Looking for some opinions on a few Speakers! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am in the market for some new speakers for my HT. They will be used for 80 / 20 split of Blu-ray movies / BR concerts and 20 of two channel listening. I listen to just about everything except rap.
My dedicated room is 23L X 18W X 10.5H, with 3 McIntosh 601's powering the front three. Preamp is Anthem D2V.
Any experience with the sonic signature on the following speakers would be great before I demo them. I know it boils down to what sounds best to me, but I value all of experience that is on this forum. Also they don' t always sound the same in your own home with those different elements of room acoustics and different equipment.

So here is the short list with the first one having a edge since I already own Aerials 7B's and have heard the 20T's before. Will consider others...

1. Aerial Acoustic 20T 2V's with the CC5
2. Wilson Sasha W/P
3. Revel Salon 2
4. B&W 800 Diamonds

Thanks for your insight...
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're going to spend that kind of money, your focus is truly mostly movies, and you have a dedicated room..

I'd shift the paradigm all together and get away from audiophile focused gear all together.... my short list would be

1. Danley
2. Seaton
3. Procella
4. Triad

You may be very shocked at what you hear... and you may even save money potentially.

YMMV
post #3 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Liked: 10
My wife has a pair of 802D's in her listening room and in my opinion B&W makes the finest 2ch speakers. We listened to a pair of wilsons which we liked but didn't justify the almost doubled price tag for a negligable performance increase (my personal opinion I know). Although I do understand there is a bit of a status thing with Wilson audio. This was all on Broadway musicals mind you as that is what my wife listens to. Wicked I think it was called. Very detailed yet smooth, just smooth and easy to listen to. I am not up to date on all of the descriptive speaker jargon so those are the first words that come to mind right after WOW. We listened to other speakers in that $ range and nothing stood out like the Diamond and the 801 sounded even more so to both of us but was, sadly, more than we were willing to spend once electronics and cabling factored in. We have owned them for almost 6 months and my wife still gets excited when she has time to go and relax and listen.
Just my 2 cents
post #4 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

I am in the market for some new speakers for my HT. They will be used for 80 / 20 split of Blu-ray movies / BR concerts and 20 of two channel listening. I listen to just about everything except rap.
My dedicated room is 23L X 18W X 10.5H, with 3 McIntosh 601's powering the front three. Preamp is Anthem D2V.
Any experience with the sonic signature on the following speakers would be great before I demo them. I know it boils down to what sounds best to me, but I value all of experience that is on this forum. Also they don' t always sound the same in your own home with those different elements of room acoustics and different equipment.

So here is the short list with the first one having a edge since I already own Aerials 7B's and have heard the 20T's before. Will consider others...

1. Aerial Acoustic 20T 2V's with the CC5
2. Wilson Sasha W/P
3. Revel Salon 2
4. B&W 800 Diamonds

Thanks for your insight...
Jim

If you want to save some very significant $$$ get the original Revels all around. They sell for a fraction of original cost - there is typically a fair number for sale on Audiogon, they are of the same caliber as the version 2, and in my opnion much nicer to aestethically. I had studio's and they made excellent HT speakers. Bought and sold them for $4K.
post #5 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
None of the speakers you are considering are good for movies IMO. Check Seaton Sound.
post #6 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I was able to pick up a full system of Aerial Acoustics to include the 20Ts, CC5 and SW12s. It was quite a step up from my previous system. It will be a very long time before I will want to upgrade!
post #7 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Lots of fantastic speakers in that price range! Many would be hard to audition locally. I would certainly take a look at the top of the line KEF also, and you should be able to find them locally. KEF reference 207/2 and 204/2c center. Of the four options you list, the Aerials would be my choice. Enjoy the hunt!
post #8 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

If you're going to spend that kind of money, your focus is truly mostly movies, and you have a dedicated room..

I'd shift the paradigm all together and get away from audiophile focused gear all together.... my short list would be

1. Danley
2. Seaton
3. Procella
4. Triad

You may be very shocked at what you hear... and you may even save money potentially.

YMMV

+1. With fully active options you can sell the McIntosh amps and get a TRW-17 for HT. I've heard Seatons and Triad Golds in HT configurations and either would rival 2 through 4 on your list (have not heard #1).

How is your current room configured? How are the acoustic treatments & speaker configurations optimized (for 2ch or HT?).
post #9 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have owned B&W 703's and 802's, Genelcs, seatons, triad Golds. For movies go with big Genelec's if you can , or Seaton or Triad Platinums for LCR ( I have my friend who has triad platinums behind the screen being friven by ATI 3005 amp and they have good dynamic range.
If I had to do 2 channel system again, I will probably chose B7W 802's.

Mani
post #10 of 98 Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I am VERY happy with my Procella speakers....so I echo the feelings of the earlier poster that you needn't venture into the land of super high priced audiophile speakers you mentioned in your original post. That was a good short list your were given!

Here is a review of a Procella "starter" setup (the setup I currently have).
post #11 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post

I was able to pick up a full system of Aerial Acoustics to include the 20Ts, CC5 and SW12s. It was quite a step up from my previous system. It will be a very long time before I will want to upgrade!

The Aerials are the front runner on my list. I have heard the 20T 2V's and they are Spectaular!

Quote:

1. Danley
2. Seaton
3. Procella
4. Triad

YMMV

Those are all great speakers you listed. I know a lot of the pro HT installers / designers love them. I have heard Procella's are awesome, but if I went that direction I would put them behind a AT screen which I do not have and have no plans on getting. Seaton's web site is temporary down for reconstruction so oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

Lots of fantastic speakers in that price range! Many would be hard to audition locally. I would certainly take a look at the top of the line KEF also, and you should be able to find them locally. KEF reference 207/2 and 204/2c center. Of the four options you list, the Aerials would be my choice. Enjoy the hunt!

Kef speakers got some high marks on the Stereophile magazine review on the 20T's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

+1. With fully active options you can sell the McIntosh amps and get a TRW-17 for HT. I've heard Seatons and Triad Golds in HT configurations and either would rival 2 through 4 on your list (have not heard #1).

How is your current room configured? How are the acoustic treatments & speaker configurations optimized (for 2ch or HT?).

Thanks, but I love my new Mac amps and they are staying right where they are at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

I am VERY happy with my Procella speakers....so I echo the feelings of the earlier poster that you needn't venture into the land of super high priced audiophile speakers you mentioned in your original post. That was a good short list your were given!

Here is a review of a Procella "starter" setup (the setup I currently have).

I have seen your theater before and may I say, Awesome Work!

I am going to try and find the Sasha's, 800 Diamonds, to demo this weekend. I may have a tough time finding a store that has them set up...

Thanks for everyone chiming in.

Cheers,
Jim
post #12 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If you want to keep your amps, then I will suggest the Triad Plats.

Similar install:

post #13 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seaton's web site is temporary down for reconstruction so oh well...

Looks good.... it actually resides solely as a forum.. do a google search for seaton forum.
post #14 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

If you want to keep your amps, then I will suggest the Triad Plats.

Similar install:

Love that McIntosh rack! I would like to see that theater completed. Are those speakers staying there or will they be behind something?

Quote:

Looks good.... it actually resides solely as a forum.. do a google search for seaton forum.

Wonder why they would do that?....
post #15 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
These are very impressive speakers, and rival anything on your list:

http://www.salksound.com/soundscape12%20%20images.htm
post #16 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Haven't heard anything that can compete with the Triad Platinums for Home Theater. Massive output and incredible dynamics. If you are mostly HT, you need to take a serious look. Procella is also an excellent choice.

I heard very good things about the Seaton is supposed to be a great speaker for HT as well but I've never heard it personally.
post #17 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Haven't heard anything that can compete with the Triad Platinums for Home Theater. Massive output and incredible dynamics. If you are mostly HT, you need to take a serious look. Procella is also an excellent choice.

I heard very good things about the Seaton is supposed to be a great speaker for HT as well but I've never heard it personally.

I have had Triads, genelecs , B&W's, Seatons.
Bigger 3 way Genelecs beat them all for HT. Platinums are pretty good too.
I think Even Seatons will surpass platinums in dynamics. But I like Platinums detail somewhat better.
post #18 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

I think Even Seatons will surpass platinums in dynamics. But I like Platinums detail somewhat better.

I'm feeding mine with Classe 600watt mono blocks. They are getting plenty of reserve power for a sensitive speaker. The dynamics are very impressive to me. I would love to listen to the Seatons as a comparison. Which Genelecs? The big 3 way pro monitors? Someone told me they were a bit flat but I never heard them myself.
post #19 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I'm feeding mine with Classe 600watt mono blocks. They are getting plenty of reserve power for a sensitive speaker. The dynamics are very impressive to me. I would love to listen to the Seatons as a comparison. Which Genelecs? The big 3 way pro monitors? Someone told me they were a bit flat but I never heard them myself.

I have had 1037B's. Even they beat platinums to my ears . But I am talking about 1038 and 1039's. If you see the specs on Genelecs, they deliver above 131 or 136 db I believe depending on the model at 1.7m, thats insane.I tried very hard with Triad, I believe with mark scarpelli to give me a number of their max SPL, and they wouldnt. I have had 1037 's at ear splitting levels and you cant hear distortion and the details are better than any speaker for HT. We ran platinums with ATI 3005 I belive , with dedicated 20 amp , 240 volt circuit just for amp. With sensitivity of platinums thats was more power than your ears can take. Platinums are great , no slouch by any means . In triad series , thats all I would consider for LCR as I believe platinum is the only model that uses scan peak drivers.
I wont recommend you to switch from platinums powered with good amps to Seatons , as I believe that will be parallel move or a move with advantages in some areas and not in others. But you may want to audition Genelcs beyond 1037's. I have heard the argument that they are too analytic / too detailed / flat etc etc , but you have to hear them in right set up to see if thats your cup of tea. There has to be a reason that vast majority of post production faciliteis use them,..
post #20 of 98 Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

....to be more specific , the HT audition that has stuck in my head is , with Genelecs and Lexicon playing Matrix that i heard 4- 5 years ago. I currently have ADA MACH IV , but I couldnt appreciate same focus/detail and imaging that I remeber from that audition. Of course this is by now means scientific comparison, just speaking from my memory.
The only other speaker I would consider for pure HT is CAT's.... their more customised solution, where they makre drivers/crossovers specific to the freq response of your room. I d ont know if they still do that . But of course it costs $$$$. Thats another audition that really impressed me. It was a private theater, not a showroom, with custom built CAT's farmed in studs with 12 CAT subs and ADA -( 10 yr old ADA too..!!!)
post #21 of 98 Old 02-25-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

The Plats are very detailed speakers. Good choice for systems that are for HT and music.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #22 of 98 Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would look into the VMPS or the Legacy line of speakers. These speakers are big, but for HT or concert level sound, go big or go home.

I have the VMPS RM40s for fronts and RM2s for the surrounds with a LRC center speaker. I will be replacing the LRC with a single RM40 during my HT build. This is a truely impressive system for movies and BD concerts.
post #23 of 98 Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the Seaton comparison .. I think Mark has the default response set to not melt your head off. Its probably a bit easier to listen to for extended periods. That could easily be tweaked to satisfaction with a nice EQ. Any system with speakers at this level should have one. If not you're leaving performance on the table.

There's certainly plenty of driver and amplifier performance left in the tank to support that.

Note there is no lack of detail in the catalyst just that some may prefer a slightly more aggressive response out of the box like the genelecs have.
post #24 of 98 Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Regarding the Seaton comparison .. I think Mark has the default response set to not melt your head off. Its probably a bit easier to listen to for extended periods. That could easily be tweaked to satisfaction with a nice EQ. Any system with speakers at this level should have one. If not you're leaving performance on the table.

There's certainly plenty of driver and amplifier performance left in the tank to support that.

Note there is no lack of detail in the catalyst just that some may prefer a slightly more aggressive response out of the box like the genelecs have.

Its not just the brighter upper range. The midrange has more detail/focus/clarity that is difficult to describe and even bass is tighter . I have used Genelecs and Seatons for several months.My theater is professionally callibrated ( I use ADA Mach IV). I still use Seatons in my theater. When I change I will probably go with Genelec 1039's for mains. You can notice that difference if you are used to Genelcs (which I had for 4 years ) and then you switch to Setaons. if you start with Seatons , you will be perfectly happy. Seatons are absolutely great speakers and for 20K for seven channel setup including 21 channels of amplification , they are hard to beat. But for my taste Genelecs are in different leagus at of course significant jump in price.
post #25 of 98 Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Love that McIntosh rack! I would like to see that theater completed. Are those speakers staying there or will they be behind something?

Sorry, I've been gone. The room wasn't completed when I took the pics but Kinetcs Noise finished the room with a full StretchTRAK system. Thedoors behind the screen were staying but have an acoustical curtain placed in front of to block the light and to temper the sound.
post #26 of 98 Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I also wanted to throw the JBL K2 speakers in the mix. I listened to them and they are very, very good. If the space and budget allow, I might want to suggest an audition of the Everest models. I heard them in Vegas a couple years back and they amazed me.

They are currently connected to their theater system in Northridge, CA. if you can swing a showing.
post #27 of 98 Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Sorry didn't realise this was for HT saw Ariel, Wilson, B&W,etc and assumed 2ch
post #28 of 98 Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

I also wanted to throw the JBL K2 speakers in the mix. I listened to them and they are very, very good. If the space and budget allow, I might want to suggest an audition of the Everest models. I heard them in Vegas a couple years back and they amazed me.

They are currently connected to their theater system in Northridge, CA. if you can swing a showing.

The JBL K2 are very impressive for HT, but then at their price point they should be. You can have a very good HT using any of the higher sensitivity speakers mentioned here. Just be sure and add enough subs to keep up.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #29 of 98 Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM

How about MK Sound?
post #30 of 98 Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post

How about MK Sound?

In my opinion, MK Sound does not produce as near the volume or dynamics as other speakers listed here.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page