Ultra High End DACs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Has anyone heard of Light Harmonic? Who else is selling a $20K DAC into consumer market? Will it sound $16K better than a PWD II? I can't help thinking there really is an "over the top".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Has anyone heard of Light Harmonic? Who else is selling a $20K DAC into consumer market? Will it sound $16K better than a PWD II? I can't help thinking there really is an "over the top".

If you read between the lines of what the professional reviewers are saying (stereophile recently reviewed a bunch of DACs), if you line the usual suspects in the $4000 - $12,000 rnage, your preference will come down to personal taste. I hear very good reports about Weiss 202, Berkeley Alpha, Empirical Audio, Bel Canto, the Dcs Debussy, the Zodiac Gold and the PWD MkII. Of this lineup, the PWD II / Zodiac and / Bel Canto are the cheapest. The PWD Mk II is better than the Zodiac to my ears (I heared both). I for one would never buy anything at the top end of this price range. Then, for those with unlimited fund there is the "Dcs stack", but not everyone likes that sonically either (I heard the then top of the line Dcs stuff 10 years ago and was not impressed).

Bottom line: depending on personal tasste, there is a good chance that $4000 is all you'll ever have to spend to get the best DAC money can buy.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed. Berkely is hard to beat.

When things were poppin back in the day 2007 I sold both BAD and Esoteric. I told most folks to save the money unless they were dead set on Esoteric.

Now Eso was very very good I just thought, to my ear, why spend more...

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Accustic Arts, Burmester, MSB, Wadia S7i (comes with free transort)
Stahl-Tek
Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
These type of value assessments can only be made by the person buying the product. What really is worth four times as much as another product which itself offers good performance? Would some automobiles pass this test as being worth even twice the price? Does a BMW 525 perform twice as good as a Nissan Maxima? Likely not but there are those who chose to buy all sorts of products based upon the value of the perceived or actual performance. I read recently that one test of an audiophile is whether the value of your stereo exceeds the value of your car . So the assessment of the value of a dac will depend largely on how much of an audiophile you are. For the audiophile it's more about ultimate performance and passion whether than a perfect correlation between price and performance.

I think to accurately answer your question, there are a lot of variable that come into play. There is seldom really just a best anything for everyone. A lot will depend upon your personal preferences. I am biased in that I like music with a lot of dynamics. The Allmean brothers is more likely to be playing on my system than any classical music. I find that most components rarely excel at everything and have synergy with all components. The impact of the preamp, could add the dynamics that the PS Audio dac is missing.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.