Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

My apologies . My family was linked to that tragic period itself, as my grandfather who graduated from the class of 04 with FDR was able to snatch from a cruise-ship returning to Nazi Germany a family of 8 Chec friends.

Every Christmas when I was a kid my parents would tell me about the ordeal and how they nearly went back. There were 40,000 people parading in Havana harbor against any aid to the refugees(quite frankly the US didn't want anything to do with them either), but my GF struggled, risked position and was harrased for doing this but he got them visas to Cuba and to the US(under some intellectual property treasure loophole as these were Pilsner master Brewers) , years later my brother was looking at forms to submit him for YAD VASHEM induction. So we are all very much aware of your plight. Now there is a movie script with a Cuban motif.

I simply was denouncing a very negative concerted effort coming out of Germany today-counterfeit 3D.

After years of searching here is the patriarch of the family taken out of the ships back to Germany at the Cuban harbor : Eric Brach

My Grandfather being friends with FDR, his brother being a founder of the league of nations, and yes my father and mother worked tirelessly to save this family, who were allowed to disembark of the grounds of pilsner method intellectual property experts.

The most important thing is that at 6 I learned about the spirit of the holidays with this family legend:

Here is your proof:
post #129 of 157 Old 06-08-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 549
At the end of the video in this link is an interview with Peter (Cineramax) from a few years ago of what he thinks about the Black Magic Teranex's 2D to 3D conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPmLCpAn2Xc
post #130 of 157 Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Thanks for the memories, I am 25 pounds lighter nowadays....biggrin.gif
post #131 of 157 Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokworm View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Blu_One 

HDCP needs to go..

That is easy and inexpensive to do, so not really a problem.

Now who has bought a 3D teranex?
I now have the Teranex up and running and converting 2D into 3D. This is the best conversion I've seen and I've seen a few. 3D is a big deal to me, although I'm fully cognizant that many here don't really care for it. I'm now watching all my favourite 2D movies in 3D and loving it. So there!
post #132 of 157 Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have had the BlackMagic Teranex 3D processor running for a couple of months now. I use it with the Sim2 Super Lumis projector fed by an OPPO Blu-ray player. I have tried to get others on board and I believe I was able to convince Deja Vu to try it. He has the love of 3D that I do and I know that there is not another product available at anywhere near the cost of this unit that can touch it for 2d to 3D conversion. I can throw anything at it, old SciFi movies on DVD, any and all Blu-ray movies. It makes no difference, it adds to the enjoyment and am glad I went this route.
Deja Vu likes this.
post #133 of 157 Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
I have had the BlackMagic Teranex 3D processor running for a couple of months now. I use it with the Sim2 Super Lumis projector fed by an OPPO Blu-ray player. I have tried to get others on board and I believe I was able to convince Deja Vu to try it. He has the love of 3D that I do and I know that there is not another product available at anywhere near the cost of this unit that can touch it for 2d to 3D conversion. I can throw anything at it, old SciFi movies on DVD, any and all Blu-ray movies. It makes no difference, it adds to the enjoyment and am glad I went this route.
Yes, and thanks to Kim and Cineramax for their help. There are some great people on this forum -- I'm not very technical and I need to have someone hold my hand when trying to solve set up issues.
post #134 of 157 Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 489
The have a new model, the 2D Express for $1395! This box is somewhat scaled down from the 2D model but does have 4K upconversion capability. But no HDMI I/O so you would need a 4K HDSDI to HDMI converter which they also make. This is clearly not an HT product at all.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranexexpress

Note that the older 2D and 3D units are still current products.

I have the older 2D unit and love it.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Last edited by Glimmie; 06-20-2014 at 11:15 AM.
post #135 of 157 Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
As soon as I can afford to upgrade my 1080 3chip DLP to a 3D model, I'll be getting one of these 2D -> 3D processors! But I have a feeling by the time that happens, I'll want the 4K 3chip DLP model instead. So by then I'll need a 1080/2D -> 4K/3D Teranex processor!?!?
post #136 of 157 Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Good point Waterman. although because our 3d is not 4k 3D only 10 movies for large format screens or so are availble in dcp.

What we did at the 4k 3d lab was put the teranex before the barco and let it upconvert to 4k -looks fantastic.

I never thought id be telling a client to use the system in 3d at all times but with a big , bright, short thro wide angle it actually looks more organic than 2d! Im so happy to see you guys getting the best benefits of Star Wars Spy Satellite technology in your HT's.
post #137 of 157 Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I've now thrown some really tough material at the Teranex, material which has tripped up some other 3D converters I've used and the Teranex has handled it all without a hiccup. Peter was right on the money with his praise for this 3D processor. This is a must have for the five or so of us that love 3D.
post #138 of 157 Old 11-08-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any SD to 1080p side by side comparisons ? I was considering the 2D or express if the conversion quality is good.
post #139 of 157 Old 12-19-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #140 of 157 Old 12-19-2014, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
Thank you, quad hdsdi is 4k, I wonder......
post #141 of 157 Old 04-25-2015, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Any news about another 3D converters?
I saw that powerdvd 15 just came out, and as I don't want to spend that much money on a Teranex, I wanted to know if Powerdvd is the best option in the market.
post #142 of 157 Old 06-02-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
Any news about another 3D converters?
I saw that powerdvd 15 just came out, and as I don't want to spend that much money on a Teranex, I wanted to know if Powerdvd is the best option in the market.
PowerDVD15 Ultra is a great solution for 2D to 3D conversion IMO. It not only provides some of the best 2D to 3D conversion I've been fortunate enough to have seen but also has image enhancements that really work. IMO, for $89.00 it's ridiculously effective -- the world is changing and quickly.

If you set the depth control (slider) anywhere from 25% to 40% PDVD15 is largely artifact free and retains amazing spatial depth between objects in the foreground and as you move to the background. Cyberlink has really come through for the 3D enthusiast. If you like 3D and have lots 2D BDs and don't want to spend what the Teranex costs then I recommend you give PDVD15 a try. You can download a free 30 trial just to see if it lives up to your expectations. If it doesn't work for you then you haven't invested any money in it and now have an idea of where 2D to 3D real-time conversion is at. If it does meet or exceed your expectations then you're off to the races and all those 2D BDs that have been ignored for the last several years are going to have the dust blown off of them.

Remember, this is not Hollywood 3D but rather real time conversion. For what it is and what it costs my personal opinion is that it is an astoundingly effective 2D to 3D conversion package.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-02-2015 at 06:38 AM.
post #143 of 157 Old 11-13-2015, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Cool Our goal of bringing high performance products to the masses achieved again...

So as you can see that crazy installation in One Hyde Park with two professional Teranexes and doremi dimension 3D and ghx-10 that cost over 180 grand to do 2 zones of kaleidescape converted 3d, although positively decadent then is what paved the way for what trully motivates us in this career, getting letters like this:

Peter, I wanted to thank you for (years ago) bringing the Teranex 3D processor to my attention via AVS forum. I recently got a good deal on a Teranex 3D unit and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I plan to use it for its "3D Simulation." I think I've got all of my bases covered, as I plan to feed it blu-ray disc video via the HDMI input. Years ago, I purchased one of those HDMI splitters known to strip HDCP, to be placed in position between the player and the Teranex. My disc player is set to output YCbCr 4:2:2 video. Then, it'd just an HDMI connection from the Teranex to my 3D projector? I hope there isn't anything I've forgotten. I will contact you with my reaction and results. [BTW, I'm not a member of the forum, just a lurker. But I can't imagine I'd ever have found this Teranex option without yours and Deja Vu's comments on AVS]. Thanks again! -Andy B

Peter, I mentioned that I would write again after I had installed and used my Teranex 3D processor. It really is a remarkable device. I had thought that it would be difficult to set up and use, but it was really remarkably simple. As long as you feed it 1080i, block the HDCP and correctly set up 2D to 3D Intensity and Depth, it works like a charm. It is everything you said it was and is a quantum leap in the quality of depth presentation from the previous device I was using -- the 3D Bee Platinum unit. And, I really love the fact that it holds on to its settings once you've got them right -- even after you've turned the processor off and fire it up again. I don't have to tell you, but I will, that it produces a very smooth, fine image. And one which is very depth-convincing. Also, in every case, it bests the image by far that is delivered by the 3D Bee. I am jaded, in that I am accustomed to what good 3D simulation should look like. To give myself a reality check, I showed some of my "uneducated" friends the results with the Teranex. They were "wowed." [They actually kept saying "wow"].

BTW, I got a really good deal on the Teranex, as mine was a used unit, and I got it for about half-price. It's the only way I could afford it. But I must say that even at full price it would have been worth the purchase.

So, once again, I want to sincerely thank you for championing the Teranex in the AVS forum -- the only place I have seen it discussed at length. I certainly would never have known that it even existed had it not been for your postings and the postings of the other lucky few who own it. -Andy

Thank you Andy for validating my true motivation in this crazy rollercoaster of a career I have chosen to toil in, it means the world!
witchdoctor, thxman and CARTmen like this.
post #144 of 157 Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have some questions concerning the 2D-3D conversion. How good is it compared to professional conversions made for theatrical features? Especially, are there no obvious blunders where objects are severly distorted and make no 3D sense at all like one sees all the time with a real time conversion as done by an Oppo103 BD player (simply not usable as a converter)? And with no blunders there is still good depth and not a flat image? Can one decide how much is in front or behind the screen plane? Any weaknesses?
post #145 of 157 Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
I have some questions concerning the 2D-3D conversion. How good is it compared to professional conversions made for theatrical features? Especially, are there no obvious blunders where objects are severly distorted and make no 3D sense at all like one sees all the time with a real time conversion as done by an Oppo103 BD player (simply not usable as a converter)? And with no blunders there is still good depth and not a flat image? Can one decide how much is in front or behind the screen plane? Any weaknesses?
The technical term is oclusion errors, there are zero. The mammoth scene in return of the king looks like avatar, pretty much everything you throw at it looks avater 3d grade, material shot on video, bbc news, sports, Dokus, x even rated stuff ( sorry evangelists )phenomenal.

Clash of titans through teranex looks better than 3d bd. NOW: gi joe chaptyer 10 post conversion is the reference as they add negative parallax effects, there is no negative parallax, but as far as postitive prallax it is like looking out of a window (layered perfectly-organic- enhances visual comprehension without fatigue),In Moscow the kaleidescape 2d system is in 3d at all times due to close seating distance wall to ceiling screen. IT IS That good that polarizer has seldom been moved out of the way. Look in amazon for a used one, 1500+-

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 11-19-2015 at 08:17 AM.
post #146 of 157 Old 11-19-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'm not sure all the problems I see are occlusion errors. What I see with the Oppo is that some objects are grotesquely too deep at times or an object like a landscape with mountains in the back shows bands of mountains much closer than the rest so the 3D integrity is destroyed. And with multiple objects at different depths it rarely looks acceptable at all. Good to know the Terranex is comparable to professional conversions.
post #147 of 157 Old 11-20-2015, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post
Thanks. I'm not sure all the problems I see are occlusion errors. What I see with the Oppo is that some objects are grotesquely too deep at times or an object like a landscape with mountains in the back shows bands of mountains much closer than the rest so the 3D integrity is destroyed. And with multiple objects at different depths it rarely looks acceptable at all. Good to know the Terranex is comparable to professional conversions.
i Have the latest oppo as well as the LGTV converter, not even close, most defects on oppo are definitely occlusion errors, you have to understand that the technology came from Ronald Reagan's Star Wars spy satellite technology (case in point that 3d even converted when done right helps the brain comprehend better). When looking at red square from 22,000 miles St. Basils Cathedral better be the exact meterage distance from the Kremlin. And of course positioned in front of it and not 400 meters into the ground below it (oclusion example)

That is why the layering is so damned organic.

Yesterday I had an epiphany that although I had a gut feeling going into the CEDIA IMMERSION 2025 demo , and after hearing comments in the post CEDIA JBL synthesis demo where people were complaining that there was a dimensional discongruity of watching large screen images in 2d whilst being totally enveloped in 3d audio.... I realized that 10 years from now 3d will be back in full force again or the immersive cinema will be wholly incomplete.

He titled the cedia edition New Dimensions in Picture and Sound, since I am the only one that showed in 3D -quite a compliment Gary. I appreciate the tip of the hat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cedia 2015 New Dimensions In Picture And Sound (1).pdf (245.9 KB, 23 views)
witchdoctor likes this.
post #148 of 157 Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Clash of titans through teranex looks better than 3d bd. NOW: gi joe chaptyer 10 post conversion is the reference as they add negative parallax effects, there is no negative parallax, but as far as postitive prallax it is like looking out of a window (layered perfectly-organic- enhances visual comprehension without fatigue),In Moscow the kaleidescape 2d system is in 3d at all times due to close seating distance wall to ceiling screen. IT IS That good that polarizer has seldom been moved out of the way. Look in amazon for a used one, 1500+-
I did. I have been testing the unit for 2 days now. I'm not a 3D expert but I love 3D and know when it looks natural/appropriate to me and when it does not. The Teranex has 2 parameters, intensity and depth. After watching many examples I think depth is best 0 and intensity in the 3-<10 range. Usually with 7 or o8 it's becoming already too 3D and artificial/distorted looking. But it goes up to over 20. I wonder why anyone would need/want that.
So how does it look with intensity set to my preference? Amazingly good. Most shots look comparable to a good post conversion, some need less 3D, some more (one would have to fiddle with the intensity, but that's not possible while watching a film, of course). That's why highest quality post conversion is done manually with software and not real time with a Teranex. The ability to fiddle shot by shot and take artistic intentions into consideration. And paint in stuff missing in one image. Something an automatic real time process who does not really understand a picture beyond segmented objects and layers with some mathematical properties can not do.
Nonetheless the Teranex does an excellent job most of the time given the inherent limitations of an automatic real time process. Technical 3D errors are very rare. I think I have seen one or two cases where an object entering the picture was not placed correctly in depth but as soon as more is revealed it slides into the proper place. Or a plane with 3D content (painting etc.) was not recognised as flat and given some unwanted 3D detail. People and objects are not cardboard cutouts pasted on different depth planes, they look pretty 3D in a 3D environment. When I don't like something in a shot it's usually that there is too much or little depth between foreground and/or middleground and/or background. An artistic issue that requires manual conversion.
I'm happy I got it at that reduced price. I will not watch everything in 3D from now on, but selected suitable films for sure.
Question to other Teranex 3D owners: What intensity/depth do you prefer?
thxman likes this.
post #149 of 157 Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 190
So you are the one that got this. I was going to, but waited too long.
post #150 of 157 Old 12-11-2015, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

I agree with you wholeheartedly Michel. On all points, particularly poignant is the need for post work analysis in high verisimilitude depth assesment.

My not so famous 5 minute argument With Cameron in Cinemacon 2011 (that Tim Sinnaeve head of Barco Residential vicariously onlooked from 35 feet away in the main hallway of the FORUM SHOPS at Ceaesars (James and I stood in front of the luggage shop) he must have watched the last four minutes of the heated te-a-tete; during minute 3 to 4 Cameron proceeded to explain that no matter how good massive parallel processing spy satellite technology was that professional human intervention was required to properly space the depth interdistances in order to get it right, i told him I knew why he picked titanic because I realized that when I saw the water cutting battleships in a movie that the name escaped my name for 45 second, which he opportunisticly slammed me by saying If You are going to come to lecture me you better come prepared, but then I exclaimed:THE THIN RED LINE, that is where he expained his point that you so eloquently repeated above, you are right, but there are some movies THIN RED LINE, all the video shot things and yes every porno I have tested that are just spectacularly natural (3d eliminates the penis envy factor out of X rated 3d - making everything seem scaled down to normal. ) and I am not a porno aficionado, but work is work.

My message during the argument that the teranex would be beneficial to watch dailies did apparently get through as LIGHTSTROM entertainment purchased 10 units or so, for which I got a free one on loan. LOL so I still won the argument, but you are right. Do watch return of the king and Thin Red line tell me they are not fantastic, converted.

Honored that you are satisfied by the fruits of my hard labour, believe me the 60k unit was a total pain to integrate.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page