post #271 of 318 Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

The first thing to point out is that apparently the 4K Server that comes with the TV is linked to this specific display. One of the first steps in setting up the display is to "authenticate" the Server and display by going online with both. I guess that rules out sharing the Server with other 4K owners...........

The Experia Tablet they include to control the Server is a nice touch. I'll spend more time with the TV beginning Sunday (we are at Disney for the next two days).

Jim

How does the Experia work with the Server?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 318 Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

How does the Experia work with the Server?

The TV, the server and the Experia are linked by a wireless IP router built in to the TV or by your hardwired ethernet network. The TV wireless or ethernet are locked down and access is denied.
You start an app called 4K that you previously have downloaded to the Experia and it brings up a media manager that shows all the available videos on the video player with film art for each one..
During setup you assign or the installer asigns one 4K input for your 4K video player
You select the Video Player input on your TV and it shows the 4K app which is running on the Experia.
You select a video on the Experia and the film art and video info shows on your TV screen.
Select Play or resume from where you paused previously and the video plays in 3840 X 3160.

One glitch

if you have pass through 4K on your Pre/Pro or AVR, or you can play 4K there is no problem. The TV picks up the correct HDMI EDID info and all is good.
If you do not have a 4K Pre/Pro or AVR then you are limited to stereo audio either via optical from the video player to your AVR or through the Sony TV speakers.
You can convert the stereo audio in your AVR to a faux 5.1 surround format.
Sony 4K tech service says they have addressed the HD audio issue in the soon to be released 4K video player which owners are supposed to be receiving as an update.

Stew
post #273 of 318 Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

The TV, the server and the Experia are linked by a wireless IP router built in to the TV or by your hardwired ethernet network. The TV wireless or ethernet are locked down and access is denied.
You start an app called 4K that you previously have downloaded to the Experia and it brings up a media manager that shows all the available videos on the video player with film art for each one..
During setup you assign or the installer asigns one 4K input for your 4K video player
You select the Video Player input on your TV and it shows the 4K app which is running on the Experia.
You select a video on the Experia and the film art and video info shows on your TV screen.
Select Play or resume from where you paused previously and the video plays in 3840 X 3160.

One glitch

if you have pass through 4K on your Pre/Pro or AVR, or you can play 4K there is no problem. The TV picks up the correct HDMI EDID info and all is good.
If you do not have a 4K Pre/Pro or AVR then you are limited to stereo audio either via optical from the video player to your AVR or through the Sony TV speakers.
You can convert the stereo audio in your AVR to a faux 5.1 surround format.
Sony 4K tech service says they have addressed the HD audio issue in the soon to be released 4K video player which owners are supposed to be receiving as an update.

Stew

Ok then you first have to download the app to the Experia, its not already on the tablet? Do you need the Experia to play the 4K material?
post #274 of 318 Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok then you first have to download the app to the Experia, its not already on the tablet? Do you need the Experia to play the 4K material?

The remote app is available for download to an Android device at the Google Play Store
Called 4K Ultra HD Remote

To be truthful, I do not remember if it was preloaded. It may have been.
I spent a lot of time with Sony 4K tech service trying to reconfigure the video player to output multichannel via the optical link to no avail and we loaded and reloaded a lot of items.
We managed to crash my original video player necessitating Sony sending a replacement video player.
The operating system is locked down to remove any possibility the one might offload the video files so manipulating it is a bear.
Can you imagine the size of the icons and buttons look like at 3840X2160 on a 84" screen. Very Very small
post #275 of 318 Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The remote app is available for download to an Android device at the Google Play Store
Called 4K Ultra HD Remote

To be truthful, I do not remember if it was preloaded. It may have been.
I spent a lot of time with Sony 4K tech service trying to reconfigure the video player to output multichannel via the optical link to no avail and we loaded and reloaded a lot of items.
We managed to crash my original video player necessitating Sony sending a replacement video player.
The operating system is locked down to remove any possibility the one might offload the video files so manipulating it is a bear.
Can you imagine the size of the icons and buttons look like at 3840X2160 on a 84" screen. Very Very small

What about the optical out of the set? Does that work?
post #276 of 318 Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for all that info "thestewman," I plan to hook it all up tomorrow (just back home).

Jim
post #277 of 318 Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What about the optical out of the set? Does that work?

Yes, There is an digital audio optical out. It will still be compressed audio signal.
post #278 of 318 Old 06-23-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all that info "thestewman," I plan to hook it all up tomorrow (just back home).

Jim

Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Sony. What do you use for regular content provider, cable, directv etc.?
post #279 of 318 Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim

What happened to The Sony Concierge delivery and installation that is part of the purchase deal ?
There actually was a Sony Installer check list for the installer to fill out and send to Sony
post #280 of 318 Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I declined their "assistance." I have my own people, and would rather do it myself. That's 90% of the fun associated with this hobby/addiction!smile.gif Besides, I have you guys to fall back on .........biggrin.gif

Jim
post #281 of 318 Old 06-23-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Seriously, the offer was made, but my scheduling made it easier for me to handle it. I did see the form you are referring to and it will be completed and returned to Sony. (BTW, the installer "help" document that was in the box was not completely accurate, but I managed to get thru it okay.)

Jim
post #282 of 318 Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seriously, the offer was made, but my scheduling made it easier for me to handle it. I did see the form you are referring to and it will be completed and returned to Sony. (BTW, the installer "help" document that was in the box was not completely accurate, but I managed to get thru it okay.)

Jim

I wanted them to cart away my old 70"Sony Qualia and unpack the new Sony so I accepted the offer.

Our free help comes at a price. Sometime you will have to have everyone over for a beer
post #283 of 318 Old 06-23-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted them to cart away my old 70"Sony Qualia and unpack the new Sony so I accepted the offer.

Our free help comes at a price. Sometime you will have to have everyone over for a beer

Oh...that;s too bad about the Qualia. Hope it had a dignified end. I had one and loved it. Never had an OB go bad either but I am sure it was ready to go.
One of the best sets ever made.
post #284 of 318 Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh...that;s too bad about the Qualia. Hope it had a dignified end. I had one and loved it. Never had an OB go bad either but I am sure it was ready to go.
One of the best sets ever made.

Funny, we seem to buying the same gear, I had one as well, kept it 4+ years and also never experienced any problems.

On a side note, a very quick viewing of passive 3D on this 84 has me convinced that is the best option for 3D viewing. I was not a fan of 3D until I put a DPI Titan Ref 3D in my theatre. The 3D was superb (still is), but you have to accept active 3D. The passive 3D I've seen historically didn't do much for me, BUT on this Sony 84 it is incredible, it was even a WOW moment from my wife.smile.gif (I'll also need to order another pair of the Playstation SimulView 3D glasses, the TV only came with one. You would think with "SimulView" someone would understand we expect two pairs..........biggrin.gif

Jim
post #285 of 318 Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

If the Sony does 3D as good as the LG I will be thrilled.
post #286 of 318 Old 06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't see the 3D on the LG, but it is excellent on my 84" Sony. My Titan Ref 3D PJ in my theatre is active and produces an incredible 3D image (thanks to Lon for recommending the RealD gear), but the passive Sony is easier to watch and has at least as good a 3D image. You should not be disappointed.smile.gif

Jim
post #287 of 318 Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

And the 3D you are watching is an 1080P source.
Wait until you try a 4K 3D source. Each eye will see twice the resolution.
post #288 of 318 Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't see the 3D on the LG, but it is excellent on my 84" Sony. My Titan Ref 3D PJ in my theatre is active and produces an incredible 3D image (thanks to Lon for recommending the RealD gear), but the passive Sony is easier to watch and has at least as good a 3D image. You should not be disappointed.smile.gif

Jim

At least as good as a Titan Reference 3D? That's impressive. You must have one heck of a HT.
post #289 of 318 Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:

Funny, we seem to buying the same gear, I had one as well, kept it 4+ years and also never experienced any problems.

On a side note, a very quick viewing of passive 3D on this 84 has me convinced that is the best option for 3D viewing. I was not a fan of 3D until I put a DPI Titan Ref 3D in my theatre. The 3D was superb (still is), but you have to accept active 3D. The passive 3D I've seen historically didn't do much for me, BUT on this Sony 84 it is incredible, it was even a WOW moment from my wife.smile.gif (I'll also need to order another pair of the Playstation SimulView 3D glasses, the TV only came with one. You would think with "SimulView" someone would understand we expect two pairs..........biggrin.gif

When was the last time before that that you gave your wife a "wow" moment? Then again I seem to remember you having enough small children to field a basketball team... smile.gif

Jim

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #290 of 318 Old 06-29-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Got my Sony today, very happy. The PQ has a film like look, smooth yet sharp. Has to be the superior up-scaling abilities.

Black levels are very satisfactory. Been playing with the settings and looks like lots of control over the look.

One mystery however, in the main settings I only have Standard, Vivid, and Custom. I have gone into preferences and 'unlocked' the settings. Wasn't there a Cinema 1 and Cinema 2 and Sports as well?

Also got the media server and tablet but the installers didn't hook it up and wanted the Sony people to do it instead. Although after reading the instructions I am sure I can do it but a little hesitant since it might affect the warranty on the media server?

Jim
post #291 of 318 Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

That's great, welcome to the owner's club.smile.gif

The Server is very easy to hook up:

Cat5 from Server to your home Router (or wireless, your choice, but if wireless then you need to use the included Linksys Wireless Media Bridge. You would Cat 5 Server to Bridge, then wireless Bridge to your Router). Sony is wireless TV as well so it also speaks to the Server through your Router to Bridge. HDMI from your Dell 4k Server to Input #2 on the TV.

The Experia Tablet comes with the 4K program preloaded, it's on the main screen. Once you have all the components on the same network, just select the 4K app and it will automatically search for a connected 4K media player (the Dell 4K PC).

That's it, then just select content and play.

(Be sure HDMI is correct for 4K content.)

Jim
post #292 of 318 Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my Sony today, very happy. The PQ has a film like look, smooth yet sharp. Has to be the superior up-scaling abilities.

Black levels are very satisfactory. Been playing with the settings and looks like lots of control over the look.

One mystery however, in the main settings I only have Standard, Vivid, and Custom. I have gone into preferences and 'unlocked' the settings. Wasn't there a Cinema 1 and Cinema 2 and Sports as well?

Also got the media server and tablet but the installers didn't hook it up and wanted the Sony people to do it instead. Although after reading the instructions I am sure I can do it but a little hesitant since it might affect the warranty on the media server?

Jim
What warranty on the media server ? Sony is only lending that to you and they still own it and are responsible for it.
I had their tech people trying to change the audio settings of the sound card settings and crashed the original one.
They did send a replacement overnight that took 7 days to arrive.
post #293 of 318 Old 06-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's great, welcome to the owner's club.smile.gif

The Server is very easy to hook up:

Cat5 from Server to your home Router (or wireless, your choice, but if wireless then you need to use the included Linksys Wireless Media Bridge. You would Cat 5 Server to Bridge, then wireless Bridge to your Router). Sony is wireless TV as well so it also speaks to the Server through your Router to Bridge. HDMI from your Dell 4k Server to Input #2 on the TV.

The Experia Tablet comes with the 4K program preloaded, it's on the main screen. Once you have all the components on the same network, just select the 4K app and it will automatically search for a connected 4K media player (the Dell 4K PC).

That's it, then just select content and play.

(Be sure HDMI is correct for 4K content.)

Jim

My only complaint, and one that I have been very vocal about.
What you have then is low rez highly compressed 2 channel stereo sound.
post #294 of 318 Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My only complaint, and one that I have been very vocal about.
What you have then is low rez highly compressed 2 channel stereo sound.

Are you using optical from the set or pulling audio from the server?

I am using optical from the set into my AVR but I can't get any sound. Not sure if its the TV or AVR. Are there particular setting to need to set in the audio setting of the TV?
post #295 of 318 Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you using optical from the set or pulling audio from the server?

I am using optical from the set into my AVR but I can't get any sound. Not sure if its the TV or AVR. Are there particular setting to need to set in the audio setting of the TV?

I have never tried using the optical out from the display as I would need a 25 ft run of optical cable to get to my Pre/pro.

Do you get audio you can hear to the displays speaker system thru the HDMI ?

Try connecting directly from the video player optical out on the sound card to your AVR.
post #296 of 318 Old 06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have never tried using the optical out from the display as I would need a 25 ft run of optical cable to get to my Pre/pro.

Do you get audio you can hear to the displays speaker system thru the HDMI ?

Try connecting directly from the video player optical out on the sound card to your AVR.

I don't have the Sony speakers on. I will try connecting to the video player, just have to get a longer optical cable.
post #297 of 318 Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I see the Sony Media player is coming out in July so I really won't have to worry about optical with that. It has 2 HDMI outputs. One for Video/Audio and the second for just Audio. That I can put directly into my AVR.
post #298 of 318 Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see the Sony Media player is coming out in July so I really won't have to worry about optical with that. It has 2 HDMI outputs. One for Video/Audio and the second for just Audio. That I can put directly into my AVR.
I am hoping that will be the solution to the multichannel problem.
Yet I do not see anywhere there is a way to select which audio file to play or if there multiple sound codecs to select from in the 4K files.
The 4K app on the Experia tabllet currently does not have that capability.
If Dolby or DTS low loss files are in the 4K videos some users may not have the capability to decode or bitstream the Dolby or DTS no loss audio.

Sony is not saying anything about it.
post #299 of 318 Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think we would select the audio (DTS-MA, or DTHD) on screen in the movie "Setup" section of the movie, as we currently do with some movies (in my K system I have default's set). I did not read up on the new 4K Player, but it probably bitstream's to a pre-pro or receiver. I know that currently we do not have the ability to reach that disc menu system with the 4K titles we have in this 4K server, but I'm hoping that will change with the new 4K Player (it can certainly be done, we can currently do it with our K systems).

Jim
post #300 of 318 Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would think we would select the audio (DTS-MA, or DTHD) on screen in the movie "Setup" section of the movie, as we currently do with some movies (in my K system I have default's set). I did not read up on the new 4K Player, but it probably bitstream's to a pre-pro or receiver. I know that currently we do not have the ability to reach that disc menu system with the 4K titles we have in this 4K server, but I'm hoping that will change with the new 4K Player (it can certainly be done, we can currently do it with our K systems).

Jim

Understandably when you are dealing with any manufacturer who does not own a movie studio.
Sony is so paranoid about someone offloading a movie file that this is the result of that effort to control it.
Not even their tech service people will allow access to the OS or files except inside the company.
When Sony was working with me to try to change from stereo to multichannel we hung the Windows 7 OS they are using.
Instead of unlocking the OS they shipped another Video player.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page