Classe`CP-800 and CT-M300 vs. Marantz Reference Series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard the Classe` CP-800 stereo preamplifier and the Classe` CT-M300 300 watt monaural amplifier? The Marantz Reference Series products looks nicer, but what about the sound quality? The stereo only system would be used for both home theater and music. They will probably be mated with B&W Diamond speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PS

I will need about 16' runs each channel of audio interconnect cables to connect the preamp to the two mono power amps. Any suggestions of what brand and type of interconnecting wire I should use? I don't want anything that will screw up the sound quality; that's for sure.

The speaker wire will be 10' runs each side. Suggestions for that are wanted as well.

BTW I had originally thought of using a Audio Research tube preamp, but then thought reliability issues might be a problem when used for home theater. I have never heard their new Reference Series preamp, but it is advertised as doing good things for imaging, which is important for watching movies. I assume the Classe` solid state preamp will be more reliable and start up quicker.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can't help with the CT-M300 but am very familiar with the CT-M600. I have heard that amp at 5 different locations and assume they are voiced the same. It's brighter sounding than the older series. That's not really a bad thing if your room does not have a lot of hard surfaces. Many dealer carry both Mcintosh amps for use with B&W and also have Classe. I switched out a Mcintosh MC452 to get a better grip on what the effect of the Classe amp was. The impression held. The Classe SSP800 and Mcintosh C500 2 channel preamp were used in one location.

There is a review of the CP-800 on The Secrets of Hometheater website. This preamp is on my list to check out.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Maybe I will get the Marantz preamp and the Classe` CT amp. The Marantz preamp has been called "warm and mellow", which is what I want. I love the way it looks and hate the Classe` case design.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

Has anyone heard the Classe` CP-800 stereo preamplifier and the Classe` CT-M300 300 watt monaural amplifier? The Marantz Reference Series products looks nicer, but what about the sound quality? The stereo only system would be used for both home theater and music. They will probably be mated with B&W Diamond speakers.

A delicious thread with a delicious PS (PostScript) followup.

I can't help with preamp/amp/speaker questions.

Maybe (?) with your PS followup?

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

PS

I will need about 16' runs each channel of audio interconnect cables to connect the preamp to the two mono power amps. Any suggestions of what brand and type of interconnecting wire I should use? I don't want anything that will screw up the sound quality; that's for sure.

Absolute best buy on that is to use "digital" RCA interconnect cables for your analog RCA cable needs. The whole digital vs analog thing is misunderstood.

The RCA connector is number 1 on your choice list. For that Canare RCAP RCA connectors are at the top of the list, with few peers.

A great 75 ohm coax cable is number 2 on your list.

Forget about balanced cables for home interconnect needs.

Buy these for your home interconnect cable needs: http://www.bluejeancable.com/store/d...udio/index.htm

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #7 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Absolute best buy on that is to use "digital" RCA interconnect cables for your analog RCA cable needs. The whole digital vs analog thing is misunderstood.

The RCA connector is number 1 on your choice list. For that Canare RCAP RCA connectors are at the top of the list, with few peers.

A great 75 ohm coax cable is number 2 on your list.

Forget about balanced cables for home interconnect needs.

Buy these for your home interconnect cable needs: http://www.bluejeancable.com/store/d...udio/index.htm

Why shouldn't he use balanced I/C's especially if the unit has a true balanced output? There are home units that use them, and recommend using them.You're defeating the purpose and ability to take advantage of the balanced signal. It made my system much quieter and with more headroom. It also eliminated the slight hum I had in my system. You obviously don't like or understand balanced connections in home products? Just because it's not a long run like mine (35ft) doesn't mean the user won't benefit from it!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I do agree that using a good RCA connector that provides a tight clamp will help. Oh and XLR ends clip" and lock into to their connection for a tighter more secure fit than with RCA connectors.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page