Replacing Qualia 004 bulb - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had several times success with the lamp replacement on my Qualia 004 now. It took a bit of searching to find the right instructions on various threads here, thanks to those who posted ! I decided just to list my experience in one simple post. It will be easier for the next person trying to do this.

To replace the lamp on the Qualia 004:
You will need:
- a very short phillips screwdriver, supplied by SONY in the lamp replacement box, or just any old one not longer than 2 inches ( a right angle modular would also do fine). This one is to remove the covers.
- a very long Phillips screwdriver (at least 6 inches) to reach down into the lamp housing and loosen the three screws that tighten it
- a flashlight to find the deep buried screws would help.
- a replacement lamp mounted in the lamp housing ( you get one with the projector, the second one free (after writing that 36,000$ check) when you order it from SONY. The next ones are on your own. Order a new housing from SONY for a mere 2800$ or have just your lamp replaced (let me know if you need a source). (The only advantage of ordering a new housing is that you get a little air filter for the front of the projector. I am not describing the procedure to replace that here)

0. Unplug the projector
1. remove the large blue top cover (which has the window for the pretty display panel). Two small black screws are in gap of the projector (near the back where the round lamp housing shows). The screws face forward and you only have a few inches of space for the screw driver here. Just loosen them, they don't come out all the way. Then pull the cover 1/2 inch towards the back and it will come off
2. remove the smaller blue cover on the back portion. Same idea: two small black screws facing back wards in that same gap space.
3. there are two black plastic sliders that are holding the lamp housing in place for convenience while you unscrew it. Keep those blocking the lamp from falling out for now! (I have my projector hanging from the ceiling as most).
4. there are three small gaps in the plastic where you can insert the long screwdriver to get to the mounting screws. Unscrew those (about a 1/4 inch and they stay nicely put. Looking at the replacement lamp housing will help a lot trying to find this for the first time.
5. when the screws are loose, hold the lamp housing and slide the plastic brackets out of the way. The lamp will now fall out into your hand.
6 Insert the new lamp, slide the plastic back to hold it up while you painfully get those three mounting screws to tighten
7. put the back cover on (easy) and put the large front cover back (hard) It has to latch on to four holes and then slide forward a half inch.
8. Plug the projector back in and turn it on

If you did not do a good job putting the covers back you will get an error that a cover is missing. There microswitches sensing that. It probably means you missed one of those latch holes, the cover is on crooked and you did not get to tighten the screws well enough to push those switches.

When you start it back up you will still get the same lamp error. The timer has to be reset first since it does not "mow" that you replaced it.
Let the projector turn itself off in the one minute that it is complaining about the previously dead lamp.

The projector has to be in STANDBY mode and plugged in
On the remote control press: RESET - LEFT - RIGHT - ENTER - power ON

So you are reading this right: you push those buttons on the remote while the projector is actually off and then you power it on. If you wait to long with the "power on" the procedure will not work. If you do the RESET - LEFT - RIGHT - ENTER while it is ON it will not work.

If you do it right the lamp counter will read 0 and you are good to go !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I used to own a Qualia... but what great post! Very helpful.

What is the going rate for a replacement bulb??

Thanks!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

The bulb was 825$, a bit steep for 1500-2000 hours of projector viewing, but I knew that this was not going to be cheap when I bought a 33,000 projector. Sony's price from the lamp housing is waaaay to high: if I had to buy 2800$ lamps all the time I would seriously consider just getting a new projector. (3 of those lamps will get me a pretty good replacement projector!) Still the image quality and light output of the Qualia is bar none from what I have seen from other set-ups.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
It's a great projector if you want or have a 14' screen.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nederlof View Post

Order a new housing from SONY for a mere 2800$ or have just your lamp replaced (let me know if you need a source). (The only advantage of ordering a new housing is that you get a little air filter for the front of the projector. I am not describing the procedure to replace that here)

Still lots of sources for the Ruby bulb, but I haven't found a source for the Qualia. Anyone wants to share? I am looking at 1200 hrs currently and will need one soon
post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
where do I get a bulb and filter for the qualia004?

Thank you for your help!!!!

Bob
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pm sent
post #8 of 8 Old 11-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all your insight, can you let me know where I can get a replacement bulb also how I can clean the filter or get a replacement.

Again thanks for all the input on this site.

kamipost at gmail
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page