Darbee Darblet - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 219 Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
NAIM101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hello, just recieved the Darbee from crutchtiled today and been watching for about 3 hours. At first, i didnt notice much but after about 3 hours or so it seems like i cant live without it. This thing is here to stay. Vey good product. Highly recommend it.

P.S - it was hooked up to a 55inch LED.
NAIM101 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 219 Old 09-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Member
 
aftcomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm not going to lie. It look like a refined way to turn up the sharpness on your display. Highly overrated and not worth the money at all. I bet you MadVR will get you way better results.
aftcomet is offline  
post #213 of 219 Old 09-03-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post
I'm not going to lie. It look like a refined way to turn up the sharpness on your display. Highly overrated and not worth the money at all.
Have you seen it? Or is this another theoretical condemnation?

Quote:
I bet you MadVR will get you way better results.
MadVR is very nice, but they are different things, one is not a substitute or alternative for the other. Excellent scaling (MadVR, Lumagen, etc) + Darbee is where it's at

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
stanger89 is offline  
post #214 of 219 Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Member
 
aftcomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Have you seen it? Or is this another theoretical condemnation?



MadVR is very nice, but they are different things, one is not a substitute or alternative for the other. Excellent scaling (MadVR, Lumagen, etc) + Darbee is where it's at
I haven't but just judging from the screen caps it's easy to see it's not an improvement at all. I think a lot of it is confirmation bias and I'm not seeing the whole wow factor. If anything, the images look worse.
aftcomet is offline  
post #215 of 219 Old 09-03-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post
I haven't but just judging from the screen caps it's easy to see it's not an improvement at all. I think a lot of it is confirmation bias and I'm not seeing the whole wow factor. If anything, the images look worse.
I thought so.

You really have to see it for yourself, 99% of the screenshots have it "calibrated" way too high to make the before/after obvious, and I agree most of the screenshots you see (even the ones on the Darbee site) do look worse with it engaged. But at moderate/appropriate settings, it doesn't look at all like sharpening, looks like an upgrade to a better display with higher MTF. The fine detail is clearer, and does not look "sharpened".

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
stanger89 is offline  
post #216 of 219 Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Member
 
aftcomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I thought so.

You really have to see it for yourself, 99% of the screenshots have it "calibrated" way too high to make the before/after obvious, and I agree most of the screenshots you see (even the ones on the Darbee site) do look worse with it engaged. But at moderate/appropriate settings, it doesn't look at all like sharpening, looks like an upgrade to a better display with higher MTF. The fine detail is clearer, and does not look "sharpened".
Yeah but is it a $300 improvement? For that kind of money I could upgrade the GPU in my PC to something really nice and see a MAJOR improvement in gaming and even video. By running MadVR with NNEDi3 and image doubling at near max, I'm sure it would look a lot better than the Darbee. Plus you'd have horsepower for gaming as well.

The value just doesn't seem to be there.
aftcomet is offline  
post #217 of 219 Old 09-03-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post
Yeah but is it a $300 improvement?
It's been the biggest improvement/$ I've put in my HT. I've done a few things with a bigger improvement, but they were way more expensive.

Quote:
By running MadVR with NNEDi3 and image doubling at near max, I'm sure it would look a lot better than the Darbee. Plus you'd have horsepower for gaming as well.
I think you're missing that they do entirely separate things. When I upgraded to a Lumagen XE, that was an improvement (this would be like you upgrading your PC and MadVR settings), but saying a Lumagen or MadVR look better than Darbee is like saying an amplifier sounds better than room correction, sure they're both in the audio chain, but they do different things and are not replacements for each other.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
stanger89 is offline  
post #218 of 219 Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Member
 
gardear1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern nevada
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It's been the biggest improvement/$ I've put in my HT. I've done a few things with a bigger improvement, but they were way more expensive.

I think you're missing that they do entirely separate things. When I upgraded to a Lumagen XE, that was an improvement (this would be like you upgrading your PC and MadVR settings), but saying a Lumagen or MadVR look better than Darbee is like saying an amplifier sounds better than room correction, sure they're both in the audio chain, but they do different things and are not replacements for each other.
Plus 1. I've had my Darblet 3 weeks now with a 1080p Epson Projector-120" screen. Will it blow your mind? No. But I wouldn't watch without it now. Best way I've seen it described is, it would be like removing protective plastic film from your tv screen. It is not like jacking your sharpness setting up. For me, I keep it right around 70-80 hi def (goes to 120). There is increased depth and no image ringing.
Negatives: IMO it does not work well for anything less than HD. Also if a film has much grain to it, it is enhanced as well.
But it was well worth $300. I haven't tried it with my Kuro because I'm sure I'll want another one!
gardear1 is offline  
post #219 of 219 Old 10-15-2014, 06:09 AM
Member
 
ntculenuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just hooked up the darblet in my system. Haven't had a chance to watch a movie yet just direcTV. So far i can see the difference although not substantial i can see a difference. I keep turning it off and on to see what it is doing. After seeing what most peoples setting are i set mine on HD @ 81%. Plan on playing with it more when i have some time to sit with it.

Connected to monitor out of receiver to 65ZT60. DirecTV and OPPO going through receiver, TV calibrated with settings off internet all processing from OPPO, receiver and DTV turned off.

ntculenuf is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off