Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
http://baetisaudio.com/

$2595 sale price for this media computer!

What do you think?

Supposedly will handle all music and video formats, including blu ray!

(Woops! Its "Baetis Audio", not "Beatis"!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
just pop for the Kscape, Steve. You know you have the cash and just like your Theta gear; you know there isn't really a cheaper alternative that's just as good.

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US
C'SEED Entertainment Systems GMBH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 34 Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFrancis View Post

just pop for the Kscape, Steve. You know you have the cash and just like your Theta gear; you know there isn't really a cheaper alternative that's just as good.

Troublemaker!! I am merely curious. Every now and then I post a topic that perhaps some dudes or even gals might find interesting.

I can tell you sell Kscape.

I saw Kscape at Mani's. Very impressive.Sorry I don't have the bucks for Kscape and I wouldn't spend it anyway for that. We have lotsa home repairs this year, my money is being sunk into my home!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #4 of 34 Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I agree ... Only thing missing in Steve's theater is Kscape We need to push him enough to bite the bullet
Hopefully after he is done with repairs
post #5 of 34 Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been so long since I've had the opportunity to poke at Steve on a topic; I couldn't resist!

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #6 of 34 Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's been so long since I've had the opportunity to poke at Steve on a topic; I couldn't resist!

Dan, you used to be a Theta luver. Do you plan to get back in once the Dirac Live upgrade is available? Or have you completely sold out to the dark side?

post #7 of 34 Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

http://baetisaudio.com/

$2595 sale price for this media computer!

What do you think?

Supposedly will handle all music and video formats, including blu ray!

(Woops! Its "Baetis Audio", not "Beatis"!

Doesn't look any different then a standard HTPC running Jriver and other plugins. Save some money and get one from assassinhtpc.com here on the forums.

Still won't be a K though

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #8 of 34 Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve, I have to say that it isn't the Dirac that would be the turning point for me. I think that Morris went the more logical route utilizing Dirac instead of Trinnov- but Trinnov has really turned me into a believer.

Actually, perhaps when things settle down for the folks at Theta, I'll be able to convince Jeff to let me borrow the new Casa HD/ Dirac implementation to audition- I wouldn't mind adding their line to my stable.

So no, I haven't completely "turned to the dark side" , but I'll tell you this: with that full Trinnov implementation, the Reference is very hard to beat- even for Theta.

But that's not the point here- the point is you're sandbagging! You can get into Kscape for less than 20k and have Blu-ray at your beck and call, plus a kick-a$$ ipad control app to boot? ....pull the trigger....you know you want to....pull the trigger....Steve.....Steve...jedi mind trick.....Steve....

Dan

fun

Dan Francis
Head of Sales US

post #9 of 34 Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Sorry I don't have the bucks for Kscape and I wouldn't spend it anyway for that. We have lotsa home repairs this year, my money is being sunk into my home!

Did Doug hack Steve's AVS account?

post #10 of 34 Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

Did Doug hack Steve's AVS account?

My AVS account is the one he never hacked. I was one of the original 6, not Cyclons, but forum members. Doug registered "me" on a bunch of other internet forums and posted as "me" saying stuff I'd never say! I don't think he's active as "me" anymore, as my AVS signature alerted folks that he is a fake!!!

post #11 of 34 Old 04-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Steve, I have to say that it isn't the Dirac that would be the turning point for me. I think that Morris went the more logical route utilizing Dirac instead of Trinnov- but Trinnov has really turned me into a believer.

Actually, perhaps when things settle down for the folks at Theta, I'll be able to convince Jeff to let me borrow the new Casa HD/ Dirac implementation to audition- I wouldn't mind adding their line to my stable.

So no, I haven't completely "turned to the dark side" , but I'll tell you this: with that full Trinnov implementation, the Reference is very hard to beat- even for Theta.

But that's not the point here- the point is you're sandbagging! You can get into Kscape for less than 20k and have Blu-ray at your beck and call, plus a kick-a$$ ipad control app to boot? ....pull the trigger....you know you want to....pull the trigger....Steve.....Steve...jedi mind trick.....Steve....

Dan

fun

Somebody needs to get to his wife with a brochure.

He will be screwed ...................
post #12 of 34 Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm007 View Post

Somebody needs to get to his wife with a brochure.

He will be screwed ...................

More like divorced. Thanks a lot!

post #13 of 34 Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Steve,

If you want a turnkey solution and multiple room support- Vidabox is another economic alternative (to Kscape). Vidabox customer service is pretty good.

$0.02

Regards,
Kishore
post #14 of 34 Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Htpc.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #15 of 34 Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I started a thread here a while back on the topic. Think is was "high end media server" or similar. I was looking for a "source direct" media server I could feed my Radiance with. Didn't exist. I tried all the most popular ones that could possibly fit that model. Dune, Sage, etc. Ultimately I was weary of the warts on those and set up a high end HTPC and a seperate server running MyMovies (which is what Vidabox has). It's not as seamless as K appears to be, but it has a great deal more flexibility. Mine has up to 75TB of storage (less with Raid's configured). 99% of what's on it are Blu Ray iso's and the convenience of the MyMovies interface is nice enough to deal with the occasional hiccups of the M$ OS running underneath. Pros and cons with it vs. K. As with anything. They keep improving the piece parts, but it's tedious to keep up with hardware and software. Right for you? depends on your needs, expertise, expectations, and budget.

post #16 of 34 Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In the High end HTPC you set up were you able to get source direct
post #17 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

No. I had some HTPC gurus I trust help me and recommend hardware. I used an Intel CPU that was supposed to get the frame rate thing right but it didn't do it perfect, althoug it is very very close (0.001 fps off). There were other issues, I forget the details. I think 4-4-4 RGB color out, PC does deinterlace, etc. Bottom line was it did not do what I called source direct. That said, I've been fine with the PQ from it. Haven't had and problems there really. I have a 3 chip DLP on a 56" tall screen. Not huge but big enough and bright enough to show bad video. The convenience of the MyMovies interface (K-like) is very nice. It even does one or 2 things K does not. Main thing there is I filter my collection to "not watched" so I only browse the movies I haven't seen yet. Which is normally what I want to look at. If I need to borrow a movie from friend/family/etc, I can put it on the server until I get time to watch it, then delete it when I'm done. With the server I set up all you have to do is put the disc in the tray and close it. Done. The MM software gets the movie, puts it on the hard drive intact, goes out to the MM servers and pulls all the movies data, cover art, actors, format ratngs, etc and it just magically appears in my list. When it's done it ejects the disc. That easy. It burps every once and a while when it can't read a disc but it's relatively rare. I call it my BR Tivo.

The client HTPC I built has a heatpipe chassis and a special high power low wattage CPU. So there is no fan. None. Zero noise in my rack which is in my theater room. Server is a datacenter class Dell 1U rack server and a rackmount SAS 24 drive hot-swap and not so quiet. But it's out in my shop where noise isn't an issue. No vaults to mess with. I have a lot of flexibility on what goes on the server and what does not. And with multiple raid 5 arrays configured in the drive chassis, I have a nice home server for all things non-theater, too. "Free" perk.

post #18 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

No. I had some HTPC gurus I trust help me and recommend hardware. I used an Intel CPU that was supposed to get the frame rate thing right but it didn't do it perfect, althoug it is very very close (0.001 fps off). There were other issues, I forget the details. I think 4-4-4 RGB color out, PC does deinterlace, etc. Bottom line was it did not do what I called source direct. That said, I've been fine with the PQ from it. Haven't had and problems there really. I have a 3 chip DLP on a 56" tall screen. Not huge but big enough and bright enough to show bad video. The convenience of the MyMovies interface (K-like) is very nice. It even does one or 2 things K does not. Main thing there is I filter my collection to "not watched" so I only browse the movies I haven't seen yet. Which is normally what I want to look at. If I need to borrow a movie from friend/family/etc, I can put it on the server until I get time to watch it, then delete it when I'm done. With the server I set up all you have to do is put the disc in the tray and close it. Done. The MM software gets the movie, puts it on the hard drive intact, goes out to the MM servers and pulls all the movies data, cover art, actors, format ratngs, etc and it just magically appears in my list. When it's done it ejects the disc. That easy. It burps every once and a while when it can't read a disc but it's relatively rare. I call it my BR Tivo.

The client HTPC I built has a heatpipe chassis and a special high power low wattage CPU. So there is no fan. None. Zero noise in my rack which is in my theater room. Server is a datacenter class Dell 1U rack server and a rackmount SAS 24 drive hot-swap and not so quiet. But it's out in my shop where noise isn't an issue. No vaults to mess with. I have a lot of flexibility on what goes on the server and what does not. And with multiple raid 5 arrays configured in the drive chassis, I have a nice home server for all things non-theater, too. "Free" perk.

I have gone through all the options including streamers like popcorn hour , dune , two htpc,s, with myMovies . I also have unraid server with 30 TB hard drives . Kscape in terms of ease of use and picture quality bests them all without a doubt at least to my eyes . My family always had problem using htpc , to the point they stopped using it after a month. Kscape is piece of cake . I always preferred picture and sound quality of oppo over HtPCs , but K either equals or bests that too. I understand there is a huge price difference , so it comes down to price / benefit ratio and individual finances etc.
post #19 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

My AVS account is the one he never hacked. I was one of the original 6, not Cyclons, but forum members. Doug registered "me" on a bunch of other internet forums and posted as "me" saying stuff I'd never say! I don't think he's active as "me" anymore, as my AVS signature alerted folks that he is a fake!!!

I haven't seen any sign of "Doug Winsor" on AVS (or his various alternative names on AVS) in more than 18 months.

FWIW and IMO the guy was at best weird with his posting on AVS.

Maybe it's time to retire your current tag on this?

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #20 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

I have gone through all the options including streamers like popcorn hour , dune , two htpc,s, with myMovies . I also have unraid server with 30 TB hard drives . Kscape in terms of ease of use and picture quality bests them all without a doubt at least to my eyes . My family always had problem using htpc , to the point they stopped using it after a month. Kscape is piece of cake . I always preferred picture and sound quality of oppo over HtPCs , but K either equals or bests that too. I understand there is a huge price difference , so it comes down to price / benefit ratio and individual finances etc.

I've been able to get my htpc calibrated somewhat and think it turned out great. My parents love the ease of the htpc and they barely know how to use a computer!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #21 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I was lead to believe that a HTPC could be configured to output picture and sound equal to any stand alone player (strictly digitally speaking)? I am currently doing research for a HTPC build and I am doing so on the basis that I hope to achieve a music and HD movie experience such that I don't need a separate blu-ray player (and a K system is waaay out of my individual finances ).
post #22 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I've been able to get my htpc calibrated somewhat and think it turned out great. My parents love the ease of the htpc and they barely know how to use a computer!

I had my theater professionally calibrated . I was watching streamer and then HTPC on 170" wide scope screen with Sim2 Lumis HOST , and I always preferred Oppo over HTPC in terms of picture quality. I of course used top of the line NVIDIA graphics card and other components etc.

Regarding ease of use :

I received Kscape boxes- Vault and players. Opened them . Attached power cable, HDMI cable and ethernet cable pressed the power button. They were up and running - just like that - i.e 10 minutes per room. So 4 rooms in less than 1 hour. I have 900 DVD's, close to 280 Blu rays , and 900 CD's. All I needed to do was insert 320 DVD's, CD's, Blu rays at a time and forget about it and they will be stored on the server categorised, metadata/ high res cover art added etc. One click and you can eject all CD's, all DVD's , all blu rays and re insert the next batch .
Samething while watching it just works , you can browse cover art on ipad , integrate the whole thing into the automation system ( i.e; control4, crestron etc). I use control 4. So one click on ipad, or regular control 4 remote does everything .
I am quite savvy with electronics and computers and have been making my servers/ computers etc for several years. But there is no cpmparison in terms of reliability/ quality/ ease of use.

Again it is expensive- whether what it brings to the table is worth the cost is individual decision- If I could not afford K , I will be equally happy with Oppo93 for serious viewing and some streamer for casual viewing. I wont recommend someone spending half of their savings to buy K. But to say that you can get same quality and ease with HTPC is just not true . I have owned both and been in both the camps and have not met anyone who have owned both and thinks otherwise. This argument can go on and on, but unless you own and use K for sometime after HTPC, there is no way of making someone understand , what it is that makes K different.

Mani
post #23 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had my theater professionally calibrated . I was watching streamer and then HTPC on 170" wide scope screen with Sim2 Lumis HOST , and I always preferred Oppo over HTPC in terms of picture quality. I of course used top of the line NVIDIA graphics card and other components etc.

Regarding ease of use :

I received Kscape boxes- Vault and players. Opened them . Attached power cable, HDMI cable and ethernet cable pressed the power button. They were up and running - just like that - i.e 10 minutes per room. So 4 rooms in less than 1 hour. I have 900 DVD's, close to 280 Blu rays , and 900 CD's. All I needed to do was insert 320 DVD's, CD's, Blu rays at a time and forget about it and they will be stored on the server categorised, metadata/ high res cover art added etc. One click and you can eject all CD's, all DVD's , all blu rays and re insert the next batch .
Samething while watching it just works , you can browse cover art on ipad , integrate the whole thing into the automation system ( i.e; control4, crestron etc). I use control 4. So one click on ipad, or regular control 4 remote does everything .
I am quite savvy with electronics and computers and have been making my servers/ computers etc for several years. But there is no cpmparison in terms of reliability/ quality/ ease of use.

Again it is expensive- whether what it brings to the table is worth the cost is individual decision- If I could not afford K , I will be equally happy with Oppo93 for serious viewing and some streamer for casual viewing. I wont recommend someone spending half of their savings to buy K. But to say that you can get same quality and ease with HTPC is just not true . I have owned both and been in both the camps and have not met anyone who have owned both and thinks otherwise. This argument can go on and on, but unless you own and use K for sometime after HTPC, there is no way of making someone understand , what it is that makes K different.

Mani

Not trying to be argumentative but what software did you use with the htpc? Renderers? Filters?

-Kevin

post #24 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Dont remeber t he exact settings---- it was last year I last used it. but I was using MaDVR, LAV filters, ArcSoft TMT. Even if I could equal the video quality , I will still prefer K for the experience and reliabilty. No crash/ rebooting/ updating software etc. There is no way I would be able to rip 1500 discs one by one in whole year , given my schedule and work load. Complete integration into home automation ...I have lot of foreign DVD's, CD's- All I have to do is enetr UPC codes of those discs in info interface on a computer and Kscape automatically looks for metadata / cover art and download it to my server. I can ship DVD's/CD's at K's cost to them to enetr metadata and add bookmarks to those discs on my server( some foreign movies/CD's which are not in database/ not even mymovies). The bookmarks allow for me to start any movie where the movie actually starta and bypass all FBi warnings/ titles etc without having to forward them. I can creat own collection of favorite scenes, or write custom scripts ( havent reached that far yet). List can go on..
If you start with two vaults - you can load 640 discs at a time to be ripped...
post #25 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post

I was lead to believe that a HTPC could be configured to output picture and sound equal to any stand alone player (strictly digitally speaking)? I am currently doing research for a HTPC build and I am doing so on the basis that I hope to achieve a music and HD movie experience such that I don't need a separate blu-ray player (and a K system is waaay out of my individual finances ).

Neither will do source direct (per K) and per my experience with the HTPC, like a simple Oppo will. Is it a bad thing? Sometimes, depends on the source. For BRD, not so much. I agree with Mani, the HTPC setup is not as "smooth" as the K. But that said, almost every feature he listed is part of the MM package now too. But, it comes with some pain and some kludgyness. K is, as far as I know (based on other's trusted input), flawless on execution wihen it comes to the interface functioning properly. The (my) HTPC definately is not. Usually works fine, but every once in a while it hiccups, locks, pops up some windows message in the middle of what you are doing, etc. Annoying for sure. But it has a few advantages. As I said before, depends on you. If not for the cost, there would be no contest IMO. And who knows which will last longest with all the court ridiculousness. The tighter that gets, the more likely the more "bootleg" option will work longer I'd expect. I just hope they keep making BRD's and we aren't all forced to consuming Netflix crap recompressed streams.

post #26 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Neither will do source direct (per K) and per my experience with the HTPC, like a simple Oppo will. Is it a bad thing? Sometimes, depends on the source. For BRD, not so much. I agree with Mani, the HTPC setup is not as "smooth" as the K. But that said, almost every feature he listed is part of the MM package now too. But, it comes with some pain and some kludgyness. K is, as far as I know (based on other's trusted input), flawless on execution wihen it comes to the interface functioning properly. The (my) HTPC definately is not. Usually works fine, but every once in a while it hiccups, locks, pops up some windows message in the middle of what you are doing, etc. Annoying for sure. But it has a few advantages. As I said before, depends on you. If not for the cost, there would be no contest IMO. And who knows which will last longest with all the court ridiculousness. The tighter that gets, the more likely the more "bootleg" option will work longer I'd expect. I just hope they keep making BRD's and we aren't all forced to consuming Netflix crap recompressed streams.

I agree with the conclusion. regarding sourde direct all I can tell you is that I dont miss it with K. I had regular Oppo DVD player (not blu ray)- attached to algolith mosquito and then to DVDO VP50 pro (later changed to iscan Du0). Playing the same DVD's through Kscape gives me equally satisfying or better picture both on Sim2 Lumis and Panasonic Plasma . So I dont miss source direct anymore and even less headaches and tinkering to deal with.
post #27 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had any hicups with mine but I do maintenance on it every week though haha. I do like how the k can store all those discs anjd rip em

post #28 of 34 Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Does anyone know if there is a Kscape dealer in Japan? I have not bothered to research it, so I know I am being lazy asking here.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #29 of 34 Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks.

I guess it's best to keep an Oppo around. Pity they disabled the feature in the Oppo that allowed it to stream movie rips from network storage. I'm still happy that I can get a excellent music experience from a pc with a Lynx PCI-E card.
post #30 of 34 Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
K sort of does source direct, although it is YCbCr 4:4:4 output.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page