Darbee Darblet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 210 Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member
 
LJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brookville, NY
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What do you guys think about this for our high end projectors? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1399154
LJG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 210 Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Member
 
aceg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I picked one up. It is an amazing product for the price. In moderation it adds quite a bit of "sharpening" of the picture. I've tried but can really find no downside or negative impact to the picture.
aceg1 is offline  
post #3 of 210 Old 05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 21,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #4 of 210 Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Senior Member
 
stephenbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

Joerod - the link to the review on your homepage is not working.
stephenbr is online now  
post #5 of 210 Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Senior Member
 
stephenbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

Joerod - the link to the review on your homepage is not working.

I tried again from Joerod's homepage and it works - just didn't work when trying to access it from the review page.
stephenbr is online now  
post #6 of 210 Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 AM
 
AV Science Sales 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Lon. I just came back from visiting Alan. I brought my Darblet with me and Alan kept it. Enough said. I had to our stock room ship another to me. We have them in stock at $249 plus $20 freight. Usual try it and return it if you don't like it policy applies. I think the better your projector and screen(s) the more you would appreciate the improvement made by the Darblet. Highly recommended for all, but especially the big boys.
AV Science Sales 4 is offline  
post #7 of 210 Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member
 
LJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brookville, NY
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mark:

Is it similar to the contrast enhancement on your Lumagen Radiance?
LJG is offline  
post #8 of 210 Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 21,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

I tried again from Joerod's homepage and it works - just didn't work when trying to access it from the review page.

I have to fix that. Thanks.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #9 of 210 Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Alan Gouger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

Mark:

Is it similar to the contrast enhancement on your Lumagen Radiance?

Hi Lon

Not sure what is going on in the Darbee but it does appear some sort of contrast enhancement is taking place to extract detail. The processing does not change the contrast of the image like the Lumagen. Like anything else as long as you do not over process the image I did not see any negatives if keeping this in the video chain. It gets a thumbs up
Alan Gouger is offline  
post #10 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Member
 
batborsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi! does av science store ship internationally?
batborsen is offline  
post #11 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

I am on the edge of my seat.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

Ericglo is offline  
post #12 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Darblet DarbeeVision Review done. Go to my homepage (click on my name to the left then click on my Homepage) to check it out.

I see you emphasize the improvement with DirectTV more than Bluray, but looking at the pictures from "The Grey", I see very noticeable differences at both 40% and 80%. Those photos alone make me want to give it a whirl with my oldish VW-60.

Nice job. Thanks.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Jive Turkey is offline  
post #13 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: good old USA
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Lon. I just came back from visiting Alan. I brought my Darblet with me and Alan kept it. Enough said. I had to our stock room ship another to me. We have them in stock at $249 plus $20 freight. Usual try it and return it if you don't like it policy applies. I think the better your projector and screen(s) the more you would appreciate the improvement made by the Darblet. Highly recommended for all, but especially the big boys.

Currently shown as "out of stock" on the AVS store. Any idea when it'll be available again?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Jive Turkey is offline  
post #14 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I see you emphasize the improvement with DirectTV more than Bluray, but looking at the pictures from "The Grey", I see very noticeable differences at both 40% and 80%. Those photos alone make me want to give it a whirl with my oldish VW-60.

Nice job. Thanks.

I feel skittish about even posting in this forum, but here is a quick review Jeff Meier had same day while on the road working 2 Mondays ago, about 3 hours after touching up an RS50 on a 2.8 HP screen in my theater.

These were after carefully playing with the remote control and the settings in 5 point increments on mainly the Hi Def and Full Pop modes. There's a third for "gamers" and CGI. True to all of the "purists" with mainly his Bluray reference copy of Casino Royale, he really only commented from the 3 lowest settings in Hi Def ..... 5 / 10 / 15.


http://homecinemaguru.com/?p=1909
RonF is offline  
post #15 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
mani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What exactly does this device do??
I already have HOST part of sim2 as a video processor. I use sharpness level somewhere in the middle. Sim2 being 3 chip DLP doesnt have much issues with motion blur or POP in the image or sharpness. So what will this device do that video processor cant do ?? It seems like a stripped down video processor that just increased sharpness ? What exactly is in it? What does it exactly do to the signal? Why not get DVD edge for less than 500 new and have much more functions??

Mani
mani is offline  
post #16 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Member
 
DarbeeDr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

What exactly does this device do??
I already have HOST part of sim2 as a video processor. I use sharpness level somewhere in the middle. Sim2 being 3 chip DLP doesnt have much issues with motion blur or POP in the image or sharpness. So what will this device do that video processor cant do ?? It seems like a stripped down video processor that just increased sharpness ? What exactly is in it? What does it exactly do to the signal? Why not get DVD edge for less than 500 new and have much more functions??

Mani


This White Paper explains the genesis of the technology and development of the product. It may answer many of your questions that relate to "why" DVP is qualitatively different and better.
-DD

DarbeeVision White Paper
DarbeeDr is offline  
post #17 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

Hi! does av science store ship internationally?

Please shoot me an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #18 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member
 
LJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brookville, NY
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am going to try one what the hell, Mark you have an email...
LJG is offline  
post #19 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
mani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

This White Paper explains the genesis of the technology and development of the product. It may answer many of your questions that relate to "why" DVP is qualitatively different and better.
-DD

DarbeeVision White Paper

sounds intriguing....Now if I want to try it , I have few questions:

- Where do I exactly place it in the chain? Before the video processor ( i.e. HOST of Sim2 2 Lumis in my case ) or after the HOST (i.e. beteen HOST and projector?
- Will I need recalibration after adding Darbee (i.e. ) will it change contrast or black level / colors or any other attributres in a way that needs recalibration ( I understand it will increase sharpness and perceived contrast and depth , so that obviously we wont recalibrate for )
- Have any HDMI handshake issues been reported with Sim2 or Oppo or Kscape?

Thanks
mani
mani is offline  
post #20 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

sounds intriguing....Now if I want to try it , I have few questions:

- Where do I exactly place it in the chain? Before the video processor ( i.e. HOST of Sim2 2 Lumis in my case ) or after the HOST (i.e. beteen HOST and projector?
- Will I need recalibration after adding Darbee (i.e. ) will it change contrast or black level / colors or any other attributres in a way that needs recalibration ( I understand it will increase sharpness and perceived contrast and depth , so that obviously we wont recalibrate for )
- Have any HDMI handshake issues been reported with Sim2 or Oppo or Kscape?

Thanks
mani

Well, since it is an HDMI device, it has to be before the HOST. I went ahead and ordered one yesterday, so I should be able to answer your other questions.
cal87 is offline  
post #21 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member
 
LJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Brookville, NY
Posts: 3,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post


Well, since it is an HDMI device, it has to be before the HOST. I went ahead and ordered one yesterday, so I should be able to answer your other questions.

If the host is a video processor the darbee should go after it not before
LJG is offline  
post #22 of 210 Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
mani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess I was not thinking straight , HOST has HDMI's in and optical out which goes to PJ. So it has to go before HOST. Now is it still worth it if all the video processing is going to happen after Darbee?
mani is offline  
post #23 of 210 Old 05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

I guess I was not thinking straight , HOST has HDMI's in and optical out which goes to PJ. So it has to go before HOST. Now is it still worth it if all the video processing is going to happen after Darbee?

The HOST is really no different than the non-HOST version. It is just an input box with fiberoptic output which allows you to go a long distance. I think the processing is the same as the non-HOST version.

I think any projector or display has some degree of processing, so I do not think your concern is valid.

Now, whether there is any benefit, we'll have to see.
cal87 is offline  
post #24 of 210 Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Member
 
wmassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

What exactly does this device do??
I already have HOST part of sim2 as a video processor. I use sharpness level somewhere in the middle. Sim2 being 3 chip DLP doesnt have much issues with motion blur or POP in the image or sharpness. So what will this device do that video processor cant do ?? It seems like a stripped down video processor that just increased sharpness ? What exactly is in it? What does it exactly do to the signal? Why not get DVD edge for less than 500 new and have much more functions??

Mani

These may also help explain the science behind this process
http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/D...e-DVP;CES-2011
http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/D...on-DVP-History
wmassie is offline  
post #25 of 210 Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the case of your SSP having built in video processing, like mine, would you put the DD between the SSP and projector or between the source and SSP?

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

mmiles is offline  
post #26 of 210 Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JlgLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The HOST is not a dedicated VP, it is as Cal87 has stated. It does process just like any other display. It was built to help with long cable runs and a need for additional inputs.


Jim
JlgLaw is offline  
post #27 of 210 Old 05-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Member
 
DarbeeDr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post

sounds intriguing....Now if I want to try it , I have few questions:

- Where do I exactly place it in the chain? Before the video processor ( i.e. HOST of Sim2 2 Lumis in my case ) or after the HOST (i.e. beteen HOST and projector?
- Will I need recalibration after adding Darbee (i.e. ) will it change contrast or black level / colors or any other attributres in a way that needs recalibration ( I understand it will increase sharpness and perceived contrast and depth , so that obviously we wont recalibrate for )
- Have any HDMI handshake issues been reported with Sim2 or Oppo or Kscape?

Thanks
mani

Darbee Visual Presence technology doesn't modify noise, blocking, or scale the image, so put the Darblet after such global image modification technologies. The Darblet creates a greater appearance of clarity and natural contrast so you may turn down the sharpening and contrast sweetening/modification technologies in the devices that are in line before it.
- DD
DarbeeDr is offline  
post #28 of 210 Old 05-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Member
 
CRAZZZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Westminster, CA.
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbeeDr View Post

Darbee Visual Presence technology doesn't modify noise, blocking, or scale the image, so put the Darblet after such global image modification technologies. The Darblet creates a greater appearance of clarity and natural contrast so you may turn down the sharpening and contrast sweetening/modification technologies in the devices that are in line before it.
- DD

So the Darblet should go after the source and before the display. Such as Hd Tivo into hdmi switcher, then into my Algolith Mosquito which outputs into the Darblet and finally on to my projector. Please let me now if this is correct.

Oh, any plans to offer a component input/output version?. I still have and use a few Jvc W-vhs and D-vhs units without Hdmi.

Thanks,
CK

I'm no videophile, but I know what looks good to me.
CRAZZZY is offline  
post #29 of 210 Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
cal87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FedEx just showed up with a little package.
I wasn't expecting it so soon. Hopefully will have a chance to play a little bit tonight.
cal87 is offline  
post #30 of 210 Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Member
 
DarbeeDr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post

So the Darblet should go after the source and before the display. Such as Hd Tivo into hdmi switcher, then into my Algolith Mosquito which outputs into the Darblet and finally on to my projector. Please let me now if this is correct.

Oh, any plans to offer a component input/output version?. I still have and use a few Jvc W-vhs and D-vhs units without Hdmi.

Thanks,
CK

The lash up you describe is correct.

There is a significant market for an analog interfaced version of our product. We can only say that we are hoping to eventually directly satisfy such needs. In the mean time, the Darblet is happy to work with HDMI compatible A/D converters.
-DD
DarbeeDr is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off