Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 318 Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just read this in the Sony 4k Media player FMP-X1 thread. Unconfirmed currently

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I'm interested in a review but, there may be a problem.

Maybe it won't effect the Sony VPL-VW1000? The following post was taken from the Sony 4k media streamer FMP-x1 forum.

"Hello gang. I already have the Sony 4K media player. And I have some really bad news. You are NOT gonna like this.

Short version: I hooked the media player up (correctly) and received the error that the TV could not connect to the media player, along with a variety of error codes. After several hours of this, I returned the first unit and got a fresh one. Same problem exactly.

Enter Sony support. I talked to various people 'up the chain' until I got to a person who actually understood what the issue was. I hope you're sitting down:

Evidently, at the 11th hour, Sony decided to change the HDCP employed in these players. This new version of HDCP is not - I repeat NOT - compatible with virtually *any* 4K television that Sony has sold to date. If you purchased a Sony 4K TV of any size at any time before, I don't know, the last 14 days or so, chances are you're affected.

The solution, per Sony: The entire HDMI board in the TV has to be changed before the media player will work. Of course, Sony will set this up for you. When the part is available. And when the technicians have time. Because, you know, they have to now change the HDMI boards on almost *every* 4K TV they've ever made.

Am I the only person who's more than a little irritated that I just spent close to $7K on a beautiful new TV that effectively now cannot play the *only* 4K content in existence? Truly, truly unbelievable.

Questions? Ask away. But my advice: don't order the media player yet. Get your set's board changed first. Then, you won't have to endure the frustration I've endured today. Grrr......"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 318 Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Understandably when you are dealing with any manufacturer who does not own a movie studio.
Sony is so paranoid about someone offloading a movie file that this is the result of that effort to control it.
Not even their tech service people will allow access to the OS or files except inside the company.
When Sony was working with me to try to change from stereo to multichannel we hung the Windows 7 OS they are using.
Instead of unlocking the OS they shipped another Video player.

Yup, I'd heard the story about the fight between the hardware side of Sony and the content (movie) side over getting access to some 4K content to help show off the 4K's. My understanding is the content side placed a bunch of restrictions on the distribution. Might be true given what we are seeing. Cannot really complain, always knew I was only buying the TV and the content was "on loan." (limitations and all).smile.gif

Jim
post #303 of 318 Old 07-01-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Just read this in the Sony 4k Media player FMP-X1 thread. Unconfirmed currently

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I'm interested in a review but, there may be a problem.

Maybe it won't effect the Sony VPL-VW1000? The following post was taken from the Sony 4k media streamer FMP-x1 forum.

"Hello gang. I already have the Sony 4K media player. And I have some really bad news. You are NOT gonna like this.

Short version: I hooked the media player up (correctly) and received the error that the TV could not connect to the media player, along with a variety of error codes. After several hours of this, I returned the first unit and got a fresh one. Same problem exactly.

Enter Sony support. I talked to various people 'up the chain' until I got to a person who actually understood what the issue was. I hope you're sitting down:

Evidently, at the 11th hour, Sony decided to change the HDCP employed in these players. This new version of HDCP is not - I repeat NOT - compatible with virtually *any* 4K television that Sony has sold to date. If you purchased a Sony 4K TV of any size at any time before, I don't know, the last 14 days or so, chances are you're affected.

The solution, per Sony: The entire HDMI board in the TV has to be changed before the media player will work. Of course, Sony will set this up for you. When the part is available. And when the technicians have time. Because, you know, they have to now change the HDMI boards on almost *every* 4K TV they've ever made.

Am I the only person who's more than a little irritated that I just spent close to $7K on a beautiful new TV that effectively now cannot play the *only* 4K content in existence? Truly, truly unbelievable.

Questions? Ask away. But my advice: don't order the media player yet. Get your set's board changed first. Then, you won't have to endure the frustration I've endured today. Grrr......"

Good thing we have our "Dell's" until this is all worked out.biggrin.gif

Jim
post #304 of 318 Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

Yup, I'd heard the story about the fight between the hardware side of Sony and the content (movie) side over getting access to some 4K content to help show off the 4K's. My understanding is the content side placed a bunch of restrictions on the distribution. Might be true given what we are seeing. Cannot really complain, always knew I was only buying the TV and the content was "on loan." (limitations and all).smile.gif

Jim

+1
Anyway the content isn't all that good and new content may not be available until the fall.
post #305 of 318 Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

I would think we would select the audio (DTS-MA, or DTHD) on screen in the movie "Setup" section of the movie, as we currently do with some movies (in my K system I have default's set). I did not read up on the new 4K Player, but it probably bitstream's to a pre-pro or receiver. I know that currently we do not have the ability to reach that disc menu system with the 4K titles we have in this 4K server, but I'm hoping that will change with the new 4K Player (it can certainly be done, we can currently do it with our K systems).

Jim

Are we just assuming that there are additional audio formats in the file? There may not be. They could have encoded them as basic stereo only. Remember this is a custom encoding job for the server. And furthermore even adding additional audio CODECS to DVD's and BluRay's requires a procedure. The audio data is not part of the video file at the encoding stage.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #306 of 318 Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Are we just assuming that there are additional audio formats in the file? There may not be. They could have encoded them as basic stereo only. Remember this is a custom encoding job for the server. And furthermore even adding additional audio CODECS to DVD's and BluRay's requires a procedure. The audio data is not part of the video file at the encoding stage.

I agree on what you are stating.
But think about it.
Sony is spending huge dollars and time to encode the video into 4K or transfer an original file done in 4K.
Would they not want to avail themselves of the highest quality audio stream ? Understandably older video files may not have had originally multichannel formats but that would be easily redone.
Take for example a video like Spiderman 2. A user purchasing or renting a Bluray 1080P disc gets Dolby TRUE HD or DTS-HD Master or a downward selection and a 4K file purchaser only gets stereo or Dolby Digital or Dolby ProLogic ? Sony Wake up
post #307 of 318 Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Actually, a good point, that was "my" assumption and you may be correct. Don't know. Frankly, I'm personally not all that concerned, the 84 is not my primary viewing display, and for the uses I have planned for it I'll be using primarily 1080 sources and a separate audio system.

Jim
post #308 of 318 Old 08-24-2013, 02:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I saw the new 4K TV woa is all I can say there was a picture of fruit plate with grape displayed, "my wife reached over and said, woa these look so real you could almost eat them" smile.gif. I want one, better yet I wan the 4K projector,Sony please bring the price down to earth smile.gif
Sabidox likes this.
post #309 of 318 Old 08-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the Sony 4k UltraHD TV at a display booth in Europe this summer, and it looked absolutely amazing. The image quality was just incredible. The display video they were running was clearly intended to demonstrate this. With videos of running water, or fireworks, the display looked absolutely incredible. Definitely worth checking out.
post #310 of 318 Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 PM

me too,I guess what they say is true, the older you get, the more wrong you are about the future too,thanks kUH9
post #311 of 318 Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to "dreaux" here is a link to a comment about Sony upgrading their 4K's to HDMI 2.0.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/news/1809380-ifa-2013-sony-4k-x9-tv-get-software-upgrade-hdmi-2-0-compatibility.html

Jim
post #312 of 318 Old 09-08-2013, 08:25 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

post #313 of 318 Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like Samsung is in the mix. But they are going to "stream" content? I have a 58mps upload and 38mps download from verizon and Fios/Netflix buffers every time I try and watch a movie.

http://entertainment.verizon.com/news/read/category/Top%20News/article/ap-samsung_teams_up_with_comcast_for_ultrah-ap

Cheers!
post #314 of 318 Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I saw the new 4K TV woa is all I can say there was a picture of fruit plate with grape displayed, "my wife reached over and said, woa these look so real you could almost eat them" smile.gif. I want one, better yet I wan the 4K projector,Sony please bring the price down to earth smile.gif

BB was showing the same feed on their Sony 4K. It was amazing and I can only imagine how good it would look if it were set up correctly.

Cheers!
post #315 of 318 Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

As usual Sony 4K adopters are screwed.

Sony 4K TVs from 2013 lack the ability to stream Netflix since they don't have the built-in H.265/HEVC decoders found on newer sets, so owners of those sets could conceivably buy a FMP-X10 to fill in the hole.

post #316 of 318 Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have s65 with the server but cant find either 3d or 4k in netflix, is it my sub package? or the sony server?
post #317 of 318 Old 05-11-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

As usual Sony 4K adopters are screwed.

Sony 4K TVs from 2013 lack the ability to stream Netflix since they don't have the built-in H.265/HEVC decoders found on newer sets, so owners of those sets could conceivably buy a FMP-X10 to fill in the hole.

I learned from when I purchase my first Sony HDTV, to wait for the second generation.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #318 of 318 Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_327000_32428010_pe_row1_b1/?ASIN=B00BSREPRS

Why did they have to put these ridiculous speakers!
That's the second reason I waited. There are new models that do not have those speakers.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page