Starglas 60 or Firehawk cinecurve for 12' screen, moderate ambient light? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Really since when are RP screens black? Not the Acryllic (clouded) screens, not the Fresnell acryllic screens, not the Lenticular acryllic screens, not the many film screens. FP screens have the Black Diamond and the older Sony filtering screen that are 'black'.

The Draper screen I have is definitely black. Everyone that sees it in my kitchen automatically assumes it a chalk-board, not a projection screen.

Its as black as any screen material could be.

Im not sure what black diamond screen you are referring to, but if it the SI one, its certainly is not black. I actually have a sample of it sitting on my desk, and its about the color of aluminum foil.

Here is a pic of my Draper RP screen with a sample of SI's Black Diamond 1.4 material.
ccool96 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

The Draper screen I have is definitely black. Everyone that sees it in my kitchen automatically assumes it a chalk-board, not a projection screen.

Its as black as any screen material could be.

Im not sure what black diamond screen you are referring to, but if it the SI one, its certainly is not black. I actually have a sample of it sitting on my desk, and its about the color of aluminum foil.

Here is a pic of my Draper RP screen with a sample of SI's Black Diamond 1.4 material.
]

What are your thought on the SI Black Diamond screens? Can they perform just as well as a RP if properly setup? Originally I was going to go with an SI BD screen but couldn't find anywhere that had proper demo's setup. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #33 of 43 Old 04-08-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
inky blacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ccool96,

I would like to know what you are using for a frame system. Draper has many options. Which one did you pick? It is white. Did you paint it or did it come that way?
inky blacks is offline  
post #34 of 43 Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

What are your thought on the SI Black Diamond screens? Can they perform just as well as a RP if properly setup? Originally I was going to go with an SI BD screen but couldn't find anywhere that had proper demo's setup. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Im sure in certain applications the SI BD screen would be a great option over other white FP screens, but it doesn't compare to the RP screen.

And a BD screen suffers from the same issue of not being able to have the center speaker behind the screen as the RP does.
ccool96 is offline  
post #35 of 43 Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

ccool96,

I would like to know what you are using for a frame system. Draper has many options. Which one did you pick? It is white. Did you paint it or did it come that way?

I didn't order a frame system from Draper. I just ordered the RAW screen material and cased the opening myself.
ccool96 is offline  
post #36 of 43 Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice screen that Draper. Hadn't seen your topic/RP section for a long time. I now remember that 2.35:1 screen used with an Kodak 333 from the AVS close-out sale, that screen was imported from the US to Norway, also a Draper, and dark.



http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&&#post8537258
donaldk is offline  
post #37 of 43 Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Nice screen that Draper. Hadn't seen your topic/RP section for a long time. I now remember that 2.35:1 screen used with an Kodak 333 from the AVS close-out sale, that screen was imported from the US to Norway, also a Draper, and dark.

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&&#post8537258

Yes. That thread is what made me want to do mine. Just an incredible looking setup!

That is the same screen I have. A Draper Acrylic screen. With high contrast tint. I believe his was a 1.3 gain also.

I wish he would post more pics. I really loved that thread!
ccool96 is offline  
post #38 of 43 Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
inky blacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just spoke with a very knowledgeable and friendly rear projection screen tech guy at Draper, and he said the "high contrast tint" was only needed when using projectors with a poor contrast ratio. He said most people go without it these days because projectors have higher contrast ratios than before, and the neutral grey screen reproduces colors more naturally and is more efficient at transmitting light to the viewer. He said that for the 1.3 gain screen, which he recommended, your projector should be located behind the screen at a distance of 1.5 times the screen width. So for a 133 inch diagonal HDTV screen, you need 174 inches (14.5 feet) behind the screen unless you also use a mirror to fold the light path. Plus, you need to allow room for the depth of your projector.

By contrast, I have called Vutec a number of times in years past and never got a knowledgeable person on the phone to talk to. Their products may be very good, but they do not give out good technical advice over the phone or by email. I don't know why that is.

Are Draper screens as good or better than Stewart screens? I think Stewart screens are way more expensive, but does that make them better?
inky blacks is offline  
post #39 of 43 Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
ccool96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

I just spoke with a very knowledgeable and friendly rear projection screen tech guy at Draper, and he said the "high contrast tint" was only needed when using projectors with a poor contrast ratio. He said most people go without it these days because projectors have higher contrast ratios than before, and the neutral grey screen reproduces colors more naturally and is more efficient at transmitting light to the viewer. He said that for the 1.3 gain screen, which he recommended, your projector should be located behind the screen at a distance of 1.5 times the screen width. So for a 133 inch diagonal HDTV screen, you need 174 inches (14.5 feet) behind the screen unless you also use a mirror to fold the light path. Plus, you need to allow room for the depth of your projector.

By contrast, I have called Vutec a number of times in years past and never got a knowledgeable person on the phone to talk to. Their products may be very good, but they do not give out good technical advice over the phone or by email. I don't know why that is.

Are Draper screens as good or better than Stewart screens? I think Stewart screens are way more expensive, but does that make them better?

From what I was told the high-contrast tint is the best option in a room with ambient light. The darker the screen material, the less light will penetrate through the screen material, which keeps the image better looking. A white or light colored rear projection screen will look terrible in a room with ambient light regardless of how high-contrast the projector is.
ccool96 is offline  
post #40 of 43 Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
inky blacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

From what I was told the high-contrast tint is the best option in a room with ambient light. The darker the screen material, the less light will penetrate through the screen material, which keeps the image better looking. A white or light colored rear projection screen will look terrible in a room with ambient light regardless of how high-contrast the projector is.

That sounds logical. I have never seen rear projection screen photos look better than yours.
inky blacks is offline  
post #41 of 43 Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ccool96,

How does your DCI do upconverting HD Cable and DVD's to 4k? Or your Sony 4k?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #42 of 43 Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
donaldk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
donaldk is offline  
post #43 of 43 Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the fold system how much total space would be needed behind the screen? If not much space is needed then I might be able to do a fold system and have a custom built in entertainment center around the screen so everything looks flush.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off