post #31 of 45 Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

But why would someone spend all this money on a system that was in lit and could be banned. A lot of people with crossed fingers kind of got taken.

You mean like the people who bought Blackberry phones?

I bought a system about 7 years ago. That is a lot of use I got out of it. It still works. Even if the injunction goes into effect, my system still works. How did I "get taken" if my system still works just like it did before and during the litigation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If a blond haired women can use it and love it, it can't be any simpler then that.

Come to Chicago and find out what a real system ( Kaleidescape ) can do. There isn't any "simple HTPC system" out there that can provide the level of performance specs. that Kaleidescape can.

In the mean time we will just have to sit back and wait.
post #33 of 45 Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In past years several members here had commented when debating alternative systems and devices that K was the only system that was licensed.

Now that the injunction is in effect doesn't that mean that new movies won't import into the system, except as "unidentified movie #1234"? Part of the "it just works" part of the system was the meta data so that you had the description and cover art. Who is going to supply that meta data now? I realize the movies that you're already ripped will continue to play, but honestly I like watching new movies too.

It's unclear to me how they will survive this, but maybe you can shed some light on that?
post #34 of 45 Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 434
According to Kaleidescape, the metadata service is not impacted by the injunction and that existing system continue to play for that reason. They reasoning they use is that the injunction applies to the software in the system which handles css copy protection for DVDs and hence, the rest of the system functionality is not impacted.

Amir
Founder,

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #35 of 45 Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Who even still watches DVD's anyway..

As long as Blu-Ray's aren't affected I see no reason to not invest in a kscape. If k loses their court case we'll have to probably just have to put future DVD disc's in the carousel. Not a big deal IMO.

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #36 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
there are a hundred reasons to buy a K and a thousand arguments for and against each one.

in the end, there is only one differentiator.

Experience.

there is nothing to compare to the K experience.

Just like why you would buy a high end sports car. comfort, fit and finish, support, performance, etc. oh sure, i can buy a subaru and spend 40k and trick it all out and have something that approaches it, but my wife wont come near it.

Proud Daddy to
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...

post #37 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzman View Post

there are a hundred reasons to buy a k and a thousand arguments for and against each one.

In the end, there is only one differentiator.

Experience.

There is nothing to compare to the k experience.

Just like why you would buy a high end sports car. Comfort, fit and finish, support, performance, etc. Oh sure, i can buy a subaru and spend 40k and trick it all out and have something that approaches it, but my wife wont come near it.

ditto
post #38 of 45 Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Who even still watches DVD's anyway..

A lot of our K customers have big DVD collections. These take up a lot less space on the servers than BD's and in all honesty when your streaming them around the house to smallish TV's in bedrooms etc, picture quality is acceptable to most.

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #39 of 45 Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
We watch a ton of DVDs still. I have kids and I don't need to try and get Barbie Princess and Hello Kitty in HD on Bluray. I doubt they were released in that format.

Just as a frame of reference, I have about 250 Blurays loaded into my system and about 1400 DVDs. I have about 75 more blurays I will load once my new server is ready. While almost all my new film purchases are Bluray, I still get a lot of older TV shows on DVD as I am generally not watching those in the theater anyway.

post #40 of 45 Old 07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
There is some confusion on the part of my dealer whether a Kaleidescape BluRay server will work with a HD621/861v6 for the latest 96/24 HD audio formats.

The Meridian 621/861v6 requires that decoding be done in the player, with the signal sent to Meridian via HDMI. I currently use an Oppo, which works well with the 621/861, and Meridian says this requirement is part of the HDMI standard for players.

Anyone on this forum know if that combo works?

Thanks.
post #41 of 45 Old 07-12-2012, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

There is some confusion on the part of my dealer whether a Kaleidescape BluRay server will work with a HD621/861v6 for the latest 96/24 HD audio formats.
The Meridian 621/861v6 requires that decoding be done in the player, with the signal sent to Meridian via HDMI. I currently use an Oppo, which works well with the 621/861, and Meridian says this requirement is part of the HDMI standard for players.
Anyone on this forum know if that combo works?
Thanks.

You are in luck with the Meridian (but only the Meridian, not so with other HDMI 1.1 processors). It does require a workaround, see more info here: http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862&highlight=meridian
post #42 of 45 Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That's pretty cumbersome, and, constrained to 5.1 in a 7.1 player.

This forces me to choose between K, which my Wife and kids (and me) love for the amazing user interface, and, Meridian's terrific Trifield mode for synthesizing multichannel from two channel sources.
post #43 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM

You need help with that question?

How long have you been married?
post #44 of 45 Old 07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Buy the system, deal with the lesser sound, wait for an updated player, sell your old one over at Kscapeowners.com. Problem solved! smile.gif
post #45 of 45 Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just an FYI for those that have not heard. CA's court of appeals has granted K a stay of the trial court's Injunction, pending an appeal of the decision in the case. If history is any indication, we're looking at another year, or longer, and in the meantime it is business as usual at K.

Jim
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page