Darbee Darblet - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 217 Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Only had about an hour to play with this little device. I placed it between a Lumagen Radiance and a Lumis HOST. No sync issues noted, except once I lost sync while flipping the effect on and off.

It definitely adds a level of clarity to my already sharp DLP picture. I ended up mostly watching with POP at 70%. That may end up being too high after I have more time to evaluate, but it looked pretty good to me. I suspect I will eventually end up somewhere between 50 and 70%.

Overall, I will give it a thumbs up. Definitely a keeper. Will give it a go in 3D on my Optoma tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 217 Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Only had about an hour to play with this little device. I placed it between a Lumagen Radiance and a Lumis HOST. No sync issues noted, except once I lost sync while flipping the effect on and off.

It definitely adds a level of clarity to my already sharp DLP picture. I ended up mostly watching with POP at 70%. That may end up being too high after I have more time to evaluate, but it looked pretty good to me. I suspect I will eventually end up somewhere between 50 and 70%.

Overall, I will give it a thumbs up. Definitely a keeper. Will give it a go in 3D on my Optoma tonight.

Probably the highest compliment to DarbeeDr that someone with a Lumis and Lumagen can appreciate even further improvment on arguably one the best projected images today.
post #33 of 217 Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
It's interesting that some people seem to wonder whether projectors with "already great lenses and focus" like a good DLP would show benefit from a Darbee type device. But it should be obvious if you think about it that it would. The BETTER your projector/lens/focus the more likely you are to be able to observe any changes to your source quality (variations in source quality being more obvious). Therefore any alteration of fine detail or contrast within fine detail would be all the more observable with a well focused projector - essentially you've altered or upgraded your source image and that's what a good projector allows you to see. It should be the reverse, the less clear your projector's image is starting out, the less visible alterations to the source image will be. (That's not to say people with a softer LCOS projector wouldn't see the image becoming sharper - obviously people are seeing that. But rather, one should expect these changes in contrast/detail to be at least as visible using an already well focused DLP projector).

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 217 Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Yes, it seems to be analogous to improving the quality of audio source material, which IMO is the weak link in the chain at this point.

There is no equivalent audio technology, right?

Noah
post #35 of 217 Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Yes, it seems to be analogous to improving the quality of audio source material, which IMO is the weak link in the chain at this point.

There is no equivalent audio technology, right?

From the standpoint of movie soundtracks this is analogous

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411073
post #36 of 217 Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, but I don't see it that way; Atmos is just providing an increase in signal resolution of questionable utility.

I bet just a small % of people will find it worthwhile, and if compared with the Darblet's reported effects would judge it has much less significant.

Noah
post #37 of 217 Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Thanks, but I don't see it that way; Atmos is just providing an increase in signal resolution of questionable utility.

I bet just a small % of people will find it worthwhile, and if compared with the Darblet's reported effects would judge it has much less significant.

I gathered you were referring to a specific method of improving the audio quality noah . The link is about dolbys new 96k upsampling method for all the 24/48 master tracks that then get lossless authoring for bd's

Nothing to do with the multichannel dolby atmos ;though that would have a more profound effect Ime sure

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professio...lby-atmos.html

Agree about the darblet though ; better bang for the buck and its a once only cost ;when there in stock will certainly be getting one
post #38 of 217 Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

I gathered you were referring to a specific method of improving the audio quality noah .

Yes, and I thought you were offering Atmos as such; but in the end we agree

Noah
post #39 of 217 Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In a Meridian set-up, HDMI source devices connect to the HD621 (HDMI interface device) which passees audio information to a G68 or 861 processor and sends video on to the display. Would the HD 621's HDMI output serve as the input to the Darblet which in turn feeds the display? Any effects on audio sync in that arrangement?
post #40 of 217 Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Binegar View Post

In a Meridian set-up, HDMI source devices connect to the HD621 (HDMI interface device) which passees audio information to a G68 or 861 processor and sends video on to the display. Would the HD 621's HDMI output serve as the input to the Darblet which in turn feeds the display? Any effects on audio sync in that arrangement?

The signal delay across the Darblet is 0.2 milliseconds for 1080p/60 (DVI)
-DD
post #41 of 217 Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 185
If I were to install one of these in my system (Source--->SSP--->Lumagen--->PJ), would I install it after or before the Lumagen? Would I first calibrate the system and then insert the Darbee or have the Darbee part of the system when doing calibration?

If the results line up with the images on noted in the white paper, it appears to be a pretty slick product (and reasonably priced).

R 8:28

post #42 of 217 Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
install the Darblet after the radiance, & set any of the shapness enhancements in the lumagen back to default..

Darbe DR recommends to Calibrate with the Darblet out of the loop then adjust the Darblet to taste by eye then re check Calibration to ensure nothing has changed..
post #43 of 217 Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Reading the posts on this thread has got me curious about this unit.

Frank

post #44 of 217 Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I received my Darbee yesterday and like what I see so far, it is amazing to watch on vs off
post #45 of 217 Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I received my Darbee yesterday and like what I see so far, it is amazing to watch on vs off

Lon, now that you've had the Darbee for awhile, what's your impression???

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #46 of 217 Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Reading the posts on this thread has got me curious about this unit.

Got me curious enough to order one. AVS comes through again with same day shipping on it even so I should have mine Thursday. Looking forward to seeing how it works nestled between my AVM50V and Planar 8150.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #47 of 217 Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Steve:

I like it a lot from what I have seen so far
post #48 of 217 Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Nifty product. Goes between my Lumagen and projector and as long as you don't get crazy with the settings, it is all upside. In some cases (Like the snow scenes in The Art Of Flight), it is WAY past "nifty".

I will try on my 6 year old Samsung Plasma and if it works on it, I will buy another one.

post #49 of 217 Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Lon, now that you've had the Darbee for awhile, what's your impression???

Steve:

Having watched Bluray last night of 3 Musketeers, The Darbee in On Mode HD @ 50 % revealed detail not available with Darbee off, perticularly when viewing details such as hair and face. It is as if with Darbee on the projector is much more focused and with Darbee off the projector less focused. I have not been aware of artifacting in this Mode.
post #50 of 217 Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Its all your fault Lon - my Darbee is on its way as we "speak"!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #51 of 217 Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So I got my Darbee a couple days ago, but ran into a bit of trouble last night. I've got it hooked up between my AVM50V and Planar 8150, and have all my sources (Xbox 360, SageTV HD300, Pioneer 51FD) hooked to the 50V, all via HDMI. The first night things seemed "OK" with the Xbox and HD300, but then last night I went to try the 51FD, and found it "flips out" with the Darbee in the loop. What I mean is it seems there's some sort of handshaking issue because the output just cycles on/off continuously.

Also the quotes around the OK are because I've had some random issues with, I wouldn't call it sparkles, but I'll call it wrong colors displayed in parts of the screen. Now that started with the addition of the 50V, but the Darbee seems to exacerbate it.

So what do you think, I'm leaning to an HDMI cable issue. I'm running a 50' 22AWG Monoprice cable which is no longer necessary since I rearranged my equipment, but has always worked up to 1080p60. I've been debating about getting something more reasonable, like 25', but I was halfway waiting for Monoprice to release their Redmere cables. Though my other though was to just get a BJC Series FE or Series 1 cable...

Thoughts?

post #52 of 217 Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a weird problem last night as well. I was trying to fast forward on my Oppo to get to the movie (past the previews) and all of a sudden I got stripes (or what looked liked stripes) on the screen. I turned off the Oppo, turned it back on and fixed.

But if that is the only problem I have with it on occasion, the Darbee still represents, by far, the best improvement for dollar spent on video since I have had a home theater (1991).

Amazing product. AMAZING!!!

post #53 of 217 Old 06-09-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like it was the cable. I had a "spare" 25' basically generic cable, I put that in in place of the 50' and things look much better, my BD player can sync/handshake, and some of the other issues I had now seem to be gone. Now time to play with the Darblet and find the sweet spot biggrin.gif

post #54 of 217 Old 06-10-2012, 05:59 AM

Liked: 10
The Darbee box creates significant artifacts when processing text. Do others see such text artifacts? Are these artifacts created only for text or other high contrast images?
post #55 of 217 Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9603 View Post

The Darbee box creates significant artifacts when processing text. Do others see such text artifacts? Are these artifacts created only for text or other high contrast images?

What settings are you using? Screenshot??

My cinema:

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #56 of 217 Old 06-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

Okay after reading this thread and also review from Joe I'm getting close to maybe pulling the trigger to get one but maybe not if I already have something else like it. What I mean is I have a Denon AVR-4311CI. It has a video sharpening type adjustment built into the video processing menu screen. (I believe it is using the ABT 2015 chip) Would I be wasting money on the Darbee? I would hope not as all here speak highly of this unit. Now I would imagine that I would set the Denon video setting to default if/when using the Darbee. Correct? I guess Joe might also be able to chime in after testing both pieces. Maybe he tried the sharpening feature on the Denon or hoping someone else has here. (Thinking out loud). So folks your opinions would be great in this matter.

Equipment used:

XBMC PC
Bluray Player
Denon AVR4311CI
HDMI out to
LG 181 LCos Projector
Panamorph U480 Lens
2.35:1 110" AT Center Stage XD Screen

Now I really like the adjustment that I have in the Denon when using the U480 lens as it adds that extra pop and film grain feel. But I as many are always looking for more pop and feel from the image we are watching. Without adding bad noise or artifacts to the image.
Thank you for your time...

Chris

"The Boy has no patients" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan

Work is what we do to pay for our HT.
With time & patience I located the 13 M&K S-100B's I needed for my 13.2 HT build (double side surrounds) talk about timbre matching.

post #57 of 217 Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike9603 View Post

Just been playing with mine and yes, you're correct - I see smearing with text when values above about 40% are used. Below that the problem is visible but subtle enough to be missed/ignored.

On Chronicles of Riddick, for instance, chapter 2 (The Riddick chase sequence) - when the planet name comes up you can see smearing at the top of some letters...

On my TV's EPG it's even more obvious.

My cinema:

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #58 of 217 Old 06-17-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So who's using this with a high end projector?

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #59 of 217 Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

So who's using this with a high end projector?

Not sure what a "high end" projector but I am using it with a JVC RS55 with anamorphic lens, a Lumagen VP and love it. Setting on the Darbee is on HD at about 50. An amazing bargain. If you crank up the setting too high, it makes the picture very "cartoonish" looking but at or near where I am, no downside at all. As others have said, it seems to remove a bit of "haze" so the picture just "pops" a bit more.

post #60 of 217 Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Similar to Audioguy, I'm using one with a Sony1000 and Lumagen, with it typicially set at 40.   I like the result.

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page