Speakers for new build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Starting a new theater with a budget of 75-100K or so...
Need speaker recommendations from folks who have actually heard some higher end products. Will take a listen when I narrow my choices.

First choice would be Procella... but kinda pricey.

I've read about JTR, Seaton, Danley... Will probably drop 10-15 k for the LCR and surround speakers (6). Any other recommendations in this price range for speakers that would meet THX certification.

Not interested in the common players PSB, Klipsch, JBL, AT, Snell, Polk, B&W ect... Looking for gear that is great for HT that I may not have run across in local shops.

Hawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Go with the Focal SM9 active monitors class A amps inside and the 4x JL Audio F113. Believe me it dont have to cost more then that

Good luck

Alex
post #3 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas25 View Post

Go with the Focal SM9 active monitors class A amps inside and the 4x JL Audio F113. Believe me it dont have to cost more then that

Good luck

Alex

Max SPL in 2 way mode (focal mode) is 106 dB at 1 m and 3 way mode is 116 dB . They are good for near field monitoring I would guess but listening at 15-20 ft , it's difficult to imagine they will provide clean reference level sound with any headroom left . I have never heard them , but just looking at specs , you should audition them at your listening distance before buying them.

Just my 2 cents
post #4 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
PHC are very nice. I heard them at their Tustin showroom. Similar to Procella. Seaton also nice at a more competitive price point.
post #5 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM

You seem to have discounted a few great choices from the start? B&W, PSB, and Klipsch certainly have some offerings within the stated budget range you listed. However it's your money so spend it as you see fit. Check out Magico as they would definately make the neighbors jealous. Happy hunting and good luck.
post #6 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

If you are going with active monitors..definitely look at Genelecs. Seatons are excellent value for the money as well.

mani
post #7 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Not discounting anything. I own PSB Silver i stratus speakers and I love them. Like most folks here I have heard all common brands over the past 20 years repeatedly and I'm looking for speakers I may not be as familiar with.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk913 View Post

Starting a new theater with a budget of 75-100K or so...
Need speaker recommendations from folks who have actually heard some higher end products. Will take a listen when I narrow my choices.

First choice would be Procella... but kinda pricey.

I've read about JTR, Seaton, Danley... Will probably drop 10-15 k for the LCR and surround speakers (6). Any other recommendations in this price range for speakers that would meet THX certification.

Not interested in the common players PSB, Klipsch, JBL, AT, Snell, Polk, B&W ect... Looking for gear that is great for HT that I may not have run across in local shops.

Hawk

For what you are looking for those are all good choices. Also look at Genelec, JBL Pro and Klipsch Pro.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Seaton, Danley, Genelec and Procella was my final short list.

Peter M

post #10 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would also throw CAT and ATC in the mix. Both have offerings closer to realistic levels of expendable income, and are well-built.

ATC the way to go is powered, without question. Then pair them with Seaton subs (x4).

CAT are passive, but pair nicely to ATI amplifiers and you could use their subs or Seatons as well.

Dan

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

post #11 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

+1 on CAT
post #12 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Will probably drop 10-15 k for the LCR and surround speakers (6). Any other recommendations in this price range for speakers that would meet THX certification.

Hawk

Is that $15k for nine speakers (LCR + six surrounds; actually I'm curious about the six surrounds)? That's less than $1700 per speaker on average. Or is that $15k for the fronts, thus $5k each? In either case, that's not a lot of $$$$$ in the "ultra high end HT gear" sense.

I think a lot of guys here are in the $10-15k each category, so is that what you mean, LCR at $15k each or $45k across the front?

Are subs an additional outlay? If so, how many subs?

These are meant to be contextual questions, not attempts at arrogance. The answers you give make a lot of difference in the quality of replies.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #13 of 42 Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Is that $15k for nine speakers (LCR + six surrounds; actually I'm curious about the six surrounds)? That's less than $1700 per speaker on average. Or is that $15k for the fronts, thus $5k each? In either case, that's not a lot of $$$$$ in the "ultra high end HT gear" sense.

I think a lot of guys here are in the $10-15k each category, so is that what you mean, LCR at $15k each or $45k across the front?

These are meant to be contextual questions, not attempts at arrogance. The answers you give make a lot of difference in the quality of replies.

Good point . 15k for 9 speakers won't be enough to qualify for ultra high end at all. You will be better off getting quality LCR's and quality subs and two average surrounds of same manufacturer . You can add other channels when you can.
You could get three seaton catalyst 12s and two catalyst8s for surrounds for about 15k. Or you can buy Genelec 1037s for LCR and 1031 or similar two way for surrounds.. You may have to go used with genelecs to stay in budget. If you had budgeted amplifiers separately, then you can use that money to buys two to 4 subs if you go with active monitors
post #14 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I would check out Procella's P610's for LCR, P6's for surround duty, and a passive P15 (main sub duty) and a P10si as balancing sub. We are new house shopping, and that means a new HT room!!! While my refit budget for the new HT necessitates that I take my existing gear, that is A-OK with me because I have the P6's and a P15, and may try to squeeze in 3 P10si's giving me P610's for LCR speakers. I am real happy with Procella, service is outstanding, speakers are right there with anyones IMHO, and their slim profile is planned as they usually end up in baffle walls. Very dynamic and clean.

Oh yeah, then add 3 DA1400's (their soon to be released 4 channel amps with dsp) to power everything. All amps would be in one rack.

post #15 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Seaton, Danley, Genelec and Procella was my final short list.

I would listen to Peter. He really investigated the audio choices at Cedia the last two years. I would add Adam to the list. I thought they sounded nice. I am not an audiophile, but one who is was looking to pick up a pair.

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #16 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 11:20 AM

+1 for Genelecs

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
post #17 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Not sure of the cost for high end speakers since I haven't looked. I am just looking at this point. Not sure I would spend 15 K on one speaker. I just want to know what to expect for a good set of mains and surrond speakers. If that number is outrageous to me I'll go with a nice set of bose.

Hawk
post #18 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
JBL has some very nice speakers for HT that are not too expensive, you might want to PM Amir (Amirm) for more info.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #19 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

PHC are very nice. I heard them at their Tustin showroom. Similar to Procella. Seaton also nice at a more competitive price point.

On the "Grand Tour" for dynamic home theater solutions, PHC's have been my absolute favorite so far. Can't remember the model I had a listen to, but remember the LCR's had 12'' drivers..........

Wondering why no one has mentioned Triad Platinums............

My Build Threads

post #20 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Why so many horns? For as long as I remember people have always complained about the harsh sound of Klipsch speakers because of the horns. Now it seems horns are all the rage in these dedicated HT speakers. Are most fairly musical or also harsh with music?
post #21 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Why so many horns? For as long as I remember people have always complained about the harsh sound of Klipsch speakers because of the horns. Now it seems horns are all the rage in these dedicated HT speakers. Are most fairly musical or also harsh with music?

Maybe give them a listen and decide for yourself. I own Klipsch reference series and couldn't be happier. I've never been a big fan of making decisions based solely on public opinion.
post #22 of 42 Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Not sure of the cost for high end speakers since I haven't looked. I am just looking at this point. Not sure I would spend 15 K on one speaker. I just want to know what to expect for a good set of mains and surrond speakers. If that number is outrageous to me I'll go with a nice set of bose.

Hawk

How big is the room? dedicated? what is the "typical" volume you'll listen at? e.g. reference level or well below.

I agree with Dan that ATC speakers are fantastic for ht (and 2 channel of course). I don't know about CAT speakers since I've never heard them (but friends in the industry suggested that they are known as the "better sound thanks to marketing" aimed at the uber-rich" but you really need to hear for yourself before deciding). 15k for a bunch of speakers may not be ultra high end but it should get you some pretty darn good sound if implemented properly. Lots of good options out there. I have fully active ATCs in a dedicated room and they can play reference level very well but most of my listening (especially with wife and kids there) is around 25 to 30db BELOW reference. The system walks softly but carries a big stick!

Narrow down your choices by size/output/cost and you should still have a reasonable list to select from. Good luck!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

post #23 of 42 Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

How big is the room? dedicated? what is the "typical" volume you'll listen at? e.g. reference level or well below.

I agree with Dan that ATC speakers are fantastic for ht (and 2 channel of course). I don't know about CAT speakers since I've never heard them (but friends in the industry suggested that they are known as the "better sound thanks to marketing" aimed at the uber-rich" but you really need to hear for yourself before deciding). 15k for a bunch of speakers may not be ultra high end but it should get you some pretty darn good sound if implemented properly. Lots of good options out there. I have fully active ATCs in a dedicated room and they can play reference level very well but most of my listening (especially with wife and kids there) is around 25 to 30db BELOW reference. The system walks softly but carries a big stick!

Narrow down your choices by size/output/cost and you should still have a reasonable list to select from. Good luck!

Room is 17' x 23' with 10' Ceilings.
Probably would listen a little below reference most of the time. Also have Kiddies.
Listened to a room last night with klipsch speakers. Designed by DE. Horns are dynamic. I see why they are used so much for theater applications now.

Peace
post #24 of 42 Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Probably would listen a little below reference most of the time. Also have Kiddies.
Listened to a room last night with klipsch speakers. Designed by DE. Horns are dynamic. I see why they are used so much for theater applications now.

Peace

I thought you might drink the kool-aid once you heard some Klipsch speakers in real world application. Some tend to think the horns are on the bright side for music but they truly do excel for home theater. I personally like mine for my musical tastes as well though. Jeff here in the 816...Mizzou
post #25 of 42 Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peace

That's an excellent sized room. Mine is 17 x 24.5 x 7ft10in. How I wish I had 10 foot ceilings!!! In the next home I will!

It's a fair cubic volume to fill so keep that in mind when looking at speaker output and sensitivity (for calculating power requirements), and number of subs.

Horns certainly have their strengths but just like ice cream you can't be told what flavour to like, you just have to try for yourself.

post #26 of 42 Old 01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

I would check out Procella's P610's for LCR, P6's for surround duty, and a passive P15 (main sub duty) and a P10si as balancing sub. We are new house shopping, and that means a new HT room!!! While my refit budget for the new HT necessitates that I take my existing gear, that is A-OK with me because I have the P6's and a P15, and may try to squeeze in 3 P10si's giving me P610's for LCR speakers. I am real happy with Procella, service is outstanding, speakers are right there with anyones IMHO, and their slim profile is planned as they usually end up in baffle walls. Very dynamic and clean.

Oh yeah, then add 3 DA1400's (their soon to be released 4 channel amps with dsp) to power everything. All amps would be in one rack.

A second on Procella's.
post #27 of 42 Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Because some manufacturers using wave guides and other technology have reduced or eliminated that problem (note the compression driver with foam on top ala Geddes) and the dynamic range of compression drivers cannot be beat IMHO.
post #28 of 42 Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

I agree with Dan that ATC speakers are fantastic for ht (and 2 channel of course). I don't know about CAT speakers since I've never heard them (but friends in the industry suggested that they are known as the "better sound thanks to marketing" aimed at the uber-rich" but you really need to hear for yourself before deciding). . Good luck!

Very uniformed and misleading statement. I have auditioned two very nicely done theaters with CAT's and they are second to none for HT . If I go with passive speakers , they will be on top of my list if I can afford their higher end setups. Depending how much of the services you can afford , they can completely customize the audio install for you. They can make the baffles/walls and install multiple drivers in the baffle (so there is no cabinet) and custom make /tune crossovers for your room etc etc .Obviously that kind of install will be north of 100-200K I believe. They are the most dynamic passive speakers I have heard. I have owned B&w's, Paradigms, Kef's , Genelc's, Seatons etc. Even for music they are second to none. The theater I auditioned was setup by CAT engineers and tuned by them . I believe it had either 8 or 12 subs. I don't know if you just buy three of their entry level speakers from net and put them in a room , how will they will sound. But to say its just marketing and for super rich is misinformed statement. Like saying Ferrari is all hype and marketing to fool uber rich. I can't afford one but its engineered by passion and that comes at a price. Whether you see the value in it is a subjective thing.
post #29 of 42 Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM

If you want to venture into something new/cool, I highly recommend Don Keele's CBT Line Array speakers Link I have not heard them but it is easy to grasp their objectives we chase for getting better directivity/coverage in larger setting.

Monte Kay's project/center speaker pic is below

Rick Craig from Selah Audio can custom build for you.

Regards,
Kishore
post #30 of 42 Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

Very uniformed and misleading statement. I have auditioned two very nicely done theaters with CAT's and they are second to none for HT . If I go with passive speakers , they will be on top of my list if I can afford their higher end setups. Depending how much of the services you can afford , they can completely customize the audio install for you. They can make the baffles/walls and install multiple drivers in the baffle (so there is no cabinet) and custom make /tune crossovers for your room etc etc .Obviously that kind of install will be north of 100-200K I believe. They are the most dynamic passive speakers I have heard. I have owned B&w's, Paradigms, Kef's , Genelc's, Seatons etc. Even for music they are second to none. The theater I auditioned was setup by CAT engineers and tuned by them . I believe it had either 8 or 12 subs. I don't know if you just buy three of their entry level speakers from net and put them in a room , how will they will sound. But to say its just marketing and for super rich is misinformed statement. Like saying Ferrari is all hype and marketing to fool uber rich. I can't afford one but its engineered by passion and that comes at a price. Whether you see the value in it is a subjective thing.

I presume you mean uninformed. Like I said, this is not my opinion but that of a "pro" in the business.

I indicated to the OP that he should make his decision based on his own experience with the brands he is interested in...

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page