post #181 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Would be wonderful. But then they have to hurry up and start to shoot the [remaining seasons in the A Game of Thrones] series on a 4K camera and not on a rather "soft" 2K camera they have been/are doing now.

Right now it looks 'something like' seven books playing out over eleven or twelve seasons . . . so there's still some time left to experiment with higher resolution...?!
_

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I know no heads of studios but Sony seems to be in position to get this going. Answer the rest of the question about the only hope.....
Art

Exactly right. Sony is the only one with both the hardware and content to make this happen. They already have their 4K projectors, have announced an 84" 4K LCD direct view, and confirmed the PS4 will be able to play 4K native content. So for those that can afford it, Sony's push into the 4K market should being to start 3rd quarter 2103 and go mainstream with the launch of the PS4 for Christmas 2013. Becasue of the chicken/egg problem there will probably only be a hanful of AAA 4K movies available at launch like the Amazing Spiderman and prices will probably be very high. I would guess $49 or higher MSRP.
post #183 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Sure. There is no 4K content around the corner. As I noted in my original post, hardware companies will march on toward 4K like there is no tomorrow. I heard at CES they no longer let anyone show 1080p equipment. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Upsampling and passing through 4k is just a hardware problem that is easily solvable. Getting 4K content to consumer is way more than that.
Why do you ask? You have seen an announcement from studio head saying they will shortly be putting out 4K content?
So, Sony will build a 4K projector. They won't stay there, but they will also include 4K in their next version of PS. But their studios won't produce 4K content.

No wonder they are doing so poorly with this kind of planning. Or

Amir may be wrong, eek.gif

like it is possible.
post #184 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:

I know no heads of studios but Sony seems to be in position to get this going.
By themselves? Little chance of that happening. I suspect it will take at least 3 studios signing up or nothing will happen. People want to be sure that if the effort goes south (think of it damaging BD prospects with confusion created for the consumer as far as compatibility), they are not the only ones holding the bag smile.gif.

That said, for random releases not tied to BD format they may produce a piece of content or two (think of give away movies with their TVs and PCs which did not succeed at the end of the day).
Quote:
Answer the rest of the question about the only hope.....
Art
I was working on something at the time and key to that was data as to what people are willing to pay and what timing is acceptable. I post the question on one of the threads here and not one person answered. So I did not push it anymore and that activity should it still be alive will not be for the benefit of anyone here.

To be more clear, should the studios want to do something (and I am not saying they are or aren't), there has to be potential for increased revenue, or monetizing a window that is not making money right now. I hope no one thinks they will simply start stamping out 4K content and charge what they have been doing with BD. That is a zero sum game. Heck, it is worse than that since the production cost and replication will likely be higher so it will make no economic sense. A market of millions of dollars in *incremental* revenue needs to be shown to exist.

I am happy to probe again to see if there is any receptivity to the idea of a release package for enthusiasts. To get there, we need to quantify the market size and willingness of people to sign up. How much of a premium will you pay? Do you care if the content is in the same window as BD or do you need it to be earlier? Rental is good enough? How about content protection? As I said, likely HDMI is not sufficient. Will people buy DCI servers?

Amir
Founder,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #185 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

By themselves? Little chance of that happening. I suspect it will take at least 3 studios signing up or nothing will happen.

Sony owns a few studios themselves with several blockbuster titles under their belt. They can get the ball rolling with 4k as they did with Bluray.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #186 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Sony owns a few studios themselves with several blockbuster titles under their belt. They can get the ball rolling with 4k as they did with Bluray.
They didn't get the ball rolling that way with Blu-ray. By the time the format launched they had a number of studios on their side. Sony's market share is about 14%. So what they do will not make a market.

But really, that is beside the point. As I mentioned, the key thing is that no studio exec wants to take such risks alone. If three studios do something and it doesn't work, you may not lose your job. Otherwise you may be shown the door. I have taken countless proposals to studios and without exception they ask for other studios to partner with them or they won't do it.

Even with Howard Stringer out, the studio is very independent in its decision making. They are not going to risk their profitability to serve a hardware division that is losing money.

Of course, folks could make exceptional decisions and do otherwise. But if you want to base your thinking on how the town works, the above is it smile.gif.

Amir
Founder,

post #187 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 97
It seems to me that two things must be true before it is worth Sony (and others) developing|selling BD4k2k players and authoring movies on BD4k2k 'discs':
  1. There must be an installed consumer base (or projected installed base) of 1440|1600|2160 line 'home entertainment' displays on which it is at least theoretically possible that native BD4k2k content might appear superior to upconverted [1080] BD content.
  2. There must be a subset of owners who believe that they will|do actually see that superior picture and are willing to pay the (extra) cost for a BD4k2k player and native BD4k2k content.

Absent serious market numbers suggesting 'how many' and 'when' these potential consumers might appear . . . and a business model that delivers a net profit to the CEMs and content providers who choose to be involved, I'm afraid we'll just have to wait a while longer!

Of course, it would also be possible to 'sweeten the deal' for consumers (even those who retain only 1080 displays) by expanding the max audio capacity of BD4k2k content, e.g., from 8 to16 lossless channels!
_

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #188 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I believe we will see it at premium cost in the next year or two and premium isn't crap like one has to be making millions to afford it.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #189 of 318 Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I just don't get the "this time it is different logic". Come on guys. How many times have we been here? How many times the result was "different"?

I am not arguing about benefits or perceived benefits. But this is happening.
post #190 of 318 Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I posted this in the $3000+ projector forum. Repost here for those that doesn't frequent that section much.
Quote:
New release approximate for the RED laser projector. (simultaneously 2x4K 3D > 4K for each eye, passive 3D)

From the RED forum yesterday;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred Land
Projector starts rolling out end of the year to some select installations... we have a period of Field FCC testing that takes place before they can be shipped to random people. They should be in the store for normal purchase sometime in the first few months of 2013.

REDRAY as mentioned will be ahead of the projector...

Quote:
SO many questions I may burst...

How simply will content creation for REDRAY be provided for? Will RED provide an SDK to software houses creating authoring tools, or just provide a RED application for this process? What degree of interactivity could be supported?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred Land
Great question.. and after spending 3 days f***ing around with X264 settings to compress this video and still not even come close to the quality of REDRAY encoding it makes me appreciate RR even more.

There will be a standalone and an RCX integrated solution for encoding to RedRAY format.
post #191 of 318 Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I am happy to probe again to see if there is any receptivity to the idea of a release package for enthusiasts. To get there, we need to quantify the market size and willingness of people to sign up. How much of a premium will you pay? Do you care if the content is in the same window as BD or do you need it to be earlier? Rental is good enough? How about content protection? As I said, likely HDMI is not sufficient. Will people buy DCI servers?

There is a premium market for everything. 1st class plane tickets, name brand food vs generic, upscale restaurants, clothing, electronics, water... I don't see why there wouldn't be a market for better quality movies. Hollywood just hasn't found the right balance yet. They need a 1st class offering, not buy the entire plane and a flight crew to go with it. Something doctors, lawyers, engineers, business owners, upper management, etc can afford.. Regular people with extra money to spend, but not money to burn.

Will people buy DCI servers? Not for $30k and $500/movie. DTheater and Laserdisc were about 1/15th of that and represented the premium content for their time, especially laser disc. I certainly think there is still a market for premium content delivered on what most people would consider an "expensive" player with expensive media.

What would a good LD player or a working DTheater player cost today? Same release window as BD. Rental preferred, but in exchange for lower media costs. Don't mind streaming as long as it's spooled locally for playback (no glitches, drop outs, or pauses) and in all ways better than Bluray. Don't care about content protection either... phone home, 2 factor identify... just as long as the wife can use it without hassle. Other desirables for a premium box:
  • Hardware set 1 time (by installer) with preferences. Software queries the hardware to see what options to select, and only prompts the user for interaction as last resort.
  • No menus, just play the movie in the best quality possible (based on preferences). Not only is that convenient, but it eliminates spoilers forcing audience to watch clips of the movie they are about to watch (for the first time) while navigating the menu.
  • Have it do whatever maintenance crap it needs to do while I'm at work. Nothing worse than working all day, or having friends over, then being told I need to sit through a 1 hour firmware update before I can watch the movie.
  • Please no Java either. Get someone that understands how computers work to code the software for your box.

post #192 of 318 Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Not asking for much are you

post #193 of 318 Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I doubt REDRAY is going to happen for consumer "4k" media. It's H.265 or nothing because the manufactures (many own or partially own studios too) want skin in the game (royalty money) and with the MPEG, they do. If RED had any say in the development of the H.265 lossy codec, I have no clue.

It sure isn't about the ultimate quality in consumers' hands... never has been.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #194 of 318 Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM

Liked: 44
Sony’s Marty, BDA’s Parsons Talk Blu-ray
Quote:
Q: Apple has made a point of saying that its new retina displays actually have more pixels than an HDTV, suggesting the picture quality is better than Blu-ray. Do you think Blu-ray will be able to become more high-def with greater resolution? Is there a next-gen HD in the works?

Parsons: We are already at the maximum resolution available for the HDTV systems currently in use around the world (1080p), so the only way to become “more high def” would be to incorporate 4K resolution into the format. At present, the BDA is not working on a 4K version of Blu-ray, but if and when the time comes to do that, we believe the 50GB capacity should allow us to accommodate the much higher data rates that 4K sources require.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/sony-s-marty-bda-s-parsons-talk-blu-ray-27515
post #195 of 318 Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM

HBO Exec Disses 4K's Chances
Quote:
Washington, D.C. (September 4, 2012) -- Some tech pundits are proclaiming the 4K TV as the next big thing in home video. But don't tell that to HBO Chief Technology Officer Robert Zitter.

4K TVs, which are expected to be available for sale late this year, purport to offer a resolution four times greater than current HDTVs. But asked about the new technology at an industry trade show in Berlin, PC World writes that Zitter noted that HBO and other programmers would have to build a new production infrastructure to accommodate a switch to 4k broadcasts.

"That makes us look at 4K somewhat skeptically," Zitter said, according to PC World. "From my perspective, I have looked at 4K and we are prepare to, if it really comes to pass, maybe offer it on an on-demand basis."

Sony last week announced that it would begin selling an 84-inch, 4K TV late this year and other TV makers are expected to follow suit. While prices are unknown at this point, they could exceed $20,000 at launch, which would create yet another immediate obstacle in 4K's path.

Zitter also echoed CNET's claim that a large screen is required to see any difference between a 4K TV and a 1080p HDTV.

"They need a screen size that is greater than 60 or 70 inches," he said. "You can't see the difference on a screen that is smaller than 60 inches. But how many people in the United States or anywhere are going to have TV sets that are bigger than 60 or 70 inches? 20 or 25 percent?"

http://www.tvpredictions.com/4k090412.htm
post #196 of 318 Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Build it and they will come.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #197 of 318 Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Build it and they will come.
Art

Sure - in drips and drabs. Or maybe not. Remember Toshiba's recent 4K Autostereoscopic TV they were selling in Japan? So how did that work out? I think last I heard, they sold 500 of them.

Did you know that those 21:9 HDTVs aren't selling well at all? Phillips has halted all of their production.

How many 4K projectors has Sony sold since they introduced it to consumers?
post #198 of 318 Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is no large scale consumer demand for 4k. Satellite TV broadcasts and terrestrial broadcasts do not even deliver true 2k. This is a fringe subject of interest that will not make the electronics companies money. What they need is more efficient manufacture of 2k products. It is like trying to sell the public a razor with eight blade edges. We already have 3 or even 4 blades. Do we really need eight? People are worried about eating and saving their families, not 4k.
post #199 of 318 Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

There is no large scale consumer demand for 4k. Satellite TV broadcasts and terrestrial broadcasts do not even deliver true 2k. This is a fringe subject of interest that will not make the electronics companies money. What they need is more efficient manufacture of 2k products. It is like trying to sell the public a razor with eight blade edges. We already have 3 or even 4 blades. Do we really need eight? People are worried about eating and saving their families, not 4k.

Not to extrapolate too much but folks will spend on things they want over things they need quite frequently. Anyway, I still believe that we will see 4K BD in the next 18 months.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #200 of 318 Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Not to extrapolate too much but folkks will spend on things they want over things they need quite frequently. Anyway, I still believe that we will see 4K BD in the next 18 months.
Art

I agree and it will be Sony that starts the trend.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #201 of 318 Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Not to extrapolate too much but folks will spend on things they want over things they need quite frequently. Anyway, I still believe that we will see 4K BD in the next 18 months.
Art

18 months is doable IMO. But some actually believe 4K BD will be launched at CES 2013 - 4 months from now. rolleyes.gif
post #202 of 318 Old 09-14-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

18 months is doable IMO. But some actually believe 4K BD will be launched at CES 2013 - 4 months from now. rolleyes.gif
If you had paid some attention to the information you refer to, it said 4K BD prototype player would be introduced at CES 2013 (we can just guess they also will have some test disc material) for autumn 2013 launch to the market, then you would have misrepresented the info.
Quote:
BDA will use CES 2013 to present the format and demo it if current schedule holds but the format may not launch until the end of 2013 due to the pace of manufacturing and market factors which include 4K TVs from more companies to go with 4K broadcast infrastructure that is now being put into place by Sony and others who cater to that particular industry.
post #203 of 318 Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

If you had paid some attention to the information you refer to, it said 4K BD prototype player would be introduced at CES 2013 (we can just guess they also will have some test disc material) for autumn 2013 launch to the market, then you would have misrepresented the info.

But you said that info was nothing more than a rumor right? wink.gif
post #204 of 318 Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What's the source of that rumor?

Amir
Founder,

post #205 of 318 Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

What's the source of that rumor?

Post #69

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?85349-Resolution-IBC-and-4K&p=1063878&viewfull=1#post1063878
post #206 of 318 Old 09-15-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

But you said that info was nothing more than a rumor right? wink.gif

Yes.......just like your adamant arguments against this and personal predictions to the contrary, and all other posts here about 4K BD before such format is officially released. tongue.gif

More on 4K delivery and displays;

Pricepoint for 4K TV's; 55" Toshiba Glass-Free 3D TV (crap 3D but OK 4K 2D) in stock in UK shop for £6999.
Quote:
broadcastnow; Manufacturers accelerate 4K content delivery plans.

Tech-On; [IBC 2012] Sony Unveils Real-time Transmission System for 4k Video

Sony Europe Professional Solutions head of AV media Olivier Bovis said: “We’re less than six months away from being able to deliver 4K to the home.

“We have the acquisition tool, the codec and the display, and with [satellite operator] Astra’s pipeline to deliver 4K, all we need is someone to make the set-top box.”

Sony realized the system in collaboration with SES S.A., a Luxembourg-based major satellite distribution firm. From a base of SES in Luxembourg, an edited 4k video content was transmitted in the "DVB-S2" format via a satellite.

Sony’s stand featured a live 4K screening, with content uplinked from SES headquarters via Astra’s satellite system.

With the H.264 technology, the 4k video was compressed to 50Mbps.

"We managed to realize a system that can drastically compress original 4k signals without lowering the quality of 4k video," Sony said.

The real-time 4k video transmission system announced this time has a transmission rate of 50Mbps with the H.264 technology.

But Sony aims to increase the compression rate to realize a transmission rate of 10M to 20Mbps.

Also, for satellite connection, it plans to enable a two-channel transmission with one transponder.
post #207 of 318 Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Did world really want 3D? Why do we have 3D content

I've been asking myself that same question as I watch outstanding 2D on my SIM2 Lumis Host !

I think bringing out 3D so soon on the heels of the HDDVD / Blu Ray war, led many folks to move away from buying anything. Upgrade fatigue was the result. Now you think they'll bring out 4K? I'm not holding my breath. I've stopped holding my breath for a bright LED projector - things only move incrementally and very slowly in this industry from what I've seen over the last 17 years.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #208 of 318 Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM

even so many movies shot at 4K/5K they dont finish at 4K..Check reduser and go ask Post House owner (lightiron) M.Cioni who did TSN, Pirates of... Girl With Dragon.. they always finish DI at 2K smile.gif
post #209 of 318 Old 10-05-2012, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsert View Post

even so many movies shot at 4K/5K they dont finish at 4K..Check reduser and go ask Post House owner (lightiron) M.Cioni who did TSN, Pirates of... Girl With Dragon.. they always finish DI at 2K smile.gif
Not always but mostly. Dragon was 4K DI, by the way.
post #210 of 318 Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Not always but mostly. Dragon was 4K DI, by the way.
yeah sorry for that i check his page and he says DI finished at 5K.
http://michaelcioni.tumblr.com/page/5
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page