Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's a FREE article.

And it's a very interesting article, including a 14 image slideshow of home theater / screening rooms in Hollywood.

Also, there's a link to a list of people on the "Bel-Air" circuit.

I wonder what Peter will have to say about some of these rooms...
post #3 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I'm still amazed at how many expensive home theater rooms, designed by professionals, feature PQ-killing light decor!
post #4 of 43 Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

It's pretty clear that Picture Quality is not the top priority in the design of these rooms. And that's quite understandable.
post #5 of 43 Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Unimpressive.... Or we are fanatical.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #6 of 43 Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

It's pretty clear that Picture Quality is not the top priority in the design of these rooms. And that's quite understandable.

If you mean by "understandable" that people often do unwise things, yeah.

But if you mean "understandable" in terms of it being "reasonable," then I'm not sure I agree.

I'm quite sure given the huge amounts of money being spent (and also given the seriousness of the "screening room" experience) that the installers have promised to provide their clients with state-of-the-art picture and sound.

So it is bizarre to see this so often subverted by ridiculous choices in room decor.
post #7 of 43 Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

... But if you mean "understandable" in terms of it being "reasonable," then I'm not sure I agree. ...

I would think that most of these folks have access to regular screening rooms at the studios which are designed for top picture and sound quality.

In my view, these rooms appear to value socializing quite highly, and are therefore willing to sacrifice aspects that many on this site would not.

I can easily understand that. I think watching a film at Phil Rosenthal's place with his chef's pizza would be most enjoyable. (See slideshow pictures 13 and 14.)
post #8 of 43 Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It is fascinating how people will say "my 32" TV is better because I like it" or other similar comments. It looks like a variation of putting down somebody else to make yourself feel better.

I also see some railing against the 1%, which is odd to see on WSJ. I got some blowback like that in my construction thread when I built my theater and I am not even in the 1% if we want to go the class warfare route. (I think people assume I am in there based on the construction thread.)

All in all, I think the top theaters here and other HT forums on the net are superior in performance compared to these, but not all of those systems would match the look and feel of the houses these people live in and for many people, that is very important. It is basically WAF that determines the look of a lot of these rooms.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I once made a comment that a theater looked like a New Orleans whore house and ,unfortunately, it worked for the owner. I was hit pretty hard both openly and in PMs after, since it ended up it was a well respected member's room. I guess I deserved it. I had to assume that those angry with me had no pitty for a man who was born without a tact gland.

It is easy for us to sit here and criticize the rooms based on the thought that the money was not spent well but the owners are happy and likely would not have built our rooms had they had the choice either.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #10 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Art, the rooms on here are largely DIY or done professionally with a lot of owner input. I suspect the rooms in the article are done with the owner setting some clear guidelines, but I often see (not in this article per se) times where AV installers make bad choices when better options existed that were likely still within the homeowner guidelines.

Also, if somebody without a tact gland comments on a design from somebody without a taste gland, then feelings are probably going to get hurt on both sides of the ensuing exchange.
post #11 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 AM

Liked: 12
most of these rooms are living rooms with large screens. A screening room only has one purpose, to screen movies. Most of them are not screening rooms and no screening room would ever have windows or light colored walls and decor.
post #12 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 57
To extend the Bel-Air circuit to a larger group and possibly profit from it, a start-up called Prima Cinema is working with the studios to roll out a service that will make first-run studio films available the day they hit the big screen. Available in a few months, the service will allow homeowners with a high-end digital-projection screening room (who also pay $35,000 to install Prima's highly secure digital delivery system) to watch first-run films for an additional $500 each.

First run movies at Art's place!!!
post #13 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

To extend the Bel-Air circuit to a larger group and possibly profit from it, a start-up called Prima Cinema is working with the studios to roll out a service that will make first-run studio films available the day they hit the big screen. Available in a few months, the service will allow homeowners with a high-end digital-projection screening room (who also pay $35,000 to install Prima's highly secure digital delivery system) to watch first-run films for an additional $500 each.

The Prima Cinema CEO is from DIVX Inc. Have they demoed their movie server and secured any films yet?

HDPLEX
post #14 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

I didn't pay for the DiVx system when it came out the first time around and Circuit City was pushing it as an alternative to DVD. I imagine this would take a lot more faith in their sustainability to make a commitment of that magnitude for a Prima Cinema system.

The $500 per film might seem steep, but that really is up to the wallet and value of the end user. I do find $35k for the delivery system to be pretty expensive. Honestly, is it more secure than a Kaleidescape? Does it add any value other than the option of buying the $500 first run films? My concern is that even with the substantially higher price tag, there are going to be significant strings attached to the content.
post #15 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Unimpressive.... Or we are fanatical.

Most here are Fanatical, myself included.

Image and sound quality almost always seems to take a back seat in the design of these rooms. With the kind of money that most of these people have, I would want both image, sound quality and functional good looks.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #16 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I didnt think the circuit City DIVX (wow that seems so long ago that DVD fans were worried about that stupid technology) was the same as the DIVX codec people?

EDIT - not the same company.. according to WIKI..

The "DivX" brand is distinct from "DIVX", a former video rental system developed by Circuit City Stores which required special discs and players to function.[1] The winking emoticon in the early "DivX ;-)" codec name was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the DIVX system. Although not created by them, the DivX company adopted the name of the popular DivX ;-) codec. The company dropped the smiley and released DivX 4.0, which was actually the first DivX version, trademarking the word, DivX.[2][3]
post #17 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Would love to see DCI content for consumers some day, even if its not day and date, would still love to see a premium content delivery system
post #18 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Would love to see DCI content for consumers some day, even if its not day and date, would still love to see a premium content delivery system

There needs to be a central clearing house backed by ALL major studios and a secure pipeline to deliver this DCI content. (Just imagine how much money did Sony/Toshiba spend on the bluray/HD DVD format.)

I simply don't see that happening.

The DCI server might be the only solution in the near future.

HDPLEX
post #19 of 43 Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Some of those rooms show that just because one has a boat load of cash, does not mean good taste and style follow.
post #20 of 43 Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

There needs to be a central clearing house backed by ALL major studios and a secure pipeline to delivery this DCI content. (Just imagine how much money did Sony/Toshiba spend on the bluray/HD DVD format.)

+1

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #21 of 43 Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The cost associated with those rooms doesn't seem to jive. There's guys on here who's theaters I would take over most of those (which cost much much less).
post #22 of 43 Old 03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
They're statement pieces and I think it speaks to the creativity of the two primary designers (no Theo K mention) that they can go from the Mohn's ultramodern dedicated room to Ratner's convertible living room.

I get the impression that some of the extremophiles in this forum aren't seeing the forest for the trees. These screenings are an exchange of social and economic capital. They're not built to obsessively pick at the quality of the finished product. That's what editors are for.

Jeff Cooper has floor plan examples on his site.
post #23 of 43 Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by lymzy
There needs to be a central clearing house backed by ALL major studios and a secure pipeline to delivery this DCI content. (Just imagine how much money did Sony/Toshiba spend on the bluray/HD DVD format.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

+1

Art

+2 Not gonna happen.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #24 of 43 Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
+3 Not gonna happen.
post #25 of 43 Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

My guess is the 35K just buys the DCI Server/Player which will only work with DCI projectors. The movie would then be a DCP on a Harddrive.

If thats the case, they will be very secure and require both the hard drive and the encrypted key, just as the movie theaters do.

Id so be down for this if it was a permanent copy, but i bet the movie key will only work for a certain number of playings or days. And then just like in the movie theaters, it won't work anymore.
post #26 of 43 Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

If you read the other article on their website, it says the delivery system can cost up to 20K. That would be more in line with pricing of DCI Server/Players for DCP Harddrives.
post #27 of 43 Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

My guess is the 35K just buys the DCI Server/Player which will only work with DCI projectors. The movie would then be a DCP on a Harddrive.

If thats the case, they will be very secure and require both the hard drive and the encrypted key, just as the movie theaters do.

I doubt that.

"Once on the list, members can make requests to borrow a print or, increasingly, a digital copy; each weekend, a top studio official approves each request. At Paramount, for example, Chief Executive Brad Grey and Vice Chairman Rob Moore—the studio's two highest-ranking executives—personally handle each one. At Weinstein Co., the Weinstein brothers approve requests."

I think it take a lot more than 500USD to get DCI content
Bigger list would certainly get attention from the cinema owner association as well.

I also notice Prima Cinema has an embedded software team based in San Diego. It seems they will develop their own delivery and playback server instead of using DCI server.

HDPLEX
post #28 of 43 Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post

I doubt that.

"Once on the list, members can make requests to borrow a print or, increasingly, a digital copy; each weekend, a top studio official approves each request. At Paramount, for example, Chief Executive Brad Grey and Vice Chairman Rob Moorethe studio's two highest-ranking executivespersonally handle each one. At Weinstein Co., the Weinstein brothers approve requests."

I think it take a lot more than 500USD to get DCI content
Bigger list would certainly get attention from the cinema owner association as well.

I also notice Prima Cinema has an embedded software team based in San Diego. It seems they will develop their own delivery and playback server instead of using DCI server.

That quote even makes me think it will be DCI content even more. Since it will be so highly protected. I don't think they would release a copy of a movie, that is current in the theaters, with any less security than the DCP package which already has a very strict set of standards. It also took years for all the Studios to come together to agree on a digital format with the DCI standard. I can't imagine they could all agree to a whole new set of standards.

My two cents...
post #29 of 43 Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

I don't think they would release a copy of a movie, that is current in the theaters, with any less security than the DCP package which already has a very strict set of standards.

I agree with you 100% and that is why I think Prima Cinema won't fly.
Even members of the circuit needs to have their request approved each time by the head of the studios. $500 won't change that for Prima Cinema customers.

Once you gain access to the DCI content, what prevent you from showing it to a group of people say 15-20 which average to $25-35/person. It would open a can of worms and would be on the radar of cinema owner association in no time.

HDPLEX
post #30 of 43 Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, here's a WSJ piece with a picture of high-end home theater seating 50. And in a basement. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...172054374.html Click on the slideshow tab and go to image 5.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page