Infocus 777 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am still enjoying my 777. Is there something so much better that it is nite and day?

I have not kept up with current devices as I am satisfied with my image. I am not interested in 3D.

Thanls
JOHN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
emf

Liked: 11
Night and Day difference from Infocus 777?

What about Digital Projections latest native Scope projector with 2560 x 1080 micro mirrors chip? Can't find a price, probably hidden by sheer embarrassment, and most likely way out there approximating cost of a new car. But what good is a new car if your car runs just fine?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well the original 777 was 30K euro, they later reworked it and it was priced at 20K, going for 15K at the end. But if it was the Kodak 333 version from the AVS sale, it was something like 6-8K USD, so he may or may not be scared by the price levels of PD, or Sim2, or DPI, or Runco, or Christie and Barco, or the new 4K Sony.

Is there a new version of that PD? Didn't stop at the PD booth at ISE, as it looked like it showed the same stuff as last year, and I had a few more halls to do in the last hour of the show.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 78
It kind of depends on your viewing environment. How many screen widths do you sit from your current screen? The biggest diffrences you will see between your 777 and current 1080p projectors will be the size of screen you can have (or how close you view) without seeing artifacts due to the increased resolution, and on/off contrast. The 777 is a fantastic 720p light canon. On/off contrast/black levels (especially in JVCs) today are quite remarkable. If you have a room with poor light control (quite a bit of ambient light bouncing back from the boundaries) you might not notice as dramatic a difference. But if you are reasonably well light-controlled, the difference will truly striking.

With regards to lumens, the JVCs also happen to have a about the highest lumens after calibration.

Finally, most of these projectors cost near half what the 777 sold for in its day.

I think you will only know the answer to your question by finding a good demo to give you a comparison.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Cam MAn..

Therein lies the rub...hard to find good set-ups these days. IN the past I always liked the 3DLP for a more natural look. Also, they tended to do better with less than stellar inputs. Today there are is much more HD content and of course bluray. The LCos or Sxrd projectors may now be the choice at hand.

I need to get my hands on a few and try them...there contrast numbers are vastly improved and I barely watch any 480p or less content....

Regards
John
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM

just upgraded from sp777 to sony vw1000es. temporarily had jvc rs45 in interim. 777 is brightest of the 3. once you get used to brightness, its hard to go back. For me, the jvc black levels did not impress. The DLP motion smoothness and brightness trumped the increased contrast ratio.

1080p and 4k are big improvements, especially on bluray and new movie streams. The colors of the sp777 are good and can be perfect after calibration. I really like the dlp picture, but the new Sony really is unbelievable. The Sony is the only picture I've seen that made me say "Wow! I need that". Haven't had a demo of a Sim2 Lumis, but the extra brightness might make it better for bigger screens.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page