Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

The Bryston pre/pros have the best analog bypass of any of the processors I have tried. Have not yet heard the SP3. Where they were not tops was in digital to analog playback.

From isolated feedback from people who have replaced their Bryston SP 1.7/2.0 processors with SP 3, the improvements in digital management aren't subtle (dramatically better?). I will be interested in Kal Rubinspon's evaluation and impressions, as I am also in the market for a new processor that does both analog and digital well and doesn't cost as much as the GDP of a small country. :>)

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Although somewhat unrelated I would very much like to see Kal review the current ADA pre/pro product offerings...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #33 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandevantersh1 View Post

I am also in the market for a new processor that does both analog and digital well and doesn't cost as much as the GDP of a small country. :>)

Steve

Classe SSP800 is the first thing that comes to mind, which is not to say the Bryston is not great. I just know for sure the value of the Classe.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #34 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Classe SSP800 is the first thing that comes to mind, which is not to say the Bryston is not great. I just know for sure the value of the Classe.

thanks for the suggestion. The Classe was released 2008(?) and has had a video board upgrade. Have the digital audio sections been upgraded? Are design age, and/or upgrades important for the audio performance of this unit or am I just going out into the weeds?

Steve
post #35 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

One has PEQ, the other has discrete analog stages. Which to choose?
post #36 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandevantersh1 View Post

Have the digital audio sections been upgraded? Are design age, and/or upgrades important for the audio performance of this unit or am I just going out into the weeds?

The SSP's digital board was upgraded to the dual DSP DAE-77 one year after release. The SP-3 uses the DAE-6D, which is very similar in DSP functionality, based on the same TI chips and MDS-developed firmware.
post #37 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

The SSP's digital board was upgraded to the dual DSP DAE-77 one year after release. The SP-3 uses the DAE-6D, which is very similar in DSP functionality, based on the same TI chips and MDS-developed firmware.

Thanks for the response. It's difficult for the average consumer of mid-high end(?) gear to know when digital chip/firmware changes are a real improvement vs marketing.

Steve
post #38 of 44 Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Why not Not CB3HD which in your opinion 'beat' Classe SSP in your comparison? After all if you take a look at price points CB3HD is on par/slightly more expensive than SSP800.

Regards,
Kishore
post #39 of 44 Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Oh, just the original studio unit. Not the new ones. But the operation is identical to what ADA is showing.

Is it the unit with the touchscreen?

Did that unit get updated to correct for multiple mic positions?It originally only corrected for one spot.
post #40 of 44 Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLansing View Post

Is it the unit with the touchscreen?

Did that unit get updated to correct for multiple mic positions?It originally only corrected for one spot.

It has a touchscreen and latest software. However, it is at this very moment en route back to Mr. Hoyt without any testing. When inserted between the preamp and amp it caused too much hum for me to be able to evaluate fairly. After it was all removed and packed up Curt mentioned he had a line level isolation box that might have solved it. But by then I could not face any more wires and boxes.
post #41 of 44 Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post

Why not Not CB3HD which in your opinion 'beat' Classe SSP in your comparison? After all if you take a look at price points CB3HD is on par/slightly more expensive than SSP800.

Regards,
Kishore

I was thinking of the comparison to the Bryston. IMO the Casablabca HD would be my first choice combined with a Gen VIII. The "new" Theta is shaping up into very formidable company. Morris Kessler the owner has a history in high end audio, http://wardsweb.org/audio/sae_history.html . David Reich is a true audiophile designer. Jeff Hipps is "sharp," and brought much needed forward thinking to the brand that has never been there before. The former Harman engineer by all accounts is very capable as well. All of this is completed by the return of the most capable tech support person that I have ever encountered, John Baloff.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #42 of 44 Old 02-02-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

It has a touchscreen and latest software. However, it is at this very moment en route back to Mr. Hoyt without any testing. When inserted between the preamp and amp it caused too much hum for me to be able to evaluate fairly. After it was all removed and packed up Curt mentioned he had a line level isolation box that might have solved it. But by then I could not face any more wires and boxes.

Roger, are you planning to proceed with the evaluation of the Trinnov if you can get your hands on a humless unit? I am about to pull the plug on a 30 day trial with on their 4 channel pro unit myself. The beauty is this will not only allow me to do 2.2, using an outboard DAC for mains and their internal DACs for stereo subs, but it can also be configured to do EQ, Xover and time/phase alignment of mains, center and mono subs when I play in 5.2 mode. Since I do 90% of my listening in 2.2 mode, I figured this should be good enough for my needs.
post #43 of 44 Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Oh, just the original studio unit. Not the new ones. But the operation is identical to what ADA is showing.

I missed your reply until now; sorry it didn't work out.

Noah
post #44 of 44 Old 02-02-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

Roger, are you planning to proceed with the evaluation of the Trinnov if you can get your hands on a humless unit?

Not in my home system. Still thinking of an application in some demo rooms, but that's very tentative.

Quote:

I am about to pull the plug on a 30 day trial with on their 4 channel pro unit myself. The beauty is this will not only allow me to do 2.2, using an outboard DAC for mains and their internal DACs for stereo subs, but it can also be configured to do EQ, Xover and time/phase alignment of mains, center and mono subs when I play in 5.2 mode. Since I do 90% of my listening in 2.2 mode, I figured this should be good enough for my needs.

Those features are what really separates Trinnov from the rest. Will be looking forward to your reports.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page