1950s vintage Quad stuff- value, etc? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This may be a bit off topic and maybe even bordering on inappropriate, but here goes.

I managed to pick up a REALLY old vintage quad console (I ALMOST typed 'stereo'!), but it's a 1950s mono unit. It was on Craigslist locally. It consists of:

Quad AM-11
Quad Model 1
Quad Mark II

and a mystery single tube box that I believe is not made by Quad, as it has a Sprague filter cap, and I really doubt that the English were buying US made capacitors from the US.

There's VERY little info on these items on the net, at least that I can find. It's a mono AM tuner (no FM), a preamp with a zillion settings for the record player eq curves (designed for 78 records), and a 60 watt(?) power amp module with a pair of KT66s.

Everything is mounted in a big and heavy console unit, but the woodwork is nicely done, and it's in good shape. A buddy of mine that went in on me with the deal took the Garrard turntable, leaving me with the audio stuff.

This is all truly original that I can see (2 spare tubes in the back of the console), but there's 50+ years of dust on the tubes, but the faces of the tuner and preamp are really nice.

The tuner lights up, but nary a peep out of the unit. The preamp works, but needs all controls cleaned, and the power amp needs filter caps.

Now, the reason for my post: I know this is very vintage stuff, and I personally have no need for it. Since I know there's some gearheads here that love vintage audio, should I sell this completely as is, or should I get it running? I'm sure I can get the tuner going, changing the filters isn't a big deal to me.

(the pix isn't of my units, it's a stock photo, but it's what I have, less the FM tuner at the rear right. Mine are significantly dirtier!)

Thoughts?
LL

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252