Speakers for new build - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard both Seaton and Genelec? I've been considering Seatons speakers but haven't heard them. I have demoed Genelec and didn't care for them. I preferred B&W over them. Is Genelec similar sounding to Seaton? Meridian is so far my favorite sounding speaker.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for your comments on the CBT. I would invite anyone within driving distance of Detroit to come hear some arrays. We'll be at the AK Fest in Novi,MI April 28/29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post

If you want to venture into something new/cool, I highly recommend Don Keele's CBT Line Array speakers Link I have not heard them but it is easy to grasp their objectives we chase for getting better directivity/coverage in larger setting.

Monte Kay's project/center speaker pic is below

Rick Craig from Selah Audio can custom build for you.

Regards,
Kishore

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #33 of 42 Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Has anyone heard both Seaton and Genelec?

I've heard both, however not extensively enough to give a full comparative opinion. That said, I'm familiar with the thoughts of others that have, and the differences existed in the area of subjective smoothness, and listen-ability with no apparent listening fatigue,...all positive traits of the Seaton Catalyst and those comments were in comparison to the Genelec.

I'd not consider these findings surprising either, as a studio monitor and a high-output, low-distortion HT main have entirely different tasks and environments in which they need to excel. Then, considering the value of the Seaton, I find it a very attractive option. A fully active 3-way 2kw, DSP optimized, coaxial compression HF/MF with freedom from off axis lobing effects, and perhaps the finest mid-bass section in existence, the Catalyst is quite the offering.

Genelec also has an active, three-way coaxial at almost twice the price. However it's output capability isn't geared toward HT, with ~150watts per driver. Their bigger, more powerful monitors like their 1038 is more comparable wrt to output with the Seaton, however it's a bit expensive. Sure, there's other very important elements aside from low distortion, high output capability, but I'm confident the Seaton Catalyst would be viewed very favorably up against comparably priced Genelec offerings.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #34 of 42 Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
With the outlined budget... Seaton is the top choice.
post #35 of 42 Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
+1

I f you are on budget , Seaton's will be hard to beat for HT.

I dont think Genelec's output is any lessthan Seatons. I have owned both.
Genelec lists their max SPL for one speaker and for a pair at 1 and 1.7 mt. If you got upto 1034 and 1039 , the output is upward of 130dB. Seaton doesnt list the max SPL in typical room, so its hard to say one has more output than other.
post #36 of 42 Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I've heard both, however not extensively enough to give a full comparative opinion. That said, I'm familiar with the thoughts of others that have, and the differences existed in the area of subjective smoothness, and listen-ability with no apparent listening fatigue,...all positive traits of the Seaton Catalyst and those comments were in comparison to the Genelec.

I'd not consider these findings surprising either, as a studio monitor and a high-output, low-distortion HT main have entirely different tasks and environments in which they need to excel. Then, considering the value of the Seaton, I find it a very attractive option. A fully active 3-way 2kw, DSP optimized, coaxial compression HF/MF with freedom from off axis lobing effects, and perhaps the finest mid-bass section in existence, the Catalyst is quite the offering.

Genelec also has an active, three-way coaxial at almost twice the price. However it's output capability isn't geared toward HT, with ~150watts per driver. Their bigger, more powerful monitors like their 1038 is more comparable wrt to output with the Seaton, however it's a bit expensive. Sure, there's other very important elements aside from low distortion, high output capability, but I'm confident the Seaton Catalyst would be viewed very favorably up against comparably priced Genelec offerings.

Good luck

I do have my heart set on the Catalyst. Genelecs were just to bright for my ears.

It would be nice if Seaton made some type of Dipole surrounds. Their sparks are just to big for surrounds for my room. I might look at using another brand for surrounds as I have seen many others do that with their Catalyst.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #37 of 42 Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk913 View Post

Starting a new theater with a budget of 75-100K or so...
Need speaker recommendations from folks who have actually heard some higher end products. Will take a listen when I narrow my choices.

First choice would be Procella... but kinda pricey.

I've read about JTR, Seaton, Danley... Will probably drop 10-15 k for the LCR and surround speakers (6). Any other recommendations in this price range for speakers that would meet THX certification.

Not interested in the common players PSB, Klipsch, JBL, AT, Snell, Polk, B&W ect... Looking for gear that is great for HT that I may not have run across in local shops.

Hawk

I am sure we can arrange a full Procella setup demo for you if you are in the Kansas area...by your handle I assume you are...if you are interested.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #38 of 42 Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 PM

In this price range, I would look into a matching set of 5 VMPS RM40s (LRC & surrounds) along with a couple of good subs.
post #39 of 42 Old 01-25-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

Very uniformed and misleading statement. I have auditioned two very nicely done theaters with CAT's and they are second to none for HT . If I go with passive speakers , they will be on top of my list if I can afford their higher end setups. Depending how much of the services you can afford , they can completely customize the audio install for you. They can make the baffles/walls and install multiple drivers in the baffle (so there is no cabinet) and custom make /tune crossovers for your room etc etc .Obviously that kind of install will be north of 100-200K I believe. They are the most dynamic passive speakers I have heard. I have owned B&w's, Paradigms, Kef's , Genelc's, Seatons etc. Even for music they are second to none. The theater I auditioned was setup by CAT engineers and tuned by them . I believe it had either 8 or 12 subs. I don't know if you just buy three of their entry level speakers from net and put them in

Second recommendation for the CAT. Set-up featuring that brand in a specially built room remains the best surround sound I have heard.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #40 of 42 Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishore View Post

If you want to venture into something new/cool, I highly recommend Don Keele's CBT Line Array speakers Link I have not heard them but it is easy to grasp their objectives we chase for getting better directivity/coverage in larger setting.

Monte Kay's project/center speaker pic is below

Rick Craig from Selah Audio can custom build for you.

Regards,
Kishore

Those do look cool! Selah Audio is a place I would like to visit.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #41 of 42 Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

Has anyone heard both Seaton and Genelec? I've been considering Seatons speakers but haven't heard them. I have demoed Genelec and didn't care for them. I preferred B&W over them. Is Genelec similar sounding to Seaton? Meridian is so far my favorite sounding speaker.

If you do not like the sound of the Genelec, then you might want to listen to Triad Platinum's. One of the few speakers out there that use soft domes, but can do the dynamics required for HT.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #42 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I do have my heart set on the Catalyst. Genelecs were just to bright for my ears.

It would be nice if Seaton made some type of Dipole surrounds. Their sparks are just to big for surrounds for my room. I might look at using another brand for surrounds as I have seen many others do that with their Catalyst.

What dipoles are folks using with the seatons?

Also anyone use a HT designer other than those that are popular on the forum and feel that they did superior work?

Hawk
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page