Halcro with a 3D TV - Possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'me emerging from a home theater hiatus and trying to get my system back up and running again. I recently added a Samsung D8000 plasma which is 3D capable. I'm still undecided on whether I will ever use the 3D options, but I am having a bear of a time getting my Halcro SSP-100 to play nicely with the Samsung.

I have two sources (HD cable box, and 3D capable blu ray). Both run into the Halcro via HDMI. I can get sound, but its not passing the video through. I can take the Halcro out of the video chain and send the signal either direct to the Samsung or through a DVDO video processor. Both ways work, but it leaves me having to handle the audio separately.

I'm afraid that my new TV is sending an EDID signal that the older Halcro doesn't understand and it's just shutting the video feed down. Is that possible? Is there a way to update the Halcro to recognize the newer EDID formats? I've reached out to Halcro customer service a number of times (about update the unit) and have heard nothing back. Their US issues are well documented and support is sparse.

Obviously, I'm looking for the best possible combination of audio and video out of my setup. The Halcro SOUNDS amazing, its video side is not as perfect.

Any thoughts on the best way to tackle this?

Thanks in advance,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Buy a 3D BD player that has two HDMI outs and use one for audio to the Halcro and the other directly to the D8000.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Pete - my blu-ray player does have 2 HDMI outputs and I think that's what I will have to do. That also lets me pass 3D blu-ray out to the D8000. What about the cable box? I figured I'd run HDMI to the display and then SPDIF to the Halcro. That should get me where I need to be and gets the Halcro totally out of the video chain.

I'd still love to find a way to get the Halcro updated, but it appears that Halcro is kaput. I guess I'll use it until it breaks or I just can't stand not having TrueHD decoded. It will make for an awfully expensive lesson in not being a first mover!
post #4 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
The non updated Halcro SSP-100 will pass up to 720P/ 1080i, so you should be fine with cable. No 1080P24 on Blu-Ray, so bypass the Hakcro for Blu Ray (why you're not getting a picture). As for audio, you're stuck with lossy. It is a great sounding piece!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #5 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Halcro has serious EDID deficiencies.

Take my advice - unless you enjoy frustration replace it with a state of the art SP that works the first time you connect it.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

I think my lesson learned from my Halcro experience is that you shouldn't mix audio and video in the same pre/pro. It's really tough to do both well at the same time. Halcro sounds better than anything else I've heard, but video is abysmal. But, I'll keep it around, and out of the video stream, as long as it will let me.

My BR player is going to decode TrueHD (and similar) into linear PCM and send it to the Halcro via HDMI. Am I correct in assuming that the early (non-updated) Halcro's can accept and handle multi-channel PCM? Or am I screwed there as well?

Brad
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgers View Post

My BR player is going to decode TrueHD (and similar) into linear PCM and send it to the Halcro via HDMI. Am I correct in assuming that the early (non-updated) Halcro's can accept and handle multi-channel PCM? Or am I screwed there as well?

Brad

You're still screwed. You need the upgrade to do it.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent...
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM

You're lucky you didn't get the upgrade. I bought the upgrade and entered a word of pure video hell culminating in failure of the mother board a few months before the company went out of business.

Spectacular audio but the worst implementation of video pass through imaginable. I don't think anyone working on the unit had ever heard of EDID or HDCP because they certainly didn't know how to make it work.

Still, the SQ was worth the price of the original unit.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 AM

I almost forgot . . . who could ever forget the atrocious user interface and remote?? Great sound, terrible implementation.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

So, ... Now I'm out to find a new pre-pro...

I think it would be smarter to spend less on a pre-pro and upgrade every year to the latest and greatest than spend more and hope to have it be acceptably functional for 5+ years. Ahh, the fun of being a electronics addict...
post #12 of 12 Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, I've decided to put my Halcro SSP-100 up for sale. When I do, I'll post it on the usual venues (AVS, Videogon, Ebay, etc.).

However, I thought I'd give the readers of this thread an opportunity to preempt my marketing efforts. I will make it available to thread readers for 5 days before I post it broadly. If you are interested, send me a PM and mention that you saw this thread. No reasonable offer will be refused!

To recap, it's a like new Halcro SSP-100 that was bought when they first came out (2007). At that time, it carried an MSRP of +/- $10k. The unit is in fantastic condition. It even still has the protective film on the display screen. It is truly "like new". It has not had any of the updates applied and, consequently, doesn't have any of the issues they caused.

The unit will ship in its original box, with the original manual, remote, etc.

I will also include a rackshelf (5U) with the custom silver faceplate for the Halcro.

You won't find a nicer example of this machine. And, you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding pre-pro. It sounds so good, I'm tempted to use it as a 2ch preamp. It's a bit overkill for that, but it would hold its own with most anything out there. I just don't have the space for a dedicated 2ch listening area.

Make me an offer and let's see if we can get this to a new home!
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page